Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
New Vegas was completely broken on consoles. I actually felt embarrassed that I advised my friend to get it because it would just crash on his PS3 all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

"Hello World" has bugs. Even a program that just closes itself has bugs.

There's a difference between that and the 'this game will corrupt your save files in other games and your computer will burn down your dog' you get when you take the outside Internet's view of New Vegas at face value.

Also people care enough about New Vegas to fix the bugs. The same fixes sort of get shoehorned into 3, and not always with a proper conversion for it. Evaluation of the games' staying power with respect to each other is left as an exercise for the reader.

I think your conflating bugs with something that isn't meeting the product spec.

Progression blocking bugs are the ones that matter the most in games. There's nothing less fun than having so save every so often because a Fallout memory leak will force crash to desktop. That's how a game gets uninstalled.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

My fiancee and I tried to love Dungeon Siege 3 but just couldn't do it. Love the mechanics and gameplay, but how the hell did an Obsidian game end up with characters and writing THAT BAD? It is the most generic of fantasy settings with a few gears tossed in because Steampunk. The gameplay, while really competent, just couldn't get me past my own loathing for my characters, much less the boring crap they were killing.

We never did get our revenge on Jeyne Kassinder. I have no idea how, but they managed to make Torchlight II's world feel deep and interesting by comparison. WTF, Obsidian.

The impact that writing had on the game's pace was terrible. There were some neat lore points, but the game slogged when it came to the conversation system.

Ironically, the gameplay is really fun and the DLC is pretty good. Treasures of the Sun is all about the action.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Gort posted:

I was kinda perplexed that Diablo 3 had zero choices throughout the entire game and you were just supposed to accept stuff like, "Reassembling this clearly evil undead necromancer dude is a good idea that will work out well for us" while he mwahahas it up in the background.

Actually the necromancer was neat because of how much it was foreshadowed. You're right there when he gets his new life and you immediately wreck his poo poo. Implicitly, it means that the PC is strong enough to be there to stop him and that you were one step ahead all the time.

Compare this with the actual betrayal of Adria and Leahiablo and Blizzard still pulls some subtle twists. I actually cheered for Leahiablo because Imperius is such a stinky butt.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I sort of wonder if Metzen was stealing notes from someone else or something for the earlier games. I mean D1 was really subdued and dark, and D2 wasn't quite as mysterious but still pretty alright. Some of the retcons were dumb and it was hard to take Hell seriously when it was just a closet with a greasefire in it but still.

D3 is just painful. They have so much money. Hire a real person instead of a used up husk please.

I'm almost convinced that you can hire Wrestling writers and get better stories for most videogames.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Do people play the first half of ME2 and go 'ok I need to see the start of this game even though I didn't bother to finish the last one' or something?

Actually that happened to me. When my crew got caught in ME2, I just stopped playing the game and uninstalled :ragequit:

I ended up playing ME3 because the multiplayer was amazing. Learning the tips and tricks from MP made the singleplayer combat a lot more fun.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Phenotype posted:

What is the best game on Steam that is like Final Fantasy Tactics? I just played XCOM - thanks for the recommendation, by the way - but I'm in the mood for something more RPG-esque, something I can relax with after work and not worry about clicking things quickly.

Shadowrun Returns is pretty good.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Bioware is really overrated, they're like a living effigy of nostalgia or something.

The new post-EA Bioware is a bit underrated in my books. I couldn't really stand their older games like Baldur's Gate, Jade Empire and KOTOR 1, whereas the newer titles are much more exciting to play.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Have you tried Skulls of the Shogun?

Skulls of Shogun takes a while to get going - it doesn't really get interesting until 4 hours into the game when you unlock most of the monks. The multiplayer might be better, but I never had any luck getting in a match.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Halfway looks pretty legit. Lasersquad/Rebelstar Tactics are great games to take inspiration from.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 21, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Let's lay off the good goon hiddenmovement and talk about the 25% off Steam Cards from Gamestop:

http://www.kongregate.com/pages/lionheart-promo

Slap the coupon on and get 20 steambux for 15$.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

IF it's anything like their other coupons they don't allow you to use them on gift cards. I didn't see it in their terms on the page but just bear that in mind.

They usually don't work, but these ones do.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7074264-5-off-gamestop-coupon-for-playing-lionheart-tactics#comments

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

"Think this might be perpetuating unflattering stereotypes about this demographic?"

"Nah, why?"

At the end of it all, it appears gaming now has its equivalent of a low budget underground gay flick. Neither a workable satire nor an engaging set of gameplay mechanics, My Ex-Boyfriend the Space Tyrant’s chief value is its existence. And that’s not an all-consuming condemnation. The title has already demonstrated a surprising potential for fostering a conversation about gay representations in the gaming industry, just by a few press demos and a Greenlight campaign. It’s a noble function to serve, just don’t mistake it for a reason to actually play it at its current price. Once it hits below $7.50, it’s an adventure worthwhile, but mostly because of FlirtBot.

http://gaygamer.net/2013/11/review-my-ex-boyfriend-the-space-tyrant/

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

averox posted:

One of the screenshots shows the protagonist seemingly waking up from a one night stand, wrapped in a bed sheet, and commenting that the messy room must have meant she had a good time he previous night. Seems like a winner of a game.

lol, they just had sex :hfive:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Tezzeract posted:

http://www.kongregate.com/pages/lionheart-promo

Slap the coupon on and get 20 steambux for 15$.

Just wanted to chime in that the 5$ discount worked for me. Hit up your Apple nerd buddies to get you these sweet coupons.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of free Origin stuff, I just loaded it up to redeem Sims 2 and it also gave me a free copy of Peggle AND automatically downloaded the Collectors Weapons/Armor set for Mass Effect 2.

Origin doesn't do great discounts. They do great giveaways.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Man, Magic 2015 is hard. I really miss the premade decks. I just don't have the effort it takes to arrange a bunch of boosters in to a solid deck. I somewhat regret my white/blue initial choice, but it's going to take a fair amount of packs to get enough cards to create anything else.

White/Blue is pretty decent but it's not a 'turn everything sideways to win' aggro deck. You have to make good use of the convoke and your blue fliers. You'll get some nice enchants later on that let you draw on attacking/getting damage through.

If you really want to switch colors, you can grind the Explore Innistrad node to unlock a few starter decks. But a lot of the challenge is from your opponent's cheating starting hands that allow them to play the perfect opening.

Ghostlight posted:

Shandalar 2012 is a Windows 7 working version with all the necessary bugfixes, new backgrounds and new card art.

It really is the best Magic game ever made. I don't think they'd be able to do it again though since it really thrives on long abandoned ante rules and hard colour-counters that no longer exist in the metagame. The computer-only random cards were a nice touch though, so maybe they'd just need to rely on those to shore up the missing parts.

Shandalar owns owns owns. Just a warning though - it takes a bit of an adjustment getting used to it if you're coming from the newer MTGs.

Creatures are terrible, artifact control (Winter's Orb/Icy Manipulator) is ridiculous, there's mana burn, Blue is a dirty cheater and there are Mox cards. Ante should die in a fire - punishes losing way too much when you're starting out.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 25, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

You mean teaches you to pick your fights!

Not with the decks you start out with and the aggressive mages that go out of their way to challenge you.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Ragequit posted:

I played a handful of Explore Innistrad. No starter decks were unlocked, unless you meant having enough cards to make a new one from scratch?

I am doing all right with my deck - halfway through the second area now.

New starters unlock once you get enough cards that fit into the starter deck archetype. Getting 100% unlocks on Innistrad nets you a few decks (black/white and probably black/blue.)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts

Shadowrun Dragonfall is going to be standalone, so :getin:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Mannnn, gently caress the new Magic game. I am thoroughly sick of the W/G deck I started with, but I haven't unlocked nearly enough cards to build a new deck.

Hitting up the explore nodes is the way to go. They tend to be skewed towards two colors which means getting 100% unlocks one or two starter deck archetypes.

The fairly unique deck archetypes are G/W graveyard revival, B/W life gain/loss, R/G Monsters and Dragons Ramp, U/G Evolve and a couple more.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Decent sale on Diablo 3 and expansion. It's been the ARPG talk of the thread.

https://www.g2a.com/weeklysale

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I've been doing that, but I don't know how the mechanics of it work. I had heard there's a 900-card limit, and I didn't want to fill up all my card slots with one plane's cards.

So do the card limits (4 of each common, 3 of each uncommon, etc.) keep you from filling up your available slots or do the explore nodes eventually stop paying out boosters or what?

Once all the cards get unlocked on a plane, stop getting boosters. So getting your planes to 100% is fine.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Sober posted:

Someone told me Warframe was a good substitute for ME3 multiplayer and they lied to me. The missions are so drat long and except for maybe one mission type, nothing similar, and it seems super boring for PVE that it made me want to play PVP shooters again. Well, maybe not BF4, but still. Hell, I'll play Planetside 2 again, even if that is mired in F2P bullshit because at least it has the scale going for it.

It's a good free substitute - the wave based combat is passable. But yeah ME3 multiplayer is in a league of its own.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

I thought I'd hate Diablo's story since I spoiled it for myself before playing, but it was still entertaining. Sagacious Zu was some crazy potsmoking sage that came out of nowhere. The bad guys are laughably incompetent - but Diablo him/herself was pretty boss.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Those Last Remanent guides are probably pretty useful. I found the game to be incredibly confusing from playing it. That said, my favorite JRPGs are the 2D and strategy ones, so the game wasn't really my thing.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 29, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Got try out Injustice. It takes a while to get used to the mechanics - the block and hit visuals are very similar. The combat can feel a bit stiff in the beginning (the neutral game isn't quite as satisfying as in Street Fighter) and mashing is encouraged because you get some standard combos out of chaining together neutrals.

That said, the game is great. The storymode is fantastic and the heroes are a lot of fun to use, which is honestly the most important part for casual fighting game players.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think more than anything, they done hosed up because the game is just plain lovely. Dungeon Siege 3 had some redeemable qualities to it. Sacred 3 is just a poo poo game. If it was a different kind of game from the first two but still good, there would still be crybabies but they wouldn't get as much hate.

Have you played the game yet? From the trailers, it looks pretty decent as an action game. I doubt it's worth 50 bucks, but it looks like a good 10$ pickup.

Edit: At this point, ARPG loot has become the standard WoW style gear levels (except for a few games like Torchlight and Path of Exile.) It's not a huge loss to exclude loot from the game ... it just means people won't compulsively play the game to farm items.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 1, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

I wasn't a fan of Van Helsing but the biggest reason was the poor scaling for lower end systems. Playing the game with a good framerate makes a world of difference and I recommend it to people that aren't using integrated graphics cards.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Should I feel bad I've never played Diablo 1/2/3?

At this point you'd probably played some variant of it so its not a huge loss. But back in the day, these were the best dungeon crawlers on the market.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Got to try out Defiance after it went F2P after a hiatus. It's a pretty easy recommendation - the shooting is fun, the gun loot experimentation is enjoyable, and F2P increased its population a bunch. Plus the show is still a guilty pleasure.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

MooCowlian posted:

I heard that a couple of months ago, they made a patch which badly hosed scaling and progression or something. Is that as big a deal as the Defiance thread made it seem, and is it fixed? I quite liked it to jump into occasionally, but if it's as messed up as they said it was...

Don't think I got far enough to notice any difference. I seem to scale up to more difficult encounters though, so it doesn't seem to be so bad.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Fat Care-Bear posted:

Only play Borderlands 2 singleplayer if you hate yourself

I actually enjoy them singleplayer over multiplayer. The key is to minimize your time playing the sidequests.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Dominic White likes every game ever made, especially if it's indie. This is a known fact.

This is probably the best attitude. Because there are always games that are actually bad like Air Control.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Ragequit posted:

I make others ragequit.

Your controller doesn't fool me.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

I haven't heard too many folks talk about this game, but Ghost Recon Phantoms is pretty neat. Definitely worth trying out if you want a decent PVP shooter.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Some free codes for in game items in Defiance: ORANGE and BIOHAZARD

http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/en/game/ego-codes/

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

The Deadly Hume posted:

Why are there so many broken people in game development/publishing.

Interacting with critics breaks the brains of the creative types.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

This is pretty great:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/6/5279722/steam-sale-stack-of-shame

So should we be ashamed? Do we need better strategies when it comes to dealing with our backlog? Is it time to get our spending under control and try to play the games we own? Of course not. The system is working just fine, thank you, and it's time to stop pretending otherwise.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

Borderlands 2 is exceptionally lovely in this regard, because the GOTY doesn't include all the DLC either. Not buying unless it's complete, 2K!

You're not really missing anything if you just get the GOTY. The Headhunter DLC is meant for people who want to farm gear and fight more raid bosses.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Been messing around with Star Wars: Clash of Clans. I like how even with all the IAP/P2W nonsense, the game manages to be better than all the previous Star Wars strategy games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The first season of Korra is much, much better than the second, and is pretty good up until the last two episodes. Season 3 just finished airing and while not quite as good as the first season, it's pretty great. None of them are as good as TLA, so just tailor your expectations. :(

Basically skip s02 and watch s03.

Season 2 was pretty great towards the end and I enjoyed it more than Season 1. But yeah Season 3 is bonkers good.

• Locked thread