Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

You know what would be awesome? If I had known before buying during a sale that I would have to sign up for some sketchy third party service with my e-mail address to be able to play at all! Welp, I was jonesing for something like Aerobiz, but looks like I'm not playing Airline Tycoon II after all since I'm not desperate enough to want even more stupid spam in my life.
Couldn't you just make a email address you'll never use again?

I mean, it's still a pain, but it takes like one minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

duckfarts, admittedly pro-hitler
Well I mean hitler was pretty bad but he didn't gas any threads

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Epsilon Plus posted:

So, how do people feel about Dynasty Warriors 8? I assume the core gameplay hasn't changed terribly much since the last one I played, which was probably 4 or 5 or something. It's not a crappy console port locked to some bizarre resolution/refresh rate, right?
There are a couple of pad issues but it works fine. Gameplay-wise characters can use any weapon and have two that they switch between, but everyone still has a 'preferred' weapon that they have more moves with so basically they might as well have one locked weapon and one side weapon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shadowstar posted:

Trails in the sky question:

I have just played through the tutorial dungeon and I am wondering if the constant belittling of the female protagonist for being stupid and absent-minded ends anytime soon?

I don't particularly expect a JRPG to have a solid feminist analysis but the level of girl-bashing going on just in the introduction is excruciating for me. Wishing I could get my money back, or at least skip through the dialogue :-(
Dude, she's not stupid and absent-minded because she's a girl, she's stupid and absent minded because she's stupid and absent minded. She's a female character who's kind of a dunce so her friends give her some gentle ribbing, nobody actually calls her STUPID WORTHLESS IDIOT GIRL or anything. It'd go the same way if she was a guy - look at Lloyd in Tales of Symphonia or something.

It's friends teasing a friend a little, not some statement on how idiotic the inferior sex is. The game has a decent amount of female characters and all of them have pretty different personalities so I don't know how you can take it as 'girl bashing.' Personally I thought Trails in the Sky was actually pretty good about that sort of thing, since it has a legitimate female protagonist who's allowed to move the plot forward. The game isn't tearing her down.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dude, she's not really 'stupid,' she's just hyperactive and not good at pencil-and-paper type thinking. She's shown as pretty smart when it comes to things that let her get her hands dirty, or things that let her act more on instinct, and the game makes sure to emphasize her strengths. She's not a super complex character or anything but she's pretty fun and likable.

And, well, he's her brother. Siblings give each other poo poo. There's plenty of points where Estelle teases Joshua, too, and neither of them are actually trying to seriously hurt each other, they're just teasing. Not to mention as the game goes on it becomes pretty clear that Estelle's the one leading and Joshua's the one following - there's a reason she's at the front of the party by default.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I like the idea of a dating sim game where the goal isn't sex. Or is it?
The genre you're looking for is called otome, and there's about seven hundred for the PSP.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

can you remove the dumb you are now leaving steam warning
not that i can tell

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Isn't DoA basically a fanservice series nowadays? Might as well get Street Fighter 4 if you want a fighting game.
DoA5 is fanservicey as heck but it's also a decent fighting game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's stage hazards where if you knock people into certain areas a little cutscene happens and they take damage, but you can turn those off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

revdrkevind posted:

Yup. He was a social outcast who just wanted to do his own thing and make little games. Now he's got everything he could ever want in material terms- which isn't what he wants at all. He just wants to make dumb little games. So now he wakes up in a giant mansion tailored to his needs and has to face the fact that none of it does anything to make him happy, and that now every time he makes one of the little games that makes him happy, everyone bitches how it's not Minecraft- and it isn't, he's probably never going to make another Minecraft.

So Notch's life is pretty much a waking nightmare. He's only going to turn it around if he ends up like Bill Gates and dedicates his wealth to philanthropy so he has something he can actually show for it and be proud of.
i am weeping for the fat rich white dude

like seriously if the money bugs him that much just go out to NYC and hand it all to the first crazy hobo he finds. he could stop being rich any time he feels like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excelzior posted:

yeah said hobo would be dead of a heroin/alcohol overdose within, like, 10 minutes
it'd be the greatest heroin overdose in history, and it wouldn't be notch's problem anymore

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

I think it's hilarious I've seen more outrage over this release date incentive than the absurd cost of MGS' micro-transactions.
MGSV's micro-transactions are ridiculously priced, btu anyone who buys them because they're completely unnecessary, so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the problem with the augment your pre-order thing isn't really the bonuses themselves, it's how it's not only impossible to figure out what you're even getting - you have to literally consult a chart - it's how it forces you into this bizarre groupthink of 'but if I don't preorder...'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Azran posted:

So I know poo poo about MGS V, even though I'm a fan of the franchise. What's the gameplay like? Is it like that one game from the PSP where you have a base and capture soldiers Pokemon-like to serve you? More importantly, is it good?
It's a mix of pretty much every MGS, but yeah, the base mechanics from peace walker return.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

big boss has mazinger z on vhs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

from what i can tell, if that vn has sex in it it's like, one fluffy scene. if witcher 3 can get on steam then who cares.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's an explanation for Pain in the novelization, and it's loving stupendous:

He has a very high pain tolerance, so he just sat and let a bunch of bees sting him, over and over and over, until the hornets started mistaking him for one of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drifter posted:

I'm sorry. I meant to say he's doing very well helming his mobile company. Clearly he understands gaming markets.

I also don't understand his 'poo poo' status nowadays. He seems a decent guy. Runs a business. Doesn't feed his employees bees. Are people just not letting an unsuccessful and one off advertisement strategy from 15 years ago be forgotten?
daikatana is a game that actually exists, not an advertisement strategy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

In the third and last game the solution to a puzzle is replacing an organ-grinder monkey with a black woman. There is no irony or punchline to this.
:catstare:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drifter posted:

It would've been an unremarkable and forgotten game had the advertising not entered the gaming zeitgeist, somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPXNZDb9bbc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why hasn't there been a feudal japan assassin's creed yet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

speaking of japan, rear end creed is kind of boring because it doesn't go full crazy the way a lot of japanese alt. history stuff does. in fact they actively prevent themselves from going full crazy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

I found that objection kind of weird because Sun Wukong's cuntiness is basically the basement, foundation, and mezzanines of Journey to the West.
I think the objection is that the developers weren't intentionally trying to make him a dick. They thought it was badass and cool, not a dick move.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a7m2 posted:

Do singleplayer games set in ancient China, aside from dynasty warriors and the side scroller AC, exist? It's got a pretty cool history and visuals.

There's Three Kingdoms games that aren't Dynasty Warriors. Two more obscure ones are a NES RPG starring Liu Bei and friends called Destiny of an Emperor and a PC SRPG starring Cao Cao called, well, Legend of Cao Cao. Both are pretty decent - I'm actually a pretty big fan of Legend of Cao Cao. It's got a lot of branching paths and content, and the period is a good fit for a SRPG.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Was it ever on steam? I thought this was just one of those mmos that had one of those sketchy looking download clients and was never attached to steam. I remember goons celebrating when it turned out you could kidnap other players and chop off their dicks.
goons were realyl into trolling it but there was no real endgame content iirc, so people got bored and started leaving the game, so goons had less people to troll so they left too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

During lunch one day, Toomi Yuna meets two "Kindred Spirits" on the roof of her school. When they insist she help them nurture young love, Yuna finds herself playing "yuri cupid" to six unique and adorable couples. Can she remain aloof or will the promise of a "yuritopia" reach her too?

its good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kater posted:

Outside of causing this thread to melt for two pages, I'm assuming there's nothing actually notable about Kindred Spirits beyond whoever did the PR making bank on the power of le-le-le-le-lesbians?
honestly, not even the marketing. they mentioned that it'd be uncensored on steam (because the sex scenes are really lowkey and could be gotten away with in a PG-13 movie) and kotaku immediately started making giant posts about Sex Games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is a clicking adventure that simulates the real-life begging of Pewdiepie to play your game so you can make a quick buck

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frog fractions 2 is going to be a really normal-looking budget FPS

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

saucerman posted:

I found one news article about Kindred Spirit from September last year and then one article about sex games weeks later. It was normal sized but I guess it looks big when you're used to shorter "articles", if you get my drift.
i dont, actually

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WE KNOW THE DEVIL is a story about everyone who made you cry at summer camp. It’s about missing your Sailor Moon VHS tapes. It’s about how being irresponsible is contagious. It’s about knowing that in a group of three, two of you will be closer than the other.

And it’s about being weird and queer and wrong and hoping against hope no one will find out when the actual, literal devil comes for you.

“If We Know the Devil is trying to say anything, it's that you deserve to love yourself. There’s nothing wrong with you.”
Giant Bomb

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordja posted:

Boy, do I ever hope 90s nostalgia runs its course soon.
it'll be replaced by 2000s nostalgia

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

michael bay transformers didn't have the weird al robot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzjaoKSAXhA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's literally just a one-off joke that is never referenced again, dudes

her character is never presented sexually

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol the word fitler happens when you quote him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lovely anime is the highest form of graphics in games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nuanced political commentary

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Makes u think.

fake edit:
"The racists are gaining more and more followers, and even some of our citizens support them."

So the racists aren't citizens? Where is the 'Build a wall' option?!
More than that, if the racists are killing black citizens, they're going to kill the black cops whether or not we fire them. So what the hell is the point?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A good poster posted:

That topless card picture is a lie, in case anyone was curious.

:missingfemale: is a good emote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

I think the Australian courts fining them three million dollars for not offering refunds was a more significant motivator for Valve.

oh no, three million dollars, they had to give up almost a 1/100th of the money they made off of bad rats

• Locked thread