Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Origin is middle of the road and inoffensive now, but uPlay is Schrodinger's Fuckup: you're either going to luck up and have no beef with it, or it's going to crash, devour saves, have weird patching issues, and other fun bugs that still occur over various bits of their games.

The Battlefield 4 PC thread is basically the Origin thread because that's the only thing that a huge number of people use and constantly depend on it for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

Direct sequel.

e;fb

It's a direct sequel in such that a single character (besides Deathshead that is) from Wolfenstein '09 comes back and barely mentions the previous game though.

In other words, yes, a direct sequel for a video game.

Also, Bioware's attitudes towards a lot of small-ish things in their games can be summed up as "Did they?" followed by "No."

"Did they bother tweaking their model animations for anything beside default male so you don't end up with bigger models clipping through everything and smaller models hovering above everything?" "No."

"Did they ever bother adding new animations since ME1 to conversations to go with the more expressive and numerous lines?" "No."

Whoever came up with the idea of having characters actually move around the Normandy and actually have to move their models in different positions (like "sitting" and "leaning against something") in ME3 must have fought like a madman for it.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 21, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Should I play Metro: Last Light with ranger mode on or not?

Unlike Metro 2033 Last Light has a better balance to its difficulties so I'd say that playing with any Ranger Mode for the first game is not necessary, and might actually be ill advisable. If you're more interested in the atmosphere of the game I found Normal on my first time through pretty easy but not so easy that I was just strolling through everything so it maintained a really good feel to it.

Basically unless you're someone whose IMMERSION just gets ruined by HUD's then Ranger mode is no longer a necessity to just make it fun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

You are literally insane.

The gameplay, taken in a vacuum, is... okay I guess? Obviously not totally polished but serviceable. If I can take Metro 2033's shooting then I can take Afterfall's shooting/melee system. Afterfall Insanity's main problem is that the whole game is utterly boring. Yeah it goes into pretty crazytown in a few places but it blows through it so fast or without any comment, or both, that its all meaningless. So what if you've got an underground fake movie set city full of cannibals complete with fake weather that your character thought was the surface because he was previously living even further undergroud than that in a sterile white fallout bunker? If you just treat it as another shooting/bashing gallery without exploring any of it there's no point.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I think I'm going to try this speed mod and see if it improves the experience.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher/mods/256/

If not then so long Witcher.

If you do stop playing it but are still interested in the sequel (and perhaps Wild Hunt), look up the ending cutscene for Witcher 1 on YouTube. It's basically the main connection to the second game if you don't care about losing character connections.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Weekend sale is Dead Island franchise and Ace Combat something or other free weekend

Anyone who likes the old Ace Combat series should at least give Assault Horizon a try since its free. While it is most definitely Call of Duty in terms of narrative tone and characters (and the super-weapon is literally just a not-nuke) I think it retains enough of the old to be fun. After experiencing it in practice I don't think the Dog Fight Mode is as nearly as "RAIL SHOOTER MODE" as most people on the internet will proclaim it to be as you do in fact still need to speed up/down and pitch/yaw around so you aren't knocked out of of it (although there is still a fair amount of auto-guidance) and it is only really required on boss jets.

Just be aware that the first level will, in fact, confirm all fears the internet has about the DFM as your plane flies through buildings all on its own and control is taken away so you can watch explosions happen. It does get better after that... until you hit an overly long helicopter door gunner level but it gets better after that! ...until you hit an overly long Apache gunship levels but I do think the jet fighter/bomber levels really are just as good as anything the older Ace Combat's have.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Zombie Samurai posted:

Assault Horizon seems like a really cool game until you realize the final target on just about every map is functionally immortal until you engage DFM because you HAVE to end the mission with a cinematic close call explosionfest. It's a cool mechanic but the way they force it on you is very souring.

I think the only boss fight in Ace Combat I ever liked was in Ace Combat Zero where you wind up literally jousting the final enemy. Every other one was really just flying at a big target multiple times. While it is repetitive at times I just don't really think DFM wound up any worse than any of the other level quirks the older games threw at you. I will say that I think the only time the DFM really came into its own as an awesome mechanic was when you used it to make attacks on the enemy fleet. Its still pretty scripted and linear but the camera angles while explosions and bullet tracers fly past you is pretty awesome. Otherwise I just think it winds up being pretty inoffensive, and at least the very least a lot better than HAWX's "OFF" system.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sober posted:

So I downloaded AC, but is DFM actually required? I'm gonna assume it is since it's literally the first thing they have you do. Is there no way to take down the squadron leads (TGT_LEAD) jets without using DFM? They always just seem to be able to juke like mad and even if I stagger missiles they seem to always have CMs ready, as the regular jets seem to die alright. I kinda preferred HAWX in that respect where there was that OFF system that or even their AR thing didn't feel mandatory.

(Personally I didn't mind the gunner mission as an excuse to set up the game and roll the credits)

I guess I'm misremember how often it was required because yeah, that sounds like it a jet that requires it. I'm probably taking the complaints of "You have to use it for every plane" and compensating it with "You only need to use it on bosses." It is most definitely required in a number of places but I didn't recall ordinary enemy squadron leaders needing it. Guess I was wrong.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RickVoid posted:

So this isn't an Origin thread, but we were talking about it soooo:

Is there anyway to merge two Origin accounts? I made the mistake of creating a new account before I remembered that I had made one for Mass Effect 3. Ideas?

You're probably out of luck. I doubt any digital platform, whether that's Steam, uPlay, or Origin, has the ability to "merge" accounts in any true sense of the word. The best they'd be able to do is disable keys on one account and add brand new keys on another. I suppose its not impossible that if you approached a support person with rock solid proof that you are the one in possession of both accounts they would do that for you but I really, really doubt it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sober posted:

I got a lucky missile on TGT_LEADs once or twice but they pretty much have infinite flares, even if they couldn't evade like crazy. Guessing it's not worth the time to try to take them out because apparently some of them are just scripted anyway?

Also that means I learned you can never run out of regular missiles, you just regenerate the 2 so you can fire. :effort:

Considering you get like 150 of those things you must have been really dedicated to not using DFM :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sober posted:

AC:AH is literally the second jet fighter game I have played but from what I can tell DFM really seems like a really shoehorned in mechanic versus just flying around and firing missiles at things. Hell, I even switched to the original controls for the pad so I can pitch/yaw/roll all independently. Say what you want about HAWX but it didn't force all their dumb crap on you if you didn't want to. At most in HAWX I occasionally used that augmented reality thing to set up attack angles at things like tanks wedged between 80 skyscrapers that would be hard as hell to maneuver inbetween.

You most definitely needed to use OFF or the AR thing in HAWX for more than that though, some jets just turn and move too quickly to get a shot on otherwise just like in ACAH, or maybe I was really bad at it. I don't remember much from HAWX 2 besides hating it but do I seem to remember it getting even worse and some enemies just dumped infinite flares every few seconds and moving really fast, forcing your to use your guns while in OFF and OFF mode removes the gun reticule unless you're really, really close to an enemy plane while firing your gun.

And I forgot that ACAH's default controls are the Baby's First Jet version. God that was dumb. Anyone who's playing ACAH should change the control scheme before doing anything.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LibbyM posted:

I actually enjoyed playing the original dead island for acts 1,3, and 4. I didn't think it was amazing or anything, but I had an alright time smashing zombies with friends.
Act 2 however was one of the most boring experiences I've had in a game in a long time.

For people who played both dead islands, how much of Riptide feels like act 2 of the original?

Was Act 2 the city? Also I should probably point out that I actually kind of liked the city so maybe what you didn't like about it if so.

Or maybe I shouldn't be the one to answer :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drifter posted:

HOnestly KnL2 was a pretty solid game with some dark as gently caress antiheroes. I think the deliberate gameplay mechanical choices they made alongside the completely unforgivable protagonists made it a hard pill for people to swallow, especially in the heyday of the pixel accuracy of COD and Battlefield with the everyheroUSA characters .

I think K&L2 is yet another game that would have been better as something besides a shooter. I can totally get behind absolute shitheel protagonists that do nothing but cause massive gently caress ups but the entire game was just the exact same third person shooting over and over. The only thing that came close to a set piece, the helicopter ride, is really just a glorified turret section. Basically nothing about the game changed even a little from the very first second of gameplay to the very last and the fact that I don't think it's very good third person shooting either doesn't help.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

Ace Combat, How hardcore is the simulation for a guy who just wants to fly around and shoot stuff?

Ace Combat is the pinnacle of not-sim-at-all flight games. You get unlimited fuel, hundreds of missiles, infinite guns, and shoot down a couple dozen planes by yourself at the same time as blowing up even more tanks on the ground. I can't remember if Assault Horizon specifically allows you to choose the plane you want to bring on mission (maybe during the second time through?) but the PS2 games would allow you to bring A-10's to jet fights and F-22's to ground missions. Ace Combat doesn't give a gently caress. All it cares about it making the post-mission replay look as badass as possible.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

No and it's shameful.

It does have a form of it where you have to dodge radar sites while flying really low in a bomber but then again other AC games did that gimmick too so oh well.

ACAH is definitely missing a lot of the classic Ace Combat things but I still think it retains enough to be worth playing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Have you played Crimson Skies? It was a really cool flight combat game set in an alternate history in the '30s with air pirates and poo poo. It was pretty cool, actually. It's also 14 years old now.

I will never forgive Jordan Weisman for kickstarting Shadowrun before Crimson Skies :mad:

Until he kickstarts Crimson Skies anyways.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

gently caress it I grabbed soul suspect while it's still on sale. I like detective games, maybe I can get $15 of worth outta this one. I think all that leaves is Shovel Knight, Transistor, Kentucky Route Zero, Blackwell Epiphany and Full Bore on my wishlist. Winter sale's not gonna bleed me too much at this point. Cause there's no way I'm waiting until winter to get my shovel on.

Speaking of games on sale at GMG, A Story About My Uncle is 50% off at $7. I know the general concept of the game from stuff I read but I never really saw much about it when it was released. Did it turn out to be any good?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Everblight posted:

Ugh, finally finished Tomb Raider and it's just blerg. I powered through it because you guys told me it gets better, but it never really did. The actual raiding of tombs was fun, but it kept getting interrupted by a somehow-neverending stream of bad guys, and I didn't want to shoot anyone. I did as much stealth kills as I could, but every time I saw 3-5 waist-high pieces of cover, I knew what was coming.

Add to that that the final boss is glitched (you have to lower your resolution to 800x600 to beat him, seriously :hurr: ) and it just felt like "a good game ruined."

You bought a third person shooter and didn't want to shoot anybody?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think anyone who complains about how much shooting there is in the new Tomb Raider actually ever played any of the old Tomb Raiders. You kill so many people in those games.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RickVoid posted:

This. I imagine most of these people played the first level of the first game, and that's it. Laura can get killed in so many awful ways in every game they've ever released.

I'm with Poptart Fairy and Dr Suntory, that little rant about Laura having only survived because she was trained by a man was some Grade-A projection.

I'd grant the very first game, or the Anniversary remake. You do kill relatively few people in those. But every other game basically turns Lara into a super-secret-agent. One of the levels in Legend has you parachuting in to an enemy base and shooting a few dozen mercenaries for god's sake.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drifter posted:

Oh hey, rolling ball puzzles. :geno:

Hey, any one that thinks the 2013 Tomb Raider had too much shooting should be absolutely delighted to get back to what the real Tomb Raider is about, pushing stuff around.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Scyantific posted:

Ace Combat Assault Horizon worth it at 5 bucks?

If you're comparing it to the older Ace Combat's its okay. If you're only looking for an arcade flight game I'd say its pretty good.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

Screw the gameplay, is the music score up to par? I've always been ambivalent to the Ace Combat games themselves but their soundtrack is the stuff of legend.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd say so, it leans more towards the rock side of AC soundtracks as opposed to orchestral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUUchxqHIpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLqhF2wswYk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbapsli9er8

And, of course, the ending theme is so corny/bad its great. It really is "meaningless Blockbuster movie" soundtrack quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVx1kq0B38U

As someone who really liked the soundtracks to the first two Ace Combats (not that I don't like the orchestral tracks of the PS2 and AC6) I was really happy they did this kind of heavy rock/orchestral mix. I think it worked out really well.

And yes, the version of the ending song with lyrics is an amazing piece of dumb music. Though I think if you take out the lyrics its actually good, pretty sure its used in a few places during the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Some deals from.. Gamestop??? Yes they have deals all the time stop it

Binary Domain for $3.75: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/bi...HVPpv9W2Zp6KOBw

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines for $5 (haven't seen a deal on this in a while): http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/va...QopXAcPbQnQE_Rg

Borderlands 2 GOTY for $9.99: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/bo...XYM0byqgeVDwl2g

Arkham Origins for $7.49: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/ba...HdkN_Ss6bAntf9A

South Park the Stick of Truth for $40: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/so...HlkoyndH5l7Cwhg

Timeshift for $5: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/ti...vx7CpwvbRWDe2aQ

They've also apparently stopped using Stardock's old Impulse storefront entirely they bought some time ago. Money well spent on a platform they dedicated no further thought to at all. I guess you get your game keys some way else now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's Vanquish, but it's only on PS3/360. Binary Domain's pretty close though.

Binary Domain isn't close to those at all though, barely so with Vanquish. It is strictly a basic third person shooter, just with surprisingly entertaining characters.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

Honestly if you've played all of those and want more of the same, your best bet at the moment is to get a Wii U for The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.

I think Platinum's Korra game is coming to PC? But that's a licensed property game with what seems to have been a short development time so who knows if it'll be up to their usual standards.

Licensed by Activision of all companies.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Night Dive aren't the people originally behind those games, right? Have they done anything to make them undeserving of money?

Not yet. Unless you hate them financing or otherwise facilitating the re-release of System Shock 2, some of the Wizardry games, or the rumoured No One Lives Forever.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hey here's some news for original Borderlands, which was a Gamespy/SecuROM title.

Huh, I could have sworn they already did that? But I guess that updates suggests that retail PC versions weren't able to be activated on Steam so maybe what I'm thinking of was only updating the Steam version.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Malek posted:

Doesn't this just reinforce the broad sweep stereotype that Early Access is just ... poo poo?

Also where is that linked to, I want to show that to quite a few people.

I think it mostly reinforces my own belief that absolutely no one, including Valve, have any idea what Early Access even means yet. Much like a lot of other things Valve does at the moment Early Access just seems to be a "Eh, whatever, we'll see what happens later" experiment.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is out guys, and it's 15% off the first week!

I've been waiting to play this game for quite a while and held off from the PSP version since they announced the sequel's coming over for PC later, too.

I've heard really good things about this game, let's see what the store page says:

quote:

Hailed as one of the largest, longest and most meticulously detailed

God drat it. Ever since I became an adult I don't have time for that any more :negative:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It was pretty sick in the original Walking Dead where Lee chokes the main antagonist dude to death. You can stop the QTE after he passes out but I don't know of a single person who didn't keep going on the first playthrough. It was pretty manipulative, but in kind of a good way?

I didn't get that part (probably because I only had 1.5 arms) but there was also the similar bit at the end of episode 2 where you're beating on the guy and the "Mash Q" goes well past the point that it needs to, but you can stop early.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

So at what point does Human Revolution start to get good? I've tried to play it a couple times and managed to make it to about the first time you can walk around the game world before giving up.

Sort of hard to tell you anything without knowing what you didn't like, FYI.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

UI seemed clunky, stealth felt weird and I found myself constantly getting spotted by people that shouldn't have been able to see me. I also am not a huge fan of the aesthetic (too much yellow) but I can get over that.

In regards to the stealth people can hear you as well. I've also occasionally run into parts where quick-loading after an enemy has seen me can result in the enemies still being alerted after loading the save. Also, unless you're really close to them or don't move at all for a couple seconds when they do see you, in my experience they almost almost only go into "alarmed" or "suspicious" mode giving you some chance to slink away while they come investigate; this is on Deus Ex difficulty. The enemies do tend to have a greater length vision cone then you might expect from video games as well (there's a skill later that literally allows you to see what they can see). That said the stealth doesn't change too much from the get-go, just easier. You get various active skills like cloaking or silent footfalls or ones that improve your radar, like the aforementioned vision cone upgrade. Really the best way to make sure you aren't seen is to be in cover.

As for the UI, I can only really say that I mostly liked it, especially some of the PC specific changes. The area for displaying emails and PDA's isn't that great but that's really the only part that has a ton of information that is displayed all at once. I'm a weirdly big fan of inventory tetris so this might just be a matter of taste.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LLCoolJD posted:

I stopped playing Deus Ex: HR about 1/3 of the way through the game, but I liked it... I need to get back into it. I played the hell out of the original game. My only complaint about the stylish successor (Invisible War doesn't count) is that Adam's raspy speech hurts my throat.

If it helps at all that is, in fact, what the voice actor actually sounds like.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

So if I thought the first hour of Tomb Raider was derivative trash, should I just uninstall it now?

Mmmmaybe? The first hour is pretty slow paced and cutscene heavy compared to most of the rest of the game (though even as someone who liked the game some of the bits where you fight waves of baddies went on for too long) but faster paced just means you'll be shooting more people or exploring larger areas for various collectables without getting interrupted by cutscenes and QTE's as often.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

So I did the very beginning of Binary Domain tonight. My only real comment so far is that it seems like the mic picks up every little noise. I constantly hear Bo go "What? Huh? Can't talk right now!" even though I turned the threshold way up. I'm using a headset btw. Not sure what that's about.

Just turn off voice recognition. It adds absolutely nothing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

Qube is neat up to a certain point, at which it forgets its core competencies and turns into a frustrating shitfest. For me it was a 'puzzle' that was basically an escort mission for a ball, hoping that I shot increasingly tiny hotspots in time. I don't play these games to challenge my lovely hand-eye.

My problem with QUBE, which only came right at the end, basically demonstrated why Portal and other good games built around manipulating objects in a 3D space to solve a puzzle don't have actual physics most of the time. I don't remember the specific puzzles but I do remember balls or blocks or something being just slightly out of place all the god drat time and the solution wouldn't work unless they were in the right spot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I wonder if, when they tested the game, they realized that maybe something wasn't working out too well when you finish a level and the player character has 100 kills and the squad mates have 2.

Even if they did (and they probably did, in fact) The Bureau was such a clusterfuck of development that there was no way something that boils down to "The player has to do most of the work" was something that was going to delay release by another month or more so they could either rebalance the game around that or improve the squad AI.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Eruonen posted:

I've been looking at the Last Remnant for a while. Is it worth beating the average for? I have all the other games I'm interested in from the bundle. So basically, is that game alone worth 9+ bucks?

Not enough not to wait until the next time its $3.75 on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Giana Sisters is supposed to be good, right?

Haven't heard of any of the others.

It's good. It's no Rayman Origins/Legends but it's good. It is mostly an... environment? platformer where most of the challenge comes from navigating hazards rather than defeating the relatively few and easy enemies there are, beyond bosses. I did think the levels went on for too long and the checkpoints were too spread out, though I think they added more checkpoints in after I finished it.

I haven't heard of any of the rest except Guise of the Wolf which is one of the lesser-known infamously bad games that got put on Steam, though it was before Greenlight so it didn't get the same attention.

• Locked thread