Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well I just bought the Grimrock Bundle for € 25 so I hope you guys are right and it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why do you all hate this guy so much.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Hello forums user Phlegmish, we hate them because they made death threats to Gabe Newell. Maybe if you read less than a page's worth of posts instead of just dropping in and shitposting, you would discover this, and not look like an idiot.

drat!! Was not expecting to get owned like this.

Is he an outright scammer or is his game just poo poo? It has to be really bad if Steam is pulling it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sivek posted:

Both, and having a Internet hissy fit is basically the only way to generate any large amount of interest/free publicity for it. He'll certainly get it and hopes to have it attain some type of Bad Rats-esque notoriety. It may yet work.

Then getting pulled from Steam is the best punishment since no one is going to go out of their way to ironically buy a bad game like they do with Bad Rats.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I'm starting to feel less sorry for him.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Grey Goo will bomb, basically nobody had any idea this game even existed until last week. It also plays slow as gently caress.

You mean the gameplay is slow or the frame rate is low?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Drifter posted:

Underrail, I think.

Any good? It's got a solid score on Steam.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

admataY posted:

Pillars of eternity is "fine" . Its good. there's very little to the gameplay or writing thats "wrong" . I did find it all a bit on the dry side ,as "fine" as it is , as polish and mechanically sound the game systems are - I enjoyed Divinity 's silliness more . With its warmer color pallet and cheesy humor , i felt there is more personality to the game and i enjoyed my time in it more .

You're right, it's a weird thing, Pillars of Eternity is a really good game and there's not much about that I dislike, but I feel like the world and the characters didn't pull me in as much as they could have. It's been a few months now since I've played, and I struggle to remember what the plot was even about.

Which reminds me that I really should pick it up again, I ran out of steam after reaching the druid town and never actually beat it. At that point I already had 35 hours logged, so you definitely can't complain about the length.

Kanfy posted:

For me it's kind of the opposite, mostly because that even as someone who generally enjoys reading dialogue I thought that Original Sin just has way too much of it and it's distributed real unevenly to boot. The previous Divinity games are known for their pretty witty writing and while OS still has that occasionally, the good stuff gets buried in an avalanche of flavorless babbling that's just exhausting to go through especially when you get to a new city.

Absolutely, Jan Van Dosselaer abused the hell out of his thesaurus and a lot of the dialogue is flowery and overwrought for no real reason. I liked the banter and the synergy between the two main characters, but most of the time when a different characters opens their mouth, you kind of wish they wouldn't. It's just too much, it would legitimately be exhausting to try to read all of it.

It's a great game otherwise, so I hope they tone it down for D:OS 2.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 20, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

The year is 2015 and I'm playing Turok from N64 on my computer.

I just finished Half-Life 2 for the first time.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

How'd you feel about it?

I liked it a lot, varied environments, straightforward but engaging story, the jumping is less floaty than the original Half-Life (which I also played for the first time this year). The puzzles are clever but still relatively simple so you never waste too much time or get frustrated. There are a lot of nice little touches like your followers apologizing when they get in your way. The gunplay itself isn't spectacular or super-satisfying, but they more than make up for it with the way encounters are paced and the environment is set up, meaning that fights are usually fun. The scripting in general is amazing and blows a lot of modern games out of the water, though it's not completely fair to compare such a linear game to today's more open-world titles. The graphics have also aged really well for a game from 2004.

Minor complaints are that certain sections kind of drag on, particularly the driving parts which were basically a poor man's Far Cry, and perhaps the aforementioned linearity. You never really get any input or choices to make, but that's okay, because it's obviously supposed to be a story-driven, movie-like game.

SelenicMartian posted:

How did you manage? Did you replace every gun with a fun one?

I think I found most of the gimmick weapons, but I still ended up using the shotgun and the SMG most of the time.

But that's okay, the game will make sure you get a lot of use out of the gravity gun at least, by forcing you to use it exclusively for the entire final part of the game.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 20, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I briefly considered putting Turok on my wish list, but I never played it back in the day so I don't think I'd be able to put up with the dated graphics.

Speaking of old games that should be made available on Steam, why isn't Planescape: Torment on there? License problem? I'm pretty sure it would be a modest success at the very least.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Joe Gillian posted:

I would like to see a remastered version of it if it comes to Steam. I purchased it on GOG a couple of years ago, but I would buy it again in a heartbeat if they got it to look as good as Pillars does. Seriously, if inXile just released Planescape Torment HD, that would be better than them making Wasteland 2.

Exactly, I just prefer to have all my games on Steam.

They should also put the Neverwinter Nights games on there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't understand why whoever currently owns the license wouldn't put it on Steam, it's the first thing I would do. Nostalgic nerds are just waiting to throw money at these games.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've decided 1998 is my cutoff year, anything before that is just too drat old.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kanfy posted:

That's a bad way to go about it, it was the era of early 3D so a lot of games from that time have aged way worse than the games that preceded them.

I'm struggling to come up with PC games from the early to mid-nineties that I would be eager to replay (let alone play for the first time) today. Doom, maybe, with a modern control scheme. Seven Kingdoms every now and then, if 1997 counts. Other than that, I can't think of much.

I recently bought the Commander Keen pack for Steam on a nostalgic whim and just could not get into it even though I spent so much time playing the shareware versions of the games as a kid.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

For some other examples the only thing that really aged badly about Deus Ex is its graphics. Planescape's aged pretty well too aside from the poo poo combat, but even then its fairly easy to understand poo poo combat.

Deus Ex, Planescape, no problem, I feel like those are games I won't mind playing even twenty years from now. They look dated by now but are recognizable as 'modern' video games, I think.

Sleeveless posted:

Old games can be fun, I played Betrayal at Krondor for the first time a few years ago and it was rad because it had an interface that was smoother and more user-friendly than it had any right being.

That would make for a good thread on its own, old games that are good and aren't so janky or obtuse that even the modern game can still enjoy them.

Agreed. For example, I recently played Star Control II for the first time and it was really interesting, though I ultimately didn't get very far. I'd never even heard of it until a few years ago. It makes me wonder what other games I've missed out on.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 21, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Btw the free game is Galactic Hitman

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sounds like my old place.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I have 12 games on my wish list. What is this 'sale' thing I keep hearing about? Will it change from day to day or do the discounts stay the same until Christmas?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mutation posted:

Pillars of Eternity's writing being "fine, if not a bit dry" seems like it's the most disappointing thing ever considering where it's coming from and what it was trying to be.

It's still leagues better than a lot of other games.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll show them my heavy load.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Not related to sale, but is there a way to permanently get rid of games in Steam? I have a couple that don't even work on my system. I don't want my money back, I just want them gone from the list. Can I convert them into gifts or something?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

havenwaters posted:

Yes actually. Of course if you bought the game with any another games they are all permanently removed from your list (or it was that way earlier on). They added the function in a month or two ago.

Are you talking about the same process as afkmacro or is this something I can do myself? Thanks.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Just right click and set category to hidden. They'll be relegated to a special list in your library that you can only see if you access it from the top menu. There's no reason to just get rid of them because what if some day you do have a way to play them?

That's cool, I never knew.

I never got Anno 2070 to work after all these years. gently caress Ubisoft and their dumb unnecessary launcher. It was just sitting there, mocking me, but now I'm just going to hide it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ZearothK posted:

You have to download an updated version of uPlay in order to play the game.

I just got done doing that when I read your post, and yeah, it actually works now. I'll give it another chance.

After this insane effort, I hope the game is worth it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

Can someone recommend some good story based, rpg or semi-rpg or adventure games? I loved stuff like the banner saga, life is strange, the tell-tale games or generally rpgs with good stories like witcher 3. I'm mostly looking for not that known titles, as I'd say I've played most big releases over the years. Something with a nice story to get lost in would be great.

Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin and Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't think D:OS has a particularly bad plot, but a lot of the dialogue is indeed really grating. Van Dosselaer went way overboard with trying to add 'personality' to the NPCs. Put down that thesaurus, bro.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This game has a great score on Steam, what the gently caress

Is it actually a good game or are fetishists just really glad that they're getting catered to?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I actually have this one on my wishlist.

Opinions?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

don't be fooled by the ad copy. it's nothing like darklands apart from the art style. it is OLDSCHOOL in the art (which owns) and that it doesn't have an auto-journal or auto-map (which does not own as much). you can take notes in-game and it'll helpfully let you bring up the note and dialog at once so you can type stuff in, but it's still annoying if you don't like that (i do not). fundamentally though it's got more in common with icewind dale or baldurs gate style games than darklands. realtime with pause, etc.

I don't like that first part where it lacks certain modern conveniences but I do like the part where you say it's like an Infinity Engine game.

Might keep it on my wish list.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ekster posted:

Finally a VN that's not afraid to challenge contemporary gender issues.

I'm from the 1950's and this is a major issue.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fun Times! posted:

Done with this sale. Backlog is roided up now. :ohdear:

These are all games you've never played before? I envy you.

If you have enough free time you might be able to finish the list by 2020.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've never heard of that game, but it seems kind of trollish to make an 'Easy' difficulty setting that is actually apparently really hard. So what happens when you go beyond that, you die instantly?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm about to replay Alpha Protocol for the first time in four years. What's the most OP agent history to pick?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Max posted:

If you can't do Vet, just go for anything that makes a stealth build better. It makes the combat trivial.

So that would be...Field Agent? His picture and description look the most stealth-y.

I usually don't go for stealth but if it's really hilariously broken I'll give it a shot for sure.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm sold. Which type of weapon is most effective in this game? I know there was one that goons generally thought was better than the others, but I can't remember which one it was.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks. I'm going all in on Stealth and Pistols. Maybe some Toughness to round things out. Do I need to put points into melee or is it strictly optional?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

You've gotten some answers already, I'll just add that I had an absolute blast with my knife-stealth dude, and used pistols and chain-shooting whenever it was necessary.

My review: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/recommended/34010/

Yeah, Chain Shot seems to be the best method to get reliable headshots at this point in the game.

About that - should I be thinking about upgrading from the starter pistol? All the other pistols (even the really expensive one) seem to have worse accuracy but significantly better recoil and stability. Thing is, the accuracy on the Rittergruppen is bad enough as it is, so I wonder if the trade-off is worth it. I'm not even sure what stability is and how it's different from recoil.

e: and I'm assuming I should buy and all bonus objectives to max out xp and content?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

You'll get a billion conflicting answers on this one, because after you put some points into them, they're all good (maybe even CQC). I love pistols because they're silent sniper rifles that let you fire around corners without sticking your head out of cover or becoming detectable. Some people swear by the AR's power or the SMG's "never need to reload" ability. A lot of people enjoy Shotgun rear end in a top hat, which is "max points in shotguns, no points in stealth, and you either one-shot everyone or you knock them down and kill them while they're helpless."

For a game that got as much flak as it did when it came out (and partially rightly so, there's some major problems with playing using KB+M, but the whole "the combat waaaah" bullshit was straight up lies, it just looks like a third-person shooter but it's really just Secret of Mana's attack% bar), it lets you play pretty much however you want, as long as you specialize.

Yeah, Stealth + Pistol is a really effective build. I remember having a lot of trouble with the Brayko fight during my first playthrough, but thanks to Chain Shot it was a breeze this time around. Stealth is taking a little longer to pay off, it's only moderately effective for me at this point (just started the Taipei missions after finishing Moscow and Rome), but once I max out Shadow Operative I'm sure I'll be able to take out entire rooms without getting noticed.

poo poo, I must have played at least eight hours of it today, it really is a good game. I do have to say that the plot gets a bit convoluted, I understand why Halbech tried to get you out of the picture in Saudi Arabia, but why did Alpha Protocol immediately turn on you as well? Why does Darcy in particular want to capture you so much? I don't understand the reasoning or motivation. I don't remember if this gets cleared up, it might make more sense later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Wrong. Mina found out that Parker was planning to detain and/or unperson Mike for getting a whiff of Halbech's involvement in the Saudi missile crisis, so she placed Mike in harm's way and redirected him to take out Alpha Protocol before they could snuff him instead, making him an unwitting agent for the NSA. Still manipulative, but for ultimately benevolent ends. Of course, Parker also accounted for that possibility, and folded his own plans into Mina's in hopes of Mike taking out Shaheed and then getting himself killed later, thereby neatly doing all of Parker's cover-up work for him.

Also, odds are pretty good that Heck was Halbech's unnamed contact in China and the one who masterminded the assassination attempt, probably for shits and giggles.

I've finished the game now. So, what I gather is...Alpha Protocol is in cahoots with Halbech, Michael finds out about Halbech's plans, Alpha Protocol decides to disappear him. Did they plan to get rid of him from the beginning or did he just become too dangerous during the course of the Saudi missions? And I guess it really was Halbech that fired the missiles after all?

Oh, and I don't understand what Scarlet's deal is. It didn't come up during my playthrough, but I read about it - she's actually the assassin that tried to take out Ronald Sung, and she's employed by Halbech? If she's working for Halbech, why is she covering all these negative stories about them? I read that she can show up during the final mission and even become your handler, what is she doing there?

• Locked thread