Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Regency Solitaire is pretty cool. This thread turned me onto Faerie Solitaire back in the day and Regency Solitaire is that same almost mindless goodness. A good break game when Hexcells breaks your brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Yep, I haven't actually opened up a game in steam for a few months (other than Gems of War) because I took the Doom I & II WADs and use them in ZDoom.

There is so much content out there for the engine you will never run out.

Which probably isn't a good thing for goons in the steam thread :toot:

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I've been playing the original Roller Coaster Tycoon and good lord, the guests vomit constantly. I think I'll try a park with nothing but shuttle coasters, swinging ships, and drop towers and not hire any handymen and see if I can make the whole park nothing but vomit. Put a do not enter sign in behind the park entrance and create a hell scape of vomit.

So I guess I'm saying Roller Coaster Tycoon is still fun!

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

This is a good one, a good change of pace from banging my head against Nuclear Throne because it's a little closer to Binding of Isaac in the speed. You can make totally overpowered combos like Isaac, too.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Things I bought during the sale:

Quake Pack
I've only played the original Quake and it's first mission pack so far, and it has already been worth the price. I never got the chance to play this back in the day, but had been playing the poo poo out of Doom 1+2 and custom WADs earlier in 2016. The first is a big leap from Doom. They're obviously old school FPS but the shooting feels great and the level design is top notch. Not sure I can say anything that hasn't been said, but definitely worth a look if you haven't ever played them! The big development here is 3D enemies, the addition of an official jump button, and probably a bunch of level mapping stuff I don't understand.

Invisible Inc.
I haven't gotten to play this one as much as I would like, but the game overwhelmed me towards the end of my first campaign even though I had it set to the easiest difficulty setting. I played Mark of the Ninja and love roguelikes, so it took me by surprise! This is a turn-based, team tactical espionage game set in a cyberpunk future with randomized missions. Figuring out how to get of the poo poo situation you just put yourself in is fun and there are many different options for developing your characters through augmentations, their skills, and inventory. There is a lot of resource management in the later levels and you have to decide what is worth hacking with your limited power supplies. A tough game that I can see myself playing on and off for an extended period of time.

Disgaea
Another old game I never had the chance to play back in the day. I had heard this was a serviceable port, and I had also heard it was a bad port. I turned off all the new graphics and this runs well on my integrated graphics card laptop with no noticeable glitches through Episode 5. This "Strategy" JRPG scratches an itch that I didn't know I still had. You can grind away any problem, but I've been having fun keeping my team at a level where the fights are difficult. The geopanel and throwing mechanics are the stars here and give you more possible solutions to a lot of problems than most turn based strategy RPGs.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

If anyone else was bashing their heads up against Snakebird, turn on the grid in the options if you haven't. That option really helped me think about the solution I wanted and solve a few of the harder levels. I'm actually thinking I'll be able to beat all of the levels without spoilers now, only have a few cloud levels and what I assume is one final level once they're done.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Bruteman posted:

Humble Wild Frontier Bundle

$1
Gods Will Be Watching
Ice Lakes
Frontiers (early access)

BTA
Hard West
Renowned Explorers: International Society
SPINTIRES

$13
Slime Rancher

Hell yeah, I've been waiting for Renowned Explorers to show up in a bundle.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm considering the $1 tier for Gods Will Be Watching. How's Frontiers?

Add me on steam and I'll give you a key for Gods Will Be Watching.

WeKilledGod

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

So I'm getting a new computer, after not having one that can run new games for like 10 years. I've played a bunch of indie games that were able to run on laptops with integrated graphics cards. I have a few games to try out through bundles (and buying DOOM while it was on sale this weekend). Outside of this list, what are the absolute best of the best from the last 5 years or so?

CoD: Black Ops III
Dark Souls II
DOOM
Dragon's Dogma
Metro 2033
Mirror's Edge
Red Faction: Armageddon
Shadow Warrior
Civ 5
Sonic & All-Stars Racing
Total War: WARHAMMER
The Witness
XCOM 2

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Alright, so these are the games recommended so far and looks like an awesome list:

Ori and the Blind Forest
Prey
Dishonored
METAL GEAR RISING REVENGEANCE
MGS 5
Shadow Warrior 2
Metro Last Night
Wolfenstein: TNO
Nier Automata
Talos Principle
Vanquish
Bayonetta

My first list was games I already own from the Humble Monthly and other random bundles, so no big deal if they aren't the best games.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Agreed on Dragon's Dogma.

Depending on how you feel about (isometric) RPGs I would also recommend Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin (sequel's coming out soon).

I actually have Dragon's Dogma from the Humble Monthly, and I'll be getting PoE from it this month. Added Divinity to the wishlist cause I remember lots of people recommending it.

I went through and culled out some games from my wishlist that I'll never get to and added in the games goons recommended and my wishlist is still 32 games. That's a little babies list compared to some in this thread but drat, it would take me so long to play through all of them.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I haven't played a modern FPS since CoD: Black Ops on console so DOOM is blowing my loving mind. I can't even handle playing more than 1 level at once it's just too much.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Get Prey afterwards, you'll have your mind blown twice over.

I'll eventually get to it, but since I just spent a pretty penny on a new computer, I'm going to let the games come to me cheap. I have a bunch of stuff to catch up on!

I assume it'll drop in price somewhat soon, since it seems to have not sold that well and I already got DOOM for 15 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Which graphics card and processor did you end up getting?

I got a Ryzen 1400 and Radeon RX 580. I bought a pre-built from Microcenter cause it has been years since I had a desktop.

When I was looking around, an NVIDIA card would probably be better value but I got tired of waiting for the bitcoin market to crash.

• Locked thread