Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
If I'm gonna get Doom 3, skip BFG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Faraday Cage posted:

Yes, most mods made for Doom 3 don't work with the BFG edition and it adds nothing useful while getting rid of one of the only things Doom 3 has going for it, real-time lights/shadows.
Yeah this is odd, isn't BFG technically on idtech5 or something too?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

blakelmenakle posted:

So GMG is having a "Zombie Feastival" with up to 75% off various zombie games over the weekend. Notably, Typing of the Dead: Overkill is available for $4.99, and you can bring it down to $4 flat with code P36EYA-K5JYKT-ABO7X9 (although you can't use both the code and your credit at the same time). I believe this is the cheapest it's ever been, so if you've been waiting on it, now's your chance!
I feel like waiting for the game + DLC bundle to go on sale would be about as cheap. Think it was like 6-something during the summer sale.

Also no State of Decay Lifeline? For shame GMG

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

On the flip side Dungeon Siege 3 is the only Obsidian game I haven't played because the previous Steam thread said not to bother with it.
It's fun as an ARPG, but not really awe inspiring or anything. Just super competent, which is nice.

Like literally we could do FNV vs FO3 quest comparisons or whatever all day, can we?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think I might be the only one who likes DS3. I mean yes it's not really playing to obsidian's strengths and is certainly their weakest game. But man it might be the only arpg that's ever held my interest. I've tried torchlight, marvel heroes, path of exile and they've all bored the crap out of me. Maybe I just don't like all that clicking.
It's not so much a clickathon diablo clone despite having the loot drops. It's like a mix of ARPG with the loot (and camera perspective) and a brawler-lite combat system where you use all the face buttons to make abilities go off and you have a dodge as well. It's definitely fun because the four characters are drastically different as well. I liked it was well with the time I spent on it. Never gotten around to even close to finishing it but yeah. I'm surprised it didn't take off as much as it did because it's a nice mix of actual genres you never see meshed together.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Palpek posted:

The only cool things in Fallout 3 were some of the sidequests. Discovering Andale is still one of my favorite moments in the game and then New Vegas is like all made of moments like that.
New Vegas has Vault 11 which literally is one of my favourite moments in all of last-gen.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The second story DLC for Infinite makes the moral choice in Bioshock hilarious.
Awesome, that was what I was gonna get started on next too...

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Nobody mentioned the recent South Park: The Stick of Truth game by Obsidian during the bug discussion! Not sure what the general response was but I'm happy to report no bugs were encountered when playing this disgusting game! :science:

And yeah, Dungeon Siege 3 is kinda weird in that it has no bugs but it also isn't really that good in terms of world building and writing in general. Not sure how much of it was caused by executive meddling, but it's a shame. At least the combat was fairly good with a gamepad.
Well, I had to guess Dungeon Siege 3 was a project they just worked on to pay the bills, honestly. I don't think they really put any of their typical creative force behind it (Avelone, Sawyer, etc.). I think at that same time they were probably securing work for other things they were gonna go creative on anyway (I think it ended up being Stick of Truth though, lol? FNV had been released by then, maybe its DLC then).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Pretty much the only reason to go the other way is to see the bad ending, I guess. Each Bioshock's endings are all goofy and stupid though.
Ummmmm excuse me, Minerva's Den!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

There's a Bioshock 2 ending where splicers start popping up on the surface of the ocean like an oil spill just killed thousands of fish, it's so fuckin dumb.
Minerva's Den. Everyone owns it on Steam now.

Reinstall the drat thing on Steam and play it because the ending is actually not a pile of poo poo. It's actually loving good. All of it, actually.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

Oh man, Crypt of the Necrodancer has a steam page up and it looks like there's going to be local coop, as well! This game is shaping up to be pretty awesome. :allears:
I've seen it being played with a DDR pad. :allears:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I would like it if none of this happened and they made clicking dudes more fun.
It is fun though. You only ever need to endure the story mode once and never play it ever again.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Awesome! posted:

is that an expansion feature or something they patched into the base game?
Expansion feature in ROS. Obviously if they drop another expansion you have to play the story but the real game is Adventure mode, where you do random quests to get gold/XP. Quests are usually "do a quick sidequest event" or "kill X monsters/named monster". You finish the five random quests in an act for a loot box that occasionally also drop gambling currency and keys to do rifts. Rifts are even more random levels - random tileset and random monster sets (yes, A1 tilset with A3 monsters possible) where all you do is literally murder the gently caress out of everything until a superboss shows up and you kill them and they go for a loot explosion. The new patch (2.1) is supposed to add even more types of rifts (like timed, so loot doesn't drop until you beat the timer and the boss explodes all the loot in the rift).

Like literally you only need to play the story once. Even if you finish the story at like level 30, you can just adventure mode and do bounties/rifts to max level and even new level 1 characters can just start off in adventure mode.

Basically the expansion made D3 fun again.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I would like to point out the whole game scales with you now so if you really like a certain act you aren't really punished if you just want to zoom around and punch a certain set of monsters. Whereas it was stupid way back in the day when you had to make your way through Act 1 to 5 on the hardest difficulty (hell?).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Actually what Blizzard did and I love (they did this with D3 and WoW) is have abilities scale with gear/weapon damage instead of doing the talent tree where you need 20 ranks into something that'll eventually be outpaced by better gear/too high of a difficulty. I really can't go back to the D2 style of leveling up skills now.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Bioware really thinks they can get away with anything these days despite pissing away all their goodwill that they accrued before the KOTOR years.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Rirse posted:

It still sucks that Wolfenstein 2009 isn't back on the store. I bought it on Steam shortly before it got pulled, but didn't really play it until this week after Kragger gifted me The New Order, which prompted me to finally play the previous game. I am really liking it so far, even if hard is really easy. But at the same time while there are mods that I guess make it harder in hard...it way to satisfying to mow down wave after wave of Nazi with a plasma canon to care.
Just curious, but is Wolf09 and TNO supposed to be related in anyway? I heard TNO is disconnected from RTCW though, is that correct as well?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well at least it's not anime.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Contracts is fantastic, but Blood Money is pretty much the pinnacle of the series. I loved Absolution but BM is definitely 'the' Hitman game; clunkier mechanics and animation, but you have a lot more freedom and tools to play around with.
I'll never stop telling people Absolution would've been fine as-is if the levels were Blood Money's style.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Absolution would be fine if it didn't actively punish you for playing it like a Hitman game. Absolution isn't a good game.

Absolution's disguise system could've worked better if it didn't rely on the game being balanced on normal difficulty and regenerating "focus" or whatever that mechanic was. I find it more believable than the "get off scott free" disguises from the previous games. Like, a small security force would notice someone who isn't on their roster wearing one of their uniforms, or a mechanic's partner's disguise obviously not fooling the other, but enough to get by security.

The problem with Absolution were the maps were too cramped for it to be any use, and the disguises were somewhat lacking.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

That's because it's a Good Game.
Is it something I can mute all the sound on and just play while listening to podcasts? This is important.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

HAHAHAHAHAHA Holy gently caress the credits minigame in Marlow Briggs can go die in a fire. The rest of the game was good though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Gods Will Be Watching is super hard as gently caress and it's great.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

how me a frog posted:

Is there a thread for that? I'm on the third screen and I'm super loving confused about something that I feel like would be too big a spoiler to post here in tags in case someone picks it up later.
You're already on chapter 3? I can't even loving get past 60% hack on the first level hahaha :suicide:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Anyone who likes the old Ace Combat series should at least give Assault Horizon a try since its free. While it is most definitely Call of Duty in terms of narrative tone and characters (and the super-weapon is literally just a not-nuke) I think it retains enough of the old to be fun. After experiencing it in practice I don't think the Dog Fight Mode is as nearly as "RAIL SHOOTER MODE" as most people on the internet will proclaim it to be as you do in fact still need to speed up/down and pitch/yaw around so you aren't knocked out of of it (although there is still a fair amount of auto-guidance) and it is only really required on boss jets.

Just be aware that the first level will, in fact, confirm all fears the internet has about the DFM as your plane flies through buildings all on its own and control is taken away so you can watch explosions happen. It does get better after that... until you hit an overly long helicopter door gunner level but it gets better after that! ...until you hit an overly long Apache gunship levels but I do think the jet fighter/bomber levels really are just as good as anything the older Ace Combat's have.
So I downloaded AC, but is DFM actually required? I'm gonna assume it is since it's literally the first thing they have you do. Is there no way to take down the squadron leads (TGT_LEAD) jets without using DFM? They always just seem to be able to juke like mad and even if I stagger missiles they seem to always have CMs ready, as the regular jets seem to die alright. I kinda preferred HAWX in that respect where there was that OFF system that or even their AR thing didn't feel mandatory.

(Personally I didn't mind the gunner mission as an excuse to set up the game and roll the credits)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Insert name here posted:

There's usually only like 3/4 enemies per mission that require it.
I got a lucky missile on TGT_LEADs once or twice but they pretty much have infinite flares, even if they couldn't evade like crazy. Guessing it's not worth the time to try to take them out because apparently some of them are just scripted anyway?

Also that means I learned you can never run out of regular missiles, you just regenerate the 2 so you can fire. :effort:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Considering you get like 150 of those things you must have been really dedicated to not using DFM :v:
AC:AH is literally the second jet fighter game I have played but from what I can tell DFM really seems like a really shoehorned in mechanic versus just flying around and firing missiles at things. Hell, I even switched to the original controls for the pad so I can pitch/yaw/roll all independently. Say what you want about HAWX but it didn't force all their dumb crap on you if you didn't want to. At most in HAWX I occasionally used that augmented reality thing to set up attack angles at things like tanks wedged between 80 skyscrapers that would be hard as hell to maneuver inbetween.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

You most definitely needed to use OFF or the AR thing in HAWX for more than that though, some jets just turn and move too quickly to get a shot on otherwise just like in ACAH, or maybe I was really bad at it. I don't remember much from HAWX 2 besides hating it but do I seem to remember it getting even worse and some enemies just dumped infinite flares every few seconds and moving really fast, forcing your to use your guns while in OFF and OFF mode removes the gun reticule unless you're really, really close to an enemy plane while firing your gun.

And I forgot that ACAH's default controls are the Baby's First Jet version. God that was dumb. Anyone who's playing ACAH should change the control scheme before doing anything.
Honestly in HAWX AR was just a guide and even then in earnest I would try to do a few runs against super sandwiched ground targets before using AR, just to see if I was going at it correctly. But more often than not it just requires you coming in at really awkward angles I guess I was not used to at all but maybe made sense for people who grew up on stuff like this (yes, even if HAWX is technically arcadey as gently caress). OFF I didn't feel like was that useful except if you got caught with someone behind you and I was lazy, then I could use that to loop-de-loop or fly up into a stall, recover, then turned it off (or back to ON) and continue. I probably didn't even use it more than once a mission after most of the way through the game as it felt really weird to use. I played HAWX on normal and never found any superhuman cheating AI jets or anything. Also I haven't played HAWX2, but I assumed it was more of the same which is why I bought it at the time despite the reviews saying it was poo poo.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Just gonna go ahead and post this on the Everest thread, where everyone roots for climbers to die in the dumbest ways possible. This will make for one of the weirder dead body/route markers on Mt. Everest. "When you pass the frozen guy playing video games, you're 60% to the summit".
60% for a gamer? Seems awfully generous.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Bleh sale for Rise of Nations. My wallet is lucky since I decided to jump back into Civ 5 again that I don't need to RON right away.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Azran posted:

Warframe is a Third Person Shooter that gets buggier with every single update. If Warframe counts Warthunder counts as TPS too :v:
Someone told me Warframe was a good substitute for ME3 multiplayer and they lied to me. The missions are so drat long and except for maybe one mission type, nothing similar, and it seems super boring for PVE that it made me want to play PVP shooters again. Well, maybe not BF4, but still. Hell, I'll play Planetside 2 again, even if that is mired in F2P bullshit because at least it has the scale going for it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You won't get Adventure Mode, which is what everyone online is playing these days as the story mode sucks rear end and you've got much better loot opportunities from Rifts in Adventure Mode.
Yeah I wouldn't play D3 if didn't have adventure mode. Playing the story mode really sucked, sucks, will suck.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I might be the only person on Steam that doesn't own SupCom 1 but how does it fare on modern PCs?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Palpek posted:

Do play Diablo 3 expansion's story mode though, it's alright. Adventure mode all the way after that though.

The act 5 enemies kinda suck (too many offscreen charges, knockbacks) and Malthael sucks if you are melee and you up the difficulty. Solo, of course. Actually, the bosses kinda suck after you do em more than once or twice. That's usually why I skip A5 bounties.

SelenicMartian posted:

The is a chance you won't get any sound at all in the entire game, because the devs were idiots and built the entire game audio around some fancy then new libraries, that no one ended up fully supporting.
I'm sure there was a demo for the game way back when. Maybe I should hunt it down and see how that goes first.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The Kins posted:

Yeah, Night Dive are basically a indie publisher that inexplicably manages to negotiate the rights to digital releases that were previously considered impossible. The only thing they've really done to piss anyone off is releasing the Humungous stuff in big chunks that kind of flood the "New Releases" bit of Steam's front page, drowning a few indies out. Which is a pity, but not exactly setting orphans alight.
Last I checked Night Dive had something in the works for getting NOLF out of legal hell. I think a good chunk of them are probably lawyers, the good kind!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you thought Hitman Absolution was pretty good you will probably think Thief 4 is pretty good as well. Not like, mind-blowing or anything. Just unoffensively mediocre, with some irritating bits that end up souring the experience as a whole, but some really cool stuff sprinkled here and there. You have probably played and enjoyed worse games than Thief 4 or Hitman Absolution.
Play Splinter Cell Blacklist instead.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Are you referring to the first person sections as Briggs, or the sections where you're plot-discovered and forced into combat?

Reading this thread reminds me to play more of The Last Remnant.
Let's not pretend Splinter Cell was ever as pure stealth as LGS Thief. SC has always been action-y at points and yeah, I suppose the first person parts are 'bad' if you forgot that spies vs. mercs existed since Pandora Tomorrow, and you can still get by the FPS sections without going full rambo on everyone. There were already a few of 'plot-discovered' moments in the rest of the pre-Conviction games as well.

The entire 95% of the rest of the game is pretty much full stealth. Again, not LGS Thief or anything, but really well refined Splinter Cell. (yes, Splinter Cell is linear, always has been).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It was pretty sick in the original Walking Dead where Lee chokes the main antagonist dude to death. You can stop the QTE after he passes out but I don't know of a single person who didn't keep going on the first playthrough. It was pretty manipulative, but in kind of a good way?
Well, in episode 2 there is the one where you're trying to give CPR and even after Larry gets his head caved in you can still do the QTE for a second or two before you realize what the gently caress just happened

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Honestly after Diablo 3, if a Diablo clone still uses the old style skill tree of "level 1 spell does 6-18 damage" all the way to "level 20 spell deals 114-148 damage" I give up. Scaling the spell according to gear like they did in WoW and Diablo is such a smarter way to do it rather than copying and pasting spell ranks. Do people still do that? Last I checked this was still the case in Torchlight 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I've beaten this game and I really liked it. But I paid $15 and not $60 for it. The stealth segments are SO BAD. Everything else I like, it's just that it seems like they wanted to have some sort of game over mechanic or risk being called a walking simulator. But it'd be better as a walking sim!
So even worse than LA Noire? Even LA Noire only forced a bunch of action moments on you occasionally. From what I hear about Soul Suspect it's basically there all the time?

• Locked thread