Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LordHippoman posted:

Steam is cool and you can buy emoticons of weed to show off to your gamer pals.

Isn't the weed emote going for like $50 or something ridiculous?

Good OP, Delusi, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Technically the sticky thread is a Steam thread thread, not a Steam thread.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lock posted:

I said come in what is your steam profile.

I wanna be friends with a fellow IBD sufferer.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/1337b34ts/home/

Good advice.

I do not play IBD but I sent you a request anyway. Steam friends are cool.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Palpek posted:

Good, I'm now waiting for other official Steam threads that challenge the legitimacy of this one.

Is there a Highlander fighting game? We could designate representatives for each thread and have a tournament.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Joe Man posted:

I somehow grabbed Cortex Command just now. Like, an hour later. Thanks! It's been my white whale.

Have we reached the point where people don't click on things because they're assumed to be lurked, leaving them untaken?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Quest For Glory II posted:

I guess it really comes down to the fact that a few goons bookmarked the old Steam thread and constantly checked it for keys. That's pretty funny. It won't last though, eventually they'll all bookmark this one. Maybe it's an argument for making new Steam threads every month or season though.

They do that in DnD with politics threads. Maybe it is a good idea.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Anyone got an opinion on Habitat?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

No game did the "moral choice" worse than Bioshock. You can save the little sisters and still become a demigod, or you can OBLITERATE THEM YAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *SCREAAAM*

They were going for long-term rewards versus short-term power but yeah that falls flat on its face when the long-term rewards are hugely superior to the short-term while also requiring only a minimal short-term sacrifice.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

lordfrikk posted:

Nobody mentioned the recent South Park: The Stick of Truth game by Obsidian during the bug discussion! Not sure what the general response was but I'm happy to report no bugs were encountered when playing this disgusting game! :science:

I think it was fairly well received. All the YouTube LPers I can stand to watch have some videos of it, but of course that could easily mean gently caress-all.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kewpuh posted:

you had a good run temporary steam thread

I'm sorry, Hat Thoughts :(

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

King Vidiot posted:

Also there was that mod I discovered recently where you can save and import characters as NPCs across save files, which gave me incentive to create new characters so that I can have a dream team of overpowered Murdahkiin.

Fair warning: imported characters don't keep modded spells. Most of them are designed to be used by the player and only the player, and keeping them on the PC when converted to an NPC caused lots of problems, so the mod maker disabled it.

You could add the spells with the console, I guess, if you're not worried about breaking stuff.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Phenotype posted:

Why on earth isn't Mass Effect 3 on Steam? I actually thought it hadn't been ported to PC at all until just now.

Because EA are dickbags who insist on Origin

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Spiderdrake posted:

To be fair Sonic's head is so filled with eyeballs they overlap in the middle of his face, so anime eyes are probably a step back.

razorrozar fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 21, 2014

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Apropos of nothing: is there an in-universe reason the water monsters from Amnesia can't leave the water? This is bugging me today for some reason.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

John Murdoch posted:

guff to sink time into

If you remove all the window dressing (some of which is admittedly amazing), isn't this every video game?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Trustworthy posted:

New The Forest patch out. A bit disappointed I still can't catch rabbits for my rabbit cages, but clearly the dev's priorities are in exactly the right place:

I was going to try to justify this and then my sunk-cost self check went off.

The Forest is quite fun and I already feel it was worth the money.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PantsBandit posted:

Putt Putt Goes to the Moon was pretty fun, used to play it a lot at my local library.

Still don't want the code though :v:

I played a few of these games and others by the same guys. They were pretty fun... when I was a kid.

If you have children, consider grabbing a few of those for them.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

S'actually not a bad deal if you consider how expensive each game is. Whether any of them are worth playing is another question entirely.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grawl posted:

Is there a tool or website that goes through your inventory and points out duplicate cards?

I thought cards from the same game were automatically grouped? Every time I've had a dupe they've been adjacent.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Story About My Uncle - $2.59

How is this? I saw an early video on it a year-ish ago and it looked pretty neat.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

Re; GTA V, I think the story is your typical Rockstar tripe, but the online is super fun.

The main game is mostly pretty fun, I think. Basing it around heists was a pretty good decision. However, opinions, assholes, etc.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vidya Games: Srs Business

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

HardDisk posted:

Life is Strange is pretty cool, y'all.

Is the lipsync in Ep2 as bad as it was in Ep1?

Still a great game but goddamn it was like watching an old Godzilla movie.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Palpek posted:

• Escape Goat 1+2 - just an amazingly designed series with a great learning curve and gameplay ideas pushed to their limits
  • Shovel Knight - it's about a knight with a shovel
  • Full Bore - similarly to Escape Goat it's a really well designed game
  • Ori and the Blind Forest - people have been raving about it since release, beautiful both visually and when it comes to atmosphere
  • The Swapper - more of a puzzle platformer, atmospheric, claymation
  • Trine 1+2 - a bit in the genre of Lost Vikings, lots of combat and physics puzzles, great looking games
  • Rayman Legends - a big title with lots of different ideas and level concepts, features cool 2d art
  • Fly'n - one of the most gorgeous platformers on the market, competes with Rayman Legends, a cute game
  • Nimbus - a smaller game with a gravity gimmick but it doesn't outstay its welcome
There are tons of more if you start counting metroidvania games.

Would you consider Terraria and its ilk metroidvanias or RPG-platformer hybrids? (Or is that the definition of a metroidvania in which case I'm dumb)

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Palpek posted:

I was thinking more about games like Guacamelee, I wouldn't really throw Terraria into the platforming genre.

You don't think so? The way worldgen works it seems like platforming is pretty major, plus there are a bunch of accessories that let you do it better. (However as aforementioned I might be dumb)

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The hastily constructed edifice swiftly begins to topple.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The issue is NOT ":qq: I dun wanna pay for mods". None of us would have a problem paying for mods if they were worth it. The issue is:
a) Valve and Bethesda take a 75% cut
b) the modder gets nothing until they earn $100
c) if the mod earns less than $400 the modder therefore gets precisely jack poo poo
d) the 24-hour refund period isn't long enough to thoroughly test a mod to make sure it works and is good
e) refunds are only to your Steam wallet even if you didn't pay from there
f) there are so many mod codependencies that the legal issues are myriad, labyrinthine, and probably beyond fixing
g) Valve gives a poo poo about none of the above.

The whole thing is sketchy and poorly thought out and pretends to be paying modders when the vast majority won't see a single red cent from the Workshop.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lucid Dream posted:

The share the modder gets is (as far as I understand) defined by the publisher, not Valve. Valve gets their cut regardless of course, but it isn't the fault of the system that the modders get 25%. 25% is still better than 0% from the mod creator's standpoint.

The modder is getting 0%. With the near-universal backlash, the age of the game, and the $400 provision I'm willing to bet not a single modder will get anything out of this.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lucid Dream posted:

I disagree, but its kinda moot because this isn't a system put in place entirely for Skyrim, this is a feature that any game on Steam can take advantage of.

The Nexus has a donate button on mod pages. 100% of donations go to the modder.

You want your modders to get paid? That's how it should be done. Not this plastic-carrot bullshit.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lucid Dream posted:

This is entirely anecdotal, but in my experience virtually nobody actually uses those donation buttons. I ran a reasonably popular Minecraft server with significant custom server mods for a few years, and at first I had a donation button and I never got a single donation. As soon as I put in a subscriber feature that offered fair benefits (larger bank storage, priority server access, etc) I made enough to pay for the costs associated with running the server as well as a little extra. I think you are overestimating the amount of people that are willing to completely selflessly donate on the internet.

I... honestly can't argue with that. Unfortunately there's no middle ground akin to what you're talking about for modding and Valve's system is very probably not going to work. I'm not sure what the right answer is, but I AM sure this isn't it.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kyrosiris posted:

Sure there is: established, good modders that make the sort of "grand scale" mods that everyone loves to wring their hands about set up patreons like every other content creator has managed to do.

Thank you for being smarter than me.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Justin_Brett posted:

You thought it was a couple hours later, but it was actually three am.

And then you take one last turn and suddenly it's time to get ready for work.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Suspicious Dish posted:

when gfwl was still around, the most challenging and frustrating part of dark souls was the menus

i am glad those days are behind us

Bioshock 2 had the same problem.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jim Barris posted:

Could you go into more detail about this? That's pretty clever, really.

John Carpenter did it first in The Thing. If you understand Norwegian (or whichever Scandinavian language it was) those explorers at the beginning give the whole thing away.

Unrelated: gently caress enemies with paralysis attacks in roguelikes.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How is Subnautica? I'm concerned about "yet another early access open world survival game" syndrome, but I dig the concept and it looks really loving cool on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FirstAidKite posted:

Some people like doing new game +. Chrono Trigger did it well, so do the souls games. FF4DS' new game plus, I forget what all transferred over but I know that the augments did which meant you could give augments to different characters during the ng+ cycle that you didn't give said augments to during first cycle. I'm guessing the reason for only 3 cycles is that by that point you'd end up (if you played with the augments correctly) a bunch of people on your team with overpowered skills. Also I think maybe the game got harder on new cycles?? I dunno about that for sure, tho I do know there was an optional boss that could only be fought on ng+ cycles and was the hardest boss in the game

I think Borderlands does it pretty well. Also for all the flaws Golden Sun had, the second game let you do a NG+ that was either easier or harder depending on what you wanted which I thought was p cool.

• Locked thread