Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah the only big Steam sales are Summer and Winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Palladium posted:

I despise how Obsidian in general gets treated like poo poo when it comes to bugs (on a Bethesda engine, no less) but when the same thing happens to Bethesda own games they get a free pass.

So support F:NV for great justice.
There's just seems to be this animosity towards Obsidian by some gamers and reviewers and its just weird. They ain't perfect but Obsidian really tries to push the envelope when it comes to quality role-playing and storytellng in RPGs and they have the talent to back it up.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 20, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Phenotype posted:

I guess this answers my next question, which is "Why can I get Street Fighter and not Marvel vs Capcom?"
Capcom lost the rights so they couldn't make a PC port for MvC even if they wanted to.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's a pretty safe bet to not buy any Bioware games anymore in general. ME2 was their last good game and its not like there's a lack of quality WRPGs anymore like there were when Bioware was popular.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LordHippoman posted:

Anyone have opinions on the last Blackwell game? I loved the previous entries, but I can't reconcile paying 20 bucks for a series where most of the games take 2-3 hours to beat.
Epiphany is fantastic and is well worth 15 dollars.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd like it to play it for the laughs but the server is utter poo poo and keeps kicking me out.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Absolution would be fine if it didn't actively punish you for playing it like a Hitman game. Absolution isn't a good game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

Absolution is an amusing game, but everything about it is a total loving misstep. It's not even fun on its own merits, it's way too linear and many of the levels are just "get from point A to point B". It's from the Modern School of Game Design that states that innovation is bad because it means less sales, and everything must pander to complete dullards.

I bought it in a Steam sale for 4 bucks recently, and I don't know that I'll ever play it beyond the opening couple of hours. I've seen video of the later levels and they look basically identical to what I've seen, so I have no hope that it gets better. I don't know why people keep saying "...but it's still a good game, just not a good Hitman game!". No, it's not a good game.
I played up until the small town bar area and I saw that it could have been good if it wasn't cut at the knees for that pipe dream known as the Call of Duty audience. Some parts like Chinatown and the strip club felt like they had the potential to be good Hitman levels but they never follow through. I got the game for free and I still felt like I kind of got robbed. Gamers ride the Sunk Cost Fallacy train really hard so I can see why people defended mediocre tripe like Absolution and the new Thief.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, Velvet Sundown is kind of fun despite the jank. I'd be totally up for playing with goons because I haven't had a proper goofy as hell game yet.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zombie Samurai posted:

During the period where publishers were buying out all the vulnerable developers they could get their hands on, EA had a nasty habit of buying popular studios and unceremoniously dismantling them. They've tried to work on their reputation since then, but terrible game launches like SimCity and Battlefield keep them tarnished.
And from the sound of it they haven't learned for their mistakes at all because Sims 4 is probably going to be a trainwreck. EA isn't good, but Origin is fine now and I don't mind free games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

tripwood posted:

By the end I just cheated and made myself max level. The story is awesome but the game is just too hardcore just for the sake of being hardcore.
You got a link for that? It's probably going to be the only way I'm going to get through it because there's no real easy difficulty like in Witcher 2.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Mechanic Escape is a bad game. It's supposed to be a twitch platformer but it has really slippery and floaty controls.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I want to see the fattest, gooniest neckbeard win this. It would be hilarious.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Drifter posted:

It's a video submission, so they can judge accordingly. But that whole things sounds loving stupid. Ubi :shepface:
UbiSoft has to be the most erractic publisher out there. The AAA wing just can't stop making utter fools of themselves but man their recent budget titles are just so good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's also the Tropico series. 3 is a fun game and while I haven't played 4 I've heard its also just as good. Haven't really looked for opinions on 5.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ManOfTheYear posted:

Wow, Shovel knight is greatand I haven't played paltformers since I was like 8. Is there something similiar to new RPGs, like a modern game that's basically a rose tinted view of the nes-era games?
Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity is supposed to be one to the old 90's D&D RPGs like Baldur's Gate. Beta is next month, the full game is supposed to come out at the end of the year.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ManOfTheYear posted:

Alright, that's pretty cool. Is there anything for the classic FF/Chrono trigger style?
As Quest for Glory said the Zeboyd games to an extent. (Though there are more like Dragon Quest)Their Kickstarted game that's still in development, Cosmic Star Heroine, is planned to play similar to Trigger though.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 26, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SebAndSeb posted:

Does the first half of Broken Age feel like a satisfying 'part 1' or is there a jarring end to it?
I think it has a good ending for a first half. There's a cliffhanger but it feels like a good half-way point.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Waking Mars and Year Walk were both mobile games first and both are real good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

nightfries posted:

I have a ton of games I never play. I noticed my steam in game library lost a few of them. I had like 320 and then it went to 317 games. None of the ones off the list were non steam games I had going though steam.

Does steam ever drop support for a game and make it unavailable even if you paid for it already? What is happening to my precious library?
No they don't, i.e. Cryostasis was taken off the store like two years ago, but I still have it in my account and I can install it.

Are free weekend games included in your total, because that's the only thing I could think of.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Quest For Glory II posted:

Humble Flash Bundle: Humongous Entertainment

$1
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade
Freddi Fish and the Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds

BTA
Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon
Pajama Sam
Freddi Fish 2
Spy Fox in Dry Cereal

$20
Humongous Complete Pack

that's right. I went to the trouble of typing every letter of this. some games for yer sons and doggers
Hell yes, time for a nostalgia trip.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jordan7hm posted:

It looks like you get spare keys if you buy the 20$ bundle.
You do, you get separate keys for the games in the lower tiers along with the Steam key for the Complete Pack.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jordan7hm posted:

I got this and just played through the first Freddie Fish game with my 5 year old. I had no experience with them as a kid. I'm glad I bought them for him, he really enjoyed it. The art is still good and the entire presentation really holds up. The puzzles arent hard but they're not braindead either. A good introduction to adventure games and I'd recommend them (at least that one) to anyone with young kids.
I grew up on them, so yeah they're real good family games. I actually didn't play a good chunk of though, like Pajama Sam, so there was another incentive to buy them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Skilleddk posted:

Thief 4 for 10 bux, I'm still torn. Is it that much worse than the previous games?
It's really not good, don't waste your time and money.

Buy/replay Dishonored instead.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 29, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

nozh posted:

Is Murdered: Soul Suspect any good? It gives me Alan Wake vibes and I could go for another one of those thriller mystery type games. At $15 it doesn't seem like such a bad deal.
From everything I've seen and read its kind of mediocre. The writing isn't all that great and the combat/stealth sections are clunky and the investigations sections are half-assed. I've heard the atmosphere is real nice though. Just don't go in expecting Ghost Trick and the Blackwell series, because Soul Suspect doesn't hold a candle to them.

If you're looking for a mystery thriller game with Alan Wake vibes I really suggest keeping an eye on The Vanishing of Ethan Carter which is shaping up to be a potentially great game.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 29, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's little point in playing Codename 47 because Contracts remakes a good chunk of the levels.

Everblight posted:

Wow, people think the Blackwell series is good? In addition to being forced to run it in windowed mode because Wadjet Eye has never heard of the fabled "Options" menu, I thought the main character was completely annoying and stupid in the first game, and her whiny attitude has put me off starting part 2. Does it get better?
The series progressively gets better with each game. You definitely should give it another chance.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 30, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Leper Residue posted:

Cryostasis was a pretty cool scary game. You're on an abandoned ship in the arctic (or somewhere cold), the game is janky as hell, but I thought they did a good job with the atmosphere.

No idea where you can buy a digital copy though, all I could find were dvds from amazon.
You can't buy it digitally anymore, it got taken down from Steam and GOG like two years ago. You're either going to have buy a physical copy or :filez:. It is a cool game though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hat Thoughts posted:

Shattered Memories is a really good and cool game
This is a correct and cool opinion.

Origins was also solid in spite of its troubled development.

4 has some really good atmosphere and potential plot but I thought it just dropped the ball on a lot of it and the second half almost completely ruined the game. First half is real good though.

I really wish Konami would put 2 and 3 on Steam and GOG but that's probably never going to happen.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Dead Island was boring as hell, not even the Fist of the North Star mod could keep my interest for long. Dead Rising is such a better series its not even funny.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Insert name here posted:

Every time someone talks about Dead Island the first thing that always comes to mind is that tasteless women's torso they had as collectors edition bonus.
Or the one female PC that's called "Feminist Whore" in the game files. Real charmers, dose guys.

Also for people interested in Soul Suspect, its still 10 bucks cheaper over on Humble Store.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 2, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Downs Duck posted:

I installed the Director's Cut for Dead Island and followed the rest of Dominic Whites advice, but I still can't get into the game. I'm sure I'm playing it wrong or something? It's just a major drag to hit anything with the paddle I got for my first weapon; the combat is janky and clumsy as hell. Everything just feels like a chore. Is it supposed to be like this or am I doing something wrong? If anyone had fun with this game, please tell me what was fun and how long I have to wait for it, because the uninstall button is very tempting atm.
Dead Island is a bad game, its not you.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Downs Duck posted:

I see, just didn't think it was this bad. Thanks.
If you haven't played it I'd recommend Dead Rising 2/ Dead Rising 2: Off the Record if you want some silly zombie killing. It has some bullshit like bosses with wonky hitboxes but its still pretty accessible and overall a fun game. DR2 Off the Record even has a sandbox mode if the whole time limit aspect of the series puts you off. (The time mechanic isn't really bad though, I usually hate it in games, but DR2 gives you enough time.)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Thanks for this!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
One tip is give survivors guns, guns aren't super good for you but in the hands of survivors they have infinite ammo so they are great way to deal extra damage on a boss. Just be careful not to give them shotguns because they can blast you or other survivors if you're in a horde. Sniper rifles are the best way to go.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think EU4 is a lot less hectic because there's a lot less to deal with, just play it on Easy to get a better feeling for it. Also turn off Lucky Nations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

PantsBandit posted:

Giana Sisters is supposed to be good, right?
It's good for a while but towards the end of the game it devolves into almost Kaizo levels of bullshit platforming and I never beat it. I hear the sequel, Rise of the Owlverlord is a lot better about it but I haven't started it yet.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 4, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Orv posted:

Survival horror is a dumb genre anyway. :colbert:
More like dead genre, Slenderman and Pewdiepie made sure of that. Which really sucks because I really like survival horror games. :smith:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dominic White posted:

The movie probably doesn't gain much coverage from this, but Broforce - an indie shooter by a teensy tiny 6-person team in South Africa of all places - gets a mountain of positive buzz.
Yeah, after playing it I would probably buy Broforce right now if I weren't in a Steam Gifts giveaway for it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I ain't a fan of EA and I probably won't buy from them using Origin, but Origin itself is fine. I even played Saboteur without ever having to log in after I installed it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

hemale in pain posted:

Is there any really good must have Meridian4 games I should get? I was thinking of picking up Haegemonia just out of nostalgia
Scratches, though its got of the some old adventure game problems (Bad pixel hunting at times and some obtuse puzzles) but the atmosphere and writing make up for it.

• Locked thread