Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Duke Nukem Forever had a few great ideas. The drawing on the whiteboard was a fun addition. So long as that fun spirit is tied together with a good game, it could really be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

If I enjoy Dota but also like games like Swat and Rainbow Six, should I get CS:GO or Insurgency?

Would my friends who play CS enjoy Insurgency?

If you want a tactical shooter, play Insurgency. If you want a really tight competitive shooter that feels tactical but really isn't, play CS. Your friends may or may not enjoy Insurgency.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Same but I'm keeping an open mind. Civ 5 works kinda ok.

You know what it works shocking well with? Flight/Space sims. I tinkered with one for Freespace 2, Tie Fighter and Elite Dangerous and it all worked great thanks to how rebindable it is. It isnt the most accurate controller, so I'd never use it for a shooter, but it's good at broad strokes and moving around thanks to the trackpad.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Rirse posted:

Speaking of TIE Fighter, which is the best version to get on Steam?

Get it on GoG, you'll get everything.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Can anyone recommend a good RPG or RTS that's on sale at the moment? Hell, I'm even thinking about Subnautica. I dig survival games too. Thanks!

The Treasure Planet RTS is on Steam. Yes, it's an RTS about the Disney movie.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Drifter posted:

What? Binary Domain is amazing. The biggest thing is that the voice commands are coded REALLY poorly, so don't use them. And I guess, according to the hatepost from the other poster, you have an intro tutorial that's your first mission, so be aware of that.

I think you should keep voice command on and just repeatedly say "I like you" or "I love you" and laugh.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I guess dashing to high cover when no encounters are up is still okay, right? At least if they get an encounter, they're in cover? Or should I just generally never dash?

Never dash. Always overwatch.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Enemies that know they're being overwatched won't move. Not only won't you get to take those shots, but instead of moving the enemy will shoot at you more. See this post for specifics, but it's something that is very easy for new players to overuse.

And this is a good thing because it stops you being flanked. Always overwatch.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fart of Presto posted:

The only thing that's actually missing from Superhot, is the Max Payne jump dodge. God that would have been glorious.

Hold space whilst jumping, serves the same purpose without rotating your view.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

4JF is fun but iirc it isn't run by a goon, just a good samaritan :eng101:

Doesn't stop us from really getting into it, though!

truley one of the greatest works of our generation

but this is so beautiful

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Does Resi Revelations 2 have online co-op yet or is that game still bad?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I don't believe the single player campaign ever got online co-op

Bad game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Awesome! posted:

launch day going well!

To be fair, for launch day not that many headsets are actually out. They don't seem to have prepared very well, since orders are backlogged all the way through to May/June.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

I never played Doom. What DID make it legendary?

Kickass music, kickass enemies, kickass weapons. It was just fast paced loud and colourful fun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

That looks like a PS3 version and not like the PC version. I think you can tell by the "Saving..." in the top left.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Morter posted:

So after Contradiction and Her Story, I realize I really like piecing together clues to solve a mystery and junk

Any really good ones on steam? (Doesn't have to be FMV)

It's not on steam but go play the Phoenix Wright games. They are the best.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

Just downloaded Rocket League - I have to be missing something, right? There's a way to have a normal camera that doesn't think my mouse is a goddamned analog stick, constantly recentering it as soon as I stop moving my mouse? I just haven't found it yet?

Just toggle ball cam, don't use the camera.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

DoW 2 was a bad follow up to DoW 1. It played far too differently. It was a much better Space Marine game than DoW 1, but it didn't really feel right for the IG or the Orks. It should've been a part of a separate little series.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The best part is choosing the skeleton wife, and by being faithful to the skeleton wife who is literally nothing but bones she ends up turning into the hottest chick. Good game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

However, GalCiv 3 is literally the same game and has better graphics and multiplayer. I'd get it at this price, but be warned of expansions.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Velocity Raptor posted:

Are the expansions bad? There's a bundle with all the expansions for 40% off. Only :10bux: more than just the game itself.

Eh, they're alright. The mercs one kinda throws the balance of the game out of the window but instead makes it into a bidding war to amass a super-powerful fleet which I mostly don't mind since it lets you play as a peaceful mega-capitalist land.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nckdictator posted:

Question: I played MGS 3 a few years ago and really, really disliked it, which is weird because I love stealth games ala Splinter Cell Chaos Thoery/ Blacklist, Hitman, etc.

I've heard MGS V is different from the previous games somehow, so is it worth a shot?

You'll like MGS V, which makes you a terrible person because its a bad and boring game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Morter posted:

Most importantly: How much content of Terrorist Hunt is available and what is locked out of it (do the types of agents/operator matter? Do you select them in that mode)? Cause if I have full access to T-Hunt then i'm good to go.

T-Hunt kinda sucks in Siege so don't bother if that's what you enjoy.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mortimer posted:

if you had to describe the hand of fate card game aspect, what would you compare it to?

MTG shandalar? card city nights?

It isn't a card game. You make a deck of cards which are encounter spaces. You then choose from cards that are laid out on the table to find the exit. You need a good balance of cards to ensure your health stays good and yet you're still able to get better gear. Go watch a youtube video.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

You Must Build A Boat had them added in the most recent patch.

I guess you don't mean MMO daily quests? Cos most of them have something similar.

Daily Quests are just "do this", daily challenges are seeded randomly generated levels that is standardised online as that day's challenge and there are leaderboards for them.

The best challenge out there is the Hitman Elusive Target, but it's not daily. They come out every now and again and barely tell you anything about where the target will be.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I played AdvertCity and it's just a clicker with a tycoon skin. Avoid. It's terrible and I won by simply spamming every advert at every big building for facebook.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

So,have any goons played this yet? Looks interesting,but I'm worried it goes into Tumblr territory.

Played the demo and it's pretty great. It's basically Papers Please, but booze. Also has a great soundtrack.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

It's still a bad joke, and people are calling it what it is

I thought it was a pretty decent jab at anime and chuckled.

My biggest problem with the game is that it makes you choose 12 tracks in the soundtrack and arrange it in a jukebox. If that's the case, I may as well just mute it or turn it off and listen to the full thing on shuffle through youtube instead of this. It's silly and unnecessary. It also explains nothing outside of the booze making, such as what buying other items does for you. There's also no feedback with speech, such as beeping or a tone with a unique pitch similar to how Undertale or Phoenix Wright do it. That makes the conversations seem mostly soulless and kinda boring.

But hey, it's not a terrible game. It's only alright at best, and mediocre at worst.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

Why is the Halloween Hillary telling Bernspiece Sanders that he hosed up?

Why is this upside-down cross wearing motherfucker so incompetent?

Red hair guy is the main character. It's a murder mystery where the main question is "are these the works of a person, or the works of the mythical witch". Because it says he's incompetent in red, that means that is a 100% true fact. This is one of the rare visual novels that never, at any point in development, featured any sexual content.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dead Rising really could've used a kind of timeline jump feature, where you select a point that you've gotten to before, exactly the way it was when you did all that. It's sad when visual novels (such as Virtues Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma) have this exceedingly useful feature while big games by massive companies don't.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mortimer posted:

is there a yugioh game on PC?
:allears:

Actually yes, YGOPro. Just go into their discord in other to get the game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

P.S. Jalopy is pre-alpha EA, is by no means finished and runs a bit like an old Trabant itself, e.g. skipping the tutorial means your uncle never gives you the keys.

They're in the sun visor, above your seat if you choose to skip the tutorial.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StarkRavingMad posted:

I totally love Jalopy, although right now I'm a little sad that in the new update, Weird Uncle no longer rides with you. I hope they can iron out a few of the bugs with him and have him come along again. Or make him optional.

Weird Uncle rode with me when I was on the road to the CSFR border with Hungary, he started talking about the bridge and then disappeared. Jalopy and Euro Truck Simulator are weird games to play back-to-back, since they're similar but totally different.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I thought the story of Phantom Brave was mediocre and not good enough to justify suffering bad SRPG gameplay that took far too long to do, but I barely got 5 hours in. If the PC version is quick and responsive with mouse control and hotkeys it may be fun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Phantom Brave is a lot of things but I wouldn't say "slow" is one of them.

All Japanese SRPGs are slow and unwieldy due to the control system being designed for consoles. If it were more like say a Heroes of Might and Magic battle or original X-Com in terms of the control scheme, they'd be able to keep similar levels of complexity and still be faster to play. Also, this was one of the games that used the distance meter right? It's easier to just click a unit, then click a grid or target than clicking the unit, hitting move, moving, finishing the move and then hitting attack, select the type of attack, its target and then suffering menu upon menu upon menu. Even Fire Emblem's got that problem, though to a lesser degree to the Nippon Ichi games since there's less choice in terms of the different attacks.

I'll give the demo of this one a try though, who knows, they might have actually made a decent port that fixes the problems of the original.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

All you have to do is click on an enemy and select attack and then pick your attack and the game will auto-move you to be in range if you have enough movement left for it, or you can just select your attack and hold a button that lets you move your character around with your attack selected so you can pick a spot to attack from, neither of which are as bad as what you're describing here

I've just started the demo, and my goodness this is much better than the PS2 version. It's great, you do literally just point and click now. No dragging the selection thing the whole way across the map.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zombie Samurai posted:

Valve's next big game is going to be a Vive exclusive because they really need a killer app for that thing and I don't think they can rely on indies to carry it. My money's on Portal 3.

Nah, the indies definitely are already carrying it, it's pretty good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

That actually sounds like it could be interesting, it's funny that one of the screenshots is that though since it totally doesn't gel well with the description

It's a strange one. That description is regarding the first route, which is the one during the meltdown. The second route is the events leading up to the meltdown from the perspective of, you guessed it, a bunch of highschool kids. Pretty good visual novel, does drag on in places.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Weedle posted:

Is Minecraft: Story Mode worth playing if I've enjoyed other Telltale games but have no interest in Minecraft itself?

Very, very, very good for kids. Seriously they love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

how the gently caress is it a distant third behind an otome game and some kind of live action visual novel

428 is basically the sequel to Machi, which I believe is being LP'd here and is pretty silly and good. The otome game is about the daughter of a yakuza boss who has to conquer what is basically gang school to find her long lost brother. At least Shiren is out in English.

• Locked thread