Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

Well can you name anything else that's come out of Poland?
Shadow Warrior 2013, Hard Reset and Painkiller.
They do make good games, y'know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sivek posted:

I only played a bit of Teslagrad but the one-hit kill mechanics turned me off a lot and I just couldn't get into it.
A bit of warning there: Teslagrad isn't a metroidvania game. It's a puzzle platformer that occassionally makes you backtrack for collectibles but that's all there is to it: there's no exploration or enemies (except puzzle boss "fights"), despite the way the map looks it's strictly linear.
Not saying it's not a good game but might not be what you're looking for.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if serious but you might need a magic weapon. Sword +1 is totally different from Sword.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, they never had a story like Heavy Rain, that much is certain.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Shadowrun: Dragonfall, to an extent. You only create your one character but you can upgrade your party. Also the story and missions are pretty drat good even if you never heard of Shadowrun.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Necrovision is special. Didn't we have an LP of it a bit ago?
That's one way to put it. It starts in WW1 and ends you with riding a dragon to Hell's gates in order to kick Satan's rear end while dual wielding rocket launchers and making GBS threads magical explosive skulls.
That being said, if you don't like arena shooters, you might want to give it a pass. Really slow start, too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing through Blacklist right now and I'm enjoying the gameplay - while the story is goddamn terrible. I'm making a point of playing completely non-lethal in order to prove to myself I'm not playing that rear end in a top hat in the cutscenes.
Also love how it's perfectly fine to murder people as long as they're not American - shoot a prison guard, game over.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, the best part about Urban Chaos is the completely batshit storyline.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Lets not get carried away.
Right? If anything it's a Mediocre Game that Embraces The Stupid To Overcome Its General Blandness Occassionally.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair the worst case is probably Skyrim with its towns spaced in more or less equal distances around the landscape. Can't have the player wander too far from civilization.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 10, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Papercut posted:

I'd much rather a map be fun than realistic.
Why can't it be both? I'm thinking Morrowind here - lots and lots of infrastructure, cities clustered in inhabitable regions - and some of the most memorable exploration in games ever. (edited) Or, indeed, Dark Souls - a tiny piece of the world but polished to perfection.
The obvious answer would be "Bethesda can't pull it off" but what really baffles me is the lack of demand. Oblivion, Skyrim and FO3 have completely nonsensical worlds and they all go on and on about immersion.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 10, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

revdrkevind posted:

No, it really isn't. At one time I had forgotten how bad it was and had to look up some reference material.

D&D "miss most of the time" mechanics in a first person realtime game? Just never do that. Ever.
And it's a fine opinion, but, well, just that. I never minded the combat in Morrowind, still don't mind it, still replay the thing on my laptop.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

So, my Brazilian friend gifted me a copy of Baldur's Gate EE but turns out it's loving region locked so I can't activate it on my account, what the hell am I supposed to do now?
Move to Brazil?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd so back a sequel to Anachronox.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think a part of the problem is that it's mostly believable. Lara is decently written and the VA really sells her character (and pain) well - too well for some tastes. And that leads to a lot of people overlooking a pretty good game.
No one minds over the top violence but realistic violence just repels.

edit: VVV Good point about the mass murder but that's a tried and true Tomb Raider tradition. I still maintain the beginning survival parts are well done.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 28, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It honestly sounds like they're turning it into AssCreed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've never even heard of the four most popular games there.
edit: Thi4f at 30, that's just sad.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

funakupo posted:

I'm more interested in those Farming Sim numbers, and I like simulation games. I thought the 2015 release wasn't that good, atleast to warrant being that high up for popularity?
The entire population of Germany buys it anyway.
I honestly don't think the players of these things care about relative quality.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

And more specifically, don't feel compelled to fight if you are caught. I found the pitched combat to be hot garbage especially before you have the crazier spells, while the escape gameplay is incredibly robust due to great level design and blink coming standard. The most important thing is don't save scum ghost. When you get caught, try out the pitched combat and escaping and do whichever you find more fun or situation fitting.
Also note that stealth in Dishonored becomes way easier when you get access to more of your gear, specifically seeing through walls, possession and time stop. There's a reason why stealth games usually don't give you access to those.
(the reason is it's way too much fun)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Both Divinity Games are still worth it. Can't speak for the new one and Beyond is kinda lovely, but Divine and anything Divinity 2 is pretty drat great.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

My problem with Marvel Heroes was that it felt like an MMO to me and when people complain about not enough weight to combat in Van Helsing then Marvel Heroes has none in comparison. Of course people can still love it, it's just not my thing.
Really? Because I got pretty much the opposite out of it: it's the only ARPG out there that really makes you feel your character is powerful.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's a comic, people. Stupidity is in the definition.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

You guys are all insane. Getting around the city in City and Origins was fun and relaxing and it was always fun to pull off fighter jet maneuvers with a vinyl cape to more efficiently put a boot into a thug's face from 1km away.

I want more gliding tools in the next game.
Agreeing here. City's size was perfect, you could cross the thing in minutes if you knew what you were doing and it still provided enough variety. The fast travel in Origin just broke the flow completely, not to mention the boring environment.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

I tried buying Deadly Premonition twice (its 90% off till the 25th)
Wow. And they don't even advertise that anywhere. Thanks for telling me that!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Burnout Paradise is on a daily: someone care to elaborate on that a bit? I'm not primarily a racing game player but it does look rather nice.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, Brutal Legend's soundtrack is amazing. Still, I guess I can try Burnout given how cheap it is, thanks for the info.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So if I never played an X game and I wanted to buy one, which would be the one to get?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

Albion Prelude (you might need Terran Conflict to play it though.)

Avoid Rebirth.
So where does Reunion fit in? Sorry if I'm being annoying, but I've got this Freelancer itch I'd like to scratch and somehow managed to miss the existence of these games before.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

nofaves posted:

I was gifted Dead Island and Dead Island: Riptide from a friend. Do we need to start with the first one, or can we just jump into the sequel from the start? I've heard Riptide is better.
Honestly? Skip them both, break something over his head and tell him to get you Dying Light while he's still dazed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's not that good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just from the screens and descriptions it looks like a Russian E.Y.E.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How is the PC version of Dead Rising 2?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Have fun in heaven with literally only Peter Molyneux and a capricious superbeing for company.
There's no way Molyneux is going to heaven.
And I'm saying that as someone who's very fond of Fable 1.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Would it be too much to just refit Descent's multiplayer with modern graphics? Forget ships, forget singleplayer, just the clusterfuck we know and love.

Also, Nocturne may have been a bad game, but it really knew how to have style. Sadly, it doesn't even have the cult following that'd warrant a sequel.
Then again, neithe did AitD...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I dunno what it is about Descent that keeps inspiring spiritual successors that always end up terrible.
Single player focus. Descent campaigns were never good, they just served as a platform for multiplayer shenanigans.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Which would be fairly decent if the only two good games in that thing weren't ones just about everyone with a Steam account has already.
(I'm assuming that Deus Ex means HR here)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't speak for much of the others, but Shadow Warrior 2013 is utterly fantastic and worth it if you like arcadey single player shooters at all. Best FPS since Bulletstorm.
La-Mulana is worth it if you're a masochist with a puzzle fetish.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It plays perfectly fine on KB/M, it just takes some time to get used to it. I may be in the minority, but I enjoy TW2's combat as it is - it hits a right balance between being channeling you being a superhuman badass and still requiring strategy and rewarding item use.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Is Dragonfall any better then Shadowrun Returns? Because Returns took a huge leap into cliche it never escaped from.

Dragonfall is better than SWR in just about every regard. It's still a pretty standard fantasy story but very well executed and definitely worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

saucerman posted:

The only bad thing I (repeatedly) read about Dust is that there are furry characters. And Rogue Legacy is pretty good, actually, I don't know why you consider that one bad (and say what you will about Steam reviews but 95% of the almost 10,000 reviews are positive which is probably no accident).
It has a terrible story and writing all around. It's still pretty fun to play, if you don't mind the fact there's no challenge at any point whatsoever.
Also, character art is full uncanny valley all the time. Environments are gorgeous, though.

• Locked thread