Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Commissar Budgie posted:

IF you don't mind me asking, how does it stack up the original Prototype? I had a lot of fun with that game and the crazy abilites that it had.

It's Prototype 1 with the rough edges sanded off. Better controls, more useful abilities and less filler, more consistent combat, but it feels like less of an open world and a lot less interesting to just dick around in. I played P1 twice as much as I did the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Palpek posted:

Just to add 3 interesting titles from the weeklong deals:

Chainsaw Warrior is a digital version of a classic board game that I rememeber being pretty great. I don't know if this adaptation is as good though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUDUi9cfL98

It's a pretty straight-up adaptation of the solo board game, for better or worse, which I played a handful of times in the late '80s - I also logged a lot of time with a flash version of it that was on the web around 2000/2001 before that got pulled. If you've played either version, it plays exactly the same.

If you hate any kind of game that is influenced 99% by dice rolls, I'd advise steering clear, but I enjoyed it. At the beginning of the game, you get weapon and equipment cards (depending on the difficultly level, you either know exactly what you're getting or you get them randomly and only see what you got when you start) to help you mitigate certain situation you run into, and you can pick up a bit more when you're playing the game. You will curse at the screen whenever you run into the one situation you don't have a piece of equipment for (for the love of god, get the grappling hook any chance you get). You will still have runs where you have decent equipment but get crushed by unlucky dice rolls.

If you can get past all that, and once you play it enough and you know how everything works, it can actually be a fun and tense little diversion. Every time I've won, it's been by the seat of my pants, near death, with less than 10 turns left and with only one shot left in my weapon.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

lordfrikk posted:

Is this a mount in a single-player RPG I'm spying?

Yep, too bad they didn't include his in the trailer - they show everyone else's though.

I actually had no interest in this until I watched the trailer - the game itself doesn't quite live up to it, but, hey, giant hammer-wielding guys on lizards, Egyptian robot hand-cannon action, and cheesy heavy metal made it look real good.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

homewrecker posted:

Even the trailer for the game is fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daDiZrmZb-c

I'm actually kind of disappointed that this extended(?) version of the song isn't on the soundtrack, it's the best track. The great thing is how all of the songs, in many places, sample the original 8-bit tunes. As noted above, the devs put a ton of effort into the game, and if you were at all familiar with the original, it was great seeing how much they clearly loved it too.

Dominic White posted:

The recent trailer for Gear Up is clearly cribbing from that one, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUHn4cNvulI

Again, Simon Viklund doing the music. His style is pretty clear.

Wow, no kidding.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 12, 2014

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

Holy poo poo. Everyone who likes arcade racing games needs to play Split/Second. It is honestly one of the best I have ever played. It has the same problem that a lot of racers these days have in that there just isn't enough variety in the tracks for the length of the game, even though it also has more modes than just "race," but if you think blowing up a dam, rail bridge, tower, or calling down a cargo plane to crash on the runway in front of you is boring then I don't know what to tell you.

It also has a pretty incredible dynamic, original soundtrack to go along with those kinds of events, as evidenced by the first minute of this video and at 3:20 when he brings down the tower.

Nice, thanks for pulling that stuff from us talking about it earlier this year - was thinking of digging it up but :effort:

I basically was going to post just what you did. Split/Second is awesome.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

Think minecraft with a MUCH more robust survival and stealth system. You need to eat and drink far more often. Enemies are much more dangerous and come in hordes (since, well, they're zombies.) They can even smell you if you've been exposed to high scent stuff or are carrying something with a strong smell.

The other thing I would point out for 7 Days to Die with the above description is that, compared to Minecraft survival mode, you can't just plop down a bunch of dirt blocks around you and hope to survive for a while; 7D2D has a greater emphasis on reinforcing existing structures or building permanent ones. The building system in the game generally lets you set down a "frame" to plan out your blocks, and then you use a specific tool along with the proper materials to upgrade them into actual blocks. You can build quickly but it takes a while to remove fully upgraded blocks. You also can't build zany zero-g buildings and poo poo, the game has a physics system so you need to build stuff that is sensibly supported from the ground up.

There's a "creative" or cheat mode you can enable but I'd think if you want a creative block building game, 7D2D might not be what you'd want. If you like games that plop you down in the middle of nowhere and you have to gather/craft all of your poo poo to survive (The UnReal World, Minecraft survival mode, and so on), it might be right up your alley.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Luisfe posted:

Din's Curse and Drox Operative are EXCELLENT

This, although if I had to pick one over the other, I'd get Drox since it improves all around on a lot of the stuff in Din's.

If you're unfamiliar with either game, they're basically ARPGs with some sort of simulation running in the background - in Din's Curse, monsters from a dungeon under a town are slowly massing and will invade the town, while you go down to stop them; Drox is a space ARPG where a 4X game (think Master of Orion) is going on in the background and your character can take sides and do what you want to influence the conflict.

Neither game is particularly pretty, they're not very intuitive, and, as with most ARPGs, they get very repetitive. But on the other hand if you don't mind that and love ARPGs in general, they are pretty unique in the genre

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Freak Futanari posted:

So i'm one of the people who were given a free Road Redemption key by the devs, and i feel obligated to tell you all that holy poo poo this game is fun as hell. It's fast, intense, and the combat is wonderfully brutal.

I haven't been able to pick this up yet but it looks like a lot of fun. Can you actually play through the whole game? It's early access right?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Grabbed this, thank you!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

So last year that letter Valve sent to devs/publishers for the sale that got leaked indicated that the sale prices for participating games would be the same in both the Fall and Xmas sales - has there been any indication they're running it the same way this year? It was kind of nice last year to pick up the stuff I really wanted to play over Thanksgiving and save the ones lower down on my list until the Xmas sale and not have to worry about something being offered cheaper later.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

Alright so if I'm a big fuckin' goony nerd (which, duh), which horrible zombie survival game should I be keeping an eye on? I have State of Decay and Project Zomboid already, and love both (PZ in spite of itself), but I'm liking the look of some of these Minecraft/Zombie crossovers. Have an eye on 7 Days to Die, do that or any others warrant attention when they hit dailies?

As someone who loved State of Decay and felt PZ is sort of lacking at the moment, I really, really enjoy 7 Days to Die. I bought it in the summer sale and it's seen several major updates since then. If you enjoy "sneak around and scavenge and try to avoid zombie hordes" gameplay you will probably like it. Early access disclaimers fully apply though, although of the handful of EA games I own it's easily one of the best - I've put more time into 7D2D than anything else I've played this year.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Palpek posted:

I can't help but feel that this sale's deals are purposefully lower than the upcoming Xmas sale. Not that many 75% off and that's strange.

Last year the prices for the autumn and Xmas sales were the same and people bitched and moaned every day about how everything in the two sales was a horrible repeat and boring, discounts weren't low enough (they weren't compared to previous sales), etc., blah blah blah

So yeah, business as usual!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

Beyond Earth is now on sale at -30%. If I wait two days until the sales list shuffles again, could it possibly be listed at an even greater discount?

I doubt it. It's a featured deal on a timer so it's likely this is as low as it will go.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

McCoy Pauley posted:

Drox Operative looks good, but I'm not sure whether I should care about that warning on the store page about third party DRM. Anyone know whether that DRM is problematic or not?

From the store page: "Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: simple key"

I put about 60 hours into the game earlier this year and I don't even remember that, but it's likely they just ask you to put in a key - you know how Steam pops up that little tab when you start a game saying "here's the key to put in"? Pretty sure it would just be that.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Is the DLC for Euro Truck Simulator 2 optional, or is there something in there that should be grabbed for first-time play?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Awesome! posted:

death skid marks is cool

Yeah, I bought it the other day and it refuses to run. As a matter of fact, it's the only game I've ever bought on Steam that just flat out refuses to run. Apparently I'm not the only one it's happening to and the devs are looking into it, but that was money I could have put into something else.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Morter posted:

I want you guys to know that, from a goon with 200+ hours in Riptide, 65 hours in State of Decay, and dozens of hours in miscellaneous games that most people didn't like, that Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army is a bad game. Even if you like :airquote:bad games:airquote:, you won't like this.

Hi, here's a counterpoint - Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army is actually not a bad game :smuggo:

Deakul posted:

Yeah, this poo poo is such a slog.
... the enemies are bullet spongey, and beating the bosses requires blind luck.

Also, the bosses (the helmeted gatling gun miniboss guys as well) are the only things approaching bullet sponges in the game and I can't remember any boss in either NZA 1 or 2 that required blind luck to beat - what boss was giving you trouble like that?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

tater_salad posted:

This guy is lying ive played nazi army and agree that enemies are sponges and there isnt enough ammo.

Haha no. If you're playing the NZA games just like Left 4 Dead, just using the machine guns/shotguns and not primarily the sniper rifle, and not trying your best to headshot anything, then yeah, I can see how you'd run out of ammo and the game would be super hard. I beat both NZA 1 and 2 solo in about 6-7 hours each and wasn't having any monumental problem with either game.

These guys have it right:

duckfarts posted:

It's an okay game that's balanced for coop. If you're running out of ammo all the time, you need to be making use of your items and environmental hazards more. Those tank guys are assholes though.

Using mines and trip mines to give you time to snipe an incoming horde and using grenades/dynamite as crowd-clearing or last resort is critical. Really I always used the sniper rifle whenever possible and saved the shotguns/machine guns for skeletons and the kamikaze guys that would breach whatever jury-rigged defensive line I set up.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's definitely possible to beat Nazi Zombie Army 1 in single-player, but yeah the bosses are a huge pain. The machinegun one is obnoxious, but is only a serious pain the first time you fight him at the climax of the first mission.

You don't need to be lucky to beat the bosses - they are tough (and spongey) in a solo game. I remember that first boss fight being rough because not only do you have to deal with that guy, you have to deal with the horde coming in with him. Once you thin them out (using mines and traps! and grenades! everything you can get your hands on, and there are often ammo replacements lying around the boss fight areas too!) you can bring him down a little quicker using explosives and it's easier to get headshots on him once he's the only guy you're fighting.

Seriously the worst boss (in both games) are the guys with the floating skulls you have to shoot while you're getting rushed by the common enemies, but there are ways to deal with that too if you're solo (leave one minion guy to run around and chase you, lead him to one side of the level then run back to the other and you've just bought yourself enough time to shoot 2/3 skulls).

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The irony is I thought this post was sort of "smug"...

Morter posted:

I want you guys to know that, from a goon with 200+ hours in Riptide, 65 hours in State of Decay, and dozens of hours in miscellaneous games that most people didn't like, that Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army is a bad game. Even if you like :airquote:bad games:airquote:, you won't like this.

...because you didn't really outline what it was you didn't like about the game (and actually because if you replaced Riptide with 7 Days to Die that first line would be basically describing me)

However your second post outlines specifically why you didn't like it and I can really appreciate what you're saying. Believe it or not, I agree that the game isn't perfect, I wasn't actually criticizing how you play the game (that was someone else), and honestly it shouldn't matter if I was or not anyway. We're all just sharing opinions here, friend!

Morter posted:

your smug standards

I didn't really think I was being smug, nor was I aiming to, but I guess that will teach me to post while being distracted by other stuff. My bad.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

:doh: Crap...I was making a joke on a comedy website?

So if I've never played any of the Lego games, how is the Marvel one on sale today? Is it just a platformer?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Awesome! posted:

hey guy who couldnt run death skid marks, they just pushed a patch and one of the things says it should fix some problems for people who cant launch the game so try it again.

Yeah, they fixed it - I'm able to run it now.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Deadulus posted:

Never played a survival game. Is the Forest any good? Or 7 Days to Live?

Can't speak for The Forest, I'm waiting for that to get a little more complete based on what people are saying.

Did you like Minecraft? 7 Days to Die is basically what Minecraft survival mode should have been. Build or fortify a base and defend it from the zombies tearing it down, scavenge for food, water and items to craft. It's hard on first-time players but once you know what you're doing it gets a lot easier.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Ddraig posted:

If you want a good survival game, play Miasmata. It's basically a huge beautiful island that you've woken up on and you are dying of a disease that you need to cure using the local plants.

Navigation is done manually and you have to orienteer and triangulate your position using known landmarks or you will get lost and probably die.

It's an amazing game that is a legit survival game and not an excuse to shoot zombies.

I really enjoyed Miasmata but I would warn anyone interested in getting it that it's definitely not a game that holds your hand. It is really, super easy to get lost and die if you aren't paying attention to everything around you (paths, plants to gather, etc.), and I can only imagine the fits some people would have with the game's system of player character momentum, which in theory is really immersive but in practice can be very frustrating in spots (I'm thinking there was one base around a ravine/river that I kept falling into and injuring myself even when I was sure I was taking it slow).

It really is a beautiful game though and definitely on the unique end of things.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Orv posted:

Hope spergs eternal.

B-but guys! They might totally add another day onto the sale for encores! And everything will be 5 bucks!

:allears:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Watching some random person play Shadow of Mordor, this is neat.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

I'm watching a stream of World of Warcraft on that community page, so yeah it looks like you can do non-Steam games.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

Waste of time. The best way to solve any problem in Guerilla is to ram poo poo with the largest truck.

Absolutely. Guerilla was so much fun. If you've never played it before you really need to try it. It's one of those games, though, where you should just swallow your pride and set it to "easy" otherwise the space cops will drive you nuts.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Does the Law & Order game feature the DOINK DOINK sound?

It's a make-or-break thing.

It does.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Everblight posted:

Page 666 of the Steam thread!

[insert old Steam thread OP here]

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

is that why missions keep restricting all the abilities

This was what kept me from playing Saints Row 4 any further than the main story missions (which I actually really enjoyed) and a few of the side missions - it was frustrating as hell to not be able to cut loose with whatever you wanted, and the side missions were so drat boring.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Ddraig posted:

The best Retro Platformer is Bionic Commando Rearmed, which realized there's more to 'old school' than pixel graphics, and managed to make a properly retro platformer that looks stunning.

Has an amazing soundtrack too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPtHTroVWPM

I knew what track you would link before I clicked on it, thank you :)

It really is a great game and a nice update of the original.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Imapanda posted:

I love the new Streaming feature. Whenever I play some of my games complete strangers watch me play and root me on. :3:

I actually set my games to be open to the public and I've had two viewers join over the course of one week. There were some people in here last week when they were announced it who sounded uneasy with having strangers watch them, but if it's any consolation, the truth is you might get no one at all.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

afkmacro posted:

Has anyone tried the road rash game? http://steamcommunity.com/app/300380

I used to love that game to death on my genesis when I was 11, nostalgia is pushing me to buy it but I kinda have this ridiculous rule (to avoid spending too much) to avoid games that would rate under 70 in metacritic and this "looks" like one of them.

I got this in the auction the other day. I've never played Road Rash and I'm enjoying it. It's pretty straightforward racing/fighting on motorcycles. There is some jank, it being early access and all (loading times could be improved, some hiccups in performance), and certain stages are stupidly hard without practice (the rooftops) or outright bullshit ("hallucinogen" stages where the game drops cars on you from a near unavoidable distance) but I've already put a few hours into it and plan to keep playing.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Dominic White posted:

Well, here's a well timed release. A great indie sale recommendation:

Running With Rifles, now in final beta testing before release. Version 0.99, 33% off.

It's a great little game. It's basically Cannon Fodder + Planetside. There's a huge RTS style war going on between several AIs, and you play as a single soldier (and eventually a squad commander if you do well) in this massive meatgrinder. Playable entirely solo, but it's far cooler with others online. It's another of those quiet little indie gems with an Overwhelming Positive score on Steam.

This is a legit good game, don't let the early access label fool you here. I got 10 hours out of it easily back when it was released earlier this year and it was in good shape and totally playable then.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

How is 7 days to die as a single player survival game? I noticed it's $12 over at the Humble store.

7DTD is the game I spent the most time on this year according to Steam, and I spent all but like 15 minutes of it in single player. It's a lot of fun. It shares the same problems a lot of survival/crafting games do, in that once you figure out how the AI works and you get yourself set up with enough supplies (and you don't have human players loving with you), you can become nearly invincible until you get cocky and do something stupid to injure/kill yourself, but unlike other similar games, it takes some effort to get to that point. The game's still being working on, though, and the devs are changing/experimenting with stuff in each new alpha release, so true balance stuff is still a ways down the road.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Parallax Scroll posted:

If I'm broadcasting and a viewer asks a question in chat, how can I type a response?

Shift-Tab into the overlay view and you can respond.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

koolkal posted:

That game got weird when I started finding random copies of the entire bible.

I saw reviews where people poo poo on the game for that and a handful of references the characters make about God, but frankly I thought those criticisms were overblown because none of that really meant anything major in the game and none of it is particularly forced down your throat (it's been nearly a year since I played and if it did play more of a role, I've basically forgotten about it).

It's a neat game because it was very clearly a personal product for the husband-and-wife dev team - for crying out loud, the main heroine you meat halfway into the game is basically meant to be the wife dev - that wears all of its influences on its sleeve, but it doesn't overstay its welcome and the overall mood is funny and agreeable. It was a nice diversion that I beat after two evenings of play, and it's well worth the current price.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

So, anyone play the alpha of this game? It sounds interesting (roguelike with an open database for items, monsters, quests, etc. that users can mod), but just from checking their twitter feed, they were going to release it to Steam last week and something unspecified happened to prevent that, then they announced it would be released today but it's still listed as coming soon.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Gimnbo posted:

If you like the series you'll like 8. It's similar to 7, if you've played that. If you haven't, you'll be quite shocked by the idea of a DW game with actual production values.

Gonna agree with this. I played the poo poo out of DW 2 and 3 and then never touched another one (over a decade ago) until I picked up 8 yesterday, and I'm really impressed. There's no way in hell I'm going to unlock or grind out most off the stuff in the game, and I'm still coming to grips with the new (to me) weapon systems and everything they added since 3. I just love running around scattering dudes with huge gently caress-off attacks, and in that department, it delivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

Why is it not on sale, without even a symbolical discount? Are devs Steam-phobic like that Castle Doctrine guy or they think that they are too succesful to rely on sales?

They just don't want to put it on sale yet. Here's a thread in the Steam Community (lol) where the devs deflect queries similar to yours:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/250760/discussions/0/626329820819471754/

I know people have stated (numerous) times upthread there's a specific reason they gave, but IIRC it's pretty much "we don't want to put it on sale immediately."

edit: reading that thread, hoooly poo poo are people salty it's not on sale.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 25, 2014

• Locked thread