Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

For anyone curious, I've watched Captain Swing stream a few hours of Vlad the Impaler and it's a pretty cool visual novel kinda thing. You pick one of three classes and travel to Istanbul, where dark poo poo is afoot. The game is broken into 15 days (3 days per "chapter"), and on each day you choose a location in the city to visit. A random event plays out in which you get a binary choice, A or B, and your decision affects your stats and the potential to get other events later on. You have 8 stats to keep track of, and at the end of the game there is an actual battle where your stats determine which of your options are most effective. Seems pretty good for a few playthroughs, and they're still adding stuff to it (it's not Early Access).

The writing and art style are both quite good, and really evoke some gruesome, Lovecraftian tones. It's not going to last you a super long time (I think Swing saw pretty much everything after 4-5 hours), but I'd say it's a worthwhile experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Awesome! posted:

so it's like long live the queen but a vampire simulator instead of a princess death simulator?

Your character is like the most capable vampire hunter in the history of the world. Spoiler about character death: I don't think it's possible to die until the final battle, so no matter how bad your choices are you'll be murdering roomfuls of assassins with a brooch pin. Lots of people die around you, a lot of them by your own hand. It's more like a mass murderer simulator.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

It seems like Steam is having more and more unmentioned deals now, Walking Dead S2 is 33% off this week because of the new episode, and Frozenbyte is having a sale: Trine for $3, Trine 2 for $4.

I've noticed this for the last few months. I think indie developers are getting more aggressive with their pricing. It is a REALLY GOOD IDEA to put everything you have any interest in getting on your wishlist now, either to check once in awhile or get the sale email from. You might not notice a sale on the more obscure stuff otherwise.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Armor-Piercing posted:

I don't see a thread for Planet Explorers but it's $15 on the midweek deal. Has anyone played it? The list of content under "current features" looks good so far and it seems like they've been putting out updates pretty regularly. It's too bad that fishing/herding aren't in yet but as long as I can farm/mine/craft in it and wander around I might pick it up.

I'm super tempted to just buy it and start a thread about it (assuming it isn't poo poo). It's one of the most interesting-looking games on my wishlist, yet I only have three friends out of 187 that own it, and only one has played it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

You guys might want to take a minute to give Velvet Sundown a try. It's a free multiplayer game where you're a character on a yacht, trying to get information from other players who also have an agenda. Basically a social chat game, but this one converts your chat to voice. So this exchange gets a lot funnier when you hear it spoken:

quote:

Captain Swing: Know where I can score some weed?
Player: I think the man in the black suit.
Captain Swing: That's racist.

Okay last one I swear

Dude started tasing all the passengers right after that. I'm not making this up.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 22, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Velvet Sundown update: You can play as a literal drug dealer and get all the other passengers high.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Awesome! posted:

lol so when they're asking for weed they're serious?

Yes.

The guy in my last screenshot keeps asking for women's underwear. At this point I'm ready to believe this is his actual mission objective.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Okay I lied.

The round before this one ended with a rap battle.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Mushball posted:

Is it all just text or is there actual voiced dialog being exchanged? This game looks like an interactive soap opera complete with dumb plot developments and intrigue of the real ones on TV.

All voiced. You type whatever you want, and the game converts it to voiced dialog. It's even funnier than whatever you're imagining right now.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Way fewer giant dragon dongsMuch less mocking giant dragon dongs, I suspect.

I'm not so sure.

quote:

Lora: How did you do that?
Ingmar: Do what?
Lora: Show your item
Ingmar: I can show you items

The system tried to covert *zzzzzip* to speech, too. Asterisks and all.

EDIT: Ingmar's voice is incredible

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 23, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Velvet Sundown is legit good, you guys. After a bunch of rounds of loving around, Swing managed to get his hands on some data disks and sell them to an industrial spy for big money. It played out just like a scene from a Bond movie. Very cool.

Then he tased the guy and told everyone he was a terrorist. But still, very cool.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Palpek posted:

Anyway, some games caught my attention from recent releases:

Halfway - X-Com like turn based tactical game + rpg with a cool aestethic, holy poo poo it looks nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKXxA382xPs&t=43s

That art style is gorgeous, god drat.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

One more post about Velvet Sunset, since Captain Swing asked me to share this. I had the privilege of watching this all unfold.

quote:

Captain Swing: Recap: I got high with my long lost daughter
Captain Swing: Got a taser from her
Captain Swing: Found some confidential data
Captain Swing: Sold it to a wealthy african dude
Captain Swing: Stole the data back
Captain Swing: And then convinced an oil company employee to give me his ID and go defuse a bomb that doesn't exist
Captain Swing: That's a win in my book

The daughter thing was some woman absolutely DESPERATE to get his business card, which she never got, the poor dear. The data sale was the Bond-esque moment I posted about earlier...when everyone plays along, this game can have some fantastic atmosphere. We were both really impressed with that. And the bomb thing...well, I really can't do that justice. It played out like a scene from Deus Ex, if someone was completely jerking J.C. around.

In conclusion, Game of the Year.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

See also:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent (horror)
Binding of Isaac (roguelike Zelda thing)
Braid (puzzle platformer)
Cave Story (action platformer)
Frozen Synapse (strategy)
Jamestown (vertical shooter)
LIMBO (puzzle platformer)
Little Inferno (experience)
Machinarium (adventure)
Papo & Yo (3rd person platformer)
Risk of Rain (roguelike platformer)
Rock of Ages (stone rolling destructo thing)
Spelunky (roguelike platformer)
Super Meat Boy (ultrahard platformer)
The Swapper (puzzle platformer)
To The Moon (adventure)
Trine/Trine 2 (adventure platformer)
VVVVVV (puzzle platformer)
World of Goo (puzzle)

If you're just now getting around to indie gaming, you've got a lot to catch up on.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

I swear I never quite got the hate for EA. Origin is actually a fantastic platform and giveaways like these are pretty nice.

During the period where publishers were buying out all the vulnerable developers they could get their hands on, EA had a nasty habit of buying popular studios and unceremoniously dismantling them. They've tried to work on their reputation since then, but terrible game launches like SimCity and Battlefield keep them tarnished.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

PowerBeard posted:

How did Afterfall Insanity get a sequel / another game. It was a janky version of Dead Space with only one or two original ideas to its name. Heres hoping they can improve on their ideas.

The devs were pretty aggressive about getting it discounted and into bundles and giveaways and stuff. It probably did well enough to warrant more on their budget, and honestly it's a pretty solid game. The combat is good, there's a wild variety of enemies, and the story goes further into crazypants land than most games dare to. Personally I'm happy to see more on the way.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

Just be aware that the first level will, in fact, confirm all fears the internet has about the DFM as your plane flies through buildings all on its own and control is taken away so you can watch explosions happen. It does get better after that... until you hit an overly long helicopter door gunner level but it gets better after that! ...until you hit an overly long Apache gunship levels but I do think the jet fighter/bomber levels really are just as good as anything the older Ace Combat's have.

Assault Horizon seems like a really cool game until you realize the final target on just about every map is functionally immortal until you engage DFM because you HAVE to end the mission with a cinematic close call explosionfest. It's a cool mechanic but the way they force it on you is very souring.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

I think the only boss fight in Ace Combat I ever liked was in Ace Combat Zero where you wind up literally jousting the final enemy. Every other one was really just flying at a big target multiple times. While it is repetitive at times I just don't really think DFM wound up any worse than any of the other level quirks the older games threw at you. I will say that I think the only time the DFM really came into its own as an awesome mechanic was when you used it to make attacks on the enemy fleet. Its still pretty scripted and linear but the camera angles while explosions and bullet tracers fly past you is pretty awesome. Otherwise I just think it winds up being pretty inoffensive, and at least the very least a lot better than HAWX's "OFF" system.

I hated that you were forced to use it, and the only way you knew you had to use it was that all of your missiles would mysteriously miss this one particular target. At least with gimmick bosses in the previous games AWACS would tell you exactly what to do. In AH you just run into magically invincible planes.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Xaris posted:

gently caress yes. I miss your gifs. I was was afraid you had died since you haven't posted much.

Do you have a collection of them all uploaded somewhere for posterity?

Click here to make all your dreams come true.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Trustworthy posted:

For anyone who was going to try out Velvet Sundown, they disabled text-to-speech (presumably due to server overload) which makes the game waaaaay less weird and awesome. I recommend giving it a pass until they fix this.

RIP Ingmar, voice too sexy for this world.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Acquire Currency! posted:

Is there an Infinity thread and is infinity like that good ole' Ace Combat. 4, Belkan, Unsung, were extremely my poo poo and shooting falling space stations will never not be amazing.

Right here. I understand it's a mix of new scenarios and classics from the previous games.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Palpek posted:

This looks interesting: Third Eye Crime.

Cool graphics and it seems like Commandos: stealthing between patrol routes: noir: the game. Animation seems a bit too flash for my tastes but hey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzW9Yl9zpAU&t=30s

The way everyone swings their arms like they're drunk is loving hilarious.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I know I should be used to things like this by now, but the fact that Tropico 5's first DLC is all about artisanal cheeses is super funny to me.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Whole lotta tallships and draculas in this week's deals. Good times.

Wanna throw out a special mention of The Chaos Engine at $2 for anyone who doesn't have it. Pretty great top-down shooter from the Amiga era (known as Soldiers of Fortune back then) with 2-player co-op. Features distinct classes and character progression! It's old-school, weird, and gets hard as hell by the end, though. Pick it up if you didn't have the foresight to keep your SNES cart, you poor thing.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

tidiox posted:

Isn't Pixel Piracy the game where the developers thought it would be a good/fun idea to simulate the pirates' bowel movements? And it ended in an issue where the pirates were defecating faster than you could feasibly clean the ship, thus filling the ship with feces?

All across the globe, the ears of a thousand SS13 goons perk up.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Drifter posted:

I don't know why you neglect to mention, even shallowly, the literally only unique (not that the other parts aren't also pretty solid and good) thing about the game, namely its combat. Which is interestingly strategic and fun and incredibly obfuscated unless you learn about it from another source not in game. It's group based with tons of 'formations' and unique attack arrangements contextually orchestrated through your location relative to enemies on the battlefield and to characters in each of your squads. It's actually really loving fun.

I will back you both up on this, because The Last Remnant is that rarest of birds, a JRPG with genuinely unique and fun combat. I'll also throw in support of the writing, which is above average and features a pretty likable protagonist and supporting cast.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Drifter posted:

I loving hate mashing buttons for stupid poo poo like that.

There have been exactly two instances of button-mashing QTEs being good in all of gaming. One was God of War pulling the head off a corpse and the other was Modern Warfare 2 pulling a knife out of your own chest.

This is because button mashing QTEs are ideal for making your player experience extreme discomfort and agony.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Ragequit posted:

How about pulling rebar out of your stomach in Tomb Raider?

I didn't need to mash anything in Tomb Raider to experience discomfort and agony.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, I remember people complaining about the how horrible and fake and wannabe-batman he sounds. Dude has been in a bunch of TV, and that's just what his normal speaking voice is like.

I'm not sure if I'm jealous or not.

He sat in on a playthrough of his own game if there was any doubt. Really funny guy, too.

And hell yes I am jealous.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I missed the Firefall chat, but what the gently caress is up with the NPCs in that game? Each one has an in-game model, a portrait, and a voiceover, and none of them match. There's a bartender I had to talk to at one point that looked like some goofy white guy with weird hair. When his portrait came up he was a super cut anime dude. And then his VO started and it was basically Michael Clarke Duncan.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Anyone a fan of that game Shadowgate back in the NES days? I loving loved that game, and it managed to scare the crap outta me. Well it's being remade and I think it looks awesome.

Comes out in like 3 weeks and I'm pumped.

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I want this so bad. I still have the original NES cart, too.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Why are you all arguing about lovely controls instead of playing The Expendabros for free?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Trustworthy posted:

But it's freeeeeeee!

Huge savings, too!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Man, let Cuba invade for once. Cyborg Zombie Castro activates his thousands of sleeper agent refugees and nanobot mind-control cigars to seize the nation in a matter of days. That leaves it up to a rag-tag band of unlikely heroes to storm Nuevo Havana (formerly Miami) and end his reign of sorta-communism from beyond the robo-grave.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

Finished Tomb Raider, the pratfalls never stopped, A+ comedy, good game, lots of unintentional laughs and fun sequences. Dunno if I'm gonna bother exploring the secret tombs or not since they're typically just one puzzle.

I think Tomb Raider is a fantastic game, but it's definitely the type that you 100% the first time through or not at all.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Holy poo poo I love your new avatar.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Okay, I actually have something to post now. Eldrich is the daily deal at $2.99. Worth it if you are interested at all in the game. The difficulty is a little uneven; I can speedrun the first chapter, but the second chapter always kicks my rear end. It's also gotten two free updates since it was released, the Mountains of Madness and the Asylum. I don't think the dev ever promised continued development, but he seems to add to it periodically.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

You made me curious what The Chinese Room is up to right now, and it looks like something more in their wheelhouse.

http://thechineseroom.co.uk/blog/ posted:

As most of you know, for the last year we’ve been hard at work on Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture. As usual at The Chinese Room we’ve taken on a hugely ambitious project for the scale of the team and we’ve had our heads down for the last few months really nailing down the look, feel and sound of the game.

There’s still lots of work to do but we’re delighted to be able to show you some of what we’ve been up to at the Playstation blog.
You’ll also find the trailer, screenshots and a music track there.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/12/new-trailer-and-details-for-everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture/

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture continues our passion (some might say obsession) with creating immersive, story-driven experiences. It’s ostensibly a game about death but actually it’s about the way we live.

The reaction from the press and fans was AMAZING last night and we’re up for two IGN E3 awards, Best in Show and Best PS4 game. We really appreciate the support and the amazing comments – it makes all the hard work worthwhile. Thank you!

We really hope you enjoy looking at what we’ve been up to and we’re so excited to be at a stage where we can now share things with you on a more regular basis so watch this space!

Playstation exclusive though, at least for now. I liked Dear Esther for what it was, so hopefully this will come around to Steam eventually.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

How do I add DLC soundtracks to the Steam Music Player? I went into the settings and added the Payday 2 Soundtrack folder to the list, but the player still says it can't find anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Borderlands kinda took the worst parts of its two genres. FPSes are supposed to make you feel like a badass by sniping dudes and having crazy gun battles, but you end up dumping clip after clip into one mook as you kite him around a room. ARPGs are supposed to make you feel like a badass by letting you gear up and slaughter whole rooms of enemies effortlessly, but you need top-end gear just to keep fights from dragging on forever.

Enemies in Borderlands should have had half as much health, and there should have been twice as many of them. :colbert:

EDIT: VVVVVVV Borderlands isn't hard, it's tedious.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 3, 2014

• Locked thread