Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I actually really liked the story in Dungeon Siege 3. It struck me as the bare minimum that a game could have in terms of story while still calling itself an RPG. It was nice to actually have a few choices throughout the game, and then an ending that told me what those choices did! Holy poo poo!

I was kinda perplexed that Diablo 3 had zero choices throughout the entire game and you were just supposed to accept stuff like, "Reassembling this clearly evil undead necromancer dude is a good idea that will work out well for us" while he mwahahas it up in the background.

At the end of the day it was an ARPG so don't expect much of a story, but at least it actually had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I seem to recall the combat in Jade Empire being "do three-hit combo over and over with occasional switches to other three-hit combos and the occasional special move". It was kinda dull and you could break it entirely in half sometimes (EG: Hitting someone with the electric stunning combo stuns them for longer than it takes to hit them with another combo, switch back to electricity stunning mode and stun them again for infinity stunlock) but at the end of the day it's a Bioware RPG that's not Mass Effect.

I think it actually has the best combat in any non-Mass Effect Bioware RPG. (Looking at you KOTOR, Baldurs Gate etc)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Oh crap, I forgot just how thin a disguise "Open Hand" and "Closed Fist" were for a straight-up "Good vs Evil" alignment system. No no, "closed fist" choices might look evil you guys, but by feeding this guy to a demon I'm actually showing him how he should be strong and stand up for himself!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, I never had to lower my resolution to 800x600 to beat the final boss and I've never heard of that glitch before.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The correct way to do Homefront is to have turbo Kim-Jong Un come roaring out of the sun and crush the Empire State building with one blow of his massive hairdo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Sober posted:

30GB used to be a fuckton a few years ago. Hell, I even bought a disc-non-steam copy of Max Payne 3 back when it came out because gently caress waiting for 30 gigs to download.

Now 50+ GB I don't want to do. Goddamn it current gen why did you decided to catch up now?

HDD space is cheap, man. Have an SSD for your OS and monster games with the long load times and a 3 TB HDD for general use.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

I finished one run through of Long Live the Queen. And I got run through a few times. I was surprised by how short it was though once you prepare for the few difficulty gates the game has. There's essentially a few checks that will end the game if your skills fail. Overall pretty fun. Anime as hell though, not helped by the fact that I was basically dressed in a fairy outfit. It... it boosts your magic okay!

Yeah, I was also put off by the anime aesthetic of the game. Looked pretty cool otherwise.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I couldn't get into the Gothic or Risen series at all, and I'm usually a sucker for third-person RPGs. Probably didn't help that I started with Gothic 3.

Metro: Last Light is definitely worth a playthrough.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

£1.39 for The Witcher is silly-good value if you like RPGs at all.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Galactic Civilisations is a franchise I never bothered with before because there was no multiplayer. People seem to rave about Galciv 2 though - is the beta for Galciv 3 any good from a multiplayer point of view? (Or even just good at all)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Dominic White posted:

The lead combat designer at CD Projekt put a year each into massive overhaul mods for Witcher 1 & 2, mostly in response to community feedback on the combat. They're technically not official, but they're fully endorsed by the studio on the official sites.

I can fully endorse the overhaul mod for Witcher 2 - it made the combat in that game so much better. I really enjoyed the combat in Witcher 1, but I would trust that guy to have modded it well.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, I love Divinity: Original Sin but you're an idiot if you spend money on that DLC.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Apparently the correct way to play Tropico games is to pick the Rum Trader background and trade a lot of rum. This will give you infinite funds with which to pursue any other playstyle you desire.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The thing about Skyrim DLC is that I got bored of the base game long before I ran out of content for it. I have the DLCs from a Steam sale but haven't actually gotten around to playing them yet.

Where's the best place to go in Skyrim to re-light the fire?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

These Loving Eyes posted:

After a five year hiatus, I'm finally back into PC gaming. While the years with Xbox 360 were not bad at all, I don't miss the subscription fees nor the need to buy physical copies of most games.

Anyways, a couple of questions. First of all, would you guys recommend playing through both MGS2 and MGS3 before diving into Revengeance? Is there any lore or story related stuff that would fly over my head if I didn't play the games in the main series? I'm currently hunting down a copy of Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for the aforementioned 360, because I didn't get a chance to experience them when they were originally released. The original Metal Gear Solid I have played through though.

Depends on how much you care about "The Metal Gear World" as opposed to Revengeance itself. You can quite happily drop into Revengeance and be like, "OK, I'm a Japanese cyborg ninja and those guys are stealing An African President, let's go" and not really miss out on anything. They do refer to The War Economy and The Patriots maybe twice, but if you realise that these were A Bad Thing and Some Bad Guys respectively you'll be fine.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Lance Streetman posted:

There was a codec conversation near the end of MGS2 that went on for over an hour. Just an hour of static images spewing bullshit at one another.

I watched an LP of MGS2 while off sick from work. It only made me sicker.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Croccers posted:

How much game get you get out of Firefall before it starts to suck/supergrind? Also how lag-friendly is it? I need to download and play this on Australian internet. I have mates playing it at the moment but it's also an 8GB download (Which I assume needs to patch too).

I found it bad almost immediately if that helps.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Eruonen posted:

Bioshock Infinite is a great game. Maybe the story is bad, but I didn't really pay attention to it. I had no idea people cared so much about stories in video games that weren't RPGs.

If a game takes your control away to show you a story, the story should be good. If it is not good, you just made your game worse.

Bioshock Infinite regularly takes your control away to show you a bad story and has far too much combat for its small selection of enemy types. I wouldn't call it bad per se, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wasn't terribly bored.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

So, Rise of Nations - worth it for £7.50, or is it nostalgia value only? Would it be worth getting two copies for "co-op"? What even is co-op about the game?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The Borderlands games always seemed to have trouble with levels, for me. I didn't want to replay either, but in the first playthrough of both I always found myself inundated in grey quests and getting attacked by grey monsters I got nothing for killing on my way from A to B.

I have similar thoughts to Quest For Glory on the humour - I didn't think much of it and it spent a lot of the early game taking my control away to make me sit through more of it. It does get less frequent the more you play, though.

Gort fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 3, 2014

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Orv posted:

I forgot how good Sleepy Dawgs was.

What DLC is worth it? I'm only really interested in more story and not in extra weapons/cars/clothes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Tippis posted:

So… System Shock 2 then: Z6AJK-FLECF-6R7IC

Cheers, dude.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

mr. nobody posted:

That seems like that would imply that Steam is better than these other launchers in some fashion. :raise:

It might just be that Steam was first, so people tend to think, "I already have a launcher, why would I want another", but Steam also seems to be better in terms of features and breadth of content available than other launchers.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Wow I'm pretty impressed with Steamos's driver support. I got some cheap 360 wireless adapater that I can't figure out how to make function on windows 7, but steamos detected it right away.

Hell it even detected my ps3 controller, and on pc that requires some weird 3rd party software.

Though playing on wifi has terrible lag so I need a long network cable. And I also have to switch the sound to hdmi output each startup. Besides that it's pretty great, just need a steam controller and I can finally invite some friends over to co-op some pc games.

Is SteamOS still not supporting half of the graphics cards? I couldn't get mine to show anything but a blank screen on startup when I tried SteamOS a few months back.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

I'm trying to get into the Witcher again and remembered some discussion about a combat overhaul mod that was supposed to be pretty good. Is this the one, or is there something else out there?

Yeah, that's the one. I haven't played the one for Witcher 1, but the one for Witcher 2 was stellar.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Awesome! posted:

medieval 2 total war is good right? it + expansion 75% off at gmg

If you've played the later games in the Total War series you will really miss automatic unit reinforcement, and compared to Shogun 2 the AI seems dumb as bricks when it comes to things like assaulting castles. (since they actually have to use siege equipment and can't just scale any wall they want to)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Awesome! posted:

I've never played a total war game before actually

Oh, you'll have lots of fun, then. Shogun 2 is the best game in the series, however. Won't work on a bad PC though, so go hog wild.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Lord of the Black Sun: Is this one Master of Orion 2?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The Kins posted:

If you have the censored Australian version of Left 4 Dead 2, there's now a free DLC to fix that.

How does that work, legally speaking? Have the Ozzies relaxed their censorship rulings or something?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Darkrenown posted:

Huh, Gods will be watching was pretty fun until chapter 5 when it turns into unfun bullshit as you try to navigate a randomly generated desert with a time limit and instant death events and no way to tell if you were actually close to the end goal or not. After trying the level ~10 times the game is now in my "Never gonna finish" category.

Haven't played the game, but that sounds like the point where I'd search the Internet for the solution rather than abandoning the game entirely.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

ymgve posted:

"randomly generated"

Can't search for a solution then.

Hm, there might well be a method that gets you through it all the same, similar to how "follow the left wall" works in mazes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I far preferred conquering the map in Farcry 3 to Farcry 2's endlessly respawning baddies. The stories of both games were equally stupid.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Does it follow the same plot as the smash-hit movie? :allears:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Never actually bought Dragonfall as it turned out! So I went ahead and picked up the director's cut, $15 is well within my "oh gently caress waiting for a sale" line. :v:

Anything I should know going in? I remember some vague talk that deckers kinda sucked in DMS, is that still true here? Decking was always my favorite thing to do in the (vastly superior to SNES :colbert:) Genesis version of the game.

Nah, a decker's perfectly feasible. Doesn't hurt to have something to do in combat as well, though - a gun skill or some drones would be good to have alongside your decking.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

how me a frog posted:

I also never came across anything in civ that will -actively- hurt you if you build it when you really shouldn't.

Eh, there are plenty of buildings that way. Build a barracks and don't build any units from the city - you just wasted 80 hammers and 1 gold per turn for no return. You can say the same for things like stables in cities with only one animal resource - your investment will take hundreds of turns to pay off hammer-wise, and it will be costing you gold all the while. Maintenance costs mean that pretty much all buildings are this way - only the gold-producing buildings (markets and banks and so on) and the city-defense buildings (walls and arsenals and things) cost no maintenance.

You can also do things like build a road to a size-1 city that is six tiles from your capital. Not only have you wasted the time it took your workers to build it (during which time the finished road tiles will be costing you gold while providing you nothing) but the final result is a road that costs you six gold a turn and brings you back one.

A lot of it is opportunity cost, as well. So, take the road above as an example - while they built that road that does nothing but hurt you, your workers could have been improving a luxury resource for +4 happiness and a bunch of money, or some Iron so you could make your warriors into swordsmen.

I think it's generally a weakness for a strategy game to have a lot of "trap" choices - while an experienced player might be able to quickly identify the traps and avoid them, a new player will probably fall into every one of them, and crucially your AI players will as well, meaning the AI needs bigger, more unbalancing bonuses to keep up with the experienced player.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Can I assume that if I sucked rear end at Civ V (never being able to think ahead, plan tactics or strategy at all) then Endless Legend wouldn't be any easier?

I would love to teach you Civ 5. Just play at a low difficulty (Prince is good), take Tradition with your policies, and post all your questions here.

The game has tons of replayability, it's well worth persevering with and getting good at, like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

To directly answer your question, however: Civ 5 is an easier game to learn than Endless Legend.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bubz posted:

I've just played through most of Bioshock Infinite and I'm having a blast. I got bored of both Bioshock 1 and 2 about halfway through and never finished either of them.

I don't really get all the criticism it got - was it just a case of it failing to live up to overhyped expectations?

If you've only played most of it you haven't got most of the dumb parts of the plot yet.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'm actually replaying Dragon Age 1 - the lack of a voiced protagonist is horrendously jarring. If I could pull Hawke from DA2 into the game, I would.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I had just come from Neverwinter Nights 2 so this wasn't a big deal for me. Also Supreme Game Alpha One Baldur's Gate didn't have a voiced protagonist and it's the greatest game ever made, so....

I guess it's one of those things that's hard to go back to, like going back to the old fish-bowl monitors after having a flat-screen. It just sounds so stilted when only half the conversation is voiced.

Baldur's Gate has the excuse that it was mostly unvoiced, as well - characters had the occasional phrase so you got a flavour of how they talked, but you didn't get the weird "one person has a conversation with themselves spaced out with awkward pauses" that DA1 had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I prefer that than having a bunch of options that I read and then the character voices exactly what is written.

What game did that? I don't remember playing any that worked like that. I do like Mass Effect's timing stuff where you select your next dialogue choice while the NPC is speaking, so you don't get awkward breaks in the conversation.

• Locked thread