Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I'm in Mexico and was about to place a Dota bet when stuff went down. Couldn't access my inventory and now that I tried to restart the client I can't even connect to Steam.

RUH ROH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Looks like we are back in business.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Wh-what?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

I Am A Robot posted:

Are people's layouts different than mine or something?

I agree the layout for this sale isn't exactly intuitive at first but the "daily" deals are the 9 games at the top and the 11 games right below the "check out recommendations for you" box.

I guess it's the recommendation box that's confusing people. It makes it look like the 11 games below it are just random games.

The OTHER daily sales in the infinite scrolling list are a little loving annoying.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Is Shadowrun Returns worth it or completely overshadowed by Dragonfall? They are different campaigns, right?

Six bucks seems a bit steep for a genre I'm not too hot in but a dollar is a pretty good sounding deal.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I just tuned in to the one Lost Saga stream to see how the game was and it featured a guy browsing menus and shooting the poo poo with some woman that seemed to be reading a smut novel out loud in between idle conversation.

On one hand, I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. On the other, that was kind of like peeking into someone's living room.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
So I'd like to buy a city builder/trading sort of game and want to know people's opinion. Should I get dawn of discovery or anno 2070? Maybe something else?

I don't have any attachment to any time period and don't particulary care for Civ/already got Endless legend (neither of them really similar but fairly popular so I figure I'd better get those out of the way first.)

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Super Dude posted:

What's the general opinion on Running with Rifles? It looks really interesting, but I can't tell if it's worth $15.

I wrote the only negative review that hasn't been shot down by the game's psychopathic community and I'd say it's not amazing unless you are playing with buddies. I think there's a demo available and one of their community moderators posted a pretty long video with raw gameplay (as well as the game's grind and some of the issues I mention in my review.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpJCxmr8gqI

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Orv posted:

Jesus loving christ.

Deepworld is a massively-multiplayer 2D crafting adventure game. Mine and craft your way through a persistent online universe where there's always something new to discover. Battle frightening monsters, mysterious automatons, and other players in PvP!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/340810/

That's a 2012 game that was out on macs and iOS.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

MOBA or one of those flash games where you make units from your spawner until you kill the enemy's spawner?

The second one. Even if the DLC didn't clue you in, I would stay far, faaaar away.

That's another game that came out on iOS, was actually decent during the first couple months but then got ruined by immensely greedy powercreep and premium units. They basically patched in an "advanced" single player mode that could only be beaten by upgrading your units with real cash (cause otherwise they couldn't upgrade past level 20) and multiplayer was always ruled by premium units (the vast majority of them flat-out superior to anything you could get normally.)

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
So Blitzkrieg 3 is out and it half looks like a garbage facebook clash of clans game sort of thing but it also kind of looks like the old Blitzkrieg games and I'm really conflicted about whether or not to buy it please send help.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Lord Lambeth posted:

Slightly updated list! edit: updated updated further

Lone Survivor would be pretty sweet. May I?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/detrian

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Morter posted:

So as someone who's only real exposure to SRPGs is Disgaea, which I loved a lot, is Agarest a good game to get?

It's pretty mediocre as far as combat goes.

Accordion Man posted:

No, get Chroma Squad instead.

Chroma Squad has poo poo combat too so don't listen to this.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Pentaro posted:

So, are there any good SRPGs on Steam, besides X-Com? Looking for something to soothe my Tactics Ogre itch.

Silent Storm is a classic that holds up ok, although kiiind of slow for today's age.

The King's Bounty series has turn based combat mixed with a heavy dose of regular walking around doing rpg stuff.

The Banner Saga is good if kind of basic as far as combat goes.

Rime Berta looks deceptively good but it's super stripped down, same with Chroma Squad.

Blackguards looked decent but I heard the developers more or less abandoned it and left it kind of busted.

It's really quite a bummer that there's nothing like Tactics Ogre/Disgaea on PC.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Magnus Praeda posted:

Probably. Didn't that happen with Dota at one point?

War Thunder had that happen with the main executable, too.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

GhostDog posted:

RPS raised a good point about the refund policy: You can now essentially have any DRM free game (i.e. a game that can be run without the Steam client) for free. I guess they're just banking on the majority of people not being assholes and/or developers thus being encouraged to use Steam DRM?

Is that even a thing? I thought every single game had some level of Steam integration for achievements and stuff.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

Anyone have opinions about the new Humble Bundle on Slitherine games? Apparently these don't go on sale very often.

The ones that interest me in particular are the 6$ bundle with Qvadriga and Hell.

I dunno, dude. Battle academy is ok, kind of like a casual wargame (was on iOS too) but it's pretty old, even the sequel is kind of old by now, and it has a shitload of DLC that doesn't seem to be included in the bundle. I have no experience with the other games in that tier but they seem to range from awful to mediocre, even Hell seems to share an engine with Battle Academy so I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

It honestly seems like a kind of lovely bundle that's only really worthy if you go for the full 10 bucks and mostly because the games are seldom discounted, not necessarily because they are great.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

It's pretty meh. It's easy to get lost with the 2D/3D way of navigating the world, the gun loading mechanic is a bit tedious, and it's not all that entertaining. I only played 30 minutes or so, no real desire to keep at it.

Speaking of endless runners no one wants to play, I guess the developers of a couple arcadey games are suffering because of refunds and are calling it abuse.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I thought Revenge of the Titans was ok but the puppygames team are the guys behind that pretty cynical piece that calls customers worthless (because games are too cheap these days and apparently tech support costs are rough) so it's kind of hard to sympathize.

quote:

Where does this lead us to?

You are worthless to us.

Where once you were worth $20, and then you might have become a fan and bought another 4 games off of us for $20, you were worth $100. We only had to fix your computer for you once, as well, so the next four games amortised the cost of the initial support. If we were lucky you were a gamer and already had drivers and liked our stuff and bought the lot. Sometimes you’d tell your friends and maybe one of them would buy a game from us.

But now?

Now you’re worth $1 to us. If you buy every one of our games, you’re worth $5. After Valve and the tax man and the bank take their cuts, you’re not even worth half a cup of coffee. So, while we’re obsequiously polite and helpful when you do contact us for support, even if it’s just the same old “please install some actual video drivers” response, you really should be aware that you are a dead loss. Even if you buy everything we ever make again. Even if all your friends buy everything we ever make again. You just cost us money. Not just fictitious, huge-piles-of-filthy-lucre indie-game-developer who made-it-big money. All our money. We barely scratch a living, like most indie game developers. You quite literally cost us lunch because the shop sold you a computer with broken software on it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

It's not super great. It has this kind of weird budget/indie vibe to it but at least the setting is kind of fresh.

victrix posted:

Yes on La Mulana, Cave Story is mostly graphical, I think they're both pretty keen though.

No, buy Dungeonmans instead.

I thought Dungeonmans was horrid. Dredmor is better, TOME is also better.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Morter posted:

So has anyone here tried Signs of Life? It's a :10bux: Terraria-like that I'm interested in getting because it just got multiplayer (today) and it has guns and turrets and junk. I don't need multiplayer or anything super fancy, just a non-lovely combat system.

Can anyone attest to (or denounce) it?

Wasn't that a goon project? I'd go look up reviews somewhere else.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Darkhold posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I have Prison Architect last time I fired it up it was still pretty shaky so I imagine it's come a long way. I'll certainly fire it up again. Gnomoria have that as well probably another one that's been patched into a better state than when I last gave it a go but I feel like that would be more than what I'm looking for. Theme Games good suggestion didn't really think about poking around GOG for the classics.

Rimworld how playable is it right now? I vaguely remember it as some early access game?

Rimworld is close to a scam now. Development slowed down massively, the Steam release keeps getting pushed back again and again and again and the developer WILL NOT provide Steam keys for people that purchased the game on his site after october 2014 or some poo poo like that. I'd be really wary.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

havenwaters posted:

The Nvidia codes are "works everywhere but Japan." Some codes (the ones originating in Russia) are region locked to Russia but those are (I think) not nvidia codes.

It's a toss up on whether you get pre-order bonuses but in my experience you don't get them (Arkham Knight, at least one other game but I can't remember what it was since it was a year or so ago)

Nvidia promo code guys don't get Ground Zeroes but they get everything else, as will all Steam users.

http://uk-blog.konami-europe.com/2015/08/03/mgsvtpp-steam-release-date-now-sept-1st/

Incidentally, someone give me a copy of ground zeroes cause I legit got TPP with my 970 purchase.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Sober posted:

By the way, Relic Hunters Zero is out. It's a Nuclear Throne-esque style game by (I believe) the team who made Chroma Squad. It's also entirely free. Also 60 fps if you are so inclined. It usually doesn't bother me but something about NT running at 30 fps makes my eyes strain really badly when most other 30fps locked games don't.

I was in the Beta for that (read: early access) and it's ok. Seemed kind of clunky, the graphics are meh, music kind of sucks and some deaths are kind of bullshit but there's nothing absolutely terrible about it.

The big deal is that it's open source so on paper it can get a shitload of content. I guess we'll see.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

NZ is not a 'cheap' region like Russia or Brazil if that's what you mean.

Everyone can still receive gifts from people in the US and I think maybe countries that use the euro.

As for you gifting people stuff, you can check yourself. Try adding a game to your cart then use the "purchase as a gift" option. If you are trade limited, the next page will give you a red text notice about about your regional limits.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Just went through Ground Zeroes and I am now quite pumped for Phantom Pain, but uh

am I the only one who thought the new voice actor was a lot better than Hayter? :shobon:

Can't wait for hour after hour of slurred tape recordings.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

What? Wouldn't the bank look at it, figure there's obviously some sort of fraud going on and look into things a little bit beyond not at all?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
27th of August, 2015. The day the Steam Thread truly embraced the cool, australian 3D anime tittay

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anyone ever play Company of Heroes Online? That poo poo was a lot of fun. I don't usually play RTS games online but I enjoyed that quite a bit for some reason. Sad that it tanked.

I thought COH2's multi was going to be like that when it was announced. Was sadly disappointed.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The worst change from COH to COH II was how the unit dialogue went from witty and heroic/stoic to super lifeless, edgy "Ja/Da, let's burn the orphanage then roll in the ashes" bullshit.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
It was a good patch but they added content for like 4 our of 10 tiers or something weird like that. There's also another complete combat overhaul in the works. Starbound might legit be good in like a year.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Terraria-a-like Edge of Space came out of Early Access today; has anyone given this a shot?

I played it just before the latest Terraria patch hit and it's awful. Looks like poo poo, plays like poo poo, the interface is easily the worst out of all the terraria/minecraft kinda games and their biggest draw is some wacky laser-shark mascot character. The progression is a mess, the game ran poorly and it's just no good.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Snuffman posted:

Since I'm never going to play it, can someone just flat out spoil the "big life-changing twist" in Undertale?

You realize that "intentionally ugly, kooky but totally serious no for realsies" rpgs are now a genre and you die a little inside.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Since Valkyria Chronicles is on sale it's a good time to remind everyone that someone made a rebalance mod that aimed to fix most of the people's complaints about gameplay cheesiness.

http://segabits.com/blog/2015/08/16/valkyria-chronicles-fan-releases-gallian-crossfire-pc-rebalancing-mod/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=498442298

It's apparently pretty aight, although I admit to not trying it myself yet cause I put like 40 hours in the game when it came out on Steam.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Warhammer something something Vermintide entered its ridiculous 24 hours "open" beta and it turns out that it's pretty nice. Pretty much a melee oriented left 4 dead with loot drops, a shitload of rat men to kill and some nice little characterization for each of the playable characters/classes.

If you managed to snatch a beta code and like that kind of co-op game, give it a try.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Snuffman posted:

Question, I'm liking the sound of what you're describing and I'm a huge sucker for GRIMDARK WARHAM, how much like Left4Dead are we talking?

Does it have anything like the director? Do the levels change each time you play or is it the same levels over and over?

There is, yeah. I'm not exactly sure how in depth it goes but enemy placement is different every time, including that of special skaven that act quite a lot like L4D's special zombies. I did find a special item in the same place both times I played a mission but the rest was pretty different, including what might or might no have been a few paths that opened along the way (it's hard to tell since the first map is so big and labyrinthine.)

Deakul posted:

I've been liking what I'm seeing but I'm incredibly wary about the game because of the dev's nasty track record for abandoning their games and leaving them unbalanced awful messes.
Lead and Gold, War of the Roses, and War of the Vikings were all pretty much dropped within a year or two of their releases.

War of the Vikings was pretty much released as an alpha version and immediately abandoned.

Apparently that was more about Paradox Interactive loving up http://steamcommunity.com/app/234530/discussions/1/520518053450468131/

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

How is This War of Mine? Is it pretty replayable? Is there actually a win state where you outlast the war or escape the warzone?

Maybe the most important question: Is it worth the 7 bucks?

I think Games Republic and Indiegala and some other smaller stores are giving away This War of Mine with any purchase so that's a thing.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

Sellme/notsellme Vermintide. It's Fatshark so I feel angry at them for War of Roses, but its a different game where I beat rat people.

All I can find is that it's lfd with a focus on melee.

I for one liked it more than L4D. It's kind of hard to explain but L4D always felt like a grind that would slowly wear your guys down whereas Vermintide feels far more active and full of "oh poo poo" moments. I guess it's the combination of truly dangerous melee combat, rats being able to appear from a lot more places and the fact that there are no soft-resets during a mission (since there's no safe house or anything else that interrupts the action).

It does sound like it'll come out a bit thin on content though. We don't really know since the beta only included 3 out of 13 levels and the length of each varied a lot, plus there's no versus mode or survival (so it seems.) There's also supposed to be both free and paid DLC in the horizon so I guess give it a go if the price seems right.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Artelier posted:

Did anyone pick up Devil's Bluff? Looks interesting, like a tabletop inspired video game. Hidden roles aplenty!

There's 4 hours left for the sale. I'm going to give myself a few hours to think if I want to plunge into it, but I'm not sure if many peeps my side of the world play it...trying to find out if there's a decent community in South East Asia, or if it's a game where latency doesn't matter too much (I imagine it does though, with real time proximity voice chat)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/382350/?snr=1_4_4__tab-PopularNewReleases

I was in the beta, got a free copy out of it, and I'd say you should save your money. There's 50 people playing (just checked) and the game launched lacking some incredibly basic functions like a push to talk button or any way to ensure matches don't immediately end if the Devil disconnects/leaves/whatever.

They sure got in indept twitch integration though! From the beginning it made me feel like the game was meant to be youtuber/streamer bait rather than something people would actually like to play.

Fake edit: Wow they want 10 bucks for it? Yeah, no. Maybe 5 bucks and a couple patches later but avoid until then.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Ekster posted:

Who is Dominic White again and why should I care?

Immaculate paladin and irreproachable champion of our most virtuous serene Lady of Indie Gaming; out across the internet pampas on blameless steed pure as driven snow, word rightful and ever right.

• Locked thread