Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Powershift posted:

New Ubisoft games seem to be the only thing that got more expensive. Pretty much everything else got cheaper.

But they didn't, really. As you said earlier, in many cases it's simply the US price with the exchange rate tacked on, but that makes games more expensive compared to traditional canadian pricing. In almost all cases, retail and online, if a game costs $59.99 in the US, it was $59.99 canadian as well. So in essence we were actually getting a bit of a deal on game prices since exchange was never factored in before.

Not that I expect many/any canadian gamers to start buying from retail stores again, but in almost all cases this was a net rise in price, even if it was just price plus exchange. I won't even factor in the AAA game price jumps, since those are just fat-cat publishers trying nickel and dime wherever they can. This will simply drive more gamers to seek out deals from Greenman and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Male Man posted:

At a guess, 512MB video RAM and 3GB system RAM.

I'd say you want 3GB+ of all types of ram, as the game runs on Unity, so it can bring even the most powerful PC to its knees.

Also, the game is kind of crap. It's about the most lifeless golf game ever made.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Xaris posted:

I see Endless Legend is getting some pretty good ratings and people seem to say its fun. But what makes it better than Endless Space? Is just the setting better? I do love fantasy (Warcraft 3 was my favorite craft, Anno 1404 > 2070, etc). I didn't care too much for ES, mostly it just felt a bit rigid and stale. Would I even like EL at all?

While I haven't played it myself, you may want to check out the EL thread here on the forums. Sounds like a lot of people like it, but it has some serious caveats you'd have to overlook to really enjoy it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: interestingly, I read a while ago that that movie got flak when it came out for the Harkonnens supposedly being symbols of the hedonistic gay lifestyle where they murder young boy-slaves and bathe in their blood.

It's Harvey Milk all over again.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Palpek posted:

This sounds dumb as hell. Yes, let's remove the challenge from this hard but fair game and focus on the non-existing plot instead.

It's probably for people who just want to wreck shop without having to worry about dying. Story (or lack thereof) would be secondary.

So it turns it into Diablo 3.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

victrix posted:

Is there any way to modify the 'hours played' on games? Or remove them from that list?

I don't know why, but it bugs the poo poo out of me that Starbound is my #2 most played game, despite having played it for maybe five hours total - I left the server running and that apparently counted as time played.

I wouldn't want people to think my playtime is actually an endorsement of that game :v:

Sir, if you're done with the thread for the evening, your autist chariot is waiting.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

al-azad posted:

.... I guarantee you 10 years from now people will be like "Oh yeah, Kentucky Route Zero that was a huge influence."

Please don't place any money on this bet.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
"You are attempting to grapple onto something over 100m away. Would you like to upgrade your Grapple Length for 100-CosbyCoins?"
"UGHHHH!! This is so loving dumb."
*clicks Okay*

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I wasn't bowled over by the nemesis system in Morder, until they bring back your ultimate nemesis at the end of the game. Mine was this orc that basically had every skill for not being damaged by all attack types, being able to block everything, blocking jumps, toughness, superior fighting skills, AND he was a shield guy. He had killed me at least a dozen times in the game because he was virtually unkillable. Seeing him show up at the end of the game was a such cool way for the game to twist the knife a little. I spent that fight branding all his followers and then spamming wraith specials since it was the only way to take him down.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tezzeract posted:

Shadows of Mordor is on sale at G2A for $22.52. There's also a cheap Borderlands Presequel Season Pass. The site is legit, though it tries superhard to be shady (like paying for key seller insurance whaaa?)

https://www.g2a.com/

As soon as I tried G2A once to see if it was legit, I started getting endless email from spammers and my credit-card number was stolen and used to buy thousands of dollars of stuff on Steam.

Maybe a coincidence, but I doubt it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It was a pretty great game at full price. For $5 it's a no brainer.

Lego games fall into the niche of stuff like Diablo 3, or an MMO. You can turn that on and mindlessly bash away at poo poo while doing something else at the same time.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'd say Lego Batman 2 and Lego Marvel are the two top open-world style Lego games. Each has it's pros and cons. Lego Marvel has a larger world and more heros. Lego Batman 2 lets you play as Superman, complete with John Williams Superman score every time you fly, plus Batman being a doofy idiot.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The MSJ posted:

Nerds are probably complaining about Ben Foster playing Medivh in the Warcraft movie right now. Nobody better not like Clancy Brown as Blackhand, though.

For whatever reason I thought this was going to be a CGI animated film, so it didn't really matter who did the voices. Now that I've found out it's live-action, that movie is just going to be Dungeons and Dragons Part 2, isn't it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sheik90 posted:

I can confirm this works for the time being, not sure how long till they are going to fix it though so better take advantage of it.

Why bother? They are more than likely going to fix it, and Valve will retroactively remove a game from your library and pop up a message basically saying "This game has been removed, it's your problem now to deal with getting your money back."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Get Insurgency. 3 copies for 3 fancy lads.

https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=UZUdCYwfBtxeX8Wp

Edit: And a copy of Grid 2!

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=ncZWfDvdnBGBMX4C

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 12, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
So what's the deal with Valkyria Chronicles. Is the actual gameplay and tactical strategy stuff good enough to overlook the corny jrpg anime crap?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Phetz posted:

The new guy could be bad.

Pretty much. I mean, whoever it is, they chose to write for games, and not absolutely anything else that might have a shred of respect, dignity, style, quality, or effort attached to it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

HogX posted:

I'm watching that behind the scenes of lego batman 3...and it seems kind of awesome. I've never played a lego game before, are they even any fun for adults?

They're pretty drat good.

Blowing poo poo up into a million little lego bits is like crack for the lizard brain.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pirate Jet posted:

It's an immature temper tantrum made for a sheltered audience of gamer manbabies who have never watched the news.

Guys, guys, quiet down. This guy watches the news.

Our gaming Oprah has arrived, and will lets us know what to play and eat and read and watch.

*sits fervently*

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I the voice actor for the Joker doing an impression of Caesar Romeros best "oooohhhhHHHHHH-HOOOO-HOO-HOOOO-HOOOO-HOOO!!!!"?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's pretty much guaranteed. Steams biggest sales are their Summer and Winter sales.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think it's probably the environments, really. You're comparing GTA V, probably the best realized open world cityscape ever, and SR4, probably the worst realized open-world cityscape ever.

Seriously, the city in SR4 is so god-damned bad. It's not even a city, it's a flat plane with cubes dumped in, and building texture maps slapped on.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Drifter posted:

What makes GTA5 so good at a city level? I've never been impressed, even playing sleepy dogs - city and social behaviors just seem so canned.

GTA5 has that unique quality where it feels like a real city, a real place. It doesn't feel contrived and "just good enough" to pass as a city. The GTA games have been pretty good at this anyways, but it's tough for most other open-world games to seem real.

I think it stands out that much more in Saint's Row because the first two games had much better cities than 3 or 4. Generally you'd expect a dev to get better at world creation rather than taking a huge step back.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maybe a goon has an extra Blackguards key to give away. I believe it was just in a Humble Bundle, so somebody probably picked it up on the cheap and hasn't redeemed the key yet.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chamale posted:

Portal is updating itself on Steam. Why is there a new patch for a 7-year-old single-player game?

The same reason as the other hundred times someone asked a similar question: It's a Source game, and any time Valve makes a change to Source, every single Source game updates.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Princey posted:

What shrinks in the morning and grows in the afternoon?

Number of thoughts about suicide.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Wait, what?

SON OF A BITCH.

Here, have some Gary Coleman from a happier time in his life. Dude loved his trains.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You know who else builds crazy train sets? Rod loving Stewart.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ekster posted:

Is there any way of taking advantage of the collapsing Ruble when it comes to Steam games? I'd like to invest in the Russian economy to help out Putin.

Invest when glorious game sale occur, for Mother Steamia!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Ground Zeroes, especially on the PC, is cool just for the fact that you get a bit of game, but the devs get big head start at working out any issues and bugs for the Phantom Pain release. Although GZ runs pretty drat good to begin with, so PP should hopefully be near flawless (technically, at least).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kragger99 posted:

Got to try a bit of I Am Bread. Imagine Octodad but:
1. you have a timer on how long you can grip things, and you have to rest to reset it = this makes climbing the cupboards after falling onto the floor (see below) quite the chore.
2. you have an edibility meter where if you touch the floor/anything dirty, you lose %, and lose points should you finish a level (I gave up after swearing too much to see if this was the case).
Combine those 2 and it's hella hard.

So far it's been too much frustration. With the grip timer, it adds a higher level of difficulty that takes away from the funny Octodad and Surgeon Sim had.
I'll give it another go, but man it's tough.

Keep with it and you'll find a rhythm. You can get to a point where you're making tarzan vine-swinging style moves across the walls, and flinging yourself halfway across the levels. At that point it just becomes a fuckaround simulator and you can dick around seeing how many ways you can get yourself toasted.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yes. The big improvement is that enemy bases (i.e. save points) don't repopulate on their own, but you have a manual "repopulate all the bases" button if you want it.

That's Far Cry 4. Once the bases are conquered in 3, they stay empty for the rest of the game.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

John Murdoch posted:

They patched that into FarCry 3 after launch.

Well drat, color me surprised.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Karate Bastard posted:

Oh SNAP!. You take that back boy.

I loooooove Vaas. And I love what they do with the story, beside Vaas. Imho, it's a lot about the character development, very reminiscent of SpecOps: The line. There's an LP of it that I'd almost recommend, but I feel the LPers didn't get it at all, but just took it at face value. This has more than the face value

You might be the only person who I've heard liking the story of FC3.

I mean, most people aren't even mediocre on it, most find it absolutely terrible.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just check the Steam sale a bit before I head to my parents place. Oh hey, a little christmas gift!

Really, Steam? Really?!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Major Isoor posted:

So, how's Starpoint Gemini 2? Is it like Freelancer, or the X series? Or is it like those more RTS-ish space games that are on Steam? (Sorry, can't think of their names at the moment, but well, more of a 'top-down + control multiple ships primarily via mouse' sort of thing, I mean) Since I certainly wouldn't mind a good Freelancer-/X-like space sim at the moment, although if it's not like either of those, I might pass.

So yeah, thanks for any information that you guys can provide!

I was curious about SG2 as well, but two people over in the sale thread said it's not really worth it. Sort of a single player MMO, with all the grinding and boring quests inherent.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

sauer kraut posted:

Last time I checked you build a city in Banished, but maybe patch 1.04 turned it into something completely different like a puzzle platformer I dunno.

e, I can not recommend Anno 1404 and that Scifi one. Buggy messes that never got fixed, Tages DRM and 3 machine activation bullshit.

They aren't buggy at all and Tages was removed long ago.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I would just buy an official 360 pad as a replacement. It's cheaper, and I personally don't really like the XBone pad. It's feels cheap, and the weird way they built the grips onto the controller can make them a little flimsy and creaky.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Downs Duck posted:

Ugh, I somehow managed to mess up / not let my LastPass replace the old password with the new one, so now I can only log in via the client.

Steam Support, here I come.

If you don't assign that new password to your Steam entry in Lastpass, wouldn't it create a generic "Generated Password for....." entry that you could grab it from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Was there ever a post-mortem on Dead Island? I'm curious to know how much time they spent creating the first zone, versus the rest of the game. The first area is one of the best zombie games ever made. The rest of the game is hot garbage.

• Locked thread