Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

LibbyM posted:

I actually enjoyed playing the original dead island for acts 1,3, and 4. I didn't think it was amazing or anything, but I had an alright time smashing zombies with friends.
Act 2 however was one of the most boring experiences I've had in a game in a long time.

For people who played both dead islands, how much of Riptide feels like act 2 of the original?

It's quite similar to the first one, but instead of beach resort, it's more swamp area. There's still some urban environments though. A few new monsters, and weapons (I think?).
I enjoyed the first game (not so much the 4th chapter), and still prefer it over Riptide, which sort of felt like a step backwards in a way to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Drunk Tomato posted:

Of course not, but I'm more taking about the amount of 1/10 reviews and angry vitriol for media just because it doesn't live up the reviewers expectations. You shouldn't base your entire opinion of something on word of mouth or your own imagination. That's just dumb consumption.

Yeah, I'm with RageQuit in liking the new Thief. I also feel bad that many people won't even get to try it out because so many goons hate on it so bad. It's actually pretty decent. If you're played it, and think it's poo poo, fine. It's all the other goons that went into watching a video/review of it already thinking it was poo poo, and were just looking for the smallest things to justify their already made impression.
I still predict when it hits $5 in a sale (should be that in about 25 min in following with Squeenix's price model), a bunch of goons will buy it for a laugh, and be surprised that it's decent, and worth more than that.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Not sure if this was available for purchase before, but Mount Your Friends is out now.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/296470/

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Awesome! posted:

You'd like that wouldn't you

You're not a man until you've become a king (or eat a pork bun).

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Not sure if this is new, but looks like Bundlestars has Red Faction 1, and Red Faction 2 on for $1 each.
Also has the full Red Faction collection on for $5.99.
Red Faction Guerrilla, and Armageddon are on for $1.99 each.

http://www.bundlestars.com/

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

Beat Octodad last night as well as Metal Gear Rising.

Octodad: Great game, and my kids really enjoyed the ride. I'll try to find every tie now and get some of the additional achievements, as my kids (and even wife) laugh at my bumbling around. Solid game all around, but I cannot imagine playing it without a controller. Holy moly.

Metal Gear Rising: I am dumb as poo poo for waiting this long to finish this game. I've even have had it since release! I originally only played through half of mission 3 or so before getting distracted. I would say that the final boss battle was incredible, but every Goddamn boss battle is incredible. They really did a fantastic job on all accounts, especially the music. That music gets me pumped as hell when the vocals kick in. I am going to keep playing this game to try and get S on every mission, although I can immediately think of a few areas where that is going to be very tough. I may have to abuse the checkpoint restart feature so I don't have to keep replaying entire levels. This is also the only game that made me feel like a badass every time a QTE came up. I was seriously stoked to see a QTE because I knew some crazy poo poo was about to go down. Everyone owes it to themselves to play this game.

Nice work! I finished Octodad with K/M, but it was a chore.

I've been working on my backlog as well:

Watch_Dogs - beat it last night (thanks for the gift Fart!). 9/10. Took me 41 hours, but I did A LOT of side quests. When I was done, I wanted more, so that tells me it's a great game in my books. The environmental manipulation with the cell phone was really unique to me, and really made the gameplay fun. Heard future DLC will be a new city, so I'm definitely in for that. I have it up there with Sleeping Dogs, the main difference gameplay-wise is Sleeping Dogs has the awesome melee combat, and Watch_Dogs has the basic stealth with environmental manipulation. I've never seen proximity mines used better in a game, and those along with the pump-action grenade launcher were my go to weapons. Some people hated the storyline, and the main character was not that interesting, but the gameplay was so good that it didn't bother me.

Wolfenstein: New Order - beat it on Monday (thanks for the gift Manac0r!). 8/10. The shooting in the game was excellent. Probably some of the best I've played in years. Also liked the basic stealth gameplay until the later levels when it was useless, and it was just a shooting gallery where I was the target. This part really turned me off, and it felt like a slog trying to finish off the game. LOVED the first half, and got soured with the second half. I'd still recommend it to any FPS fans though, as it's some of the best ever.

Wolf Among Us - beat it in July (Thanks for the gift Fart!). 8.5/10. Like most others, LOVED the first episode. I played it when it first came out. Then waited for the rest of the episodes to come out before tackling the rest. I felt the rest of the episodes made me like it a little less each time, and did not like the ending at all. Still prefer it over Walking Dead, and would recommend it to anyone slightly interested. I went in not knowing anything about the Fables series, but really liked the world/setting. I can see how it makes people interested in reading the comics.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 7, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

I also finished Sniper Elite V2 the other day. Decent game with fun kill cams, but boy was I annoyed with the eagle vision every enemy seemed to have. Head sticking out of cover from 600 meters away? Every enemy can see you! It requires you to stealth as much as possible on harder difficulties, but that isn't always possible when there aren't loud noises (bombs/lightning/etc.) to cover the shot of your rifle. Are the additonal level DLCs fun at all? I might pick them up the next time it's on sale.
Sniper elite V3 fixes most of those issues.
It's by far the best sniper game I've ever played.
They revamped the stealth system with a decent cool down timer/last seen spot that makes a world of difference.
If you're spotted, a silouette of you is shown, and the enemies focus on that spot. You can move to different cover (seems to be plenty on all levels), and they won't know unless you're wide open/seen. The levels feel much more open as well, which was a problem in the first game.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I feel stupid for having to ask this, but when you guys are using different skins for Steam, is that in the beta?
I just engaged the beta, and only see the default skin option.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

The Joe Man posted:

Sidenote: I did the majority of voicework and convinced them to let me sneak in a Macho Man Randy Savage voice:

Sold.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Kool - the sequel to Lara Croft: Guardian of Light is up now:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/289690/

They have a 4 pack option as well.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Drifter posted:

I just watched a 5 minute video of a press forward map in Trackmania 2 Canyons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-gM0duBAdg

It impresses the gently caress out of me that people design poo poo like this. It's so amazing.

I watched the entire thing, it's loving awesome.

I'd never want to play that, but it's beyond impressive.

VVV I could be wrong, but I think there was some steering in that too. Almost looked like drifting, but might have been hard turns. VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 11, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

It's decent fun, but you HAVE to learn how to drift in that game, and it's a bit tough at first.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

SynthOrange posted:

I think I've reached a point beyond worrying about backlogs and just accepting that there are games that I've bought that I will never play.

And I will probably end up buying more to add to that list.

They way I deal with it is:
Because games can be so cheap on the PC, I'm buying into a library that gives me the opportunity to play a large range of games. You have to accept that because it's so easy to get so many games for cheap, there's just not enough time to complete them all.
The post above about creating a bundle fodder category is good idea. It makes the "good" list much more bearable to look at.

If that still isn't helping, then set a schedule to try at least 1 or 2 games from your library a week (or use the great suggestion above about playing long enough for card drops). If you enjoy what you play, keep at it. If you don't, at least you gave it a try, and move on.
But be careful if it starts to seem like work. This should be something that provides enjoyment, and escapism. If it feels like work, then maybe change your approach.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 12, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

Has anyone played GhostControl Inc.? It looks like a Ghostbusters game in an XCOM style.

But is it any good?

That's a good description - Ghostbusters game with XCOM style combat (maybe not as much cover mechanic though). There's some team and home base management, and equipment research/upgrade elements as well.
I had quite a bit of fun with it.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 12, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Don't want to get all console-warrior up in here, but if the PS4 is outselling the Xbone (I think it is?), MS needs to do something to help increase sales.
Exclusivity is an option, and if a few exclusive games help boost sales by 5% - 25%, that's beneficial.
With a new Uncharted planned to come out for PS4, MS needs to compete with something.
That's my business analyst coming out. Remember some of these companies don't do this stuff for the consumer, they do it for the stakeholders. I don't really agree with the above, but understand how a company can get to that decision.

With that out of the way, gently caress dat. Wasn't the latest one sort of a success, yet the publisher saw it as a failure due to their unrealistic sales expectations? Or am I thinking of a different game?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Is there a way to get rid of all my $0.03 backgrounds/emotes? I've added trashbot, but it's always offline now. Is there another one?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Kragger99 posted:

Is there a way to get rid of all my $0.03 backgrounds/emotes? I've added trashbot, but it's always offline now. Is there another one?

EDIT: Figured it out. Looks like it was Trashbot(2).

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
New BundleStars bundle:

$4.99

Murder Miners 4 Pack
Guacamelee Gold
Puddle
Wooden SenSey
Super Lemonade Factory
Space Farmers 2 Pack
Terrorhedron
Kill Fun Yeah
Project Root
Spy Chameleon

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/titanium-bundle/

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Justin_Brett posted:

So many people voted for Five Nights at Freddy's on Greenlight they just put it on the store now. :allears:

drat, I wish I could watch Roofus play this one.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Just saw that Vector Thrust hit the store today:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/242130/

Described as a highly customizable/flexible fast-paced action-arcade combat flight simulator. Seems like it'll have battles against massive flying fortresses (ala Ace Combat?), so that really piques my interest.
Might take the plunge, and post some impressions. It's Early Access, so I'd assume there's not much content yet.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Kragger99 posted:

Just saw that Vector Thrust hit the store today:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/242130/

Described as a highly customizable/flexible fast-paced action-arcade combat flight simulator. Seems like it'll have battles against massive flying fortresses (ala Ace Combat?), so that really piques my interest.
Might take the plunge, and post some impressions. It's Early Access, so I'd assume there's not much content yet.

Impressions: First - the menu options seem really sluggish with my gamepad. Not sure if there's an issue there.

Played a few missions - first 2 were against AI, and were decent. The controls felt a tad sluggish compared to Ace Combat and JASF. Also the turning felt much slower even when using the air brake, so tracking was a bit tough. One mission was at dusk, and the sky was filled with stars. Looked really neat. Liking the cell-shading too. Then I tried a custom one against a massive bomber I had to take down before it left the air space of the mission. Then the game crashed.

Yup - Early Access, but the playable part is decent so far. Either I need to get a better understanding of the controls, or they need to make some tweaks.

EDIT - gave another try on the fortress mission. Failed it 5 times in a row. My jet has no chaff/flares, thus the fortresses constant firing at me is quite difficult to avoid. Also the controller is constantly drifting all over (like in the menus). So either my controller is bad (doubt it, as I've been playing pool and pinball lately, which require precise controls), or there's something wrong with the input settings. Lastly when I tried to quit the game, I got a big runtime error that I needed to go into the system manager to close.

The game has quite a bit of potential, but it's frustrating to me right now.
Will keep an eye on how it progresses.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 22, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

stiknork posted:

For what it's worth, we're looking at dropping an easier difficulty into Invisible, Inc in the next couple weeks, so the people in here that were saying it's too hard -- I'd love to hear your impressions on that when it comes out.

I finally got to try it out last night. Wasn't really aware there was a timed alarm mechanic. That definitely adds another layer to a stealth game, but I tend to suck at timed games, and never have any enjoyment out of them. I find timed games sort of force your hand on how to play. Will the lesser difficulty just be more length on the timer?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Tezzeract posted:

Also, is there something about Payday 2 that I'm missing. The game feels like a major step back from the amazing Payday 1. It went from an inspired L4D game with great levels to COD horde mode.

I'm right there with you. Just didn't enjoy it. Couldn't put my finger on what it was, but your description seems apt.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Been working on my backlog the past few weeks, and got to play Brothers - a Tale of Two Sons last night (Thanks Dementropy!). This is the game where you control 2 brothers (most times simultaneously) each with one of the thumbsticks on the controller. It's a puzzle/platrformer.
While I often get confused which one I'm controlling (I think the secret to to keep the left thumbstick brother on the left side of the screen, and right on the right) the game is all sorts of charming, and the puzzles are fun, but not challenging - don't expect a difficult game here. I also think it's quite short (3-5 hours), and an easy one to 100%. If you have it in your backlog, I'd urge you to give it a try, and see if it sticks. There's also 2 Playfire cheeves that you can get in about an hour.

Also finished Stick it to the Man on the weekend (Thanks Lock!). This one had an interesting mechanic where you can read minds, and manipulate the environment with an alien arm growing out of your head. There was a bit too much dialogue in this game for me, and sometimes when I was trying to grab something, it'd grab the wrong thing, creating frustration, but in the end, I enjoyed it overall, and read most of the dialogue the last half. I think it's It feels like a Doublefine game, so it's got that humor aspect, charm, and weirdness.

VVV - I admire your tackling of your backlog good sir, and thanks for the note about not being Doublefine :) VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 26, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Lance Streetman posted:

Jazzpunk is one of the funniest, weirdest, and most surreal games I've ever played, and it alone is worth 13 bucks.

Agreed. It was so unlike anything I've ever played, and I really enjoyed the weird humor.

New flash bundle - Humble Flash Bundle - PAX10

https://www.humblebundle.com/flash?...fe9418-93500641

Badland Premuim (Android?)
Solar 2
Containment: Zombie Puzzler
Jamestown Deluxe

Pay more than (at $3.24 right now):
The Swapper
FEZ

Pay more than $15:
Life Goes On
Cannon Brawl - EA

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 28, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
For as much as I loved Borderlands 2, the complaints in this thread seem bang on. I didn't mod the drop rates, or running speed, but probably should have. Also, most of the good weapons I got from shift codes and golden keys, which is stupid, as it's real world poo poo, and kind of a pain in the rear end to do so. I started on new game +, and it felt like more of a grind. Also tried some raid bosses and realized if either need significant co-op help, or grind for way better weapons to even have a shot. With all that complaining out of the way, I still really enjoyed the game, and am looking forward to the expansion/next/pre-sequel it whatever they are calling it.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm really enjoying Dead Rising 3. Don't feel the constant pressure of having to do this now, but no, I have to do this instead, and while I start doing that 5 more things pop up that I feel I need to do. DR3 is allowing me to go collect the blueprints, and other collectibles while still saving survivors, and also doing story missions. I generally hate timed games and I'm an analyst, so I'm always over-thinking about the best approach, thus wasting time.
The only thing I'm disliking with DR3 is having to go back and forth across the map through massive mobs of zombies so much. Yes the custom vehicles help, but some sort of fast travel (maybe unlocked by completing challenges) would have been nice.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Lance Streetman posted:

I just don't think it sounds like fun, and none of the arguments I've heard have done anything to change my mind. I don't like long-term timers in games because I like taking things at my own pace and not having to worry about taking too much time screwing around.

I totally agree with you. Some people like the timers as the sandbox mode just gets boring too fast. Not every gamer likes every game type. I personally found the timers and multiple competing survivor saving missions too stressful, and with zombies in the way just felt too restrictive, but others feel that's what makes the game unique. Yes, I know you can ignore the timer and play around instead, but I feel like your not playing the game as it's meant to be played, and don't like that feeling. I found one I like now, so alls good.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Guessing midweek madness, or free weekend. Regardless, it's one of the best sniper games I've played. There's a decent stealth mechanic that improves on the previous game's issues.

VVV You and I like the same games, so I'm confident you'll like this one. Also MULTIPLAYER! VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 15, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Hmmm. Looks like my Paypal login also doesn't work. Wonder if they reset a bunch of peoples profiles or something.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Crappy Jack posted:

Whoops, my bad, I had another tab open to the Shadows of Mordor thread and got the two confused. Sorry for being a dick. Game isn't bad, just repetitive, it's got that Dragon Age 2 thing where combat encounters are just enemies climbing over walls in waves until you murder them all. Get some buds to play through and it becomes more entertaining, but playing it single player will just slowly sap your will to live until you become a miserable husk of a man living in a cave asking riddles of strangers.

Speaking of, is there much info about Shadows of Mordor yet? I haven't heard much in this thread (my go to thread for PC gaming) about it, so I'm assuming it's sounding unimpressive at best.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
So, the same goon that challenged me to become a Bad Rats King waaaaay back when (I completed that challenge) has issued me another challenge via a "gift". I'm to print off, color, and then post these in this thread: http://store.steampowered.com/app/321420/
Should be fun.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Orv posted:

For those of you wondering, Caribbean! is Mount and Blade with pirates. It's also bad.

This - I gave it a try a few months ago thinking that sounded great, and it wasn't. Can't remember what was bad, but it was hard, and a bit confusing. Should give it another try again as it might be better now (still in development?).

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

Just played an hour of gauntlet with Kragger. Had a great time. We really only tried two classes, but it's apparent each has strengths and weaknesses. He could really clear out large groups of weaker enemies with shield throw, where my warrior whirlwind was more for damage at a close range. Especially cleave - I was able to take out monster summon shrines in a hurry with that.

I really look forward to getting more relics, as the two I have picked up have been very useful so far. You can have two relics equipped at a time, but they apparently share a cooldown which is a bummer.

A+ would destroy food again.

Yeah, was super fun. Sort of wish the gold was split in co-op (I think it's not according to the stats at the end of each level), but the gameplay is excellent. Also wish it had voice chat.

Tezzeract posted:

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/cannon-brawl-borderlands-the-pre-sequel-fenix-rage/2300-6421470/

Borderlands Presequel - check out gameplay around 46 mins in. The devs commented on how they find the gravity jumps to be great and allows the game to break out of BL2's cover shooting mechanics and be more up close and personal.

Apparently the scaling should be more BL1 style for the increased difficulties, so I'm kinda pumped.

Oh yeah and apparently all the people on the Moon are space Australians.

Looking forward to it as well. Pretty sure we played some Co-op in BL2, so we can hook up on this one as well.
I'll probably not notice the Aussie accents with my wife being Aussie.

EDIT VVV Maybe the score for gold collected varies, but it's split for the vendor guy. Either way, can see lots of hours in this one. VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 24, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Palpek posted:

Ok guys I'm probably going to eat those words but I've been watching some Alien: Isolation gameplay videos and it...actually looks pretty sweet. There are whole sections with absolutely no Alien or enemies at the beginning where you only explore the environments while the tension slowly rises. The combat against people/androids will most likely suck but the rest might be a really solid, gorgeous and atmospheric game, the dynamic lighting and environments are very nice.

It seems it might be a better title than expected. It also releases in 2 days so we'll find out soon enough but I'm way more optimistic than after seeing the demo level.

Paging Rufus to play it, with the steaming of his reactions...

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Crappy Jack posted:

Nah, imagine an AC game where they reduce the plot down to 20 missions that are basically tutorial missions, and then spend the rest of the time focusing on really indepth and reactive assassinations. You build up actual relationships with your targets, they remember you and taunt you, you build up a secret army, all sorts of poo poo that is WAY more fun than a scripted mission where you climb a tower and then stab them. It's way more sandboxy than any AC game, although the basic blocks are all still there.

I think future games in the similar vein (open world/sandbox) will feel empty without the Nemesis system. I think it's a huge ground-breaking feature in gaming. Almost as important as what GTA 3 did from GTA2. It's only potential drawback is if it starts to repeat. I'm only 4 hours in, but from what I've heard, it's pretty extensive. I think the new Batman game is supposed to have it, so I'm super psyched for it.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Drifter posted:

The way everyone talks up that Nemesis system seems like everyone is deluding themselves. God drat, if it's as neat as you all say I'm gonna be excited to check it out.

I honestly can't help but think it's not, especially considering how indiefag people get about games sometimes. I remember people talking about how 'deep' Skyrim and the like was and poo poo.

I'm about 80% excited though.

Based on your track record, I'm pretty sure you'll be disappointed :P

Maybe I'm easy to impress, but when an enemy I've battled before comes back at me, using voice acted dialog that's specific to what happened and showing graphical evidence of that on his face/body, I'm super impressed, and find it very revolutionary.

Edit - or read Dominic's post a few above mine :)

Edit #2 VVV Or that VVV :)

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 3, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Kragger99 posted:

So, the same goon that challenged me to become a Bad Rats King waaaaay back when (I completed that challenge) has issued me another challenge via a "gift". I'm to print off, color, and then post these in this thread: http://store.steampowered.com/app/321420/
Should be fun.

Maybe I should stick to gifting...

Time to go kill some Orcs.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Hemish posted:

Yeah... Ubisoft being a French Canadian company too. Way to go guys.

If this stays like this and follows the real conversion, I'll be happy. I'm afraid they'll implement taxes, though. Which is brutal in Quebec and the reason I adopted Steam before if was this big.

Good thing you have a cool Albertan buddie who doesn't get taxed. Yeah, we may be pissing off Leo DiCaprio, James Cameron, and Neil Young with the horrible pollution of the oil sands, but think of all that non-taxed sweet sweet gaming...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

37th Chamber posted:

They don't seem to be taxing anyone in Canada right now, live in Ontario and have an Ontario credit card, charged $0.00 tax.

not yet... (and hopefully never). Do different States get taxed different amounts in the US?

• Locked thread