Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astral
Apr 26, 2004

razorrozar posted:

They do that in DnD with politics threads. Maybe it is a good idea.

I'm not sure that would fit as well for the Steam thread. For example, it's much easier to search one or two big threads for impressions/comments/complaints about a Steam game that may not have its own Games thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Drifter posted:

I really doubt anyone searches the thread back more than a few pages, tops.

I'm talking about the forum search where you can punch in search terms and the thread ID to search the entire thread for something (or, with some form of SALR, the handy in-thread box). I can't speak for other people, but I've often punched in the name of a game I've never heard of or only vaguely remember being mentioned to look back on what people said about it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Drifter posted:

^^^ - The search works? Well call me Sally.

Yeah, although it looks like there are still some problems with the index not updating. Anything before May of this year seems to be indexed fine, though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Metro: Last Light Redux is currently on sale on Amazon for $6.24. Pricing error, maybe?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KN7B41E/

astral
Apr 26, 2004

lechunnel posted:

Looking for a game recommendation. I'm sick and couch-bound, need some sort of vaguely Gauntlet-style game that supports controller and hopefully involves blowing up lots of baddies, in return for loot/XP.

I say 'Gauntlet-style' because I'm also including things like Sacred Citadel, Castle Crashers, Borderlands (all of which I'm done with), and so on. Single-player only is fine, but a buddy of mine is keen on the actual Gauntlet game coming out soon, so anything multi would also be appreciated.

Seconding Hammerwatch.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

kater posted:

That's okay, Steam doesn't remember either.

Mine isn't that bad yet; it only has one anime curator showing there.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Kingdoms of Amalur was always pretty polarizing. I liked it overall (I enjoyed the combat + easy respeccing to try an entirely different combat style, and I think I tried to avoid the stupid fetch quests), but the flaw that really annoyed me was how they implemented level scaling.

Each zone had a certain associated level range. The first time you entered a zone, it locked the zone's level to the level in that range closest to your current level, and then never changed it. So, if you like to explore, you would have to be careful not to enter the next areas of the game too early or else it would become way too easy and unrewarding when the main questline finally brings you there. Not a big deal if you aren't planning on doing sidequests or exploring (though I would echo the recommendation to do the various faction or guild or whatever they are called quests, those were pretty great - especially the House of Ballads ones in the forest).

You could also make game-breakingly powerful weapons with the crafting system. I leave it to the reader to decide whether this is a positive or negative.

If you're on the fence about buying Amalur, I encourage you to try the demo and use that to decide whether or not you should buy it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thingyman posted:

my 360 controller finally took a poo poo on me. what is a good replacement controller? i've heard a lot of people like the ds4 more than the xbone controller, but i dealt with the motionjoy drivers with the ds3 and that was total garbage. are there any alternative controllers that are good for someone that is OCD about controller quality?

If you still have the DS3 and would use it if you could get better drivers, try the Scarlet Crush drivers for that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Morter posted:

Because my controller is dying, I have the impulse to head to a gamestop/best buy and get an XBone controller. Do they work good right out of the box? Or should I go cheap and look for another controller? The last two I had were x360 Afterglow controllers which are nice but I have an issue with their precision sometimes.

I recently bought one and have been pretty happy with it. My last controller was a Dualshock 3, so the bumpers having to be, well, bumped was a bit new to me. The one really annoying thing is that the xbox button stays lit constantly while it's plugged-in. I've been very happy with the quality of the dpad/sticks/buttons, though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Don't underestimate the strength of the sunk cost fallacy, either.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Morter posted:

Yeah I do have the expansion, the thing is other than dicking around with adventure quests, I'm not sure what to do about the endgame. I find most of the fun in these games actually leveling for new skills and junk. I've never endgame-grinded any game for super DUPER loot that has it (Borderlands comes to mind).

You would probably enjoy Marvel Heroes, then. It has something like 45 different characters, each with their own sets of abilities and such.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ekster posted:

Meanwhile MGS5, a Japanese game, was simultaneously released on 5 different platform including PC with hardly any problems.

Note that Kojima Productions is considerably smaller than giants like Ubisoft.

:ssh: Ground Zeroes was released 9 months later for PC than it was for consoles.

Ubisoft is still awful, of course.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

He wasn't talking about ground zeros

You're right; I was giving too much weight to the 'simultaneously' and didn't get the implied point that Konami improved from their first release to their second. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I thought Darksiders was dead, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXADwY5Vni4

e: It just looks like a re-release for current gen consoles, but it's good to see the franchise isn't necessarily dead. Hopefully they decide to continue the series!

astral fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 23, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mr E posted:

I got real tired of do three things then move on in darksiders 2.

Darksiders 1 was so much better and what I'd want a hypothetical Darksiders 3 to be like. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

uplay thought I still had some old AC games installed so I checked the registry

:sigh:

update: deleting the ac3 and blood dragon registry keys here (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ubisoft) removed them from uplay's list of installed games, thank goodness

brotherhood wasn't removed from ubi's installed games list, nor was revelations which hadn't even had registry entries :(

astral fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 31, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition is out for PCs despite early news only seeming to mention consoles. It's a $6 upgrade from Darksiders II or a $24 purchase if not, but it looks like people with the loyalty discount can gift it if you really want Darksiders II.

quote:

Deathinitive Edition Features:

Darksiders 2 with all DLC included and integrated into the game which offers a total playtime of more than 30 hours
Reworked and tuned game balancing and loot distribution
Improved Graphic Render Engine for higher visual quality especially in terms of lighting and shadows
Improved and reworked level, character and environment graphics
Running in native 1080p resolution
Steam Trading Cards

My recommendation: Buy Darksiders 1 instead! It's a much, much better game and only $3.99. A friend of mine once described it as "the best 3D zelda game" and I wholeheartedly agree. It's tons of fun, and it doesn't have the sequel's horribly tacked-on diablo loot system or obscene degrees of "get me these 3 items!"

Darksiders 1 also has amazing voice acting: Liam O'Brien and Mark Hamill (doing a Joker voice), to name a couple.

Darksiders II is basically a side-story set in the Darksiders universe, which is the only compelling reason to try it - if that's enough for you, go for it! I didn't regret my time with Darksiders II, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first. Don't get it at that full price, though.

admataY posted:

Anyone knows if the second " Book of unwritten tales" is as good as the first or not ?

With how good the first one was and 96% of the Steam Reviews being positive, I'm pretty confident it will be.

astral fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 5, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you play Van Helsing Final Cut co-op, do the players still both get Katarina? I guess she has important story dialogue and stuff, so she must still be there.

Yep. Each player's Katarina is active and does help out in combat.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Not sure how long this has been a thing, but if you own Darksiders 2 and its DLC you can get the upgraded Deathinitive edition for free:

http://ds2dekeyredeem.nordicgames.at/

Just worked for me. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nev posted:

How is this meant to work? All it does is say "You own Darksiders II". I don't get a key and it doesn't appear to have unlocked anything in my steam account.

Did you have the season pass? You probably need at least those DLCs to qualify.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

playing three rpgs at once

I recommend not skipping the faction sidequests or whatever they're called in Amalur, like house of ballads. Those were pretty good.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

No idea. I grabbed a few pamphlets from walmart one time and looked at them and they were all insane and I went "welp nevermind". If there's a sane place to shop around online, please feel free to link me to it.

edit: VVVV Also a reason I don't have one!

A friend of mine swears by Ting: https://ting.com/rates

A family member loves TracFone: http://www.tracfone.com/e_store.jsp?task=buyphone&lang=en
(though if you go with TracFone, look for phone+minutes/activation time deals on the home shopping network or qvc like this)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

drat, is that actually available and not awful? Cuz that's the sort of price I could stand.

It's available to purchase, but you'd need to check coverage in your area; I believe that one uses AT&T's network.
At a glance, the main downsides of that phone are:
  • There's only 8GB of internal storage, so don't expect to have room for a ton of games and videos or whatever.
  • The screen resolution is also not great - 480x854 - so no HD.
  • Specs say Android 5.0.1, and it likely won't get any further updates.

For the overall price, I think it's pretty reasonable as a first smartphone for someone if those downsides are acceptable; the equivalent of the included 1200 minutes/MB/texts + 1yr service is normally $100 on its own, and the phone comes with a car charger and (probably crappy) case.

If you want a phone with better specs though you'd probably have better luck bringing a phone or looking elsewhere. You might want to stop by the recommend a phone/plan thread in IYG, they can probably help with better advice: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3026166
The current recommendation there seems to be Cricket so that's probably worth checking out too: https://www.cricketwireless.com/

astral fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 3, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

bad day posted:

Here, have a free copy of Shantae & The Pirate's Curse - it is a Wayforward game so no doubt it is good; I just don't like platformers.

Thanks!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm looking through my backlog and I noticed Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. I should play that, right?

as an attractive person that likes cool games, I can only recommend it

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

poo poo that's pretty good

I expected very little from the humble monthly, so the average quality of these bundles and the policy of letting people know one or more headlining games have definitely been a pleasant surprise.

Almost bought this last one just for Stick, but none of those other games would have interested me so I think I made the right decision to hold off for now.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

So I just tried to download and install Steam on my Macbook (OSX 10.11.1) and the application won't open. I've tried redownloading and installing a few times, looked to see if there was a quick answer, signed up for the Steam support and didn't find an answer and can't even find a way to ask "the app won't even install right". My interest in this is quickly dying. Anyone have any quick explanation for what might be wrong before I lose all interest and forget about this until a year or two from now when I decide to try Steam again?

Might try this:

quote:

1. Delete your /Library/Application Support/Steam/ folder.
  2. Click the Steam.app icon, and it will automagically install Steam.
  3. Afterwards, it still won't respond, but just wait, and don't close Steam.
  4. Click the word "Steam" up in the top-left corner of the screen, next to the .
  5. In the little menu that expands, click "Check for Updates".
  6. Steam should be working soon.

If that fails, you could try:

quote:

Open Safari and type steam://flushconfig then press enter
Restart your computer.
Launch Steam and re-test the issue.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

tater_salad posted:

Hey Goons, how are folks playing jackbox with internet friends? I think that the twitch delay is too long to let folks answer the questions.

hitbox.tv or other alternatives, iirc

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Grody posted:

hey can i get an invite to the SA Goons group. my steam is g_whip_special_sauce_2_point_0

The OP posted:

:siren: If you want to join the goon Steam group, post in this thread

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I've had a weird thing the last couple of months were certain websites don't load images for me inline on SA (mostly twitter's image host, but often steam hosted images too). If I load the image separately in a different tab it loads up fine, so I'm at a loss since the last time I asked nobody else seemed to be experiencing it.

This question was from a couple pages back, but I'm going to guess you're using Firefox based on the first problem:

quote:

Q: I'm using Firefox and I can't see Twitter images or Twitter embeds in any posts!
A: Click the shield next to the address bar, disable tracking protection for this site.

The other problem is a separate browser-independent issue:

quote:

Q: I can't see images in some posts!
A: Some image hosts still don't support SSL:

zen death robot posted:

When things moved over to the new servers I was able to use a much newer version of NGINX that supported Security Policy headers like "upgrade insecure requests" instead of having to use a meta tag that was only supported by Chrome. This is why if you're browsing using SSL some image hosts won't work properly.
As a workaround you can browse the forums via http: instead.

I'd say "we should encourage people to use image hosts that support SSL" but steam's host for screenshots doesn't. :rolleyes: So, how about "We should encourage steam to properly support SSL for screenshots".

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gromit posted:

I'm trying to work through some of my backlog, and used http://www.mysteamgauge.com to sort my games by release date. The next cab off the rank is The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. Would it be a good idea to install some of the mods described at http://www.gamingboulevard.com/2015/05/special-lets-mod-the-witcher-enhanced-edition/ or is that a bunch of dross like that old System Shock 2 enhancement that gave you stripper models with big tits?

Just install the mod that makes Geralt run super fast.

e: here's a link or two:
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Movement_speed_mod
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher/mods/256/

astral fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 16, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Indecisive posted:

I need that proof smiley in my life

corn in the bible posted:

i aint got 30 bux though

Someone bought it! Need Proof? :proof:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

A good poster posted:

Hitting the quote button to see what the poster originally typed is pretty helpful.

gotta love radium's 4-state bbcode parser

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

Why is there no Rocket League thread?

It's currently on the second page of Games: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718089

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zombie Samurai posted:

The only search functionality I want now is the ability to sort my library by genre (or tag). I've bought so many $2 bundles at this point that I know I have like 50 hidden object games but I can't remember what they are.

I think I read that Depressurizer can do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Is there a reason I can never see embedded steam images unless I open them in a new tab?

They do not have a properly-configured certificate, so secure connections to their image host fail.

• Locked thread