Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just updated my pre-bought games list, including adding some new stuff as well as dropping prices on others further, most of them are the cheapest you'll find them anywhere at this point!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528291

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If folks are interested in getting stuff from Steam, I've got more steambux. If you're looking to get GTA V or Dying Light or anything else at a discount, I'm your guy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

has the bonus of not being a complete garbage game for the mentally ill.

I never played starbound, please elaborate on why this is such a hostile reaction to the game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If anyone with animated banner-making skills is interested in making some banners for my various SA-Mart threads, there's Steam games in it for you.

See this SA-Mart thread for details

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mutation posted:

I'd like all the games, please.

You should've posted the other one that is a million times better, add me on steam and PM me your steam profile(so I know it's really you) and you can have a copy of Terraria, Tomb Raider, or Gone Home for free.

References this fuckin' Philips CDI game which is just ridiculous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deqzy_tifRU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I need some room in my Steam wallet, buy some poo poo please

You could, for example, buy Wolfenstein: The New Order, at a discount!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

open world games is usually the sign of a terrible dev

besides Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs there aren't any other good open world games

Um, are you forgetting the third best-selling game of all time, MINECRAFT? Hel-LO

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Pretty sure he's not actually doing it to make a living but is actually doing it because he thinks following the markets is a fun diversion in his free time
I make a modest profit on it, but nowhere near what people think I do

The 20k I made was in sales, not profits, for example. I can elaborate later.

Orv posted:

Yeah, and at least originally he got that Steambux overflow from hat stuff. I think he said he's eased off on the hat hustle last time he talked about it.
I do yeah, lately the hat stuff has gone downhill since valve has made some very stupid decisions about their economy stuff, especially with Dota so I hear.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Thingyman posted:

Yeah, he sells discounted Steam games as a way of cashing out his fat steam wallet. I think he made somewhere around 20k in 2013? I remember him posting about trying to explain selling non-existent, pointless things to his tax guy.
Alright, to be more specific, I made about 23,000 dollars worth of sales on the steam marketplace in 2013. After 20k in sales, Valve sends you a tax form as standard, below that it's basically under the table. The issue wasn't so much explaining it to my tax guy, it was wrangling Valve themselves to give me my sales and such in a format that was actually possible to provide to a tax guy, which took a while and eventually I had to contact the head of finance at Valve to get me the appropriate excel file since steam support literally had no idea what to do when I asked them, they straight up were like "uhhhh. I honestly have no idea what to do man, sorry". Before that my accountant had suggested copy/pasting the relevant data directly from the marketplace, which, ah, if you've ever looked at your "marketplace history" tab, is a loving gnarled mess of listings created/sold, and only ten of either at a time per page, so there were about 1100 pages of that poo poo to go through manually. I said "there's GOT to BE a better way!" and kept climbing the chain up Valve's contacts until I got the finance guy who personally provided me an excel file that my accountant was able to parse and tally in less than fifteen minutes, which is something that should literally be available from a menu on the marketplace page, seriously. The amount Valve takes as a cut from steambux bothered me that it got included as well, as it'd have all gone unreported if they didn't include that amount(a full 15%, so a little over $3500 was their take from my sales), but thanks to my accountant being the best there ever was, I wound up not having to pay anything in the end. It was still a helluva hassle. If it happens again though, I know how to deal with it.

pentyne posted:

I just want to hear the story about how you had to explain to your tax preparer that you sold a digital hat for an online game for like $3k.
My accountant is actually surprisingly open to new forms of commerce, especially digitally, considering he's more than twice my age, but still trying to explain to him that I sold a gold-plated limited-edition frying pan that turns guys you beat to death with it into golden statues of themselves for nearly $3500 was a bit hard for him to comprehend.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, I don't play TF2. I mean, I have, VERY briefly. An item like this... were you just insanely lucky to have gotten it?
It's basically the .00001% chance drop from a pay-to-play version of one of the gamemodes, if you use a 99 cent ticket per mission and complete all the missions in a campaign, you get a chance at a gold-plated weapon. Basically, it's a super rare chance to get one of the gold-plated ones from the drop pool after taking part in a campaign that can take hours, and then on top of that the golden frying pan is the ultra rare drop from that golden weapon drop pool. So it's a stars-have-aligned sort of thing. To put it into perspective, in the height of the gamemode's time when the golden frying pan was first made available, for the first two months, 3 golden frying pans were found. In a game that regularly has 50,000 people playing at any given time, that's a pretty rare drop. And there are plenty of people with more money than sense.

In that case, someone who doesn't even trade was just playing the gamemode with their friends and it happened to drop for them. It announces to the ENTIRE PLAYERBASE who found it, which I think is the dumbest poo poo in the world, and he asked me to sell it for him because within seconds he started getting hundreds of people adding him trying to scam him out of it(who subsequently started adding me, natch). I eventually sold it for about 3500 dollars worth of Earbuds, the gold standard currency in TF2.

If you would like to hear more insane poo poo from my time as a TF2 hat baron, I've sent multiple emails in to Idle Thumbs that have been read on the air. I kinda wish someone would do a supercut of all of them together. Especially if you've never really paid attention to the hat aspect of tf2/dota/csgo, it'll blow your mind

part 1
part 2
part 3 part 1
part 3 part 2

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

King Vidiot posted:

So I assume actual, tangible money (or at least Steam wallet money) came out of this in the end? Because "earbuds" doesn't sound like currency to me.
That's why I said gold standard, like was said, they've got a defined value. In recent months the TF2 economy has started to crumble, as higher-tier stuff loses value and lower-tier stuff becomes more desired. It's only natural for an 8-year-old game for this sort of thing to happen, but it was still fairly sudden. I think it was when the End of the Line update turned out to be a big wet fart that the decline gained a lot of speed. It's still one of the most-played games on Steam, but the high-end trading aspect most certainly isn't as frenetic as it once was. Now it's all about Dota and CSGO, and dota's economy's been hosed up a bit by Valve's bumbling, like removing end-of-round drops.

Awesome! posted:

think of sojs in diablo
That is literally the first comparison made in the first idle thumbs link, yeah. They're like SOJs though not as hilariously overduped, there's maybe 3-4 times as many Earbuds as there were originally, whereas SOJs, there was basically an infinite supply.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If folks are looking for discount games, I've got more funds in my wallet right now: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528291

(also cheap copies of Metal Gear Rising and such)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've got a whole buncha funds again in my SA-Mart thread, if you're looking for cheaper games. GTA V, Witcher 3, etc at a discount(or in the case of Witcher, a further discount).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

corn in the bible posted:

those spaceships are like tailor-made for idiot nerds
Man, you really don't like warhammer do you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If folks are still looking for Witcher 3 at a discount, I've got some copies left in my SA-Mart thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If folks are still looking to get the witcher 3 at near-preorder price, I've got copies for $50 available, I have about 8 left(can't check exact number due to steam being down atm).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528291

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Liquid Penguins posted:

go shill somewhere else
It helps folks out and helps me out. I don't do it very often, a half dozen times in the entire thread, only when I've got too many steambux stocked up or what-have-you. Nothing to get worked up over, LP. :)

Awesome! posted:

the man is going to choke on those witcher copies cut him some slack will ya
Nah, they're selling pretty well, already sold almost half of'em. Thanks for the concern though!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Downs Duck posted:

What happened with Lang during E3?
3 hours, 50 minutes in. Adam Boyes, Johnny V, and Dave Lang on the couch with Jeff Gerstmann. Might be some of the funniest poo poo I've ever seen, Johnny drunkenly made a huge fuckup and Dave rolled with it, turning a horrible situation into some of the funniest livestreaming ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysKExiHQvd4

e:fb

Dave Lang is an incredibly funny dude and I am so glad Giant Bomb exists to let people like him, Adam Boyes, Johnny V, Brad Muir, etc. get unprofessional camera time because they're just damned entertaining people.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 24, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've inherited a pretty monstrous mortgage and, while I've come up with some measures to deal with it without losing the house, those will unfortunately take at least a few months to set in motion(thanks slow-rear end state department!). Until then, I'm going to be selling a lot of my personal stuff like old SNES games and Transformers and poo poo, and combine that with relying on that and my Steam discount service to hopefully fill the gap in the meantime. So if folks are looking for discount Steam games, it'd be much appreciated if you could go through me, or possibly buy some of my deeply discounted pre-bought games. My discount stacks with anything Steam currently offers at the time of purchase, and I also accept TF2/DOTA/CSGO/Steam inventories in place of cash, possibly even paying you as well as providing the game(s) you want for free if you've got worthwhile enough items.

I know some folks don't like my advertising in the thread, I try to keep it to a minimum and only when I either have an overabundance of steambux or really need the help, and in this case it's more of the latter and only somewhat of the former.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They're both okay. First one's AI is more easily manipulated than the second one, as far as I've encountered.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's real pretty but I liked Axiom Verge better.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That's usually how it works whenever you see people complaining about mods.
*yanks Corn In The Bible's mask off to reveal Shalinor in disguise*

GASP!

Jordan7hm posted:

When Dredmor was a thing that was a solid thread too.
I haven't really paid attention to Dredmor or Gaslamp games in a while, did something happen? Or do you mean it just faded into the background? Dredmor's probably my favorite roguelike ever, just the right mixture of fun, difficulty, randomness, and humor for my liking.

Ragequit posted:

Can't remember it very well, but someone pointed out he was a furry or had a graphic deviantart or something so he went on a crazy tirade, made an awful poem, and was fired.
So this is another case of hearsay mutating over time. The dude that all that was about was Blue, the first PR guy for Redigit for a couple months after initial release, and he was a pretty big weirdo and a huge baby about everything, eventually getting the boot after he threw that tantrum and that poem got posted.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ragequit posted:

I am aware it was Blue. That is exactly who I was referring to. It's not hearsay - I watched the whole thing unfold. Hard to believe it was 4 years ago. It sounds like you remember it the same as I do. I know there was a deviantart involved, but it might have just been images with his poems or something else light.
Yeah it sounded like you were talking about Redigit. Blue was just some PR guy he had who I believe got pretty salty about doing what he was hired to do and not reaping the huge, overwhelming success that terraria wrought. He was the one with the deviantart, the furry stuff, the douche chills poem, Redigit's just a normal dude and the only drama I remember involving him was when he stopped working on the game when he had a kid and the Terraria forums had an absolute meltdown, I think there were straight up "I hope you kid dies so you get back to work"-type posts, because The Internet

redreader posted:

I like survival games.
I'll say this to you and anyone else who hasn't played Terraria recently but loved it in the past, if you've not played since the "final" patch that added a final boss and event and tons of other stuff, you really, really need to start a new character, start a new world, and go from there. I must've socked away 100+ hours in just the new patch alone. It's amazing the amount of stuff there is to do and find now. Pretty much my only complaint is the rarity of some items(Lava Charms can gently caress right off for how important they are versus their rarity) and that some crafting materials should really be obtainable by defeating certain enemies(Fragments from their corresponding Pillar mobs, etc). Other than that it's ten times the game it used to be at release, at least.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For those interested in the upcoming DOOM, XCOM 2, Far Cry Primal, or recent releases like Rainbow Six Siege, Fallout 4 etc, I'm currently able to get them all for $52 USD for anyone interested. Percentage discounts off everything Steam has to offer per usual, as well.

Zetsubou-san posted:

games I've played and liked that came out in the past 14 months

The Talos Principle
Rocket League
Axiom Verge
Mini Metro
The Consuming Shadow
Divide by Sheep
Abyss Odyssey
Sandmason
Ziggurat
Gemcraft - Chasing Shadows
Legend of Grimrock II
Sunless Sea
Seconding the recommendation for Axiom Verge, Ziggurat and Rocket League, and adding some more recent/semi-recent stuff to the list:

Undertale (incredibly good indie game, fantastic characters, probably best soundtrack of the year)
Crypt of the Necrodancer (also really good indie game, a rhythm game roguelike)
Darkest Dungeon (gorgeous, filthy cosmic horror game where you manage a dungeoneering party and have to keep their sanity in check)
Binding of Isaac Rebirth + Afterbirth (Zelda meets roguelike)
Cities: Skylines (what Simcity wanted to be)
Shovel Knight (excellent tribute to old platformers, mostly Megaman, funny and stylish, good music)
You Must Build A Boat (also has a mobile version, both versions are excellent)
Tales From the Borderlands (I dislike Borderlands but both from what I've seen and heard, TFtB is the best thing Telltale's ever done)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The non-ironic love that Undertale's soundtrack gets is bizarre
It's exceptionally good. Like if folks have gripes with the game at all, it's almost never the soundtrack.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a shame you didn't enjoy it, but that's definitely not the majority opinion on the music.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mutation posted:

The sonic pallet of the songs are sometimes eh for me but compositionally they're great and led to some fantastic remixes.

This is great regardless.
Also, a lot of the music is composed of the same melodies but play out differently so they sound like different tracks. Like the standard battle music? It's also Dogsong, and Temmie Village.

Or Waterfall, that's also, well, a lot of different tracks. Like Spear of Justice. And Napstablook's house music is also Spider Dance. If I hadn't heard them right next to each other I'd never have noticed.

Not liking the music in the game is fine, different strokes, but the composition is outstanding.

Ghostlight posted:

I haven't played the game, but that's a good track.
The game has different paths through it, and this is one of the final boss themes, "MEGALOVANIA":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2jVbSI9H4o

All of the boss fight tracks are fantastic, but one of my favorite themes is probably one of the most low-key, emotional ones, entitled simply "Undertale":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OqigCz2S1w

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Scalding Coffee posted:

Turns out, if you cancel a lot of trade deals, you can get a seven day ban for it, according to some forum posts. Thanks, Steam. I'll go buy an android and jump through a few hoops to be at the same situation as a week ago.
No but we could just get rid of trading entirely you see, so gently caress you, you'll take the lovely app and like it bitch

bonds0097 posted:

It is my suspicion that the people complaining about 2FA in Steam are the same people that would be bitching and blaming Steam if their accounts were hijacked due to lovely passwords or falling for a phishing attempt. Personally, based on Valve's report on the amount of account theft that was occurring, implementing multi-factor auth was really the best and only thing they could reasonably do.
One dude I traded with today had the perfect reply to this. He bought some keys on the marketplace to trade for an unusual tf2 hat for his brother's birthday gift, and then when they were tradeable, he has to then wait another 3 days because he doesn't own a smartphone.

The items he bought from the market were not tradeable for a week, and then another 3 days on top of that due to the lack of a smartphone. Ten days to make a trade is ridiculous.

Two factor authentication is all well and good but making people wait 7 days for market items to be tradeable, and 3 days for trades to go through is a bit ridiculous. If they are forcing 2FA then the week trade lock should be lifted and there should be some sort of option for non smartphone users because not everyone owns one. And I can guarantee you that people will refuse trades if they have to wait three days to get their poo poo from someone.

Threatening to kill the entire trade system if they didn't do the 2FA thing is bullshit, regardless. They make so much money hand over fist, often times triple, quadruple-dipping or more on marketed items, that they could hire a couple of people to handle hijackings alone and not even make a dent in their profits.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's been a few months since I've had an overabundance of steambux, but I've got a whole lot now, if anyone's looking for cheap games. Whether it be XCOM 2, DOOM, The Division, Stardew Valley, Disgaea, Dark Souls 3, or any other game, marketplace item, or software on Steam, I can get it at a discount for you.

Just beat Darkest Dungeon the other day and it's a great game, imo worth it at full price but also probably going to go on sale at a decent discount whenever steam has another big sale. I'm not a super huge fan of the ending, though it does have parts and concepts I liked.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ekster posted:

I have to agree that nerds shouldn't be allowed to have facial hair.

Or preferrably, any hair.
:yeah:

Jamfrost posted:

What would one do with a hairless nerd?
rub my head for good luck?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have like 450 games in my library but that's because I dumbly redeemed all the humble bundle poo poo I was getting for a while, which added like 300 worthless games to the list.

Or games I bought for the promo tf2 items to sell, since that used to be a way to essentially get free games (the total war shogun stuff was one example for a short time).

Where the gently caress are their seatbelts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zombie Samurai posted:

Darkest Dungeon has sucked up a ton of my time since it came out of Early Access. If I didn't do the review thing I would have been locked in my room playing that and Subnautica for the last two months.
Yeah I dropped a good 100 hours into DD after release and eventually beat it. Great game, some small issues, but I had a great time with it. Just wish there was more. Also that the ending is kind of dumb with a few good parts, but the whole of the Darkest Dungeon is great outside of the forced bullshit in the second quest in it.

Sivek posted:

So, looks like Steam is going to have a 15 day hold on listing your random cards and emotes starting next week if you don't use the steam mobile authentication app.

This is stupid and dumb. please stop getting your accounts hijacked people.
Yeah I already thought a 3 day hold was ridiculous but this is just nuts. They really, really, REALLY need to make a non-mobile authenticator, or not make you manually authenticate every single transaction, or whatever.

Mukaikubo posted:

So, I just got the angry popup bitching me out for not using STEAM MOBILE AUTHENTICATOR and direly warning that if I did not activate STEAM MOBILE AUTHENTICATOR on my iOS or Android device, all my trades would be held/frozen for two weeks in perpetuum.

But I don't loving have a smartphone. I do have a really old cell phone, and Steam has that number and I verified it not two months ago, but that apparently does not count for "Not Locking Out My Account". Am I just hosed because Steam demands literally everyone have a smartphone? :(
Yeah. gently caress you, poor.

Kyrosiris posted:

People's dogged resistance to 2FA will never cease to amuse me.
A good way to not use 2FA right is to require it for every single action

Everything listed on the steam marketplace that's over 3 dollars requires an individual confirmation. If you're selling a lot of stuff, that's a lot of pointless tedium instead of, say, a session authentication.

Also, a lot of people who don't normally trade come to me to sell their items, and this 15 day hold insanity means people won't bother selling their stuff altogether, or even if they do sign up for the mobile authenticator, they still have to wait another week. It is a poorly implemented system. Not 2FA, but how Valve is doing it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Awesome! posted:

give me a classic batmobile or get out psyonix
which one :v:

(Batman Returns Batmobile has always been my favorite)

Underwhelmed posted:

Not really.

It is like a hateful ugly little dog. You might find something to love about it, but you are going to have to really work at finding that something.
this is an exceptionally good description

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wowee wow wow wow, now you have to authenticate to list 5 cent steam cards? I literally cannot believe anyone is still bothering with them at this point.

If it was "authenticate to allow listings for the next ten minutes from this device", which would be a good and smart thing to do, I could understand that, but man, this is a poor decision by Valve. One of many lately, if all that news about them is remotely accurate.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Kins posted:

Wouldn't forcing you to authenticate all transactions stop you from accidentally selling your $16 trillion TF2 hat for sixty bucks and crying to the TF2 thread for donations to make up for your ham-handedness?
lol, you're such a piece of poo poo dragging that in here. Kind of pitiful that that's your mindset, that anyone who just wants to vent a bit is begging for compensation, really. Someone made a mistake, better rub their face in it, right?

But that's not even remotely what I'm talking about. It's actively detrimental to require authentication for all items for valve, because people are not going to bother listing stuff if it's going to require that much effort every single time and they only get a quarter or 50 cents for an item, let alone the lesser stuff. Meaning lost sales for valve. A timed authentication period would make the most sense.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mung Dynasty posted:

Why does everything have to be "meets Dark Souls"?

https://twitter.com/xmeetsdarksouls

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus, stardew valley is a dangerous game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know some folks in this thread have enjoyed my stories about the steam hat economies, Idle Thumbs just released a compilation of the various emails I've sent in to them with breakdowns and stories around tf2 and such trading. It's a good listen if you're curious, the steam marketplace is a weird one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF52sL2wi1c&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Palpek posted:

Hey, can you tell me if there was any noticeable impact from the authorization requirement on the Steam market? People waiting 2 weeks to post an item etc.
If you don't enable the authenticator, then it triggers the 15 day hold on listings. This actually caused a fairly significant increase, initially, in the prices of lower-end items, as less people were willing to list in the first place stuff that wouldn't be worth the extra confirmations via the authenticator, so a lot of 5-10 cent items rose to as high as 20-30 cents each. That may not seem like much, but that's tripling in price, at least, for trading cards, of which you usually need 7-10 of to make a steam badge, making it much more expensive to raise steam levels in a lot of cases. Nowadays it seems it's calmed down a lot, and the 5-10 cent items are now around 10-15 cents, but generally most things rose in price a slight amount across the board. The rate of sales, well, I haven't studied it, so I couldn't say, but I do know a lot of folks have just not bothered selling stuff anymore thanks to the obnoxiousness of the 2-factor authentication for even 4-cent listings(which net the seller a penny after fees), which of course raises prices by decreasing supply. I still think they should do a timed authentication rather than individual authentication, but whatever. I'll list stuff, then pop on a video and tap at the confirm button on my phone for like ten minutes while it slowly confirms everything.

That being said, if you do not have an authenticator, there is Winauth which allows for using a Steam download for it to attach a Google Voice number to, which lets you authenticate stuff without having a smartphone if you're unable to get one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

Can you tell me a little more about this? Is this really something where I wouldn't need a tablet or smartphone at all? I can just do all of the authentication stuff via the PC?
Yep, this is absolutely the case. Keep in mind this does not protect you if your PC gets compromised, however, it's not really 2-factor authentication so far as you're logging in through the same device for both steam and the authenticator, so if you get your PC compromised they may be able to get access to your steam account. The point of the phone authenticator is to have two separate devices so you're able to keep your stuff safe in case something goes wrong on your PC.

If you're okay with that, here is a guide for setting up a Winauth authenticator.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=581563653

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

pentyne posted:

In the podcast you mention you have a lot of actual physical goods from DOTA2, TF2, CSGO stuff you bought for digital goods, do you sell those as well or is that too much of a hassle to ship?

I've sold some of it but the majority is still in boxes. If you're interested, I've got a thread where I'm selling them among other things for dirt cheap. I still have a few large boxes with like 150 giant winged donkey balloons in them, I tried donating them but since the bags were opened to get the item card, they wouldn't take them, and the party supply store I talked to wound up going out of business before anything happened, so...they're still here.

I'm actually going to be sending a mailbag to the Idle Thumbs guys with a variety of dota stuff in it(among other things) because I know at the very least Sean loves that poo poo.

• Locked thread