Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Sankis posted:

Steam updated for me earlier. It has a new icon in the task bar, a blue circle with the usual steam logo within it, and the UI itself has streaks of blue near the top. However, now Steam (Particularly "bootstrapper") simply hangs as soon as the program loads. How do I fix this? :(

I've had issues today too. New icon, new UI, but Steam is sluggish as poo poo and when I try to launch some games (DOTA is the best example), the games load really slow and when they start they stutter and are not usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The Kins posted:

It's because you're in the beta client.

Yeah I know that, but the beta client normally at least works.

EDIT -- the download queue is getting stuck. Open it up and remove everything.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 8, 2014

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Is there any kind of lobby system for it?

As in, if I want to play Terra Mystica, can I advertise that somehow or is the game locked down to inviting friends only?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Palpek posted:

Also seriously more people should be playing Alien: Isolation.

I hope that gum I like comes back into style because your suggestion and the 25% off coupon at GMG convinced me to buy this thing.

I would have paid full price if you could choose your favourite Alien character because then I would finally fulfill my dream of being a video game version of Harry Dean Stanton.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Palpek posted:

Brett is sadly already dead but you still have 3 crew members to choose from.

No Harry Dean, I will just have to hold out for Paris, Texas: The Game.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hav posted:

He needs to learn the valuable lesson of stepping away from a keyboard for a couple of days, let the poo poo shake out, take the lumps and come back to the issue with a renewed sense of rationality. This hot-tempered decision-making is the worst thing he could do.

Your error is that your suggestion is a very rational and adult kind of thing to do.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mutation posted:

I don't know why anyone's exited for the new Twin Peaks when it's obvious that Lynch is past his prime.

I'm not sure if his last two films (Inland Empire and Mulholland Dr.) were indicators of him being "past his prime", but taste is subjective I guess.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mutation posted:

Mulholland Dr. and Inland Empire are both like a decade old and everything he's done since Inland Empire has been pretty bad.

I am 100% sure that we're not completely sure how it will turn out.

Related: excited about having grabbed Deadly Premonition for a couple bucks this past weekend.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Breadallelogram posted:

I was gone all weekend so I haven't read like 10 pages of the thread, but why are we talking about David Lynch? Just because Deadly Premonition is on sale?

No, because this is a formica table. Green is its color.

(yeah Deadly Premonition was on sale)

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Male Man posted:

There are monsters, and you click on them. This generates items which have colors. Repeat as necessary.

Also you forgot how you start doing this and then without your noticing it will suddenly be 6-8 hours later.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Arnold of Soissons posted:

e: vv with any rouguelike and especially a new one, people will complain about the difficulty being impossible the first time they lose a guy and keep going until the devs nerf or tell them to gently caress off. you would think the "your guys are going to die and that's part of it" screen would clue people in buuuttttt

The forums for the game has a bunch of people complaining about losing a character.

Part of the fun is to send in a lowly red-shirt to die horribly in order to level up one of your more important characters, over and over again. The game even tells you that you'll have a never ending supply of fresh meat to throw into the dungeon.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Drunk Tomato posted:

TB is a huge baby who doesn't think toilet humor is "the epitome of wit". He takes himself waaaaaaay too seriously, which is why he is mocked so much. Does he not realize this?

Let us not forget that he is a law graduate with an IQ of 155, which is the true litmus test of whether a person should be considered "serious" or "un-serious".

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I don't mean to gently caress up all this debate that came out of a time capsule from 2012 or anything, but RONIN looks really great.

It seems to look (and play) a lot like Gunpoint, which seems to be fine since it's also Tom Francis approved.

Has anybody tried it out yet?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Seventh Arrow posted:

I've never played a MGS game before, but I do like me some stealth. How does Phantom Pain's gameplay differ from, say, Splinter Cell Blacklist?

The stealth gameplay is fantastic but you can also steal Thomas Dolby cassettes from Soviet Soldiers and then also steal their sheep using a balloon while listening to them discuss naked snipers.

Also I once stole a cassette that was just the sound of a guy making GBS threads himself in an outhouse. 10/10 game of the year and I know that I've just barely scratched the surface.

I haven't played any other Metal Gear games save for the NES original, so I have NO CLUE what is happening either but I think that makes the game even better.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Palpek posted:

The expansion is great because of how self-aware it is about Geralt being a Gwent addict.

Our town will be reduced to rubble unless you defend us Geralt!

How about a game of Gwent?

Your daughter is in mortal danger, just beyond the hill outside of this very town!

How about a game of Gwent?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Being personally interested in dota 2 is very very bad.

"I am personally interested in a company making decisions that best serve my giant invisible spider game above anything else."

(presses Q repeatedly while wishing death on a 15 year old Peruvian)

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Azhais posted:

Some Christian propaganda movie about the evils of rock and roll.

Watching a few minutes of this has inspired me to put on some AC/DC and play Pony Island.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Lost me at the 0:01 mark when it said "Cyanide Studio".

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hav posted:

Yeah, you kids these days are spoiled with your keyed slots, motherboard headers and instructions.

It baffles me that everything has become really simple except for hooking up the loving HDD activity lights and the power switch and all the bullshit front panel stuff. Why can't there just be a universal front panel plug that has all of that poo poo that just snaps in instead of a big row of impossible to see two pin connectors where if you get the polarity wrong one of the lights doesn't work?

I remember how lovely building PCs used to be and now it's really easy, but this step has never really improved much. Yeah, you're not going to blow anything up (it's not like loving up putting in the CPU) but it's annoying as gently caress.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

corn in the bible posted:

do not buy the pc twilight struggle port.

Board game companies are incredibly inept at getting PC ports of their games made. That a game like Dominion doesn't have a decent port out there raking in cash but Projekt Red can add Gwent as a side game within The Witcher 3 that works better than 90% of the board game ports out there speaks volumes about the board game industry.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ragequit posted:

It's one of those games (like Elder Scrolls games) where you can seriously burn out on side quests or chasing after ?'s on the map.

The proper way to play the Witcher III is to assume that the primary quest is actually to become the greatest collectible card game player in the Northern Kingdoms. You happen to kill monsters and undead and participate in political intrigue so you can buy more cards. Also there's a family problem that acts as a distraction.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Zigmidge posted:

board games designed around a touch interface first makes perfect sense you nerds

This is part of the reason why it's baffling that they keep loving them up.

You get a mediocre to bad iOS/Android port and then it gets hosed up even more coming over to Steam.

There's no real excuse that a wildly popular game like Dominion shouldn't have made wheelbarrows full of cash with an even slightly competent digital implementation but board games are constantly hosed up when translated to digital, the latest example happening just yesterday with Twilight Struggle.

If the "regular" gaming community had the same expectations for digital as the board game community, The Witcher III would have been released without hit detection ("once you defeat an NPC, simply right click and choose "DEAD"") and half of the NPCs would be replaced by big black boxes and the text in the game would be half French. Also it would have been released (in this quarter complete format) about 12 years after being first announced.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 14, 2016

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Because the most logical thing to do during a Steam sale is to buy a full price game, I ended up buying the new Hitman.

Within a few minutes, I drowned a guy in the toilet and stole his hat. Due to my wearing his hat, I was indistinguishable from him to people who had greeted him moments ago.

I love Hitman.

Hitman is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

SelenicMartian posted:

Indiegamestand has From the Depths at a pay-what-you-want-as-long-as-it's-over-$4 deal.

It's a vehicle building game that's been in Early Access since 2014. And it's alpha v1.9587.

Is there some story to that?

It's a good game but it's incredibly complicated and if the devs think it needs a better way to introduce new players to the game before going past Alpha, I wouldn't disagree.

• Locked thread