Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
UFC Fight Night 46: McGregor vs. Brandão
When: July 19th, 2014 at 12:30pm ET/9:30am PT
Where: O2 Arena in Dublin, Ireland
How: Fight Pass (All 10 fights)
Thread gimmick credit: Captain Log
Goonweight Grand Prix Stuff: Make your picks || Spreadsheet || Thread
Chat: #MMA on synIRC

You like sport fighting. You like winning money. The problem is, when confronted with a bet, you have the good sense to run the other direction like Wanderlei Silva fleeing an athletic commission. It's time to man up and show your friends you're the best at knowing what will happen when two men punch each other in the face for 15 minutes while wearing their choice of weiner coverings plastered in advertisements. With Wanderlei Silva (Not that one. The other famous and well-liked MMA personality. Who is also a cockatiel owned by Captain Log) in your corner, your luck is about to change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ABowZ56T9k

There you have it. With the hair of Conor McGregor and the rosy red cheeks of a drunken Irishman, some may be tempted to accuse Wanderlei of a bias toward the leprechaun folk. Not so. Wanderlei the Cockatiel is at least as honorable as his namesake. We guarantee it.

Agent Tough Juice fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Can we make jokes about Cockatiel Wanderlei avoiding drug tests I couldn't come up with any.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

How is uncle creepy the favorite at +350?

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Mr. Nice! posted:

How is uncle creepy the favorite at +350?

oops. something i gotta fix.

edit: fixed

Agent Tough Juice fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 18, 2014

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

video dump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIsZPsL_3eA&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq6owV_D_40&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eozmtHdQeNQ&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E_WUtuxngU&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zy_V7muqg&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc6E7bNAMfM&hd=1

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Can we make jokes about Cockatiel Wanderlei avoiding drug tests I couldn't come up with any.
Gets popped for heroin, immediately makes excuses about "birdseed".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad year for Wandy.
Made to look like an idiot on TUF, an idiot outside TUF and is relegated to worst Wanderlei Silva by a cockatiel.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Wanderlei Silva given 1 day with towel over his cage after Nevada State Wildlife Commission finds traces of AGH in the newspapers beneath his perch.

Edit: Aerial Helwani is live tweeting reports of what appears to be a guitar solo coming from inside the covered cage.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 18, 2014

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

haha people are so mad about this being on Fight Pass: https://www.facebook.com/UFC/posts/10152533261171276

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Lmao I think the UFC had a target of 100k subscriptions and in the first week they blew the doors off that.

Fight Pass is fine and will make them a small bit of money.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Conor gets hate because of the character he plays for the camera but he's awesome

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

colonel_korn posted:

haha people are so mad about this being on Fight Pass: https://www.facebook.com/UFC/posts/10152533261171276

Bryce Edwards: Fight Pass is Communist! And I Refuse to pay it! #fightpasssucks

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm based in Ireland. I know there's a channel showing the main event, but does the free trial of Fight Pass show the whole line up? I've never really watched MMA before but I figure this could be a good jumping off point. I'm not gonna pay for it though. So does the free trial cover everything tomorrow?

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Mrenda posted:

I'm based in Ireland. I know there's a channel showing the main event, but does the free trial of Fight Pass show the whole line up? I've never really watched MMA before but I figure this could be a good jumping off point. I'm not gonna pay for it though. So does the free trial cover everything tomorrow?

I don't know if there are stipulations specific to Ireland, but here in the US, every fight is on Fight Pass, so if you were to get the free trial, you'd definitely get the whole card.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Agent Tough Juice posted:

I don't know if there are stipulations specific to Ireland, but here in the US, every fight is on Fight Pass, so if you were to get the free trial, you'd definitely get the whole card.

Cool cool. I think that was the case. But they were showing up the €7.99 charge next to the prelims and the main line up so I thought it might be a PPV thing on top of the rest. Is there anything else worth watching on it during my seven day trial?

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Mrenda posted:

Cool cool. I think that was the case. But they were showing up the €7.99 charge next to the prelims and the main line up so I thought it might be a PPV thing on top of the rest. Is there anything else worth watching on it during my seven day trial?

Oh yes. There's a whole thread full of suggestions: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642892

From this card's fighters alone, it's worth checking out Conor McGregor's past fights and also anything with Brad Pickett or Ian McCall.

Edit: Just grabbing fights from wikipedia that got Fight of the Night, Sub of the Night, or Knockout of the Night, you get the following for those three guys...

Conor McGregor
vs. Marcus Brimage

Ian McCall
vs. Iliarde Santos
vs. Demetrious Johnson (Flyweight tournament semifinal for the first belt in the weight class)

Brad Pickett
vs. Michael McDonald
vs. Mike Easton
vs. Yves Jabouin
vs. Damacio Page
vs. Renan Barao
vs. Scott Jorgensen
vs. Kyle Dietz

Agent Tough Juice fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 18, 2014

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
FWIW events that are shown on TV in the US are blacked out here.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

I think for UK/Ireland it's prelims on FightPass, main card on BT Sport 2 & TV3e. Not sure if the main card would be blacked out on FightPass there but I doubt it.

I'm attending this card it's my first one. Wow!!

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
oops

Lord Waffle Beard fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 19, 2014

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I would be so down for them colluding to put on an olde timey fisticuffs match

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

So can I stream fight pass through my xbone yet?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

This fight should be filmed in black and white with all corner advice conveyed through dialogue intertitle cards.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Conor is going to get his rear end beat handily and it's going to be loving funny. The way the UFC pushed Pendragon on TUF, even knowing that he was going to lose way before it aired, shows how much they're obsessed with Ireland. I'm assuming it's mostly due to White's Boston connections and the horrible Irish pride the assholes there have. There are more people in Minnesota than in Ireland.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Wow this is easily the best thread gimmick

Captain Log posted:

So can I stream fight pass through my xbone yet?

didn't you name your other bird chuck liddel? also didn't he die?

edit: or was it tito?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ariza posted:

Conor is going to get his rear end beat handily and it's going to be loving funny. The way the UFC pushed Pendragon on TUF, even knowing that he was going to lose way before it aired, shows how much they're obsessed with Ireland. I'm assuming it's mostly due to White's Boston connections and the horrible Irish pride the assholes there have. There are more people in Minnesota than in Ireland.

He will lose, but not yet.

Weigh ins were hype as gently caress

fatherdog posted:

This fight should be filmed in black and white with all corner advice conveyed through dialogue intertitle cards.

If anyone wants to do this post fight it'd be the best thing on YouTube

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Someguy posted:

Wow this is easily the best thread gimmick

didn't you name your other bird chuck liddel? also didn't he die?

edit: or was it tito?

The parakeets Chuck Liddell and his absolute eternal bitch Tito Ortiz are both alive and well. They are far smarter and thus harder to film for stupid bet predictions.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Ariza posted:

The UFC is pushing McGregor because he is extremely marketable, and Ireland is a country that will get behind its fighters, which equals $$$. Minnesota doesn't give a gently caress about Sean Sherk.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

Conor's hype isn't so unwarranted, if you need a reminder just look at how he trashed PPV main card caliber fighters Marcus Brimage and Max Holloway.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The population of Ireland is tiny, but the Irish diaspora is absolutely enormous.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The parakeets Chuck Liddell and his absolute eternal bitch Tito Ortiz are both alive and well. They are far smarter and thus harder to film for stupid bet predictions.

gently caress sake, circle right Wanderlei

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

Geno Petralli posted:

gently caress sake, circle right Wanderlei

Wanderlei the cockatiel is known to stubbornly bite down and wing it.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Ariza posted:

I'm assuming it's mostly due to White's Boston connections and the horrible Irish pride the assholes there have. There are more people in Minnesota than in Ireland.

Back off. The only people entitled to be annoyed at American's being proud of their Irish heritage are the Irish. St. "Patty's" day my arse.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

masato tatanka posted:

Wanderlei the cockatiel is known to stubbornly bite down and wing it.

She is also known to get really loving confused by the TV and startle herself into the drapes and awkwardly wark at me until I get her down.

I think Wandy might have a lot in common with her dumbass namesake.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

The population of Ireland is tiny, but the Irish diaspora is absolutely enormous.

That's right. Most people like the Irish, and mostly for their drunk-wit, and fighting spirit. Ergo an Irish guy with drunk-wit, who kicks the poo poo out of people has more marketability than most random UFC fighters.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I hope Conor beats the poo poo out of Brandao and gets his rear end kicked by TKZ in his next fight. That's the dream.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Lloyd Boner posted:

I hope Conor beats the poo poo out of Brandao and gets his rear end kicked by TKZ in his next fight. That's the dream.

I hope Conor wins, and avoids TKZ en route to the title, defeating only fighters I dislike, only to become a champion douchebag whereby TKZ defeats him with some crazy mixture of showtime kick and twister.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
genuinely great op, thanks agent tough juice + captain log

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Yuriy posted:

genuinely great op, thanks agent tough juice + captain log

Thanks, dude. Much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Agent Tough Juice posted:

Thanks, dude. Much appreciated.

Times a billion. It's nice to know this stuff makes someone chuckle.

• Locked thread