Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

despite all of what you've learned, you are gonna continue "backing up" data to these drives with a jumper-wired fuse on their control board?

to each their own, i guess. you get an elvis for detective work but a crocodile on "applying knowledge"

well considering i had no backup plan enacted, this will be an improvement. not only is it nice i am getting all my data back, but i'm also not out $600 worth of hard drives. i don't feel comfortable leaving in a fuse-bypassed hard drive plugged in 24/7, but i have no problem copying/pasting my important stuff to them a couple times per year and then leaving them in something like this the rest of the time:

it's a hard pill for me to swallow that every time i buy a hard drive i actually have to buy two (for the sake of backup) but this situation kind of took care of that for me.

Jonny 290 posted:

excellent fuckin' work. proud of ye

thanks pal

and extra thanks for that time a few years ago when you helped me with that FM transmitter that to this day still blasts music to every radio in my house

Helianthus Annuus posted:

/r implies /f

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/chkdsk

you didnt read it last time i sent it to you, but all you have to do is read the top section and the parameters you care about, its like 10 lines of text

did you run chkdsk /v yet? and see if NTFS still knows about your file?

or do you have to spend $$$ on a website's exe

sorry, it's not that i wasn't listening to you; it's just that drat near every chkdsk guide says to do /f and /r in the same command for some reason

i ran chkdsk /f /r on the drive that was cloned with dd in linux. after 18 hours it finally finished and it deleted practically everything on the drive except for my DS and WiiWare collection folders lol

so i did dd on the original 5th drive again and now with that duplicate drive i am running GetDataBack NTFS. it did some 2 minute scan of the drive and at first the only thing it could find was the DS and WiiWare folders, despite the fact that windows explorer was listening a ton of folders (i just couldn't access/enter them or any other files in root). so i messed with some settings and GetDataBack did some other deep scan of the drive that took like 30 hours and it looks like it found everything. it has now been copying all of the files to an empty new 8tb drive for over a day and it's only at 60%. it's gonna be another day before i find out if it got everything back

i've used GetDataBack before and often it will look like you got all your files back until you try to play an MP4, open a jpeg, or mount an ISO only to find out the file is all hosed up and doesn't really work well. i hope that isn't the case here. i am optimistic because these files were never deleted.

once it's done i will try doing chkdsk /v on the original drive. i'd rather "fix" or "un-corrupt" the drive than just hope that GetDataBack is giving me back my files 100% identical to their originals

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

despite all of what you've learned, you are gonna continue "backing up" data to these drives with a jumper-wired fuse on their control board?

to each their own, i guess. you get an elvis for detective work but a crocodile on "applying knowledge"

look buddy he replaced the fuse, it's just a 7 amp slow blow now. cool your jets

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
none of my 4tb WD drives died (only 8tb ones did) during this episode so it leads me to believe the 8tb white label WD drives just have some real wimpy fuses or somethin'

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

if the fuse failed and the rest of the drive lived, i'd call that a good fuse :)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
true.dat

the 8tb drives used 2A fuses. maybe the 4tb drives used 4A or somethin' (or no fuses at all :wth: )

entirely possible since i couldn't find a single post anywhere on the 'net where someone ever fixed a dead drive this way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
until now

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
yeah i'm hoping like 3 years from now someone is feverishly googling their dead hard drive issue and they come across my post and cry tears of joy that my instructions saved their family photos or something :unsmith:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

sorry, it's not that i wasn't listening to you; it's just that drat near every chkdsk guide says to do /f and /r in the same command for some reason

i ran chkdsk /f /r on the drive that was cloned with dd in linux. after 18 hours it finally finished and it deleted practically everything on the drive except for my DS and WiiWare collection folders lol

so i did dd on the original 5th drive again and now with that duplicate drive i am running GetDataBack NTFS. it did some 2 minute scan of the drive and at first the only thing it could find was the DS and WiiWare folders, despite the fact that windows explorer was listening a ton of folders (i just couldn't access/enter them or any other files in root). so i messed with some settings and GetDataBack did some other deep scan of the drive that took like 30 hours and it looks like it found everything. it has now been copying all of the files to an empty new 8tb drive for over a day and it's only at 60%. it's gonna be another day before i find out if it got everything back

i've used GetDataBack before and often it will look like you got all your files back until you try to play an MP4, open a jpeg, or mount an ISO only to find out the file is all hosed up and doesn't really work well. i hope that isn't the case here. i am optimistic because these files were never deleted.

once it's done i will try doing chkdsk /v on the original drive. i'd rather "fix" or "un-corrupt" the drive than just hope that GetDataBack is giving me back my files 100% identical to their originals

oh word you already tried chkdsk /f /r on the cloned drive, and it didnt work?

then chkdsk /v on the original is unlikely to tell you anything new, and i would suggest leaving the original drive unplugged

i hope GetDataBack NTFS works for you

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

remind me what we’re trying to save

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
ISP dns poo poo the bed again, what's a good dns server to use? trusting cloudflare and google rn but idk if that is the "best practice"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Quad9 is fast and provides filtering for malware domains if you want to throw in an extra layer of protection.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i have an odd situation. have a computer with a dying hard drive. have been able to get everything off it. however, there are thousands of emails the sent folder of an email in outlook 2010 that are not synced with o365. i cannot export them from outlook on the dying hard drive because i get the click of death. i was able to successfully extract the 50gb .ost file, but i cannot open it on another computer. every .ost reader i can find on google looks like its full of malware or some poo poo.

anyone ever had to deal with this?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Nice! posted:

i have an odd situation. have a computer with a dying hard drive. have been able to get everything off it. however, there are thousands of emails the sent folder of an email in outlook 2010 that are not synced with o365. i cannot export them from outlook on the dying hard drive because i get the click of death. i was able to successfully extract the 50gb .ost file, but i cannot open it on another computer. every .ost reader i can find on google looks like its full of malware or some poo poo.

anyone ever had to deal with this?

delete the emails

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

all ost readers look shady as gently caress, that's just par for the course; if you're without Acutal Forensic Software then that's still you best option

throw it in a VM with no network connectivity and let your data flow the spout

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Captain Foo posted:

delete the emails

unfortunately these are lawyer emails and things that i have to attempt to preserve.

flakeloaf posted:

all ost readers look shady as gently caress, that's just par for the course; if you're without Acutal Forensic Software then that's still you best option

throw it in a VM with no network connectivity and let your data flow the spout

that's pretty much what i thought.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Nice! posted:

unfortunately these are lawyer emails and things that i have to attempt to preserve.

that's pretty much what i thought.

lol get yourself a lawyer so when the data inevitably is garbage it’s not your rear end

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i think mr nice is a lawyer. or maybe was. or is just trying to escape law. something like that, lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i am a lawyer. i'm also my firm's it guy because its just me and two septuagenarians that are going to be retired in the next year so it doesn't make sense to spend a fortune on an msp.

i also just got a masters in finance because i can't get a law job that pays me worth a gently caress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

last msp wanted to charge us 3200 over two years to set up a $400 sonicwall and turn on automatic updates. i declined and bought a different firewall and set up the vpns myself.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 26, 2020

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

never agree to make old people happy with their computers for any amount of money, especially if those people do any job referred to as "practice"

for serious though, clicking drive that won't talk to you and has info locked in a weird format is a good reason to pay a grand or three to a data recovery company; they're way faster and more competent and if things couldn't be recovered they'll probably explain why. your time and sanity have value too

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
send the drive to chumbawumba imo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Lol yeah I just fixed the fifth one

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha right on

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i spent six hundred dollars on wd easystores after 8 rounds of THESE ARE THE RIGHT ONES RIGHT? and then as soon as i got them somebody was like :smuggo: "now time to shuck them and see what drives you got" which is the EXACT kind of mystery i was trying to avoid with the eight previous rounds of questioning

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

i spent six hundred dollars on wd easystores after 8 rounds of THESE ARE THE RIGHT ONES RIGHT? and then as soon as i got them somebody was like :smuggo: "now time to shuck them and see what drives you got" which is the EXACT kind of mystery i was trying to avoid with the eight previous rounds of questioning

I shucked a ton of them and 99% were WD white labels and one was red

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah i'm not hosed up about it but its still annoying

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

they should be EMAZ or EFAX white label reds, non-shingled tho?

im not aware of what guessing game there is

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i havent opened them yet and tbh i dont SUPER care but i wanted a fairly low touch setup. if i wanted to dork out about serial numbers and flops and iops and poo poo like that i would have Built A Home Server

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
looking at all my drives in device manager, 80% are EMAZ, and the other 20% are EZAZ

which are the good ones?

also you should buy those sata Y splitter things because they disable the 3.3V line, which is needed for these drives to spin in an internal desktop environment. i know you can just put kapton tape on the 3rd pin but i found that to virtually never work (once you cut it down to the perfect size it loses all stickiness)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

flakeloaf posted:

never agree to make old people happy with their computers for any amount of money, especially if those people do any job referred to as "practice"

for serious though, clicking drive that won't talk to you and has info locked in a weird format is a good reason to pay a grand or three to a data recovery company; they're way faster and more competent and if things couldn't be recovered they'll probably explain why. your time and sanity have value too

i've already got the .ost off the computer. getting into the .ost is the hard part. i might just contract it out to someone honestly because my personal level of care is minimal.

i'm only doing anything for them right now because it's a job while i'm jobhunting. there's not enough lawyer work to do so i do the computer work right now as well just to have something to do.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Lol yeah I just fixed the fifth one

did you recover the precious files?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i have a directory of movies that i want to serve to my lan with a really basic web interface

i feel like someone has surely already made a repo that I can just clone and point to the movie directory and have it serve the collection. I tried doing this with python simplehttpserver, but my phone is too stupid and kept trying to download the whole movie instead of just streaming and playing it on its own

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
why not just use plex?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

the last time i tried to use plex id used like a particular protocol that didn't work with anything in my house but that was ages ago so maybe it is different now, i'll check it out

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

oh its an app, i just wanted to be able to go to 192.168.0.69 and have a really basic website with thumbnails and a player, i dont like putting apps on my phone

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
last weekend i spent a bunch of time beating my dumb butt brain over trying to gin up basically an on-prem videoconference server, after a "movie night" last week got derailed by discord having an off night or something

i was thinking "gently caress it, i've got a hunnert megabits on my pipe, why in hell should i deal with greedy ol' discord or some other telecon service that'll probably start snitching out ~illicit~ copyrighted content when i can just push the data myself?"

and man maybe i've got a big box of bricks upstairs or maybe i'm just not doing good at the google search lately but i had a hell of a time finding anything. all of the streaming stuff seems to be based around "spin up a rotating playlist of HTTP chunks that will introduce several seconds of delay no matter what" and most of it also apparently still relies on decrepit old flash-based poo poo? and all the videocon stuff seems to just be ~cloud-hosted~ services.

like dang i just want to send a video stream and also have people be able to chat w/ each other while the video stream's going.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Corla Plankun posted:

oh its an app, i just wanted to be able to go to 192.168.0.69 and have a really basic website with thumbnails and a player, i dont like putting apps on my phone

In that case maybe you'll find something here? https://github.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted#video-streaming

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i'd just fire up a very basic http server

i used to run python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8000, but now i use this nodejs thing https://www.npmjs.com/package/http-server

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
hey chumba

Helianthus Annuus posted:

did you recover the precious files?

pls chk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

it's not exactly listing files in linux, it's just mentioning some SNES rom folder before making GBS threads itself and locking me out of the drive

i really appreciate your help; i think if i can somehow access the drive where i can delete a bunch of useless poo poo (i don't really need those SNES roms) i can hopefully get the drive to stop crashing whatever OS i plug it into (besides DOS)

or maybe like you said it's some sort of file system error but i have no idea how to fix those :sigh:

anyone here that can help me, i'd greatly appreciate it.

after you hit the error on linux, check `dmesg | tail -n100` (the last 100 lines of the kernel ring buffer) to find out exactly what poo poo itself

"input/output error" just means the kernel couldn't serve the request and something went horribly wrong

the question is what went wrong:
  • did the filesystem driver fail because it found garbage data?
  • is the disk failing to respond?
  • is the disk controller broken?

the ring buffer should have something for you to unpick the three situations