Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

well considering i had no backup plan enacted, this will be an improvement. not only is it nice i am getting all my data back, but i'm also not out $600 worth of hard drives. i don't feel comfortable leaving in a fuse-bypassed hard drive plugged in 24/7, but i have no problem copying/pasting my important stuff to them a couple times per year and then leaving them in something like this the rest of the time:

hard drives are not meant to be used as offline devices

a turned-off hard drive is potentially less reliable than a turned-on one, modulo factors like heat and vibration

if you need offline storage you need to buy storage designed to be offline storage e.g. tape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
btw this is where apple's time machine comes in handy. it's like a fully automated virtual tape device plus backup client, so you can use online storage as if it were offline, and just not think about it too much

you can recreate the same setup using bacula client/server, but it's a lot more effort

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hard drives are not meant to be used as offline devices

a turned-off hard drive is potentially less reliable than a turned-on one, modulo factors like heat and vibration

if you need offline storage you need to buy storage designed to be offline storage e.g. tape

Well now I have like 4 8tb drives and a couple 4tb drives stacked away on a shelf with my precious files on it. What would I do with them? Stack all 8 of em in some sort of enclosure? I'd use Time Machine but I don't use any Apple stuff at all except for an OG iPad Pro

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

after you hit the error on linux, check `dmesg | tail -n100` (the last 100 lines of the kernel ring buffer) to find out exactly what poo poo itself

"input/output error" just means the kernel couldn't serve the request and something went horribly wrong

the question is what went wrong:
  • did the filesystem driver fail because it found garbage data?
  • is the disk failing to respond?
  • is the disk controller broken?

the ring buffer should have something for you to unpick the three situations

Thanks for this but I gave up on trying to solve this in Linux. It just kept duplicating the crashing issue to any new drives. Definitely one of the more unique computer problems I've ever had.

What worked for me finally was following the advice in this thread and disabling automounting of new hard drives via disk part in Windows. When I plugged in the hosed up drive (either the original one or the newly created one in Linux), it stopped crashing Windows.

I ran check disk on the Linux-made drive and it deleted literally everything except some DS ROMs lol. I've never had check disk do that before.

So I took the original drive and scanned it with GetDataBack and all it found was the DS ROMS. I hosed with some options that I don't really recall in GetDataBack and it did some deep scan which took almost two days.

It found every single solitary file and dumped all of them to another 8tb drive I had. So far, I can't detect if any of them are corrupted in any way (I've had GetDataBack "find" deleted videos and pics for me in the past but most of the time they can't be opened). I still to this day have no clue what happened to this drive. I'm guessing repeat power failures while it was in use corrupted it somehow. But I have no idea how or why GetDataBack was able to get it back. It definitely wasn't a partition issue or anything like that.

The other four hard drives were all revived by soldering a small wire across a 5v fuse on the reverse side of the PCBs of all four hard drives' boards. Luckily I'm one of those OCD nuts with old video game picture quality and I've been modding game consoles since my SNES Mini in 2003 didn't have S-Video wired up.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

did you recover the precious files?

I did :)

I was able to recover everything across 5 different failed drives. And it included the family videos with my sister in them.

:unsmith:

also don't ever buy Antec power supplies

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Well now I have like 4 8tb drives and a couple 4tb drives stacked away on a shelf with my precious files on it. What would I do with them? Stack all 8 of em in some sort of enclosure? I'd use Time Machine but I don't use any Apple stuff at all except for an OG iPad Pro

yeah, you should get them all online in a RAID configuration in a NAS, and set up backup software. leaving them sitting on a shelf, there's a good chance they will be dead when you actually need them

on unix my go-to backup software is bacula, for both client and server. i have no idea what windows backup looks like because gently caress windows

as an alternative, online backup is a lot cheaper than it used to be, e.g. backblaze

I ran check disk on the Linux-made drive and it deleted literally everything except some DS ROMs lol. I've never had check disk do that before.

ntfs and linux is a bad time

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
windows 10 has this thing called File History that you can point at an internal drive, external drive, or nas

it's like a really lovely version of time machine but it works.

the lovely part is if you ever need to do a full restore from it google explicit instructions b/c it's honestly kinda confusing

alternatively just robocopy your poo poo every so often vOv

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

leaving them sitting on a shelf, there's a good chance they will be dead when you actually need them

hows that happen? cosmic rays, or?

i've got like a dozen or so hard drives in the closet going back to like 2003, and they all mounted ok when i check them earlier this year, even the IDE drives

i always thought you could just write the file multiple times on multiple devices, and you could be pretty sure at least one copy would survive.... unless someone blasts them all with a powerful electromagnet

aren't tapes also vulnerable to strong EM fields?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

I did :)

I was able to recover everything across 5 different failed drives. And it included the family videos with my sister in them.

:unsmith:

nice work! good job, chumba

be sure to send those files to other family members, so you're not the only one on the hook for preserving them

also don't ever buy Antec power supplies

not just antec. now's the time for a shitload of gaming PSUs to start failing

in previous decades, you would have to upgrade every couple years to play the new crysis on max or whatever, but now a gaming rig from 2015 can pump 60 fps at 1080p on the latest releases

so there are a lot of PSUs out there that have been used under heavy load for the entire duration of their life expectancies. and from what i've seen, its not common knowledge that PSUs are destined to fail eventually.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hows that happen? cosmic rays, or?

i've got like a dozen or so hard drives in the closet going back to like 2003, and they all mounted ok when i check them earlier this year, even the IDE drives

hard drives are full of moving parts and lubricants, which can stick or dry out

they're not designed to sit on a shelf, especially not in an uncontrolled environment. (for example a sealed EM baggie w/ the dessicant pack should be fine indefinitely)

aren't tapes also vulnerable to strong EM fields?

they must have been once upon a time, given the existence of magnetic tape erasers

practically speaking, though, tape stored in conditions comfortable for human beings will be good indefinitely

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hard drives are full of moving parts and lubricants, which can stick or dry out

right... they would need to be stored someplace airtight, otherwise the mechanisms are too expensive to repair

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they must have been once upon a time, given the existence of magnetic tape erasers

ok lets be clear: ALL tape backup systems use magnetic media. (unless you were talking about this thing lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_tape)

but check this out: backing up to paper appears to be possible without expensive specialized hardware: http://ollydbg.de/Paperbak

suppose you have a brother laser printer (70 bux) at home. if your video file is like 4gb, you could pay 30 bux in printer paper and maybe 100 - 150 bux in toner to archive your poo poo for future generations

(assuming have a place to store all this paper, and assuming you bought the good toner and paper for this, and assuming you dont melt your printer doing this)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

right... they would need to be stored someplace airtight, otherwise the mechanisms are too expensive to repair

fun fact, hard drives are not air tight, although one would expect them to be

ok lets be clear: ALL tape backup systems use magnetic media. (unless you were talking about this thing lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_tape)

yeah all tapes are magnetic, but coercivity has changed over the years. idk if a tape eraser would work on modern lto media

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tape media has similar problems to hard drives, the medium is very stable, but the tape drives themselves have lots of moving parts with belts, rollers, bearings, etc. Way more than a hard drive in fact. Those dry up over time just the same if not worse.

And since drive technology changes over the years, you need to keep the drive for reading the backups with the backups themselves, lest there not be a compatible reader available in the future. So you're still needing to store a mechanical device with the backups that is prone to aging and failure.

The difference of course is that you only need to have one working drive to be able to read all of your backups, whereas with hard drives each and every drive can fail, making those files lost. (Barring things like swapping platters and such.)

Then there is the fact that after a couple of decades the interface standard, encodings, file formats, etc will fall out of use and won't be supported by modern hardware and/or software anyway.

The only solution really so far is to keep "refreshing" your backups, transferring them to newer media every decade or so. When all the devices still work, and the older technology is still supported by modern machines.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I think you are all forgetting archival bluray :cool:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thinking about all those files from the 80s I wish I still had

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Files were so small back then just cut off random 2MB chunks of data fro a while and some of them will be your old files

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bobbilljim posted:

I think everyone did

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spankmeister posted:

Tape media has similar problems to hard drives, the medium is very stable, but the tape drives themselves have lots of moving parts with belts, rollers, bearings, etc. Way more than a hard drive in fact. Those dry up over time just the same if not worse.

And since drive technology changes over the years, you need to keep the drive for reading the backups with the backups themselves, lest there not be a compatible reader available in the future. So you're still needing to store a mechanical device with the backups that is prone to aging and failure.

The difference of course is that you only need to have one working drive to be able to read all of your backups, whereas with hard drives each and every drive can fail, making those files lost. (Barring things like swapping platters and such.)

Then there is the fact that after a couple of decades the interface standard, encodings, file formats, etc will fall out of use and won't be supported by modern hardware and/or software anyway.

The only solution really so far is to keep "refreshing" your backups, transferring them to newer media every decade or so. When all the devices still work, and the older technology is still supported by modern machines.

lto is backwards compatible, so you can read all your tapes going back to year 2000

before that, dlt was backwards compatible, so your final-generation drive in 2010 could handily read tapes from a 1980s DEC "TK" tape drive

so yeah, this is a problem, but on a timescale of multiple decades. you'll need to refresh your backups approximately once every 25 years

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

fun fact, hard drives are not air tight, although one would expect them to be

hang on, aren't modern hard drives filled with helium? they must be better than airtight

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think only the really super fast ones are filled with helium. consumer hard drives use air bearings and have a little port somewhere with a filter over it to admit air into the housing.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

putting an enterprise grade HD in my laptop so it weighs less

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Jenny Agutter posted:

putting an enterprise grade HD in my laptop so it weighs less

feels like I'm spinning nothing at all!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

helium is a type of air

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hifi posted:

helium is a type of air

actually helium is from the sun and thus a type of fire.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

bobbilljim posted:

is this a real thing? because ALL of my backups to optical media are toast lol (this would be stuff from like 2003)

but the HDDs from that era are still OK :shrug:

bobbilljim posted:

Files were so small back then just cut off random 2MB chunks of data fro a while and some of them will be your old files

i was wondering about this:

suppose you recovered 95% of a video file. are there techniques to "brute force" interpolation of the missing data? maybe with an automated "test" for the resulting file, like checking each reconstruction attempt to make sure the video plays without errors or whatever?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

i think only the really super fast ones are filled with helium. consumer hard drives use air bearings and have a little port somewhere with a filter over it to admit air into the housing.

i don't think it was "super fast" ones so much as the really high capacity ones where they're stacking like seven or eight platters in a single unit.

i don't think anyone's even making 15K rpm drives any more, there's really no need for them now that SSDs are a thing. are new 10K drives even still a thing? i don't know.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

is this a real thing? because ALL of my backups to optical media are toast lol (this would be stuff from like 2003)

but the HDDs from that era are still OK :shrug:

i was wondering about this:

suppose you recovered 95% of a video file. are there techniques to "brute force" interpolation of the missing data? maybe with an automated "test" for the resulting file, like checking each reconstruction attempt to make sure the video plays without errors or whatever?

1. yes https://www.zdnet.com/article/blu-ray-archiving-for-the-enterprise/

2. try different video players first, vlc, mpc-hc, smplayer, windows media player etc sometimes one "works" where another doesnt. I think you could not do much better than random guessing trying to fill in the blanks due to the way video is encoded but seems like there are some writeups about it online so can;t hurt to try them on a copy of the file

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

spankmeister posted:

Tape media has similar problems to hard drives, the medium is very stable*

*if you are controlling for temp/humidity.

ask me about the time I was asked to restore critical infrastructure servers from tapes stored in an "archive" room with no hvac that would hit 95F+/100%RH all summer long. that poo poo will degrade fast

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i don't think it was "super fast" ones so much as the really high capacity ones where they're stacking like seven or eight platters in a single unit.

i don't think anyone's even making 15K rpm drives any more, there's really no need for them now that SSDs are a thing. are new 10K drives even still a thing? i don't know.

yeah, 10k sas is still a thing. tlc and now qlc read-optimized ssds can now beat their price point, but the write speed is garbo and there are workloads with large, consistent write IO that are more cost effective to run on 10k still compared to the mixed use mlc ssds that are much more expensive

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I feel like this thread or its predecessors was where someone mentioned pfatt, a pfsense script that used netgraph to bypass the AT&T provided CPE so you could use your own hardware from the ONT.

Well it's 2020 now and apparently you can downgrade the firmware on the AT&T CPE and throw some query params at it, get a shell, and extract the device's certs so you can use wpa_supplicant to do EAP directly and get that stupid AT&T box off of your network.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

hey chumba

pls chkdsk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is there some software that would let me basically do what a chromecast does but over hdmi?

i have a long hdmi cable to run from my computer to my tv and i would like to be able to "stream" youtube videos and netflix and whatnot from my computer. but i don't want the tv to extend or mirror my display since it's a different resolution and in another room. doing it with a chromecast over wifi seems stupid when i have the cable right here.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

is there some software that would let me basically do what a chromecast does but over hdmi?

i have a long hdmi cable to run from my computer to my tv and i would like to be able to "stream" youtube videos and netflix and whatnot from my computer. but i don't want the tv to extend or mirror my display since it's a different resolution and in another room. doing it with a chromecast over wifi seems stupid when i have the cable right here.

do you have a 2nd video card? or maybe you are using a video care on a motherboard with integrated video?

if you have a 2nd video output device, and your CPU has VT-D, you might be able to do with with a VM

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Why not extend and run something like Kodi on that desktop?

But anything will be janky. Just get a Chromecast imo.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

you want to output video from your computer to the tv, but without extending or mirroring. that leaves disabling the primary display and setting your computer to only output to the tv. but it seems you are asking for some mysterious voodoo whereby youtube and and poo poo gets to your tv over hdmi but not like a second display??

i get the gist of what you're feeling, why get another device when a perfectly good one is RIGHT THERE but seriously a second device is the answer here. chromecast, nvidia shield, another pc, whatever.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
use an hdmi switch to alternate two monitors

though extended monitors of different resolutions is fine with win10 in my experience

i say just get a roku or appletv tho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ok, alternate question. is there a way to temporarily lock the cursor so it doesn't go off the edge of the screen, and then toggle it back when needed?

basically if i have the screen extended to another room i don't want the cursor to disappear from my main monitor except when i want it to, and i can't mirror really because the screens are two different aspect ratios

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
In windows you can set your display settings so that the edges “connecting” your monitors touch anywhere you like.

so you can set the monitors in such a way that only the corners are touching which should prevent you from rolling over by accident

I hope that made sense

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that is a neat idea. cool.

i also found a little utility that lets me lock the cursor to not cross to another monitor except when a hotkey is pressed, so that ought to work great.

thanks all

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Win+P shortcut might be simple and work well enough depending on your exact use case.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

this is so funny because back in the day i absolutely refused to get a directx 9 or 10 video card (i forgot which one they disabled it in) because i used to do this very thing with my old rear end setup in the early 2000s.

basically if you had a video card with tv-outputs on it (most common was s-video), your TV would act like a second display, but for videos only. so if you had the TV connected, and you double clicked a video file, it would play on the TV. even cooler was if you simply visited a website that had a video embedded in it, it would play the video in full screen on the TV, even if the video player in the website didn't have a full screen option. it left you to do whatever you wanted to on your PC while the TV strictly handled video files

i believe they got rid of it for some idiotic copyright reasons. i remembered being so incredibly pissed. this had to be like 2003 or so

sorry for the derail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

So, following instructions from the laptop vendor's support, I reinstalled Windows. The pen is not shown in Device Manager at all, not even as a hidden device.

There are no drivers available for the pen at the support site. It is an Acer Active Stylus, so the manufacturer's own solution and not eg. something by Wacom.

How do I get Windows to detect & install the pen as a HID?