Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I touch video streaming code professionally every day and my expert opinion is that it's hosed, jim

could be any layer really, there's so many weird things that go wrong with video stream playback

switching to linux would probably help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
:mods:

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Private Speech posted:

Did you just tell me to eat poo poo and die?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Private Speech posted:

I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

okay this one has me stumped

i got a sarnsung chomebook that i use as a tv. today i started seeing a bunch (i guess?) of videos with MASSIVE CONSTANT ARTIFACTING and other assorted hardcore MPEG decode errors

specifically it appears that every episode of community and squid game on netflix and the latest episode of a PBS physics youtube show (every quality option, to boot) are affected:

https://twitter.com/odnoyabr/status/1441198843857494017

https://twitter.com/odnoyabr/status/1441193841923481600

but unaffected videos are completely fine. hadn't watched any of these before so idk if this is a new thing on this machine. the limited memory and cpu self-tests on chomeos say everything is fine. the same videos play fine on other machines, and if i youtube-dl the PBS vid and play it from elsewhere, it's fine. problem persists across reboots.

how the gently caress? i'd think some sort of gpu failure would cause issues with everything, not just like 30-50 specific videos

is there some bizarre hardware issue that'd explain this? am i maybe the recipient of some particularly and weirdly borked chome A/B test code?

I would assume sort of gpu or cpu overheating issue.

Not to poo poo on your purchase or anything but I've never met a single person who had a Samsung TV that didn't have it break on them. Meanwhile my Pioneer TV from 2006 still works flawlessly.

My neighbor had a Samsung refrigerator and Samsung oven both break in under a year. He was sitting in his living room one day and the oven literally loving exploded. The oven wasn't even on, the glass just randomly blew out somehow.

Have you tried using a fire stick or something like that instead of the internal Samsung apps so you can rule that out?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Also try a different hdmi cable if you are already using an external device for streaming.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 25, 2021

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Broken Machine posted:

probably you will have to phone them and have them take care of it, but they should carry over the license. maybe they can do that over whatever chat support thing now. if you don't actually have access to the key i'm not sure but probably they would help you. alternately there is someone selling legit keys on sa mart for not much

i don't think you even talk to a person when you do phone activation, pretty sure it's all automated. or at least that's what i remember from the one time i had to do it. no big deal

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i don't think you even talk to a person when you do phone activation, pretty sure it's all automated. or at least that's what i remember from the one time i had to do it. no big deal

this is how it was for me, yea

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I would assume sort of gpu or cpu overheating issue.

Not to poo poo on your purchase or anything but I've never met a single person who had a Samsung TV that didn't have it break on them. Meanwhile my Pioneer TV from 2006 still works flawlessly.

My neighbor had a Samsung refrigerator and Samsung oven both break in under a year. He was sitting in his living room one day and the oven literally loving exploded. The oven wasn't even on, the glass just randomly blew out somehow.

Have you tried using a fire stick or something like that instead of the internal Samsung apps so you can rule that out?

i think as a tv means as a viewing device, since its a chromebook. regardless, the distortion isn't happening on the captioning, so it doesn't look like a video signal issue

anecdotally, i have my old samsung tv in our den running fine and that's push at a decade, but it wasn't a cheapo model so that probably helps. it existed right between smart tv apps and when they still put a million different ports on tvs, which is golden for lazily connecting a pile of old consoles and an apple tv for streaming

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've had a Samsung TV since 2009 and it still works. It would appear forums poster Chumbawumba4ever97 is basing their opinion on incomplete data.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol our house came with a full suite of pretty new samsung appliances - fridge, microwave, dishwasher, washer, dryer, etc. long story short i will never in my life buy a samsung appliance

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah, a chaebol house sounds like a terrible idea. bundle purchasing a microwave to match the tv probably appeals to someone but not to me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok. i have a debian server box that i use for random poo poo.

it has Cockpit installed which i like. It allowed me to deploy a couple of VMs:

A: I'm not quite sure what the backend behind this is. qemu?

B: I would like to set it up so that I can directly VNC into each VM, instead of having to load the Cockpit page and then use the console in that. I know it's possible, but I'm not sure what to tweak.

Thank you blessed nerds for any help you can provide.

e: i would also like to be able to assign ip's off my actual LAN block (10.0.3.0/24) instead of 192.168.puke.garbage as is default. I think I need to put them on either the br0 or virbr0 network for this?

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 27, 2021

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

video person can you check the codec of the files that are making GBS threads the bed? netflix has some key combination that will show you all the debugging info

for eg if it is x265 and your GPU doesn’t have native support it might be pegging your CPU and heating poo poo up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
posting b/c i'm avoiding a future problem

nvme coolers are just so :3:

I have a suspicion that i blew my first drive up by running it without one so this RMA replacement is gettin' it from byte 1 (and my two others got fitted with them too)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1444398103214264322

it clears the side panel by, i measured, 2mm

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah that’s a common problem, in particular with that noctua model, due modern ~gaming ram~ leds and heatsinks cutting into vertical clearance. ive got a full atx case and the ram side fan of my d15 is almost kissing the door, because gskills are way too tall

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

mushkin has nice fast ram that is also low-profile, available in both 🌈 and non-🌈

i recently picked up this cool, heavy, completely passively cooled jetway. it has one nvme, but it also has a pcie x4, and i think i can use that to add a second nvme to it. just got the cable i'll need for that today in fact

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah. i had to do the 120mm one for my actual computer and it also has 2-3mm clearance between heatpipe top and the side of that dumb rear end glass side window. kinda funny my plex box has a bigger cooler than my ryzen but whateverrrrrrr. It definitely keeps it nice temps even though (AS I JUST DISCOVERED TODAY) i installed the rear fan backwards years ago so the poor loving thing has been yeeting 100% of its heat out of the PSU. Better now though. Although i am tempted to grab the dremel and hog out this case for 92's or 120s - but people have yelled at me to not molest a clean PC60, and i kinda agree

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to fix a Compaq "laptop" from 1987 (it has a crt built in and cannot run on batteries).

It doesn't turn on but I can tell one of the capacitors was literally burnt, as in was on fire at some point.

Anyways here is the replacement

Which side is the positive side? I'm assuming the right side but I just want to be sure. I'm used to there being longer and shorter legs to determine that but this thing's legs are identical in size.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

I'm trying to fix a Compaq "laptop" from 1987 (it has a crt built in and cannot run on batteries).

It doesn't turn on but I can tell one of the capacitors was literally burnt, as in was on fire at some point.

Which side is the positive side? I'm assuming the right side but I just want to be sure. I'm used to there being longer and shorter legs to determine that but this thing's legs are identical in size.

look under the "25k" on the right -- there's a + sign there, so the right leg is positive.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SporkOfTruth posted:

look under the "25k" on the right -- there's a + sign there, so the right leg is positive.

Yeah I didn't know if that was just telling you lower or upper limits or something.

I was pretty sure right is positive but wanted to be sure.

I also see a burnt voltage regulator thing

U7 and C13 are what I'm replacing.

Here's the voltage regulator I got (in the packaging on the left)

The burnt one says Texas Instruments 8614 but my replacement says Texas Instruments 404XB.
However, they both say UA79M12C so I'm hoping that's the important part and they are compatible?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

should be fine

are you replacing the 7812 that I'm assuming is next to it?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

those tantalum caps have a tendency to fail spectacularly like that btw, you might want to consider replacing all of those yellow droplet looking guys

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

should be fine

are you replacing the 7812 that I'm assuming is next to it?

I'm not because I don't see any burn marks on that one. And also apparently you can only buy these things in quantities of 50 so I really didn't want to buy parts I didn't 100% need.

spankmeister posted:

those tantalum caps have a tendency to fail spectacularly like that btw, you might want to consider replacing all of those yellow droplet looking guys

Yeah they're all different specs and I had to pay 7 dollars for this single capacitor so I'm basically at the point where I am only replacing ones that literally have scorch marks on them lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
doublecheck that you do or don't need a mica shim and insulating washer to float the tab above whatever the heatsink voltage is. sometimes its necessary

e: also feel free to PM me if you need anything else. I literally bought an entire avionics company on craigslist and own one million capacitors, resistors and voltage regulators. that is not hyperbole

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

7 dollars holy moly you got shafted bigtime

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

someone sold you a jelly bean, op. sorry you got ripped off.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

doublecheck that you do or don't need a mica shim and insulating washer to float the tab above whatever the heatsink voltage is. sometimes its necessary

e: also feel free to PM me if you need anything else. I literally bought an entire avionics company on craigslist and own one million capacitors, resistors and voltage regulators. that is not hyperbole

That's extremely kind of you.

It's a Compaq Portable II from I believe 1986. It's my friend's dad's first computer and he's very sick and we're trying to get this up and running as a surprise.

I just soldered in the new voltage regulator and capacitor and it no longer smokes when turning it on. Another bonus is the caps lock light turns on for a second but then goes back off.

It's definitely something with the power supply. It makes a quick high pitched squeal, then it stops, and then it squeals again, then stops. Over and over and over. The fan never turns on (it's directly connected to the PSU) so my guess is something on the PSU is bad but I can't figure out what.

Here's a pic of the PSU

Other than the one capacitor that was burnt to a crisp and the voltage regulator that looked like it might have burned up I can't see anything wrong or any other parts I should be looking at desoldering and soldering in.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

I literally bought an entire avionics company on craigslist and own one million capacitors, resistors and voltage regulators. that is not hyperbole

:chanpop:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1219027271916240896

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

This is the multimeter I own. I take it this cheap piece of crap doesn't have the capabilities of testing capacitors?

I am of course assuming bad caps on the power supply is my issue, which I am not even sure of in the first place.

spankmeister posted:

7 dollars holy moly you got shafted bigtime

Yeah I know but there's not many options when you need just one. In fact when I searched for the one I needed on ebay, literally one result came up. $2 plus $5 shipping.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it'll tell you if a cap's failed short but real capacitance testers work by generating an RF signal with a known level and adding an inductor inside the meter, and then seeing where the internal L and external C resonate. LC meters are actually kind of finicky.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thanks I was hoping I could find out some more

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i pushed some code at work today and brought down 3 major applications for about 6 hours. it made the news and stuff, quite major

i guess im asking, how do I do bgp without loving it up

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Hard to diagnose in circuit anyways. I would check the specs of the power supply, you could maybe find some modules on aliexpress that supply the required rails and replace the whole thing if all else fails.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

it'll tell you if a cap's failed short but real capacitance testers work by generating an RF signal with a known level and adding an inductor inside the meter, and then seeing where the internal L and external C resonate. LC meters are actually kind of finicky.

It's the part I circled in yellow. It makes direct contact with the motherboard so unfortunately I think I am stuck trying to fix this thing.

Jonny 290 posted:

Do you have any recommendation on an all-in-one multimeter (that reads volts, amps, resistance, etc that also detects bad caps?)?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

outlook 365 is driving me crazy. they have these dumb loving autosuggestions which i disabled because they are never what i want to type. even with the auto suggestions disabled, outlook still tries to fill in an extra word or two for me like so:

i started typing let me test. as soon as i hit the t in test, it pops up "tell you" after it. i want to disable this behavior. anyone know how? i've already turned off 'show autocomplete suggestions' in the advanced settings of the mail editor options. this is something else in outlook, and i don't know how to disable it.

i just tried changing another setting in autocorrect that had an autocomplete option to see if that was it, but alas it was not. in the next email, i started typing 'let me test' again, but didn't even make it to the word test. outlook this time tried to add 'let me know if you' after i finished typing me.

this is loving frustrating because i watch what i type as i type things and it fucks up my train of thought.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The cord for my work laptop's dock died on Friday and 2.5 days of trying to do CAD/Excel/look at drawings on a 17" laptop screen is starting to do my head in.

The ticket status is still "New", and I've been chastised in the past for both chasing and not chasing IT so.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i have probably bought several monitor cables over the last decade for various desk and laptop setups at work because ordering a 'mac cable' (anything not vga like dvi, hdmi, etc.) was a weeks-long process

when i went into the office i used to collect any spares from new setups for wayward coworkers to avoid the ordering bureaucracy