Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Broken Machine posted:

could you just not bother, and filter those mails?

it’s for an automated workflow that I’ll need to use for multiple web surveys so that complaints are automatically forwarded to the responsible party.

bobbilljim posted:

Are users directly putting things in the db?? i feel like u would do this sort of thing on the app level

public-facing web form thingies for stuff like reporting traffic signal issues and whatnot. the response data goes right into our data lake for future analysis/cross-application integration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’ll also soon be teaching myself powerapps though because we do need a safe db frontend for simple data entry

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I’m drowning in the data lake

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i unironically wish i was.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i have a chromebook that's developed a weird intermittent wlan issue. seemingly at random, the machine will complete drop off the face of L2 on up--won't respond to ping or arping from the gateway, no more packets sent--but the UI still shows it's connected to the network fine. doesn't resolve unless i disconnect and reconnect. happens on both the 2.4G and 5G networks. anything that would typically cause that sort of behavior?

if i start wireshark on another machine in monitor mode, i don't see anything that looks interesting, but idk what i should really look for in monitor mode. filtering on packets to or from the problem device MAC doesn't show much at all--I only see a couple 802.11 probe requests from it to broadcast, even though it's actively receiving traffic. any reason i wouldn't be seeing other frames between it and the AP?

edit: okay i needed to tell airmon to use the right channel, but still don't see anything of obvious interest. 802.11 frames keep going after the issue starts, and they don't look obviously different from before

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 10, 2022

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
is there a good rackmount NAS (1u or 2u) that takes m.2 drives

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
not really unless you want to get into 110 dB enterprise stuff and even then they're density limited due to heat

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i only need ~2tb of storage so i just wanted something fast as possible but i guess it makes sense to go with sata for now

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

my QNAP TS-h886 (6x3.5" and 2x2.5") has two M.2 sockets, they prolly have smaller models which also have M.2 sockets

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

how tf do i make it so that the wifi on my laptop doesn't disconnect when i connect the ethernet? ive made sure the auto-disable option isnt enabled in the BIOS and tried some windows connection manager settings but no dice. i just want to be able to configure some network gear without losing my internet access

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don’t know I’d like to figure it out though.

I had a similar problem I posted about in the greys maybe one of their suggestions will work for you, they didn’t do anything for me: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971625&perpage=40&noseen=1&userid=52140#post526635808

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

how tf do i make it so that the wifi on my laptop doesn't disconnect when i connect the ethernet? ive made sure the auto-disable option isnt enabled in the BIOS and tried some windows connection manager settings but no dice. i just want to be able to configure some network gear without losing my internet access

windows or linux?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

question: friend has a custom built computer with an lga1155 that the cpu fan died on. i have some working heatsink/fan combos out of dells with similar processors. the heatsinks have the exact same radius and hole alignment. the dead one, though, is connected via the push pins while the dell ones were screwed in. the screws fit standard mobo standoffs.

my initial thought is just put four standoffs on the other side of the mobo pushpin holes and just screw them in that way. am i doing anything stupid by doing this?

e: on second thought i just bought a refurb for $15 off of newegg since i don't have the backplate.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 13, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you ended up doing the correct move. loving about with the pressures needed to securely seat modern coolers runs a high risk of cracking traces or power planes inside the board. backplates are essential

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Tankakern posted:

windows or linux?

win11. ironically i'd probably be able to easily fix it on linux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its probably not disconnecting from the wifi, its just trying to send stuff out the ethernet cause ethernet generally gets a lower automatic interface metric

Set your ethernet interface metric to like 200 and the wifi to 100 and it should keep using the wifi when the ethernet is connected. its probably supposed to be using internet accessibility as part of its automatic interface metric and thats the part thats busted.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to help a volunteer orginsation (a pharmacist union thing) with their wordpres website thing

the only thing it really needs to be is be an about page, and also have a form so people can express interest in joining

it currently uses forminator and it works.. except well it stopped working. it just no longer sends the completed forms to the email address

I added my personal email address and then set up an automatic forward from mine to the one it's meant to go to

and that worked for a while and then that stopped.

I can't for the life of me work out why they're not sending.

is it possible because the PHP version is 7.3.33 not 7.4??

OR maybe someone knows of a wordpress plugin that does forms which is an alternative to forminator but is not forminator

imma back it up and update php and see if tht fixes it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

win11. ironically i'd probably be able to easily fix it on linux

wifi drivers often have builtin support for enabling/disabling cabled ethernet connections when disconnecting/connecting to a wifi

Tankakern fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 14, 2022

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

OR maybe someone knows of a wordpress plugin that does forms which is an alternative to forminator but is not forminator

can you use a google form instead and spare yourself the headache?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

is it possible because the PHP version is 7.3.33 not 7.4??

why would the PHP version matter? you're cargo culting this. it's likely just ending up in your spam folder or summat. check your webserver and mailserver logs to see if the emails are making it out of the server in the first place and go from there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Quebec Bagnet posted:

can you use a google form instead and spare yourself the headache?

maybe this good idea

spankmeister posted:

why would the PHP version matter? you're cargo culting this. it's likely just ending up in your spam folder or summat. check your webserver and mailserver logs to see if the emails are making it out of the server in the first place and go from there

what’s cargo culting mean

I’ll see if I can find mailswrver logs. I haven’t done this poo poo before

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"cargo cults" mainly arose in the pacific islands in the aftermath of world war ii. islanders observed the military operations, and the arrival of "cargo" and its bounty of food, clothing and other advanced technology. once the war ended, the cults imitated the military operations, in the hopes of summoning more cargo to provide them with riches.

in modern use, it refers to doing stuff to solve a problem without any understanding of the problem or why the actions you're taking will supposedly help solve it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

its probably not disconnecting from the wifi, its just trying to send stuff out the ethernet cause ethernet generally gets a lower automatic interface metric

Set your ethernet interface metric to like 200 and the wifi to 100 and it should keep using the wifi when the ethernet is connected. its probably supposed to be using internet accessibility as part of its automatic interface metric and thats the part thats busted.

nope it actually disconnects from the SSID when i connect the ethernet and then refuses to reconnect to any SSID whilst the ethernet is still connected.

Tankakern posted:

wifi drivers often have builtin support for enabling/disabling cabled ethernet connections when disconnecting/connecting to a wifi

that option doesn't appear for me but there's an equivalent setting in the BIOS that i already disabled with no effect.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
is there a specific reason you need to hook it directly to the computer? cant you either sniff out the auto assigned dhcp or add a subnet or something on your router and then just plug it into the switch? idk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jabor posted:

"cargo cults" mainly arose in the pacific islands in the aftermath of world war ii. islanders observed the military operations, and the arrival of "cargo" and its bounty of food, clothing and other advanced technology. once the war ended, the cults imitated the military operations, in the hopes of summoning more cargo to provide them with riches.

in modern use, it refers to doing stuff to solve a problem without any understanding of the problem or why the actions you're taking will supposedly help solve it.

that’s interesting thanks

and also accurate lmao

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

is there a specific reason you need to hook it directly to the computer? cant you either sniff out the auto assigned dhcp or add a subnet or something on your router and then just plug it into the switch? idk

at work my laptop connects to the corp network via wifi. ive got a bunch of fortinet devices that i need to configure which id like to do via their web interface so i want to just hook up via ethernet from my laptop with a static IP on either end. this works fine except for the fact that when i connect the ethernet my wifi disconnects so lose connectivity to the corp network and the internet.

it's just an annoyance really not a showstopper.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

nope it actually disconnects from the SSID when i connect the ethernet and then refuses to reconnect to any SSID whilst the ethernet is still connected.

that option doesn't appear for me but there's an equivalent setting in the BIOS that i already disabled with no effect.

bummer. must be some wierd driver thing or something

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah probably. it's a lenovo X1 where the ethernet port comes as a separate cable that you have to plugin to the laptop maybe that's got something to do with it idk. also 802.1x has been broken since i upgraded it to win11 so i can't connect to the corp network via the ethernet either.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
win11 seems to be bad. maybe go back to windows 10

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Shaggar posted:

win11 seems to be bad. maybe go back to linux

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

I installed an email logger plugin and discovered the emails are leaving but not arriving

but this lead me to discover the website was setup with the admin email as secretary@whatever and that email has been deleted from existence so I suspect the whole problem has been lack of delivery due to the sender email not existing. and currently can’t even change what that email for the same reason, but I’ve got the person who pays the bills to set the email back up so hopefully that means I can change that admin email and then hopefully it works after that

thanks spanky for the hot tip

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

yeah probably. it's a lenovo X1 where the ethernet port comes as a separate cable that you have to plugin to the laptop maybe that's got something to do with it idk. also 802.1x has been broken since i upgraded it to win11 so i can't connect to the corp network via the ethernet either.

mines an X1 too. I can force click on to WiFi to be on both simultaneously but it will never do that on its own. I’m using the Lenovo thunderbolt 4 dock (garbage) as Ethernet as well.

I could probably script something using netsh if I took the time to learn powershell

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Pile Of Garbage posted:

at work my laptop connects to the corp network via wifi. ive got a bunch of fortinet devices that i need to configure which id like to do via their web interface so i want to just hook up via ethernet from my laptop with a static IP on either end. this works fine except for the fact that when i connect the ethernet my wifi disconnects so lose connectivity to the corp network and the internet.

it's just an annoyance really not a showstopper.

it looks like usb ethernet adapters are pretty cheap and might get around the issue of weird lenovo drivers being bad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

linux would be even worse

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Hed posted:

mines an X1 too. I can force click on to WiFi to be on both simultaneously but it will never do that on its own. I’m using the Lenovo thunderbolt 4 dock (garbage) as Ethernet as well.

I could probably script something using netsh if I took the time to learn powershell

i did some more fuckin around today and the issue is that IT have group policy configured so that secondary network connections are blocked when you're connected to the domain network. on top of that windows connection manager preferences ethernet over wifi so if i try to connect the wiif whilst the ethernet is connected it will connect briefly and then disconnect with the "no multiple network connections when on domain network" error.

i ended up just giving up.

Corla Plankun posted:

it looks like usb ethernet adapters are pretty cheap and might get around the issue of weird lenovo drivers being bad.

the X1 comes with a proprietary ethernet adapter that connects via what looks like a 1394 port but isn't. despite the weird port i'm pretty sure it's just USB.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i did some more fuckin around today and the issue is that IT have group policy configured so that secondary network connections are blocked when you're connected to the domain network. on top of that windows connection manager preferences ethernet over wifi so if i try to connect the wiif whilst the ethernet is connected it will connect briefly and then disconnect with the "no multiple network connections when on domain network" error.

the windows preference is configurable though. but i expect the policy working as intended will get you to the same place, the normal behavior afaik is both connections being alive and the preferred being routed first.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

very sane group policy though, good work it

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

my in-laws have done something profoundly stupid; as in, by the time I had intervened, they were on a screen-sharing session with a scammer while logged into internet banking and paypal.

I brought over my laptop and had them change passwords for everything on that device, as well as their passwords which are similar on other sites, but now I have their PC here (not backed up, obvii) and need to try to make it "safe" again.

What's the go-to toolset for this scenario (other than a large body of water, into which I throw the box)? Time was you used Bitdefender but IDK if it's still being actively maintained...?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

backup files, flatten, move only things obviously safe back on the fresh install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
install your own screen sharing app and kick yourself a hundo or two now and then. they gotta learn their lesson