Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

probably

don't rent a server unless it's generating revenue

put your static files on s3 because it's stupid cheap, and put your dumb apps that nobody will use on heroku because it's free

Did not know about heroku. Looks like a better idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

itunes refuses to do anything saying error connection refused piece of poo poo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i have a RT-AC68U (asus) router and the 5ghz range does not get to the 2nd floor of my home

how do i get the 5ghz to the second floor of my home

external antennas? (the RT-AC68U has removable antennae)

some sort of 5ghz bridge or something?

i would prefer a solution where everything is on one SSID (i guess this would be the "bigger antenna" option) but it's not 1000% necessary

please help google is useless for this for some reason

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

5ghz doesn't go through floors and walls well just leave 2.4 on in parallel and devices will automatically jump over if the signal goes to poo poo

if you aren't happy with that then get one of those powerline networking things and get your router up on the second floor

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

5ghz doesn't go through floors and walls well just leave 2.4 on in parallel and devices will automatically jump over if the signal goes to poo poo

if you aren't happy with that then get one of those powerline networking things and get your router up on the second floor

thanks but the powerline networking thing wouldn't do anything for me because i actually already have ethernet going up to the 2nd floor, i just want the router in the basement for several reasons (fios coming into my house via ethernet, not coaxial, so i need to have my router near the fios ONT box; also i'd still want good 5ghz range in my basement/2nd floor/backyard).

i didn't know if there was some wacky powered antenna i could buy and tap it into the terminal on the router, or something i could place on the 2nd floor that would send out a 5ghz signal while not having to switch SSIDs and stuff

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

i didn't know if there was some wacky powered antenna i could buy and tap it into the terminal on the router, or something i could place on the 2nd floor that would send out a 5ghz signal while not having to switch SSIDs and stuff

yeah it's called get a second AP or a router set to AP mode, give it the same SSID and password

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

thanks but the powerline networking thing wouldn't do anything for me because i actually already have ethernet going up to the 2nd floor, i just want the router in the basement for several reasons (fios coming into my house via ethernet, not coaxial, so i need to have my router near the fios ONT box; also i'd still want good 5ghz range in my basement/2nd floor/backyard).

i have ethernet running up to the second floor of my house as well and what i do is run ethernet from the fios box up to the wireless router on the second floor and then a separate line from the same router back down into a gig-e switch in the basement

works for me

e:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah it's called get a second AP or a router set to AP mode, give it the same SSID and password

yeah this would also work, I know people that swear by these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XXMUCQ/

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 29, 2014

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Glass posted:

i have ethernet running up to the second floor of my house as well and what i do is run ethernet from the fios box up to the wireless router on the second floor and then a separate line from the same router back down into a gig-e switch in the basement

ty; it's a good idea and i could do that then the 5ghz signal would be poor on the first floor/basement/backyard tho. thank you though :shobon:

Mr. Glass posted:

yeah this would also work, I know people that swear by these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XXMUCQ/

it's 2.4ghz only :\

Cocoa Crispies posted:

haha i had no idea that works (the "set the same SSID and password" thing)

is there a recommended AP around here? especially one that won't bottleneck this freakin $220 router?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

ty; it's a good idea and i could do that then the 5ghz signal would be poor on the first floor/basement/backyard tho. thank you though :shobon:

yeah, depends on where you need it most i guess. i don't have a finished basement so i don't need as much range. putting the AP on the second floor made the most sense for a 3 story house

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

it's 2.4ghz only :\

haha i had no idea that works (the "set the same SSID and password" thing)

is there a recommended AP around here? especially one that won't bottleneck this freakin $220 router?

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
is there a compelling reason you're insisting on 5ghz? are you trying to blanket your entire house with 802.11ac?

unifi makes an ac AP but it's really expensive. personally i would put your existing router in the most central location where you actually need the speed and get a unifi or two to fill in the gaps around the edges (they support 802.11n so they're not exceedingly slow or anything)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Glass posted:

is there a compelling reason you're insisting on 5ghz? are you trying to blanket your entire house with 802.11ac?

unifi makes an ac AP but it's really expensive. personally i would put your existing router in the most central location where you actually need the speed and get a unifi or two to fill in the gaps around the edges (they support 802.11n so they're not exceedingly slow or anything)

streaming. there is a lot less compression on 5ghz

if i put the router on the 1st floor of the house i get lovely 5ghz on the second floor still. so there's no point in moving it up one floor.

i am not complaining about 5ghz; i know it's not supposed to penetrate walls, i was just wondering what the best 5ghz access point is without dropping another triple digits

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

I don't think even tplink makes AC that cheap

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

A mac bluetooth keyboard is not capable of pressing ctrl+alt+del. I know mac del is more like backspace, but ctrl+alt+fn+del doesn't work either. The computer has win7. Win 8 wouldn't be a problem. Until today the client was using a literal second keyboard for logon only. The "fix" is to press ctrl+alt on mac keyboard and click del on the onscreen accessibility keyboard.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

streaming. there is a lot less compression on 5ghz

if i put the router on the 1st floor of the house i get lovely 5ghz on the second floor still. so there's no point in moving it up one floor.

i am not complaining about 5ghz; i know it's not supposed to penetrate walls, i was just wondering what the best 5ghz access point is without dropping another triple digits

if you really want 5ghz on other floors, buy one or more replacement antennas on a long cord, and run that up to the next floor. you may need an amplifier with this.

this shouldn't cost more than like $60. you may need to double check that the antenna u buy supports mimo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

I'm going to reopen this thread with the following conditions:

:siren:

NEITHER FISHMECH NOR DISCOUNT FISHMECH NOR SHAGGAR MAY POST IN THIS THREAD, LEST THEY PAY THE ULTIMATE PRICE

:siren:

fishmech please stop

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

if you really want 5ghz on other floors, buy one or more replacement antennas on a long cord, and run that up to the next floor. you may need an amplifier with this.

this shouldn't cost more than like $60. you may need to double check that the antenna u buy supports mimo

Lol

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

rotor posted:

fishmech please stop

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ownage solution involves low cost and ghetto rigging

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
put a unifi on each floor with a run of live poe ethernet and call it a day god, you can buy a 3 pack for like 200 bucks and do it right

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i guess you said you need 5ghz for some reason so the 802-11AC ones are like 219 dollars on amazon each

okay here is from their product page and i typed in prices from amazon/newegg

Sniep fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 30, 2014

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

i guess you said you need 5ghz for some reason so the 802-11AC ones are like 219 dollars on amazon each

i can just buy a 2nd router for that much tho

Nintendo Kid posted:

i actually thought of this but there's 3 antennas on the back, i am assumning one is 2.4ghz, one is 5ghz, third is??

also if i extended the antenna to the top of the house then there's no antenna in the basement any longer? unless i can use a splitter or somethin

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

there is a lot less compression on 5ghz

um, what?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
less compression artifacts, i was typing fast

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

less compression artifacts, i was typing fast

um, what?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/#ac

quote:

Wait, what’s wireless-ac?

Let’s step back for a second. Wireless-ac, or 802.11ac, is the latest version of the Wi-Fi specification. It’s much faster than wireless-n, the previous standard. Although you can use older devices with a wireless-ac router, to see any speed increase your devices have to be wireless-ac compatible.

Most modern routers can run wireless networks on both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. Wireless-ac runs on the 5 GHz band, which allows it to use more wireless channels for higher-speed connections. The 5 GHz band is also used for 802.11n, while the 2.4 GHz band can run in wireless-n mode or a more common mixed mode for compatibility with older devices. If a router or gadget only supports one band, it’s 2.4 GHz; only dual-band wireless-n and -ac devices can connect to the 5GHz band.

The 5 GHz band is less crowded than the 2.4 GHz band, which is also used by Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, and your neighbor’s router…
The 5 GHz band is less crowded than the 2.4 GHz band, which is also used by Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, and your neighbor’s router (to name a few). The 2.4 GHz band is more prone to wireless interference, which can disrupt your connections and kill your speeds. However, the 5 GHz band can deliver a shorter working range than the 2.4 GHz band.
Wireless-n and wireless-ac routers also support multiple spatial streams (data streams) on each band. Using a technology called MIMO, wireless-n and -ac devices can combine these spatial streams to get faster data rates—as long as both the router and the device each support the same number of streams.

Our pick, the Netgear R6250, supports two streams on the 2.4 GHz band and three on the 5 GHz band. Each wireless-n data stream on the 2.4 GHz band has a theoretical top rate of 150 megabits per second,11 and each wireless-ac data stream on the 5 GHz band has a theoretical maximum of 433 Mbps. That gives the router a total maximum Wi-Fi speed of 300 Mbps for wireless-n and 1.3 Gbps for wireless-ac — over four times faster.

The late-2013 MacBook Pro is one of the few devices with three-stream wireless-ac connectivity built in. Most wireless-ac laptops (like the MacBook Air) have two-stream Wi-Fi, as does the Samsung Galaxy S5. Many phones have one-stream wireless-ac, like the HTC One (both last year’s and this year’s) and Samsung Galaxy S4. There’s no iPhone on that list; wireless-ac connectivity is expected on the iPhone 6.

Even one- and two-stream wireless-ac devices are much faster when connected to the 5 GHz band on a wireless-ac router than when connected to a 2.4 GHz or 5GHz wireless-n router.

Routers are split into marketing categories based on the combined maximum bandwidth of the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, even though you can’t connect one device to both bands. For example, the Netgear R6250 is an AC1600 router (300 Mbps maximum for wireless-n plus 1.3 Gbps for wireless-ac equals 1,600). Other common categories are AC1200 (two -n streams, two -ac streams), AC1750 (three and three), and AC1900 (four and three).

what wifi clients do you have and what the gently caress are you doing with your wifi

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i recommend the airport time capsule op

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

i actually thought of this but there's 3 antennas on the back, i am assumning one is 2.4ghz, one is 5ghz, third is??

also if i extended the antenna to the top of the house then there's no antenna in the basement any longer? unless i can use a splitter or somethin

that's not how MIMO works

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
the 3 antennas are for both ranges but work in parallel afaik, different streams for the same connections, separating them wont help i guess save for single threaded connections?? idk either that well but be certain what you're doing with antenna configs that are aligned like MIMO ones are cuz that's pretty specific poo poo

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

agreed

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i think op is saying that he'll get a higher quality video stream, and therefore fewer compression artifacts in his video

personally 802.11n works fine for me so idk

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

good idea: run lmr400 up x floors so the router reaches the things, but don't run cat6 up x floors so it can reach the things

pram
Jun 10, 2001
who is discount fishmech

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

pram posted:

who is discount fishmech

notorious bsd

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that makes sense

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
I'd call him curmudgeon fishmech

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
or a chazzwazzer

pram
Jun 10, 2001
u mean chazzwozzer

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i recently found that turning one antenna 90 degrees opposed to the other improved throughput by like 10 Mbps on both of our computers. is that A Thing or is it just coincidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Panty Saluter posted:

i recently found that turning one antenna 90 degrees opposed to the other improved throughput by like 10 Mbps on both of our computers. is that A Thing or is it just coincidence
that is A Thing