Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Is it not? They show the jet, and then REALLY huge closeup of the jet's machine gun firing.

There's nothing to compare the gun to, so, no, it's not shown as a "giant" machine gun.

There's a lot i like in Cap 2, but that scene is one of the less exciting and interesting-looking ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

You mean aside from Downy showing up at the end and it being directly referenced and shown in Iron Man 2?
It's easy to forget literally everything about The Incredible Hulk, because it's an entirely forgettable movie.

Not really. It's a jet, but it sure isn't "a loving jet!", at least in that screenshot. A few seconds later, though:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Look at it. It's tiny. And here are the road spikes underneath:

Note how the camera is pointing down at them from a relatively high angle, with plenty of negative space above. They look small, like you could step over them. This is how you'd film someone's lawn.
It looks somewhat less terrible if you take the screenshot like a half-second later, but it could still be better:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat, I did find the official clip, my bad.

Sir Kodiak posted:

There's nothing to compare the gun to, so, no, it's not shown as a "giant" machine gun.

There's a lot i like in Cap 2, but that scene is one of the less exciting and interesting-looking ones.

I don't know, this implies scale pretty well for me.

CHA-KA

Right in your face. Even closer in 3D! That's a big gun. I mean, I don't see why you need Cap standing next to the gun to imply scale, when they literally shove the thing in your face.

And then there's this shot.

That's a big rear end plane.

I don't see how that couldn't be perceived as a threat.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Right in your face. Even closer in 3D! That's a big gun. I mean, I don't see why you need Cap standing next to the gun to imply scale, when they literally shove the thing in your face.

Have you seriously never seen a close-up of a small object in a movie?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh, I have. But why would that gun be tiny? What would the point of that? How could anyone even have the idea that it is a small gattling gun? I'm trying to figure this out. I mean, it's not my favorite looking movie, but I don't see how someone could watch that scene and say "Oh, the gun is small and not a threat to Captain America."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The gun actually does look pretty small in the shot. It takes up a tiny fraction of the available space when it pops out, and following that first shot of the jet hovering - where the jet looks kinda (relatively, for a jet) tiny just makes it worse.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

How could anyone even have the idea that it is a small gattling gun? I'm trying to figure this out. I mean, it's not my favorite looking movie, but I don't see how someone could watch that scene and say "Oh, the gun is small and not a threat to Captain America."

The claim is not that "the movie is communicating that the gun is small and unthreatening." The claim is that the movie is not visually communicating "the gun is large and threatening."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well, I guess this is an agree to disagree thing. I don't know. I never had a problem with those shots. Although the jet isn't a real kind of jet, and it is the same one used in The Avengers. So it might be smaller than a real sized jet but it's a decent sized plane, I suppose.

Although, new idea, one that does dispute everything I've said before, maybe that was the point? Maybe you're supposed to think that way. The shot context was viewed from Cap's point of view. Which makes the plane completely non-threatening, and easy to take down?

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 20, 2014

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Action cinematography in a movie that is being highly praised for its action should aspire to be better than the standard of "not having a problem."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Again it is very much an "agree to disagree" issue here. I never had a problem with those shots either.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Again it is very much an "agree to disagree" issue here. I never had a problem with those shots either.
Neither did I, but that doesn't mean they're without problems.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Although, new idea, one that does dispute everything I've said before, maybe that was the point? Maybe you're supposed to think that way. The shot context was viewed from Cap's point of view. Which makes the plane completely non-threatening, and easy to take down?

Sir Kodiak posted:

It would be a lot more engaging if the jet and spikes were really intimidating but Captain America was so amazing he overcomes them, rather than communicating that they aren't a threat before he bypasses them. You know, build tension, then release it. This is, after all, supposed to be an escalation from the elevator fight.

Further, it's not "completely non-threatening." It's just not not impressively threatening. It's not played for humor or character insight. So, then, what is the value of the scene?

mind the walrus posted:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Action cinematography in a movie that is being highly praised for its action should aspire to be better than the standard of "not having a problem."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

Neither did I, but that doesn't mean they're without problems.

Of course not, but it's also not a game to try and convince people who didn't have a problem with those shots that they need to do a 180 on their original opinion.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Of course not, but it's also not a game to try and convince people who didn't have a problem with those shots that they need to do a 180 on their original opinion.
... therefore there's no point putting forward an opinion that is different to theirs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What's the value of it? To show that Captain America can take down a jet. As well as jumping off a building, as well as beating 7 people in a small metal box. To show that Captain America isn't someone to be messed with. As well as to show Hydra is willing to go far to take this dude down.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

... therefore there's no point putting forward an opinion that is different to theirs.

Yes. That's exactly what I said and I'll fight you if you try to say otherwise.

No seriously though that's not what I said. It's fine to put forth another opinion but there's a difference between debate and argument, and most people in this thread could use a primer.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

What's the value of it? [...] To show that Captain America isn't someone to be messed with.
Then why not make this obstacle look more like something that also shouldn't be messed with, rather than just "kind of imposing"?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

No seriously though that's not what I said. It's fine to put forth another opinion but there's a difference between debate and argument, and most people in this thread could use a primer.
This whole thing is not predicated on some binary pair of positions, "problem" or "no problem". Shades of positioning are also available.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Holy loving poo poo, shut the gently caress up

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

What's the value of it? To show that Captain America can take down a jet. As well as jumping off a building, as well as beating 7 people in a small metal box. To show that Captain America isn't someone to be messed with. As well as to show Hydra is willing to go far to take this dude down.

And how is this served by not making the efforts to take him down as impressive as possible?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

It's a close up, and in table-breaking size, but look at the other compositional elements.

The gun is isolated in the middle of the frame. Why is there so much empty space on either side? You can see a whole wide expanse of water and trees.

Cap is offscreen, but we know from earlier shots that he is in front of and below the plane. However: the gun is pointing at a slight upwards angle, making the plane seem like it's lower to the ground and/or smaller than it 'actually' is. If it is pointing at Cap, Cap must be above the plane. (If it's not pointing at cap, that kinda defeats the point of the shot.)

In Predator, when Jesse Ventura goes nuts with his (presumably much smaller) minigun, a similar shot is thrown in for a split-second, and is used to show the muzzle flash eclipsing most of screen.

Jesse's body fills the entire frame, and the background is squeezed off to the left, entirely out of focus. Besides the gun itself, and the fire, Jesse's arm and the harness with the knife attached are the next most prominent elements. The composition is pretty simple, but the shot only lasts for the blink of an eye. The gun itself isn't terribly imposing or anything. The point of a shot like this is to amplify the explosion of fire, and to emphasize that it is being wielded - hence the arm, and the knife, and the harness.

The Cap 2 shot has, like, a river.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Holy poo poo this is a dumb loving tangent.

Let's talk about something more important: Thor and Thor 2 and my needing to throw down against anyone who hates those movies. Thor and Thor 2 are two of my favorite MCU movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love Thor 2. I also love Thor 1. They aren't my favorite, but I think they both do some really cool and interesting things. It's a tangible detail, but the rainbow bridge is one of my favorite visual effects in the MCU. It looks so dope.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've never understood the problems that people had with Thor or Thor 2, or with Jane or Darcy or any of the scenes on Asgard, or anything like that. "Whimsy?? In superhero films???"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I found a lot of the Earth stuff in Thor 1 boring, and it's my least favorite of the Marvel movies. But Thor 2 fixed all those problems.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I thought the shot comparison was interesting, personally.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Okay...I see what you're saying, but I don't agree. It just seems like a nitpick to me. It's just storytelling through the visual medium.

So he's saying that the story is being told poorly?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didn't really like Thor 2. I probably liked Thor 1 better.

Thor 2 was just kind of dull

I did really like the elf designs but they too, were just kind of dull in the end.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Zzulu posted:

I didn't really like Thor 2. I probably liked Thor 1 better.

Thor 2 was just kind of dull

I did really like the elf designs but they too, were just kind of dull in the end.

At least no more dutch angles! And Thor getting teleported to the subway was funnier than anything in Thor 1.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I like the Thor movies, but I think they're not particularly good. 2 especially has problems for me, foremost among them that the villain is barely in the movie. I think Frieg and Sif have more lines than he does.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Cythereal posted:

I like the Thor movies, but I think they're not particularly good. 2 especially has problems for me, foremost among them that the villain is barely in the movie. I think Frieg and Sif have more lines than he does.

I don't see that as a problem. The tornado in Twister didn't have any lines either.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Natalie Portman's role in Thor 2:

1. Fall in a hole.
2. Become ill and faint.
3. Hide in a closet while Thor's mom gets her poo poo kicked in.
4. Get kidnapped anyway, making her sacrifice utterly pointless.
5. Return to Earth and help Kat Dennings push buttons.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I loved the Thor movies, they were just plain fun to watch.
Which is exactly what I want from my comic book movies.

The MCU has had some really fun movies save for a couple(The Incredibly Boring Hulk and Ironically Less of a Man 2).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DFu4ever posted:

I don't see that as a problem. The tornado in Twister didn't have any lines either.

Yeah, Thor 2's villain has very simple motivations (revenge) and is a very simple character just in general. And that's perfectly fine because not every villain has to be a philosophical megalomaniac.

Honestly, if you took out the twist in DKR (as in, made it explicit from the start) that's basically what Bane would be.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

computer parts posted:

Yeah, Thor 2's villain has very simple motivations (revenge) and is a very simple character just in general. And that's perfectly fine because not every villain has to be a philosophical megalomaniac.

Honestly, if you took out the twist in DKR (as in, made it explicit from the start) that's basically what Bane would be.

I liked that Thor 2's villain was secondary in the story. The story isn't about the conflict between Thor and him. It happens, it is kind of the B-storyline compared to the Thor/Loki relationship taking the A-storyline.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I suppose I'm a heretic, then, in that Loki bores me. He was good in Thor 1 and adequate enough in Avengers, but I think he ran his course after that. Good actor with a lot of charisma to be sure, but the character has overstayed his welcome with me.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Perhaps I've drunk too much of Marvels shared universe kool-aid, but the main thing that disappointed me about Thor 2 is that we had a climactic battle in London and we didn't get a single Captain Britain or MI13 reference.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

CelticPredator posted:

I love Thor 2. I also love Thor 1. They aren't my favorite, but I think they both do some really cool and interesting things. It's a tangible detail, but the rainbow bridge is one of my favorite visual effects in the MCU. It looks so dope.

Do they sell a toy of the rainbow bridge? Possibly with the special edition DVD??

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davoren posted:

Perhaps I've drunk too much of Marvels shared universe kool-aid, but the main thing that disappointed me about Thor 2 is that we had a climactic battle in London and we didn't get a single Captain Britain or MI13 reference.

Probably because Fox is trying to prove they own the rights to CB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Here's the shot where the harrier is introduced in True Lies. In motion, it rises up to fully eclipse the cityscape in the background, so that the first thing you see is just the narrow tail fin.

Cameron does not use a shot like the one in Cap 2, showing the full length of the plane, to convey power and menace. He uses a similar shot to briefly establish the specific location of the plane in relation to the terrorists before the mayhem begins. The shot above is the one used to actually convey the power and menace of the vehicle, in relation to a mere man.

If you look at the Cap 2 shot, it's obvious that they put the tiny shield at the bottom of the image to show how fragile the star of freedom is, in the face of this black machine (so much for being banal on purpose). The filmmakers aren't total idiots. They just, for whatever reason, used the type of shot that James Cameron would use as a simple establishing shot as their 'oh poo poo' moment, instead of making the fighter jet into a looming presence.

The fighter scene Cap 2 is actually extremely similar to the scene in Man Of Steel where Superman is brought aboard Faora's spaceship in the desert. The shots chosen for the space-ship landing are nearly identical. The problem is that, in Snyder's film, this is a dialogue scene designed to convey a vague unease - not an action sequence.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 20, 2014

• Locked thread