Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

"No, we will not make a movie that people are apparently demanding and would probably pay money to see. gently caress that."

That would involve listening to people and we're sure we know what people want.

Ant-Man, right. People want Ant-Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If they play it smart, Shazam could appeal to kids in a big way. A family friendly superhero just might be the shot in the arm the superhero genre needs. I'd love if they went for Jeff Smith's take.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Detective No. 27 posted:

If they play it smart, Shazam could appeal to kids in a big way. A family friendly superhero just might be the shot in the arm the superhero genre needs. I'd love if they went for Jeff Smith's take.

Except that this is 2014 WB/DC we're talking about here so Billy Batson probably will take up superheroing to repress his terrible childhood of drugs and sexual abuse.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mind the walrus posted:

I'm still sold but the amount of people chanting "this is overrated garbage" is going to be deafening.

Isn't this the chanting that we've gotten for every single Marvel film?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

jivjov posted:

Isn't this the chanting that we've gotten for every single Marvel film?

Yes, because it's mostly true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Really all I want from Captain Marvel is for it not to be Man Of Thunder. I know that's probably too much to ask but I can hope.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
For all the bitching WB gets about dragging their heels on a Wonder Woman film, that WW film will most likely be released years before Marvel ever releases a film with a female lead in it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HorseRenoir posted:

For all the bitching WB gets about dragging their heels on a Wonder Woman film, that WW film will most likely be released years before Marvel ever releases a film with a female lead in it.

I'd put the odds about even at this point. And even if DC wins that race, it's loving ridiculous that it's taken this long. Wonder Woman has existed since the thirties, and had a popular 70's tv show, and before the current run of Marvel films she was probably more famous as a character than anyone who appeared in The Avengers. Of the characters DC owns she's probably their most famous one after Batman and Superman, and out of all comics characters before they were featured in movie the only other one with the same amount of recognition was probably Spider-Man.

Obviously it's different studios doing different things, but it's slightly ridiculous Iron Man got a movie first.

I won't be too surprised if no one ever makes a blockbuster comic film with a female lead, but that's mostly because Hollywood won't spend 100 million on a movie starring a women not named Angelina Jolie.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WB loses either way for hemming and hawing about how "difficult" a Wonder Woman movie would be and all that about how they have to make sure they "get it right", like Batman and Superman haven't gotten multiple films with wildly different tones over the years. When a Batman movie bombs there's still going to be another one in a decade or so. Marvel's highest-profile female heroes are mostly already in X-Men, there's simply no comparison to a character like Wonder Woman.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think the Captain Marvel film is going to hinge more on who plays Billy Batson. Will they go with 10 year old Billy or teen Billy? Johnson's Captain Marvel is going to hinge on these things.

They'll probably go with Black Adam as the villain, but Mr. Mind would be so ballsy. Especially if they somehow keep that one of his henchmen was Adolf Hitler (this won't happen).

Dr. Sivana would be a good one, if not Mr. Mind. I have to admire the panache of a supervillain who, upon learning that the Marvel family is out of town, immediately goes outside and just starts shooting cops. That's not even mad science.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Sivana and Mr. Mind would be a good pair. You can have Sivana as the frontman and Mr. Mind as a mysterious force in the shadows.

I'd absolutely kill for them to keep Mr. Mind's real identity like it was in the original comics but I know they'd make him a space-eating hyperfly or some poo poo.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

TheJoker138 posted:

"No, we will not make a movie that people are apparently demanding and would probably pay money to see. gently caress that."

People paid money to see Catwoman. Doesn't mean it should have been made.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
They should re-release Catwoman to gauge whether audiences are ready yet for a femal lead in a superhero movie.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Grendels Dad posted:

They should re-release Catwoman to gauge whether audiences are ready yet for a femal lead in a superhero movie.

Pretty much, and script writers should be forced to watch it to know what not to do when writing superhero movies with female leads. Hint: just because a movie stars a chick doesn't mean the primary audience is other chicks. Men like superheroes and drive superhero film sales, so its a good idea to not make superheroes films about evil make-up companies, villainous fashion designers or fascist sewing circles.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Naw man they totally put in some sports scenes for the guys and stuff.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Pretty much, and script writers should be forced to watch it to know what not to do when writing superhero movies with female leads. Hint: just because a movie stars a chick doesn't mean the primary audience is other chicks. Men like superheroes and drive superhero film sales, so its a good idea to not make superheroes films about evil make-up companies, villainous fashion designers or fascist sewing circles.

Yeah. Because everyone knows what we ladies want more than anything in our superhero stories are fashion and make up! Never take the female demographic into account. This is what happens! :bigtran:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I think it's safe to say that you shouldn't make superhero movies about evil make-up companies no matter what.

Unless you are doing an origins movie for Clayface.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Irish Joe posted:

Men can gently caress off, they have like a jillion other franchises catering to their every whim. Give me an angry, feminist hoplite Wonder Woman. Give me a Wonder Woman who goes around spartan kicking Generals and CEOs into orbit and a postfeminist villian who serves an evil overlord who looks like Joss Whedon. Give me a cast and crew that's 90% women, with a soundtrack by Bikini Kill and Bratmobile. Also turn Steve Trevors to Eve Trevors because that would be more interesting anyway.

Or I guess we just bring some more dudes in cause you how those women are with their makeup. :sigh:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
He's talking about the Catwoman movie specifically in that case.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

People paid money to see Catwoman. Doesn't mean it should have been made.

It should have, though. Well, not THAT Catwoman movie, but A Catwoman movie could be great.

Also I think Marvel has already won the race between them and DC for a female fronted project because they are doing a 12 issue Netflix series about Jessica Jones, and that's much, much more than DC has in the cards, even if it's not a film.

I also think that a Captain Marvel film in phase 3 or 4 is pretty likely. My guess is she gets introduced either in Avengers 2 or Cap' 3 as just Carol Danvers, then we see her get hit by some alien poo poo in Guardians 2 or Avengers 3, and then Captain Marvel movie. It'll be sometime before 2020, I'd bet.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Men can gently caress off, they have like a jillion other franchises catering to their every whim. Give me an angry, feminist hoplite Wonder Woman. Give me a Wonder Woman who goes around spartan kicking Generals and CEOs into orbit and a postfeminist villian who serves an evil overlord who looks like Joss Whedon. Give me a cast and crew that's 90% women, with a soundtrack by Bikini Kill and Bratmobile. Also turn Steve Trevors to Eve Trevors because that would be more interesting anyway.

Or just start burning money.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I finally got around to watching Man of Steel. It felt like a screed about how horrifying a world where we actually needed superheroes would be, and had some really perverse stuff, like Lois and Superman having a passionate kiss in a ground zero crater amid the swirling ash and dust of a recent genocide. I liked it though, it works really well as a counter-point to people's claims that they want 'realism' and verisimilitude in their superhero stories.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Haha, what a terribly dumb post.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I finally got around to watching Man of Steel. It felt like a screed about how horrifying a world where we actually needed superheroes would be, and had some really perverse stuff, like Lois and Superman having a passionate kiss in a ground zero crater amid the swirling ash and dust of a recent genocide. I liked it though, it works really well as a counter-point to people's claims that they want 'realism' and verisimilitude in their superhero stories.

This is close to how I feel about it too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I liked the dickships.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I liked that they removed Superman's red underpants while making his whole suit Kryptonian underwear.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

am0kgonzo posted:

Or just start burning money.

Crushing the patriarchy, now in IMAX. :getin:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I liked the dickships.

They had to see this, right?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

There's tons of dick and vagina imagery all over Krypton, it has to be intentional. As well it should be, because it's the best part of the movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PriorMarcus posted:

It took many man-hours to model, so yes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I liked the dickships.

How have I not seen anyone bring this up before

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

How have I not seen anyone bring this up before

It's pretty much the only thing in the movie worth talking about.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

It speaks to the inhumanity of Zod and his ilk. They are surrounded by phallic and yonic imagery, and his top lieutenant is a super hot babe, but the only way they can think to repopulate is by killing people and harvesting DNA from a corpse.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Whoever conceptualized the sets and design of that sequence was clearly going for Giger but it just ended up as a limp (pun intended) approximation of such. I like my dicks more subtle.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

Whoever conceptualized the sets and design of that sequence was clearly going for Giger but it just ended up as a limp (pun intended) approximation of such. I like my dicks more subtle.

HR Giger was a lot of things, but 'subtle' wasn't one of them.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
That's still about 100x more subtle than 12 flying penises

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can picture Ben Kingsley as a good Dr. Sivana.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
John Boyega is very unsubtly hinting at Black Panther in his future. Will anything come of it? We'll see.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can't imagine there'd be any casting for a film that hasn't even been announced or chosen a director yet, but hey, that got me a nice ol' chubby for good ten or fifteen seconds.

Who knows? Comic-Con is coming, and it's a magical time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BrianWilly posted:

I can't imagine there'd be any casting for a film that hasn't even been announced or chosen a director yet, but hey, that got me a nice ol' chubby for good ten or fifteen seconds.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3522772/?ref_=fn_al_tt_7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_aphEVpBXk&t=539s

• Locked thread