Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I like the Thor movies, but I think they're not particularly good. 2 especially has problems for me, foremost among them that the villain is barely in the movie. I think Frieg and Sif have more lines than he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I suppose I'm a heretic, then, in that Loki bores me. He was good in Thor 1 and adequate enough in Avengers, but I think he ran his course after that. Good actor with a lot of charisma to be sure, but the character has overstayed his welcome with me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Going to stick my hand in the hornet's nest and note that Man of Steel was one of the very few times I can recall that I was rooting for the villain to win just because he was so much more interesting and entertaining on the screen than the hero. The most interesting character I think the good guys got was the army guy from Law and Order SVU.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Back when Man of Steel hadn't yet been released, Snyder said that he'd love to do a Justice League movie using Brainiac or Doomsday.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Terrible Horse posted:

Doomsday seems so tied to the "death of Superman" storyline (and is also a super boring not-Hulk character). I would love a Krypton-based Brainiac though.

I'm not very familiar with the comics mythos, but given that those two are who Snyder said he really wanted to pick from for the threat to bring the Justice League together, I have to wonder how much creative leeway he has for the villains.

I also wonder if they'll bring Green Lantern back for a Justice League movie. I thought it was an alright summer popcorn flick and at least more fun to watch than Dark Knight Rises, but struggled with the mythos-building in a way that Guardians of the Galaxy feels like it did a much better job with. My understanding is that Green Lantern is usually a core member of the Justice League, but rather than bring Hal back they'll opt for a different representative of that particular mythos?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Martman posted:

John Stewart, played by Jon Stewart.

Is John Stewart the one who looks almost identical to Idris Elba? If so, why on earth did they go with generic white guy #41853?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I was kind of hoping if they did a Captain Marvel movie they'd do a bait and switch with Mar-Vell as the apparent lead, only for him to keel over halfway through and now bam Carol is Captain Marvel.

According to the leaked info about Phase 3, Carol is going to be part of the Marvel movieverse, though it's unclear if she's going to get her own movie or just be part of the Avengers ensemble.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Javid posted:

Idris Elba for Strange. I don't give a poo poo that he's Heimdall, they'll never both be on the screen at once anyway.

Idris Elba for John Stewart as Green Lantern, thanks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Aren't those technically spoilers, though?

Anyway, I really hope A2 ends with Stark going the way of Howard Hughes after creating Ultron.

We know RDJ's contract with Marvel is expiring and there are no plans for Iron Man 4, so I won't be surprised if Stark dies in A2.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gatts posted:

He will be in A3. Come on now. Seriously. A C17 full of money is going to be plopped in his yard. He's never going to die. He'll just be doing other stuff.

On the other hand, the leaks are pretty unanimous about Ultron beating the poo poo out of the Avengers. Ultron killing Tony Stark would make a lot of dramatic and thematic sense.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Buddington posted:

OK, here's the pitch. Marvel Studios has made billions over the past 10 years by making an interconnected universe of movies with characters that audiences worldwide have grown to love. What we want to do with the next Avengers movie is this: get rid of them all and make a movie starring the B-team.

Studio executive: "Hmm...I like it."

Worked for Guardians of the Galaxy...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

computer parts posted:

It's more than that; traditionally conflict is set far away from civilization (the Western Frontier, Afghanistan, etc) or civilization is abstracted away to be an incidental casualty (e.g., Alderaan is blown up but as an example of the Empire's might, the whole Phantom Menace Naboo thing).

What we're seeing now are fights that take place in urban areas, specifically places the protagonists call home (Like San Francisco in Star Trek: Into Darkness, or just Vulcan in ST09). The conflict is now within ourselves, instead of with "The baddies".

Not a film student or critic, but I've also been noticing a trend of "We're responsible for making the bad guys possible/who they are" lately, from Skyfall to Pacific Rim to Iron Man 3.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HorseRenoir posted:

GI Joe: Retaliation is amazing; the fact that all of London is vaporized and no one (not even British government officials) seems to acknowledge that it happened five minutes later is just the tip of the iceberg in regards to how crazy and ridiculous that film is.

Personally, I love that part of the movie. Cobra Commander is in full scenery chewing comic book supervillain actively taking over the world mode, he just deployed his unstoppable superweapon, and it's all just fun that you're not supposed to take seriously.

quote:

It's vaguely troubling that both Iron Man 3 and Star Trek: Into Darkness have plots that revolve around false flag attacks and came out within a couple months of each other.

See also: Captain America 2.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interesting. Someone apparently managed to record the audio of the Avengers 2 comic-con teaser, which I haven't seen talked about. Ultron is coming across as rather creepy, including a fairly unsettling remix of a classic Disney song.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Give Manu Bennet as Deathstroke :colbert:

Liam Neeson. I don't care that he was already R'as al-Ghul.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Could also mean stopping Thanos' scheme in the larger galaxy, but not Thanos himself, and thus forcing him to go to Earth/Asgard.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Steve Buscemi as Dr. Strange?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Since my suggestion, got buried at the bottom of the last page, Steve Buscemi for Dr. Strange.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GonSmithe posted:

Because he's black and it would have made even less money than it already did.

Idris Elba.

I can understand the difficulties Green Lantern had, honestly. Not a huge comic books fan and loremaster here, but as I understand it the Green Lanterns occupy a similar place in the DC universe as the Guardians of the Galaxy do in Marvel: a weird interstellar cosmic side universe that's very big, very weird, and has only passing connections to the stuff on Earth. Guardians pulled off introducing moviegoers to its universe pretty well, Green Lantern failed at the same goal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jamesman posted:

Age of Ultron trailer sounds interesting. Seems like they might actually be acknowledging how all the heroes keep killing people.

Was a new trailer released? Youtube is just turning up a bunch of fakes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Marvel already released an official plot summary, explaining that Tony helps to establish this force of 'drone robots' that had been previously planned, but then something goes wrong and it becomes Ultron.

From what's been said, the "something goes wrong" is Ultron going "You're all loving morons and this poo poo you want me to do won't work."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mr. stefan posted:

Transposing the shield breaking scene to an earlier storyline without any understanding of why it's effective, probably just so HE can be the one who does it, is so perfectly Whedon it's almost painful.

From the sounds of it, the scene with the broken shield isn't something that actually happens, it's Stark having a nightmare sequence.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or they might just be using the name to evoke a particular feeling/theme, the same way Age of Ultron apparently doesn't have much in common with the titular comic book story arc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

berserker posted:

edit: 4th Avengers film? Gulp.

Marvel is probably going to ride this train until it stops making money.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Call me sad, but the first thing that occurs to me about calling CA3 "Captain America: Civil War" is that that name is not going to go over well with a certain strand of clueless media and political types in the US.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Is it wrong to hope they don't kill off Ultron? The Marvel movie universe could do with recurring villains besides Loki.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mr. stefan posted:

Nice to see Whedon's weird costume pettiness continue with Cap this time.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I like Cap's dark, muted suit from the beginning of CA2 significantly more than the other costumes he's had in the movies.

Not sure how I feel about the Hulkbuster armor. The helmet in particular looks goofy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Thor's gonna die, isn't he? That's gotta be the reason they haven't announced a Thor 3, and that would be a hell of a way to show Ultron means business.

I really doubt they're going to kill Thor. Until RDJ was confirmed for Iron Man 4 as a major role, I'd assumed that with his contract coming to an end Stark would be killed by his creation in A2.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Polaron posted:

The broken shield imagery, Bucky and Falcon (both comic characters who have taken up the Cap mantle) being in the mix, and Chris Evans wanting to get into directing more leads me to believe that Cap's number might be up.

Not yet, I don't think. CA3's been confirmed to be an adaptation of the Civil War in some fashion, with Bucky playing a major role.

Hawkeye, Black Widow, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Nick Fury are the characters I think are realistically on the chopping block. I can't see Marvel killing any of their big three or Hulk just yet.

Against Thanos, though? I hope all bets will be off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Polaron posted:

I still have no clue how that's supposed to work in the MCU. They'd need fifty times as many superpowered characters, at least. Plus, nobody in the MCU has a secret identity to fight to hide!

Not being very familiar with the comics, I think the idea is sound from the movies: Captain America versus Iron Man over the position of superheroes in the world. Stark's arc has been about learning and accepting his responsibility to the world as a genius, superhero, and billionare. He creates Ultron in A2 to be a superhero that doesn't put human lives in the line of fire. Steve Rogers has spent the last two movies learning to distrust authority because of how easily power corrupts and seemingly good but pragmatic intentions can mask evil.

It's neatly put them on a collision course over the questions of authority and power, particularly if the leak that Avengers 2 ends with Captain America seeking out more superheroes and powerful individuals is true. Invoking the Civil War at the start of a global age of superheroes in the movie-verse is an interesting move.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Polaron posted:

I think Rhodey, like, Bucky and Falcon for Cap, acts as a sort of 'escape plan' in case RDJ decides he doesn't want to come back.

To hell with Rhodey (I do like him), have Pepper replace Stark in the Iron Man suit if RDJ leaves. :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Polaron posted:

But then the movies would have to be called Rescue :v:

The news people in Avengers 1 said "Tony Stark's Iron Man suit" rather than "Tony Stark" was involved, so keep calling her Iron Man. And keep the weapons in the suit. Possibly with Pepper retaining her Extremis powers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Surlaw posted:

I'm sure that's what they're going to end up going for, but it seems silly to have him sacrifice his Not Hulkbuster armor in IM3 and then build a True Hulkbuster in the next movie. It undoes something I really liked about IM3, even if there's a good enough plot reason for it.

I never thought he'd stop inventing, I just thought he might stop inventing war machines.

Then again, there's no guarantee Stark built this Hulkbuster. It might be of Ultron's design.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Snowman_McK posted:

If you look at it, it doesn't seem like Stark's moved past his pain. He's wrapping the thing that protects him, his safe place, in a larger safe place. I guess I'm saying I hope it's an Ultron avatar. From the looks of it, all his stuff is grey, though.

From what's been said of Stark, this isn't Stark dwelling on his pain anymore. This is Stark going "You know what? I'm a robotics and AI genius, and I should use that power to really help people. Here, let me design an AI with drones based on my Iron Man tech to do all this dangerous superhero stuff so Cap and Thor and Black Widow and Hawkeye and Rhody and all of us don't have to go in harm's way anymore. I have a responsibility to use my gifts to help, and this looks like a good way to help my friends especially."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wyoming posted:

Psh, if Ultron were so smart he'd realize the "I've Got No Strings" is from the only time when Pinocchio is actually being controlled and manipulated.

I won't be surprised if that's deliberate from a filmmaker's perspective: that Ultron believes he's free, but he's really not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I would be surprised if they gave it that much thought.

It's an AI. That would be a pretty standard story for a villainous AI.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wyoming posted:

I'd be all for Iron Man becoming the villain by faking an evil AI takeover.

That or Ultron is following Stark's programming, he's simply interpreting them in a way that Stark didn't intend. But he's not truly free, and turning his programming constraints against him will be important to defeating him. It's a fairly common approach to evil AIs in fiction.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Read an interesting article on a film website, responding to the news of a Captain Marvel movie with a primer for non-comic book readers on who Carol Danvers is. The article then raised the notion that if Captain Marvel is one of the new characters to be introduced or at least cameoed in Avengers 2, she might play a role in Captain America 3: Civil War. Those more knowledgeable about the movie and comics universes, think there's any likelihood to that possibility?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Scyantific posted:

Loki having a large role in the cosmic stuff isn't a surprise, honestly.

I can't say I'm a fan of this move. Good actor who owns the part, but Loki himself is boring as hell to me. Yeah, yeah, he's a trickster who maybe has a heart of gold and maybe he doesn't but yeah he probably does. At least with Stark it's fairly entertaining when he does the right thing only after trying every other option available first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thor 2 is the only movie in the Marvel movieverse so far that's outright bored me. The art direction is terrific - the Brotherhood of Nod starship in particular stands out, special effects are top-notch, crazy scientist guy is hilarious, Thor himself is pretty good. But I feel it fits together poorly.

Malekith is, on paper, a villain with an interesting premise. He and his people are from an older age of the universe, when the very nature of reality was rather different from the way it is now, and he's trying to change that nature. There's plenty of room for pathos there if that motivation and its origin had been explored. As it is, he feels like Vaanko from Iron Man 2: a theoretically interesting villain who's mostly there to provide a boss battle.

Loki feels as pointless and there just to ham it up and make fangirls swoon as he did in Avengers. I loved him in Thor 1, where it was clear from the word go that he had a plan and a goal but it was eternally unclear just what he was driving towards and who would benefit and suffer from his machinations in the end. I felt none of that in Avengers and none of it in this movie. His relationship with Thor likewise felt tepid and meaningless, that it was just Loki being himself with no actual plan for where that relationship should evolve in the future.

The female astronomer lady was so bland and forgettable that I don't remember her name and don't care enough to look it up. Like Malekith, she has some theoretically interesting motivations and events to work with, but she spends almost the entire movie being coddled, in distress, or running around while the actual conflict on-screen focuses on other characters. She shares Malekith's analysis in my opinion: there, serviceable, forgettable, and making poor use of the material she could have chewed on.

It's not a bad movie, but it felt like a by-the-numbers filler sequel that was enjoyable to see once but one with no reason to re-watch even for simple entertainment and with no relevance to the ongoing story that couldn't be summed up in a sentence or two.

• Locked thread