Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just had a bench seat done in Denver and a quotes were 600-900, went with a good shop and got it for like 650 I think. Foam, pleated vinyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
A couple years ago I had a bench seat quoted at $450 for foam and cover. Didn't end up having it done, so I can't tell you what quality of work that buys, though.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Finally had a weekend that isn't total garbage weather-wise so I went out and did a couple things that I've been wanting to get done. I needed the garage door open and it's been raining and cold for the past several weekends. I really don't want to sit out there and get wet.

First thing was hogging out some holes in the rear shackles to try to bring the rear end up just a little bit. It's incredible what difference a drill with some balls makes. When I installed them the first time, 2 holes per shackle took way too drat long with the weak-rear end drill I was using. I got 4 holes made today with the M12 Fuel in no time. Didn't even need the Astroglide. I think it's time for the old corded to finally go to the big tool shed in the sky. Slammed that all back together but didn't take any pictures. Rear tire clearance is better now so that's cool.

With the car back on the ground, I went ahead and took the rear seatback out because I think I'm gonna take a little tax return money and go get that redone. Before I took it out, I marked where the seatbelts fall to try to give the guy an idea of where to put the rear end grooves in the seat. Maybe they'll be helpful, maybe not. Figured it can't hurt.

I ordered the extra fabric last night so once that shows up I'll probably give the guy another call and set an appointment to drop this thing off. Interior's drat near all done.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

First thing was hogging out some holes in the rear shackles to try to bring the rear end up just a little bit. It's incredible what difference a drill with some balls makes. When I installed them the first time, 2 holes per shackle took way too drat long with the weak-rear end drill I was using. I got 4 holes made today with the M12 Fuel in no time. Didn't even need the Astroglide. I think it's time for the old corded to finally go to the big tool shed in the sky. Slammed that all back together but didn't take any pictures. Rear tire clearance is better now so that's cool.

The M12 Milwaukee tools punch so far above their weight I have to believe they're magic. I bought the Drill and Impact combo and they perform way better than they have any right to given their size.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

8ender posted:

The M12 Milwaukee tools punch so far above their weight I have to believe they're magic. I bought the Drill and Impact combo and they perform way better than they have any right to given their size.

Man, they're good, aren't they? I've got the drill and screwdriver now but I really want that 3/8" impact. If i know a fastener isn't super tight, I'll throw the drill on 'hammer' and use that to back it out. So good.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

First thing was hogging out some holes in the rear shackles to try to bring the rear end up just a little bit. It's incredible what difference a drill with some balls makes. When I installed them the first time, 2 holes per shackle took way too drat long with the weak-rear end drill I was using. I got 4 holes made today with the M12 Fuel in no time.

This post finally motivated me to pull the trigger on some quality drill bits. I did some drilling yesterday and got pissed off at my lovely bits, too.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Larrymer posted:

This post finally motivated me to pull the trigger on some quality drill bits. I did some drilling yesterday and got pissed off at my lovely bits, too.

I was actually using the HF step bit on my poo poo. Granted, I was going from a 1/2" hole to a 9/16" hole, but it was the same bit I used last time and just the new drill itself made a world of difference. I really didn't want to plunk down the cash on a 9/16" bit just to ease open a few holes. If I ever get a drill press I'll probably get a set of bigger bits.

Got the fabric for the seat. Need to call the shop and set up an appointment to drop everything off.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I’m about two months away from kicking off a similar project, a car that has been halfway complete on a resto that doesn’t run and no interior. I want to have it polished in a year, since the engine was rebuilt already and is in the mechanicals are going to take only a few months. Any suggestions on how I can be successful? Did you learn anything about order of operations or organization, Long lead items that threw you off, anything you would do different with what you know now?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

StormDrain posted:

I’m about two months away from kicking off a similar project, a car that has been halfway complete on a resto that doesn’t run and no interior. I want to have it polished in a year, since the engine was rebuilt already and is in the mechanicals are going to take only a few months. Any suggestions on how I can be successful? Did you learn anything about order of operations or organization, Long lead items that threw you off, anything you would do different with what you know now?

Oh wow, those are pretty good questions. I didn't know poo poo before I started this thing. I really tried to compartmentalize things as much as I could, but obviously there were a handful of "while we're at it"s that got done, too. I did a lot of goofy poo poo with GM Legos instead of just buying all new parts so there was a ton of research done into what parts fit, what do I need to actually get, what can I probably get from a junk yard, etc. I've been on a pretty tight budget as well so there was a lot of spacing out of purchases over time.

With your tentative start still being two months out, I'd say now is the time for research. As much as you can do. Learn everything you can about what you're going to be tearing into. Get a plan together on exactly what you want to do. As far as order goes, I don't think there's really any "right" way of doing things, but there's obviously some strategy that can be put together to make things a little less crazy in your head. I knew I wanted to do brakes first and after a bunch of research, I decided that I would specifically be doing late 4th-gen F-body brakes so I started gathering parts for that. As I was acquiring parts, I knew I didn't want to put nice 'new' brakes on a gross old car, so that's when I decided to rip out the subframe and clean everything up. Yeah, I put the crusty old suspension back on, but I knew it would all get replaced.

As far as long lead stuff, I didn't really run into much of that, but I think that's probably because I've done almost 100% of the work myself so far. The only things I've really farmed out as of now are the front caliper brackets and hubs and both of those actually got to me pretty drat quickly once ordered. Even waiting on those parts, I was still able to do other things. I wasn't on any sort of time crunch anyway.

As far as doing things differently, I think that would really only change if I had more money to throw at this thing. Fewer junk yard parts, more spendy poo poo (brakes and wheels), more consistent stream of parts, etc. I'm honestly pretty happy with how this thing's coming together. I'm doing exactly what I want with it so that makes me feel pretty good.

I don't think I did a very good job of answering your questions here, but maybe there's a little insight to be found in all that rambling. If I had to say one thing to focus on, it would be research. I know more about this car that I know about possibly anything else. See if you can get the factory service manuals and sit down and flip through them before you even put a wrench on the car. Break the whole thing down to little projects (brakes, suspension, steering, etc.) and look those up online. Odds are, you're not the first guy to do whatever it is you've got planned. Or if you are (I don't think anyone's been stupid enough to spend all this time and effort on an X-body sedan before me), there's probably going to be some super similar stuff out there to reference. As cheesy as it sounds, knowledge really is power. Stop on by with any more questions and I'll do my best to bumble through more non-answers.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I like it! This is going all original so I’m hoping that makes my life easier by not combining things. I also think I do need the car in my possession before I get too crazy. I don’t know what the brakes are like, although I do want to go to a modern two pot brake master with a vac booster. And I want an aux cord and hidden stereo.... poo poo.

I kind of want to give myself an allowance for parts and work on it that way, I’ve had a few busts on my truck where I buy a crazy amount of parts for a big job that could have spread out.

Maybe what I learned here is I should sequence out my work. I want to go smoothly in one direction, without popping parts on and off. I became an expert in dropping the fuel tank on my truck and I wish I had only ever done the job once.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeah, actually having the car in your hands is a good start. Good first step would be getting it in the air, yanking the wheels off, and seeing what exactly is going on under the skirt. Dual chamber master is probably available and power brake hardware is probably out there too. Good idea would be to work from the inside out. Ball joints > spindle/bearings > brake stuff. That way when a corner gets put back together, it's all done, you know? I didn't do that, but oh well. Care to drop any hints as to what this project might be?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
A 64 Galaxie ragtop, purchased by my dad in the early 90s, maybe late 80s, and hasn’t run since. We worked on it a lot when I was a kid but it stagnated since oh, 1998.

I just put an offer in on a house with a large enough garage to work on it and he’s as excited to clear it out of the shop as I am to have it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

StormDrain posted:

A 64 Galaxie ragtop, purchased by my dad in the early 90s, maybe late 80s, and hasn’t run since. We worked on it a lot when I was a kid but it stagnated since oh, 1998.

I just put an offer in on a house with a large enough garage to work on it and he’s as excited to clear it out of the shop as I am to have it.

:swoon: I love the '64 galaxie, a 500 XL (2-door fastback hardtop, bucket seats) with an FE and a 4-speed is the car I will eventually replace my Impala with, I think. Somedayyyy~ :allears:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

StormDrain posted:

Oh baby, that'll be sweet once you get rolling. There's a ton of aftermarket support with power brake kits and suspension and whatnot. Can't wait to see it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh baby, that'll be sweet once you get rolling. There's a ton of aftermarket support with power brake kits and suspension and whatnot. Can't wait to see it.

Good to know! I’ll be making a thread when I get started, I may have spent part of a commute working on titles...

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So I took a half day off work on Friday so I could borrow the wife's car and haul my seat to the upholstery guy. I figure I'll print some pictures of the front seats with some dimensions to give the guy an idea on what to shoot for. Based on what I've seen on his website, I'm pretty confident he can do something nice.

Before picture:

Hopefully it will look real drat different in a few weeks.

Since the weather has improved significantly, I spent a good chunk of Saturday dicking around in the garage finishing up a couple little projects. I then had a dumb idea and decided that I wanted to try to design sort of a front lip spoiler for this thing. All CAD work for now, but I figure I'll transfer it to sheet metal or fiberglass or something. I dunno. Naturally, all of my big sheets of cardboard have finally been purged so I had to rig up a bunch of small flat boxes to get to the 6' width I needed. I then traced the outline of the bottom of the bumper as sort of a 'mounting flange' and then built another panel 4" long that matches the general contours of the first piece. Cut out some 135°/45° braces and taped the whole drat thing together. Not real sure what to do with the ends yet, but this is barely a Mk I. More like Mk .5. I'll probably abandon this goofy thing like most of my little projects, but we'll see where it goes.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Did you do any searching for an off the shelf solution?

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/6874nova.htm

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I did, actually. There's another company that's really similar to the VFN version. To me, it looks like they just took the bottom half of the bumper, molded it, and flipped it. It'd be a good start, but I want to do the ends a little differently and I'm not really sure what kind of overall shape I want on the lower edge.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Holy poo poo, can't wait for the thread. Please don't let it die tho like slung blade did with his Coronet.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Holy poo poo, can't wait for the thread. Please don't let it die tho like slung blade did with his Coronet.

I just moved my content to my DIY thread after the ai thread fell into the archives because I'm a bonehead. I'm still working on the coronet.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

All right let's keep the expectations low - it won't be a hot rod or anything... get ready for a guy trying to shim panel gaps, find clips for a mountain of loose trim and find a 4th hub cap. If I am remembering right my dad has 6 hub caps, three of each pattern.

edit: and a lot of sentimental memories!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh I thought you were gonna do a full restoration or something, that would be cool.

No pressure tho ;)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Oh I thought you were gonna do a full restoration or something, that would be cool.

No pressure tho ;)

Fine I’ll just go back into time and pull the body off the frame and have the engine rebuilt and disassemble everything and sandblast the body and and and

I close in 30 days so expect a thread after that.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
No real news to report, but I did drop the seat off last week. I made it clear to the dude that I'm in no real rush and he's got a couple big jobs on his plate right now, so it probably won't make it back to me until next month. That's fine with me. Maybe since I gave him a break on time he'll give a break on the invoice. Wishful thinking.

I'm at a point now where I don't really know what to do. I think that's good? Now that the weather's warming up, I think it's time to seriously start thinking about the first short shakedown. I mean, everything's all ready to rock so I think I need to throw a charge on the battery (probably just buy a new one with an actual brand name) and fire it up. Last time I had it running, the carb was kinda acting like poo poo and falling on its face right off idle so I may actually pull it off and give it a good blast out.

I'm also approaching the point where I'm going to need to start acquiring engine parts. Tons of little things needed so they may start to trickle in soon. Next big project will be a new chassis harness, though. Under dash is a mess after some PO's garbage stereo install. Wanna get rid of the glass tube fuses, too. I've got a couple books on auto wiring so I'll be moving the battery to the trunk and putting together a relay/junction box to neaten things up.

As far as the stupid front spoiler thing, I really don't know what I'm doing there. I'm thinking maybe I'll pick up a sheet of rigid foam insulation and transfer over to that. Maybe cover it with fiberglass once I get a shape I like. It's really just more of a screw around project so who knows if it will actually go anywhere.

Feel free to complain below about the lack of pictures.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I just did some image searching and basically any period correct spoiler looks the same. It's a flat piece of metal angled down at about 45 degrees with some but very little shaping. If you search barracuda or camaro or chevelle or mustang front spoiler I bet you find something you like that you don't have to mod very much to get installed.

Also NO PICTURES WTF rear end in a top hat

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Got bored this weekend.

It's Plasti Dip so it's all removable. I'll be getting a new hood eventually, but I didn't want to risk loving things up with paint regardless. Did the cowl panel, too. I was surprised at how easy it was to actually get that panel off. Hardest thing was taking off the wiper arms. I'm thinking I want to put a yellow stripe on it to match up with the steering wheel. I think I kinda hosed up putting the driver side arm on so I need to pull it back off and re-clock it a bit.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That looks so nice, fits with that particular era of car where black bonnets were so popular

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Heh, bonnet. Thanks :)

Lean Six Ligma
Nov 26, 2005

Dirty Fuckin' Dangles, Boys
Skull and bolts coming next?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
A bit overdone on Novas, yeah? ;)

I'm actually planning on masking out a 1/2" line to match up with the top stripe on the steering wheel and hitting it with some Daytona yellow dip. I actually laid it out a while back and measured everything so I know exactly where it needs to go. Need to pick up some low-tack masking tape and some dip and I should be able to knock that out this weekend. Probably should have waited to put the wipers back on...

I took more of a front 3/4 shot yesterday and I think it looks even better from there. Can't upload it because I'm apparently too stupid to operate the mobile imgur poo poo.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 16, 2018

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

A bit overdone on Novas, yeah? ;)

DEATH RESISTANT :v:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
When we last left our misshapen lump of a project car, it looked like this:

Well as cool as a black hood is, it was still a bit "eh". When I first thought up this thing, I wanted to do a yellow stripe that lines up with the steering wheel stripe. I saw this scheme on a Viper years ago and it's kind of stuck with me since. So with a plan (not really) put together in my head and a wide-open schedule, I got to work.

I had to go get a can of yellow Dip, so I swung by the Depot and grabbed some low-tack masking tape and some masking paper. I'd already done the layout a while back (you might have seen the random blue masking tape on the hood in previous pictures), but I double-checked my measurement so I could at least try to line this thing up and then laid down some tape.

The tape is Delicate Surface Frogtape. I figured that would be better for going over the top of the black Dip and it ended up working really well. Once that was down, I did a layer of the masking paper as well. I took the cowl panel off again and did that as well. I've got a good system for getting the wiper arms off now.

Seven coats later and I pulled off the masking when the last coat was still wet. Lines are crisp as hell (even if the pictures aren't) and I'm super happy with it.

I'll get the cowl panel reinstalled and the hood trim put back on either later on today or maybe tomorrow. Super pleased with how this turned out. It really adds a lot of contrast for not much effort.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That's a neat idea.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Does sthe stripe also move with the inherent sloppiness in the steering system, or your constant dabs of oppo as you drift continuously like a boss?

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
It looks better when you had the 2 yellow strips of tape on. Make the yellow line like the 2 strips of tape looked. That 1 thin stripe looks weird and underwhelming in my opinion.

Make these the stripes:

quote:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Some Guy From NY posted:

It looks better when you had the 2 yellow strips of tape on. Make the yellow line like the 2 strips of tape looked. That 1 thin stripe looks weird and underwhelming in my opinion.

Make these the stripes:

I like this idea, kinda like iron sights. But the front/rear sights would be reversed, so idk

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Mortality Prohibited!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Please don't die, ok?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'm gonna try my damnedest to not get killed in this car, but it's drawn more blood than an inanimate object probably should so I don't really think that's my decision to make anymore.

Got the cowl panel back on this weekend and I'm still happy with the single stripe. Yeah, the dual tape stripes looked cool, but I like this. The last picture I took really shows how goddamn filthy the car is. New phone camera is pretty sharp.

I'm gonna see if I can bring this battery back to life (again), but it's probably done for. Probably need to get a fresh one and I can get this turd fired up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
The one stripe is original I like it.