Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Is that a Lincoln tech tool box under the bench. It looks exactly like the one I got with my school tools. I think they also sell them at napa If I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
gently caress me. Over a month since the last update. I'm such a lazy knob. Hotter'n poo poo in the garage today, but sometimes it's nice to work up a good nasty sweat. I've got a laptop out there now so at least I can play my music shared from the desktop in the house. Soundtrack's a lot better now.

First order of business was not the car, but the Silver Beauty. Found some Rustoleum paint that's pretty close to the original aqua of the case. It's a shade or two lighter, but it looks pretty good. Bit of a before and after shot below.

Can't really see the crustiness of the outer shell in the before picture, but it was covered in scratches and surface rust and old tape. Doesn't look bad now for a 50+ year old piece of garage equipment.

Once that was all buttoned up, I moved back to the parking brake cable. Finished the driver side a while back, but the passenger side's been out there taunting me for the past month. Same bullshit as before. Cut, fit, measure, mark, cut, fit, blah blah blah. But after all that poo poo, I can finally call the brakes DONE. I can now say that I've fully swapped the brakes from a late fourth gen F-body onto my third gen X-body. Feels good man.

A disc brake swap was actually the big thing that I wanted to do to my '72 back in high school, but it's drat hard to do when you don't have any money. I can't wait to go see how they feel.

Feeling nice and accomplished with that done, I figured I'd knock myself back down a peg or two and go investigate my failure at installing the power steering lines. In case you missed it, after I dropped the engine back in and installed all the accessories and fluids, I found a monster loving puddle of power steering fluid under the car a few days later. Covered by towel below:

I tracked it down to the hose fitting on the PS pump and felt like a complete fuckhead for letting that happen. I've been wondering how the gently caress I was going to get a wrench on it since I found it. Anyway, I figured I'd better at least get under there and clean up any fluid that had dripped all over my suspension and subframe. As i was on my back wiping up wherever I could reach, I looked up and noticed something. A straight shot right to the fitting. Grabbed a 5/8 wrench and got on the fitting no problem. Couldn't believe it. I could've used a little longer of a wrench, but I got probably close to a full turn on it before it actually snugged up. Didn't really help me feel like any less of a jackass for forgetting it in the first place, but I'm pretty drat happy I got it done. Topped it back up with PS fluid and stuffed a rag underneath it to try to prevent any major spills again. HOPEFULLY, the rag will be irrelevant because the fitting is tight now.

That leaky PS hose has pretty much been the only thing preventing me from firing it back up. That and the dead battery anyway. With that fixed and the charger back in action, maybe I'll get this fucker fired up before the snow shows up. I've got the charger on the battery now trickling away so maybe, just loving maybe, I can start it next weekend.

That'd be something, huh?

SouthsideSaint posted:

Is that a Lincoln tech tool box under the bench. It looks exactly like the one I got with my school tools. I think they also sell them at napa If I remember right.

Not sure on the brand of toolbox. The flat one of the left is actually for a big rear end Milwaukee right angle drill. Dad couldn't snag the drill, but he got me the box. He got me the big one on the right, too.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So close! Can't wait to see it cranked and running. You've definitely got one of the coolest cars in AI atm. :swoon:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Not sure on the brand of toolbox. The flat one of the left is actually for a big rear end Milwaukee right angle drill. Dad couldn't snag the drill, but he got me the box. He got me the big one on the right, too.

Glad to see the Nova moving along. Its always awesome to see someone rebuild a four door. They get no love and the deserve the most . My hopeful project car is looking to be a four door G body Malibu. And dad toolboxes are better then free school toolboxes any day.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
RAG IS CLEAN! NO PS LEAKS! gently caress yeah. It will start this weekend.

It will.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Well gently caress. I've been hitting it with the charger all week but I left it on trickle for a nice slow charge.

Mistake.

Went out there earlier and got everything all ready to go, got the extinguisher set up (safety first kids), hit the key... and nada. Hooked the charger up, changed it over to "fast" and let it chooch. I had other poo poo to do out there while it charged so I popped the driveshaft back in and did a little housekeeping. Cleaned the windows and other things here and there. I'll need to do a little persuading on the rear wheel wells to get those 275s to fit properly. No major surgery, but some metal needs to move.

Hit the key again and got about a half crank or so and that's about all I could get. Charger's still plugging away while I'm out for the evening so maybe I'll get lucky when I get home. I'm off work tomorrow and I've got a couple hours in the morning to gently caress with it if I need to.

Soon.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sounds like it's either sulphated or you've got a dead cell or two.

You can get some of the mega-beef chargers to try and break up the sulphation but holy poo poo you better be sitting near the battery with a fire extinguisher when you do.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
It's some lame-o battery that they installed when I bought the car. I'll see what it does with the fast charge and if I need a new battery, so be it. I'll be getting a decent battery when it moves to the trunk in the future anyway.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even on trickle, a week should get you at least one crank. That battery is dead.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeah, when I said "all week" I meant more off than on. I was too paranoid about starting a fire to leave the drat thing on while I was at work or otherwise occupied away from the house. I think there's some life in it yet, but we'll see.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just haul it somewhere with a battery tester and they should be able to tell you pretty fast if it's even salvageable. Sounds like no.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Don't even need to do that. Get a free Harbor Freight multimeter, have someone try cranking it while you measure the voltage. Bet it drops down to drat near 0V.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Man, you guys have zero faith the true American Starting Power of an Genuine Ameristart* battery.

https://youtu.be/Czvin9-qSPA

*May not be an actual battery company. May just be a sticker placed on a battery found in a ditch. Only works in domestic cars.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 14, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Times like that I wish I didn't do ahead-of-the-wheel side dumps on my C10. I can't have it running in the garage for very long without flooding the place with CO in a bad way :v:

I should probably get some ductwork like they use at the sniffer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sweet!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Times like that I wish I didn't do ahead-of-the-wheel side dumps on my C10. I can't have it running in the garage for very long without flooding the place with CO in a bad way :v:

I should probably get some ductwork like they use at the sniffer.

Ha. Funny you say that. Mine currently dumps straight out of the (transverse) muffler and pretty much shoots straight past the passenger rear wheel. I threw the tailpipe in the trash when I replaced the muffler. I had the same setup on my old 72, but not necessarily on purpose...

The garage stank for a couple days after the start, even with the door open while it was running. Oh well :v:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

drat that's gotta feel good! Take video when you back it out too.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

mafoose posted:

Get rid of the metal fan! Since you're "retromodding", get a Volvo/Taurus/Contour efan setup (they move a lot of cfm and usually one of them should fit your rad), Volvo 2 speed efan relay, Saab coolant tee, VW efan 2 speed switch, wire it up and you have a dummy proof almost OEM efan setup.

Digging this poo poo up because I wanted to revisit it. I'll be going e-fan eventually with the LQ swap, but I'd like to get a cheap electric setup going now if I could. Obviously it'll take some digging around to find a fan that fits nicely, but how would I go about getting all the other poo poo wired up? Not much of an electrical guy, unfortunately.

Edit: The more I look around, the more info I find. If anybody here has done something like this, I'd love to hear it first hand.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 28, 2015

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I've done an electric fan install before in the simplest way I could. All the connections are premade connectors and ring terminals. I used a temperature switch in the thermostat housing to drive the relay. Some Chevrolets have a threaded port that is plugged. I found that switch to be a cleaner install than coolant tees or playing with sensor settings on a fan controller.

I used a 12v ignition source for the relay. The problem with that is the fan will run with key on engine off when warm, which causes a slow cranking condition. Not a big deal to me. I didn't want to run a new accessory source to under the hood.

The relay grounds through the switch to the engine.

The relay switches power straight off the battery to the fan.

The fan is directly grounded to the battery. I did that in hopes that the battery acts as a suppression resistor. I didn't bother with a freewheeling diode.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I've done an electric fan install before in the simplest way I could. All the connections are premade connectors and ring terminals. I used a temperature switch in the thermostat housing to drive the relay. Some Chevrolets have a threaded port that is plugged. I found that switch to be a cleaner install than coolant tees or playing with sensor settings on a fan controller.

I used a 12v ignition source for the relay. The problem with that is the fan will run with key on engine off when warm, which causes a slow cranking condition. Not a big deal to me. I didn't want to run a new accessory source to under the hood.

The relay grounds through the switch to the engine.

The relay switches power straight off the battery to the fan.

The fan is directly grounded to the battery. I did that in hopes that the battery acts as a suppression resistor. I didn't bother with a freewheeling diode.

Thanks. I've been researching the poo poo out of this thing and I found a good thread on the SyTy forums of all places. I'm piecing together a plan and I'll hopefully score some parts this weekend. Continental fan, Volvo relay, BMW and/or VW sensors.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
My preferred method for a standalone efan is a Volvo relay, 2 speed fan of your choice (the Volvo one is great), a Saab 900 coolant t, and a 2 speed vw sensor with on and off temps of your choosing.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I take it the VW sensor will thread onto the Saab T? There's actually a couple spots on the engine that guys like to use for temp sensors, but they're 1/2x14 npt. VW sensors are metric so that's a bit of a bummer. I'm gonna grab a bunch of different stuff tomorrow so we'll see what I can get together. Lots of guys use BMW sensors as well so I'll see if I can find one to play with.

Edit: Ugh, I feel like such a knob asking this, but do you guys have any tips on finding a good switched 12v source under the hood for this fan? I'm thinking power during ignition on. I've got a multimeter so that should help, but I'm pretty ignorant with electrical stuff. I've read that I should check the positive side of the coil as that's probably a good source. Not really looking forward to running a wire halfway around the drat engine compartment, but oh well.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 3, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think there's much ignition-hot wiring under the hood that isn't going to be feeding the... ignition.

Run a relay off of the positive terminal, trigger it with a switched wire from the fusebox on the firewall.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Yep, the vw sensor threads right into the Saab T. You can't use the stock Saab switch because it's the overheating ac cutoff (like 220F).

I think you could use something ignition related for relay control. The thing is, the Volvo relay is setup to be always hot, with the controls being ground by the ECU. What you could do is wire a dpdt relay to the controls, and have the relay bridge the connection when hot (key in run), so that it disconnects the circuits when the key is off.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Man, you guys have zero faith the true American Starting Power of an Genuine Ameristart* battery.

https://youtu.be/Czvin9-qSPA

*May not be an actual battery company. May just be a sticker placed on a battery found in a ditch. Only works in domestic cars.

That sounds really good to me.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Fan and relays acquired. No idea where the Saab part lives though. Got a few 900s to pick from, but I dont really know what im looking for. Any pointers?

Edit: Well, 3 outta 4. Got the Continental fan, Volvo relay, some other Bosche relays, VW sensor, and a hood latch support for the Mustang. Couldn't find the drat Saab part. Couldn't even find any pictures to see where to look. The hunt continues.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 3, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

This is what it looks like:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/381379608551?_mwBanner=1

I think it's on the passenger side hose. Pretty easy to spot.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

mafoose posted:

This is what it looks like:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/381379608551?_mwBanner=1

I think it's on the passenger side hose. Pretty easy to spot.

Looks like it's for 84-93 cars (and 94 convertibles). Oldest 900 the yard had was a '94 hatch. drat. I think I found a part number, though: 9332826. From what I can tell, it's an $80 part that's NLA...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Have you considered getting an NPT-to-whatever adapter fitting so you can just stick the VW sensor into the head somewhere, or similar?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
If you know of a couple places on the engine that people use for sensors, just use those instead of the coolant tee.
Here are a bunch of temp switches. Pick the temps and thread size you need. If you can't find one dual temp switch that you need, use two switches. Or run both fans off one switch.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Went back to the yard today to see if I could find one of the BMW sensors. Got a beauty that still had the cover over the wire connections. The threads on it are smaller at 14mm x 1.5 compared to the 22nd of the VW unit. I figured I could buy a tee with a standard 3/8 npt port and drill and re-tap to 14mm if I had to.

Then I found this: http://jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_TPI-TBI_Brass-Tees.html There's a tee on that page that will fit the BMW sensor with no modification. That's currently at the top of the list if I can't track down a Saab tee in the immediate future.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Sorry to send you on a wild hunt, I didn't know they were NLA and I used to trip over Saabs in the yard.

Went there this weekend, only car of the right vintage was already missing the T.

At least all the metric stuff is straight threads so drilling and retapping a cheap eBay one should be easy.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
All good. It's a popular part for guys doing the Taurus fan and it seems like everybody can't help but stumble across the drat things. Nothing's easy when you're doing custom poo poo. There's always another option.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Other option: superior German engineering.

I bailed on the VW sensor and Saab tee as apparently those 900s are unicorns and the tees are like baby hermaphrodite unicorns. Instead, I'm going with a BMW sensor. They seem to be the popular choice right alongside the VW units. As luck would have it, JagsThatRun actually sells a coolant tee in 1.5" with a 14mm x 1.5 fitting in it. This will go in my radiator hose and the BMW sensor will thread right in.

I spent some time going over that post on the SyTy forums that I found and got everything all wired up correctly (I believe). 12v into the Volvo relay is coming from the battery and switched 12v into the Bosch relay (present but not in picture) as coming from the + side of the coil. Sprinkle in some grounds and wiring the various small harnesses together and you get this:

The edit in red kinda shows where the tee and sensor will go. Once that's in, it's pretty well ready to rock. Only real thing I have to do is figure out how I'm going to mount the relays. Unfortunately, the Bosch relay doesn't have the cute little tab mount that some do. I could go buy one, but I don't really want to spend money to replace a good part that I got for free. I'm thinking some zip ties with the screw holes like these. I think we've got some kicking around work so I'll snag a couple on Monday and see if they will work. Any ideas from the gallery?

Also pictured above is my super awesome* fan mounting solution. The top radiator support/holder has two nice little holes on either end for the original fan shroud. The new fan tucks into the bottom of the support rather nicely, but the top was a hair short. I scrounged around in the yard the other day and cut that piece of plastic off an old Town Car. Cleaned it up, drilled some holes, and oingo boingo. Looks like rear end but it's actually pretty steady.

So yeah, hopefully I'll get that part by next weekend and I'll have a fancy pants e-fan setup done for about $70.

*Ghetto as gently caress.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Instead, I'm going with a BMW sensor. They seem to be the popular choice right alongside the VW units. As luck would have it, JagsThatRun actually sells a coolant tee in 1.5" with a 14mm x 1.5 fitting in it. This will go in my radiator hose and the BMW sensor will thread right in.

Turn back now man, the curse of the GDCS isn't in your car yet, there is still time

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Other option: superior German engineering.

I bailed on the VW sensor and Saab tee as apparently those 900s are unicorns and the tees are like baby hermaphrodite unicorns. Instead, I'm going with a BMW sensor. They seem to be the popular choice right alongside the VW units. As luck would have it, JagsThatRun actually sells a coolant tee in 1.5" with a 14mm x 1.5 fitting in it. This will go in my radiator hose and the BMW sensor will thread right in.

I spent some time going over that post on the SyTy forums that I found and got everything all wired up correctly (I believe). 12v into the Volvo relay is coming from the battery and switched 12v into the Bosch relay (present but not in picture) as coming from the + side of the coil. Sprinkle in some grounds and wiring the various small harnesses together and you get this:

The edit in red kinda shows where the tee and sensor will go. Once that's in, it's pretty well ready to rock. Only real thing I have to do is figure out how I'm going to mount the relays. Unfortunately, the Bosch relay doesn't have the cute little tab mount that some do. I could go buy one, but I don't really want to spend money to replace a good part that I got for free. I'm thinking some zip ties with the screw holes like these. I think we've got some kicking around work so I'll snag a couple on Monday and see if they will work. Any ideas from the gallery?

Also pictured above is my super awesome* fan mounting solution. The top radiator support/holder has two nice little holes on either end for the original fan shroud. The new fan tucks into the bottom of the support rather nicely, but the top was a hair short. I scrounged around in the yard the other day and cut that piece of plastic off an old Town Car. Cleaned it up, drilled some holes, and oingo boingo. Looks like rear end but it's actually pretty steady.

So yeah, hopefully I'll get that part by next weekend and I'll have a fancy pants e-fan setup done for about $70.

*Ghetto as gently caress.

Is it the quest to source all this stuff from the 'yard that has you chasing all the wacky metric stuff, and the hose tee? A quick trip to the local auto parts store for an NPT temperature sensor that screws right into the intake manifold water passage would have you going faster (and with less leak points than cutting a radiator hose) than chasing all the hose adapters? Or, just go to summitracing.com and buy a coolant hose sender adapter (tee) and have it tomorrow, if you want to go that route? The fan is the really expensive part of that project, and you got a good one very cheap.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

jhcain posted:

Is it the quest to source all this stuff from the 'yard that has you chasing all the wacky metric stuff, and the hose tee? A quick trip to the local auto parts store for an NPT temperature sensor that screws right into the intake manifold water passage would have you going faster (and with less leak points than cutting a radiator hose) than chasing all the hose adapters? Or, just go to summitracing.com and buy a coolant hose sender adapter (tee) and have it tomorrow, if you want to go that route? The fan is the really expensive part of that project, and you got a good one very cheap.

The only real hangup was that tee and I've got one on the way. I'm really not concerned about cutting the hose. If it leaks, I'll figure it out, but I doubt it will.

8ender posted:

Turn back now man, the curse of the GDCS isn't in your car yet, there is still time

I fear no curse. :colbert:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Looks good!

You should be able to find a 5/6 pin relay connector with a mounting provision at your local electronics store.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Mmm...

Yisss...

I'll get that in this weekend and hopefully my fan will run without setting fire to my garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Fitting and sensor are in, but not finalized. I forgot to buy 2 more hose clamps because I am a dumb. Looks cool though. Got the relays "mounted" to the rad support as well. I didn't get a chance to fire it up since I don't have that hose clamped on, but I did hook the battery up and nothing burst into flames, so I figure that's probably a good sign.

Since that was as done as it was going to get for the day and I still had time to spend, I figured I'd finally get the loving instrument panel put back in. I yanked it probably around the same time I pulled the engine in '13. I had pulled it in order to repair the broken speedometer. The needle had gotten snapped off at some point. I rigged it up with some bracing and some superglue and it's been sitting around forever waiting to be put back in. I was getting it ready to go back in a couple weeks ago when I noticed the loving needle was broken off again. Must have happened somewhere in all the jostling around. Probably good that it happened while still out of the car because had it happened after reinstallation, I might have flipped. Luckily, I had grabbed another speedo mechanism with needle from a '73 car in one of my yard trips. The needle is a little faded, but at least it's in one piece. Mileage isn't right, but who gives a poo poo.

See that little thing poking out above the steering wheel shaft? It's a little plastic tube that the horn contact locks onto. I snapped that fucker of quite a while back and hadn't bothered to dick with it until I got the panel back in. I hit it with a healthy dose of superglue and I'm hoping it holds up. Not the end of the world if it doesn't, but I won't have a horn. Obviously, that's frowned upon.

While I was under there doing up screws and whatnot, I couldn't help but notice the shitfest of a leftover stereo install from some PO. Snipped 4 speaker wires and pulled 2 wires from the fuse box and then tossed this in the garbage.

Poorly crimped butts, taped connections (probably when they ran out of butts), and one connection was just 2 wires twisted together. No nut, no butt, no tape. loving clowns.

Gotta get a couple 2" hose clamps so I can get that fitting buttoned up and then I'll move on to clearancing the rear wheels and getting the front springs installed. Need to get some shocks bought so I can get those swapped as well. See ya next time.