Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

henpod posted:

Shall we just pretend Jesus Crisis wasn't written and performed by a 50 year old man

Seriously that chorus is so sad.

The Say 10 thing doesn't even register if you haven't read the track name, it just sounds like "you say God, I say Satan". Maybe the pronounciation is a little off, but that's not unusual for Manson anyway. The verse on that track is pretty great though. Actually, the album is surprisingly good overall - some awful lyrics and weak choruses, but also some great early Ministry-esque percussion and a surprisingly good, raw vocal performance. Almost every track has at least something I really like and a few of the tracks might have been good enough for his best albums. The guitar is a little weak overall though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

Seriously that chorus is so sad.

The Say 10 thing doesn't even register if you haven't read the track name, it just sounds like "you say God, I say Satan". Maybe the pronounciation is a little off, but that's not unusual for Manson anyway. The verse on that track is pretty great though. Actually, the album is surprisingly good overall - some awful lyrics and weak choruses, but also some great early Ministry-esque percussion and a surprisingly good, raw vocal performance. Almost every track has at least something I really like and a few of the tracks might have been good enough for his best albums. The guitar is a little weak overall though.

Say10 is a pretty weak play on words compared to Warship my Wreck imo.
On the other hand Cocaine and Able is pretty nice.

Also, who cares about 50 year old men singing about Satan.
That summarizes easily half of the current metal field.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cocaine and Abel is ok on a surface level but doesn't actually mean anything. His Mechanical Animals word play (pheno-Barbie doll/manic-queen of depression) is still the best he's ever done at that kinda poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i feel like we're getting away from what's important, which is that "SAY10" sounds like a late 80s NIN song until the chorus, and it owns because of this

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

https://www.yahoo.com/music/marilyn-manson-addresses-stage-mishap-delayed-2017-tour-194531499.html

quote:

What might have looked on video like Manson shaking or trying to ascend the prop was actually the performer’s desperate effort to prevent it from collapsing. “I wasn’t trying to climb it,” he says. “It started to fall and I tried to push back and I didn’t get out the way in time. I’m not sure what I hit my head on, but it did fall onto my leg and break the fibula in two places. The pain was excruciating.”

Manson was immediately placed on a stretcher, and taken to a hospital to be examined and X-rayed. Doctors inserted a plate and 10 screws into the bone, plus another screw through his ankle bone, then wrapped a solid cast around his leg. It often takes people with such injuries between 12 and 16 weeks to recover, according to Healthline.

Considering the weight of the metal framework that fell over, Manson’s lucky his injuries weren’t far worse. “It definitely could have crushed my skull and my ribs,” Manson says. “I have some minor bruising in that area, but it took six guys to pull it off of me. It was like wrestling a giant iron monster.”

Really doesn't look like he's pushing the prop back in the videos (looks more like he's pulling it instead). Wish him the best either way. Going to see him live next month

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Badchay posted:

https://www.yahoo.com/music/marilyn-manson-addresses-stage-mishap-delayed-2017-tour-194531499.html

Really doesn't look like he's pushing the prop back in the videos (looks more like he's pulling it instead). Wish him the best either way. Going to see him live next month

Milwaukee show was supposed to be earlier this week(?) and its been pushed to Feb, so hopefully you dont get stuck in delays and reschedules!

https://twitter.com/1049thexrocks/status/918874749547286528

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If Manson is smart he'll capitalize on this dumb rear end poo poo Trump said today.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Manson's always been one of those idiots that think both sides are equally bad.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Vince MechMahon posted:

If Manson is smart he'll capitalize on this dumb rear end poo poo Trump said today.

You're going to have to be more specific. He says a lot of dumb rear end poo poo every day.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

[quote="“Badchay”" post="“477370413”"]
You’re going to have to be more specific. He says a lot of dumb rear end poo poo every day.
[/quote]

Also, Manson's time have passed in that. His rise to fame was (as for every other artist) a combination of talent, timing and luck.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

Definitely keen to hear what Marilyn Manson thinks about Donald Trump.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Badchay posted:

You're going to have to be more specific. He says a lot of dumb rear end poo poo every day.

"In America we don't worship government. We worship God."

The former title track is literally a response to it. And the teaser video even had decapitated fake Trump.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

A human heart posted:

Definitely keen to hear what Marilyn Manson thinks about Donald Trump.

This: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMiyEgSj1-5/ (nsfw)

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

The entire album has been uploaded to YouTube by Manson:

HEAVEN UPSIDE DOWN

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

He didn't vote for Hillary, either; probably because she kept vociferously blaming 'violent' video games and music for society's problems in the 90s.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

viral spiral posted:

He didn't vote for Hillary, either; probably because she kept vociferously blaming 'violent' video games and music for society's problems in the 90s.

Which btw is entirely consistent for MM.
or to cite ACS first song " I don't need to chose a side".
Also, wasn't Tipper Gore a major proponent for doing the whole moral outrage thing?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yes, Tipper Gore was one of the heads of the PMRC

Jello Biafra relates the story of taking a limo with her for their appearance on Oprah (or maybe Donahue) where she tried to make small talk and said "You know, my kids love the punk rock, Bunny and the Echo-men..."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And it wasn't until I absent mindedly click this thread today that I found out that MM formed in the city I live now. That's always nice to know.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Getting word today that Scott Putesky a.k.a. Daisy Berkowitz has passed away.

edit: Confirmed via Jessicka.

If Brian brushes this off like he ignored Brad's death, I'm loving done with this band.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 22, 2017

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Dang, I knew he had cancer for awhile, but was hoping he beat it.

He was the soul of the band for the first 5 years.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah as much as Manson tried to minimize Daisy's contributions in the book, Daisy was like 50% of Marilyn Manson up until he got kicked out. The band was never quite as fun after.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Between this and Twiggy being outed as a rapist this has been a bad day for Manson.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

Between this and Twiggy being outed as a rapist this has been a bad day for Manson.

Twiggy outed as a what now?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Twiggy outed as a what now?

He raped Jessicka and, according to her, several other women as well that she's aware of.

https://pitchfork.com/news/marilyn-manson-bassist-twiggy-ramirez-accused-of-rape/

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't know what to say, I'm kinda shocked, kinda not. I had gathered her relationship with Jeordie White was hosed up in some way and you can kinda pick up on it in JOJ's music. I know there was a lot of 3-way behind the scenes drama going on in the mid/late 90s between Manson, JOJ, and Psychotica.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 27, 2018

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Well that all kind of sucks. Time to not give MM anymore funds ever, which shouldn't be hard. RIP Daisy.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah as much as Manson tried to minimize Daisy's contributions in the book, Daisy was like 50% of Marilyn Manson up until he got kicked out. The band was never quite as fun after.

Eh, that is basically Portrait, Smells and max 50% of ACS, all 20 years ago or so.
Neither MA nor HW have much to do with Daisy.
So talk about a limited amount of records to be upset about. This is almost Newsted levels......

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Vince MechMahon posted:

He raped Jessicka and, according to her, several other women as well that she's aware of.

https://pitchfork.com/news/marilyn-manson-bassist-twiggy-ramirez-accused-of-rape/

Why does Manson need Twiggy around anyway? He has Tyler Bates now.

Also, Manson's best work was made without Putesky. That is simply a fact.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

viral spiral posted:

Why does Manson need Twiggy around anyway? He has Tyler Bates now.

Also, Manson's best work was made without Putesky. That is simply a fact.

That is simply an opinion.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Cardiac posted:

Eh, that is basically Portrait, Smells and max 50% of ACS, all 20 years ago or so.
So talk about a limited amount of records to be upset about. This is almost Newsted levels......

It has basically been a meme in the Marilyn Manson world for the past 10-15 years: "X made the band what it is and when X left the band has sucked since!"

RIP Daisy though

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Cardiac posted:

Plus Grist-O-Line, Lunchbox, The Beaver Meat Cleaver Beat, Raw Boned Psalms, Big Black Bus, and After School Special.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Badchay posted:

It has basically been a meme in the Marilyn Manson world for the past 10-15 years: "X made the band what it is and when X left the band has sucked since!"

RIP Daisy though

RIP of course. cancer sucks.

As for his creative input, I am just referring to Jason Newsted who was the new bass player in Metallica for 20 years , including some of their most successful ones. But he was always the new one.

MM specifically says in Long hard road that Daisy's way was not what he wanted for the band and in hindsight this is probably true considering he only plays a minor part in one of MMs top 3 records.
What did he do on his own btw? I haven't encountered his name in other bands? If he was that good, he should have been able to make a career on his own. But if he didn't, that basically proves the point.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 27, 2018

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Ah I was wondering why Twiggy locked up his Twitter and went silent.

At the one show I went to it seemed like Manson was the drunk mess and Twiggy was holding the show together. Interesting to see where everything falls if Twiggy is back out.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Cardiac posted:

What did he do on his own btw? I haven't encountered his name in other bands? If he was that good, he should have been able to make a career on his own. But if he didn't, that basically proves the point.
There are two albums by Three Ton Gate on Spotify. I actually bought them from Scott many many years ago. They're... okay. I think the biggest thing holding him back was that he was neither a good singer nor a good lyricist, and he never found another person he clicked with like he did with Manson.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Leon Einstein posted:

That is simply an opinion.

Are you pretending Portrait of an American Family is a good album? If so :lol:

I'm not sure how I feel about the Twiggy situation here. Does Jessicka have any evidence behind her claims?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

viral spiral posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about the Twiggy situation here. Does Jessicka have any evidence behind her claims?

:discourse: Yeah, she carefully and methodically preserved evidence and records of her boyfriend raping her as an 19-or-whatever year old. Good thing she did so it's okay for us to believe her.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

InfrastructureWeek posted:

:discourse: Yeah, she carefully and methodically preserved evidence and records of her boyfriend raping her as an 19-or-whatever year old. Good thing she did so it's okay for us to believe her.

So you're okay with destroying a person's professional life without any evidence? :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

viral spiral posted:

So you're okay with destroying a person's professional life without any evidence? :waycool:

She has a witness who literally pulled him off of her. gently caress off, rape apologist.

• Locked thread