Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna groans quietly as she finally gets up. The ringing is... still there, but not quite as SHARP. Her vision is not quite swimming so much either.

"M... matron...?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

Joanna

"...firmary!"

Graviat and Anjou discuss something heatedly amongst themselves as Joanna's hearing slowly returns and by the end of it Graviat limps her way over while Anjou moves on into the still burning Dining Hall.

"Lend me your shoulder? No sense in us hanging around here if we're both worse for wear is it?"

Graviat smiled and held out an arm, taking Joanna's proffered shoulder in a surprisingly steady grip.

"Matron... are you alright?"

"Just a bit woozy dear. We'll head down to the Infirmary and Matron Cressida will have me fit and ready in no time flat. Don't you worry."

Limping along the halls Joanna tamped down her own sense of discomfort and panic, more than dimly aware of the smell of charred flesh and blood coming off of Graviat's back as they walked.

"Are you sure?"

"Mm, let's keep moving."

Somewhere along the way another Matron appeared, and between them made it to the Infirmary in good time. Joanna flushed in relief, spotting her roommates and the other girls from the Dining Hall reclining on the infirmary beds.

"Joanna! You're ok."

Andy leapt up from the side of Mary's bed, rubbing the other girl's hand reassuringly as she tried to sit up despite the pile of pillows and blankets hemming her in. Mary murmured quietly, apparently nonplussed by the towel draped over the top of her face.

"What happened? I smell blood."

It's the girl who was spazzing out before. And Andy, and Mary. And uh... other girl? Everybody looks ok. Mostly.

Elena Quick

Elena laid back comfortably, cocooned in the crisp white sheets and puffy pillows of the infirmary's bedspread. It was warm enough that the last of the chill from whatever had gone wrong earlier had melted away and she took a deep breath as she stretched, the beeping of the machine the Matron had hooked her up to gently keeping time.

"I've double checked your files, and neither of you have any history of seizures..."

Matron Cressida flips through the paperwork one last time before checking Elena's pupils and repeating the procedure on Traci.

"You're sure she didn't take a blow to the head? Stick a fork in a socket?"

"No, she just started shaking and freaking out and then Traci did too."

"Well it's definitely not food poisoning. Who said it was food poisoning? I'm not seeing anything that looks like that happened here, not to mention food poisoning wouldn't have any of the symptoms you described earlier. You both look fine. You can hang around in here for the rest of the afternoon if you want, just in case something else happens but as far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with you."

She rotated in her chair to check on her other patient, the older girl still laid out on the bed with a cool cloth over her eyes.

"You, you stay put too. Whatever happened, your eyes are still pretty badly irritated and I've got to figure out just what happened there."

Suddenly the building booms and shakes, and the Matrons exchange a glance before Katzen moves to check the door. She peers into the hall and after receiving a nod from Cressida strides out back in the direction of the Dining Hall before returning moments later with another girl and a Matron looking much the worse for wear. Is that blood? The Matron shuffled forward with the help of Katzen's arm, the smell of burnt meat and blood wafting behind her.

"Need another bed cleared for Graviat here."

One of the girls who'd carried Elena in the first place leapt up at the new arrival,

"Joanna! You're ok."

The blinded girl murmured softly.

"What happened? I smell blood."

Elena, Joanna, etc.

Emily Hartwell

Auto-rolled for you to avoid crowd damage from the whole fleeing thing. Assuming you don't want to Hulk out...

Roll for Emily to resist damage from the crowd. Applying +2 Scrapper: 2d6+2 6

A pretty poor roll, well let's see how badly you get crowdstomped...

Crowdpower to trample Emily, +2 Frightened Mob: 2d6+2 4

Wow. Ok that's definitely a thing.

Emily had found herself caught up in the chaos of the evacuation, hand gripping Cathy's wrist with a firm but gentle lock that the other girl patted reassuringly but worriedly.

"Hey look out!"

A panicked older girl stumbled, flailing out for purchase as she tipped towards Emily but the small girl scowled as she brought up an arm and stopped her in her tracks. Compared to some of the worse places she'd been the frightened and retreating mob wasn't that bad. Having followed the motion of the fleeing crowd a ways from the Dining Hall she pulled Cathy towards the shelter of a nearby doorway and waited for the worst of the traffic to pass.

"I uh, I think we're safe now. You can probably let go. Emily? Only my arm's kind of..."

She opened her mouth to answer when suddenly an explosion rocked the building from the direction they had just come. Emily flinched, reflexively pulling back from a panic before she realize that her other hand was empty- poo poo, her bag! Most of her stored food (and clothes) were in that bag! Someone had shouted something about a bomb, was this it? Had someone put together the pieces about her... unpleasant past? A bomb would probably kill her just the same as anybody else right? She waffled in indecision and fear. Stay with the crowd, head back to investigate the explosion, or... something else?

Anyway that's your cue. Advance or Flee. I was hoping to give you an injury or two in order to steer you towards the Infirmary but looks like we'll have to settle for you having given Cathy one.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!

(The dice gods have spoken in my favor. Enjoy that, Puppies.)

Emily Hartwell

Emily's expression darkened as she shoved the flailing girl aside and pulled Cathy away. And then, the explosion.

She could be one of them, Emily realized horribly. This could be a setup.

But...it wasn't quite right. Emily wasn't actually stupid, after all. She knew how to think.

It doesn't make sense. If Cathy is part of some conspiracy against me, she wouldn't have been holding my hand when a bomb went off. That would be stupid.

And there might not be a real conspiracy. Just a lot of basically normal people who happen to be assholes.

None of what I've seen really fits with her being against me. Not everyone in the world is evil, or else life's not worth living anyway.

Emily straightened, still holding onto Cathy's hand (though more relaxed now), and she made a choice.

"Cathy? Let's get you to the...nurse's office? Infirmary? Whatever. Get you there and then I'll figure out the rest of what I'm doing." She could just walk the other girl to the medical care she needed, and...then figure out if her bag survived.

Nothing in my bag was worth anything anyway.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna's ringing ear's had gone down from a loud EEEEEE sound to a quiet hum in the background. Annoying, but better than usual.

She was... also understandably worried about the matron, even as she helped as best she could.

Seeing the others was a relief, even if she didn't quite get the escape of the noise one expects in an infirmary, but she was glad to see them ok.

"Ah... yeah, I, uh, went to get the matrons, when we came back it was empty but... boom." She motions towards Graviat. "I... she... pushed me down... she's hurt a lot worse than me."

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Elena Quick
Currently Thinking - I wonder if the blankets on my bed are that comfortable?

Oh no, there was an explosion? How? Did I do that too somehow?

Despite all the inner turmoil she was feeling, Elena kept a calm expression. Maybe relaxing in the blankets had helped her destress.

Anyways, she looked from the blind girl to the newcomers to the room. The nurse had seemed suspicious of her, but she might as well ask her if she could help. After she introduced herself to the new people of course.

Looking towards the new girls, Elena both smiled and waved. "Hey, I'm Elena." They probably knew she was the girl that had started choking god she didn't even want to think about that everyone saw that in the cafeteria earlier, no sense mentioning it. "Does she need a bed?" She pointed at the one she was in, and shifted out of her blankets to standing by it. Slight owww, her legs were half-asleep.

"Uhh, Matron Cressida? Do you need any help right now? Could I like, stay and do anything?" She was feeling kind-of very guilty, might as well try and assuage that. Plus, it meant more time in the infirmary which automatically meant everyone not there would assume she was still getting looked at which logically meant that what happened to her was serious. Maybe she'd get some sympathy, or people would want to talk to her to ask what would happen at which point they'd think she's cool for not letting it bother her.

---

Sticking around in the infirmary to help if she can.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Elena Quick & Joanna

"No, you just sit tight and make sure to let me know if you start to feel poorly again. I've got the stomach pump unpacked and warmed up already so there's no sense in wasting the effort if it does turn out you've eaten something you shouldn't."

Cressida looked around the room and took a quick headcount, mulling over the odds that she'd need to be on hand to handle triage or new emergencies as she helped ease Graviat onto an available bed. She held a whispered conference with Katzen and Graviat, and the unwounded Matron nodded before leaving the room again at a quick pace.

"Pushed her out of the way and took the blast yourself huh? How heroic... you girls probably won't want to watch me take care of this."

She unfolded a set of privacy screens and set them around the bed, calling out from behind them after she did.

"Put on some music or something. It's going to sound as bad as it looks. Oh! That's how you can help, keep an eye out and let me know if anybody else comes in or looks like they're dying. Give me a shout."

After the first sharp intake of breath and horribly moist peeling noise, the uninjured girls in the room scrambled to find the nearest radio which turned out to be on Cressida's desk. A hurried flick of the buttons started the CD player going, and some old Spice Girls song began to softly play.

"So uh... hi. I'm Andy and this is Mary. You're Xin Ye's new roommates right? I saw you guys sitting with her earlier... Glad you're not poisoned?"

The taller girl smiled awkwardly and introduced herself and the blinded girl beside her again for good measure.

"Joanna? Are you ok? Come and take a seat over here, these beds are super comfortable and I'm really curious to hear about what happened after you left. There was a boom?"

The blinded girl (Mary) patted the wall of cushions beside her.

Emily Hartwell

Cathy still firmly in hand Emily wound her way towards the Infirmary, stopping occasionally to ask for directions. For an orphanage this place was huge. Ridiculously huge, and with all these old-timey grandfather clocks every couple of halls ticking along. It kind of gave her the creeps. The atmosphere of the place had changed too, girls whispered quietly behind their hands or in darkened corners and a lot of people were avoiding eye contact.

Emily rounded the corner to the Infirmary just in time to see a Matron taking off at a near run, probably in the direction of the Dining Hall. She knocked, but hearing no response pushed open the door to the soft tunes of some old song she couldn't name or bother to remember.

And now everybody is together again. Yay! Now to see if you find death or cake.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna didn't like the radio. To her ears, the levels popped too much.

It was still better than what was happening behind curtains, so she... tolerated it.

At Mary's request, she goes to sit besides her. "... Um... yeah. I had told them about the whole collapsing thing, and then they were searching... just... boom all of a sudden. The matron-- wait, I already said that..." ... then she blinks as she notices Mary's eyes. "... uh... what... what happened to you?"

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Everybody - Infirmary

"After you left somebody set off a bomb or a flash or something. I got whatever it was right in the eye. Everything else is kind of a blur, or hah still is."

Mary laughed sardonically, reaching for Joanna's hand and taking it before following her arm to her head. Her face took a nervously contemplative expression for a moment before she settled down onto her pile of pillows.

"I'm glad you're ok. We should probably get Matron Cressida to give you some aspirin or something when she's done."

"Ah, hello? Sorry to interrupt your thing here, but is Matron Cressida around? I need a thing for my wrist. It's... a little bruised from the thing earlier."

A pair of new arrivals leaned in and waved from the Infirmary's door, one of them raising her wrist which was already beginning to turn black and blue.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

What a first day. Seriously. Poison, explotions, and... who knows what the hell else?

She makes a face upon seeing the girl's wrist. "... Uuuh... the matron is... treating somebody behind the curtain. Um... Matron?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Everybody - Infirmary

"Is somebody dying? Because if they're not dying or bleeding right now I'm a little occupied!"

Something dark splattered against the privacy screen, and Cressida raised her voice with some annoyance.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Elena Quick

"No, everything's fine matron." Elena responded automatically, seeing an opportunity to actually find out what everyone else in the cafeteria had thought about what happpened.

Smiling weakly (she was supposed to be feeling sick still, she supposed) at the newcomers, Elena tried to start up a conversation. "Hi, I'm Elena... so, what all happened? I, uh, only know about the first part. Something about a... laser?" Hopefully she didn't look as guilty as she felt - then again, it's not like the girl she maybe blinded could see her expression.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Everyone

"That's really... something. You guys feel free to figure that out, I'm just going to slip in here and maybe get some ACE bandages or Icy-Hot or something and we'll get right out of your way. All we saw was people screaming and running away. That was all."

Cathy edged around the office, avoiding whatever ominous discussion was yet to break between the room's occupants and trying not to get too close to the privacy screen. She turned to her roommate, the discomfort of her arm playing up her nervousness at being potentially dragged into something lasered or dangerous.

"Emily? First aid kit?"

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!

Emily Hartwell

"I'm Emily. Um...there was something about poison, and then a really big boom?" Emily almost immediately regretted opening her mouth, but then, it wasn't like she was volunteering anything secret. She flinched slightly at the impact on the privacy screen, and inched away to follow Cathy, eyes still tracking the other girls in the room briefly.

"Sorry about your arm," she murmured awkwardly, searching around for...ice packs or bandages or something. "It's, uh, not always like this around here, is it?"

She'd hardly believed Matron Melua's speech, but somehow, even Emily had still expected better.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

"God I hope not." Joanna idly rubs her head. "Was really hoping it was much more... quiet than this."

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Everyone

"Usually it's a little less explode-y, so you're probably ok on that count. Ah! Great."

Emily held up the first aid kit she'd dug up from one of the office's cupboards and blinked in surprise as Cathy hurried across the room to meet her. With a nod to Emily, she took the box and after some fumbling around began to apply ointment and bandages to her arm unsuccessfully.

"Just gotta uh... maybe..."

Her now tied in a clumsy ball Emily smiled all around as she shoved the remaining bandages back into the kit and motioned with her free arm.

"Yep! Gonna be fine! Shall we go Emily? There's definitely going to be all sorts of stuff we have to do, like uh... see about which lessons you'd like to sign up for!"

Not waiting for an answer she cheerily made her way to the door only to be intercepted by Andy, who took her by the arm as the two shared a fast paced and whispered discussion.

"can't be..."

"...too early!..."

"Cathy. Wait. Don't run off. Stop and think about where you are right now and what you're doing ok? Don't panic. Are you hurt? Come here, let me see."

Mary's voice was quiet but firm, and it stopped the other two older girls in their tracks just as the situation was about to become heated. A range of expression flickered across Cathy's face, anger, resentment, acceptance and something else before she nodded and grudgingly took a seat at Mary's bedside and extended her poorly bandaged arm. "You hurt your arm? It's not so bad is it? Sit still and I'll bandage it properly for you." Carefully and slowly Mary unwound the ball of bandages around Cathy's arm, reapplying the ointment and bandages cleanly with practiced ease despite the towel covering her eyes.

"Here's what we're going to do. We're going to go together to the classrooms and find Matron Strauss, she'll know about whatever's going on and if it's safe and then afterwards we can get the three of you signed up for afternoon lessons. I've got Advanced Latin myself later so I need to head that way anyway." She peeled the towel away from her eyes and blinked owlishly at her handiwork.

"There. Isn't that much better? I think I can see a bit now. Still a little blurry but Matron did say that it'd get better on its own anyway. Everybody's ok, and nobody's panicking. See? All better. Anybody else? Anything?"

Hey happy orthodox Christmas to everybody! I'd give out presents but instead I'll settle for posting to get this game moving again.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna idly considers what use advanced latin is for when a particular sound from behind the curtain makes her insides curl.

She's on her feet and halfway out the door so fast she almost causes a doppler effect. "Yes! Sure! That sounds like a great idea! Let's go do that!"

---

That is a late present, sir

I kinda wondered if the girl with sensitive ears would pick up the conversation, but then I remembered it's a disadvantage and thus probably lost in the cacophony of every other sound in the room.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Everyone - Classrooms

Following Mary's lead the girls wound their way around through the halls until they found themselves at the classrooms. Passing by one of the ubiquitous grandfather clocks, Mary motioned towards a long whiteboard grid covered with names, times, and academic subjects. Emily, ever cautious and wary for signs of potential danger noticed to her not-surprise that most of the other girls they passed in the halls clustered together into closely-knit groups and eyed the newcomers with some suspicion. Trust in each other like sisters? What a crock.

"So this is a bit late but these are the classrooms. Most of them are generically huge but there's specific ones for art, science, music, and private studios too if you go further down. Classes are posted on the board here and you just write yourself in on whichever ones you want to take. If there's something that's not on the board that you're interested in write it in an empty box and the Matrons or anybody else who might be able to help will fill in a lesson and their availability when they see it. Really popular lessons and timeslots get filled up pretty quick, so it really doesn't hurt to get here earlier in the day or reserve your seat in advance."

She uncapped one of the markers along the board and drew a smiley beneath the instances of her name along its length as she looked it over carefully.

"The Matrons take turns teaching classes, and taking care of the Class Schedule is one of the chores on the signup sheet if you're interested. Matron Strauss should be on duty today and she's hm... Teaching Probability and Statistics, Room 1-7. Looks like the class is almost over anyway so let's just slip in."

Taking the first door on the left she quietly slide into a seat near the back of the room, waiting for the others to settle in around her until the lecture was finished.

"Alright. Now that we have in our hands a sample space and the probability law, we can actually solve any problem there is. We can answer any question that could be posed to us. For example, what's the probability that the outcome, which is this pair, is either 1,1 or 1,2? We're talking about this particular event, 1,1 or 1,2 so it's an event consisting of these two items. According to what we were just discussing, the probability of a finite collection of outcomes is the sum of their individual probabilities. Each one of them has probability of 1/16, so the probability of this is 2/16."

quote:

P({X = 1}) =

"How do you answer this question? You go back to the picture and you try to visualize or identify this event of interest. x is equal to one corresponds to this event here. These are all the outcomes at which x is equal to one. There's four outcomes. Each one has probability 1/16, so the answer is 4/16. How about this one?"

quote:

P(X + Y is odd) =

Looks like everybody is ok with it and feels like sticking together so here we are. Solve the homework problem, initiate dialogue or not, I've got some potential plot hooks to throw your way if there isn't anything you want to try and a few other locations left on the guided tour that you might find useful for what will inevitably come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Oh god why did she think this was a good idea.

The silence in the classroom was certainly appreciated. The squeaking on the whiteboard was even quiet. Or maybe Jo just hadn't noticed as her brain paralyzed upon seeing the problem.

For a moment, she could almost feel steam coming out of her ears.

She is quite redfaced as she stares some more, looking clearly lost, and then just... desperately glances at the others around her, mouthing off a silent and somewhat desperate "What?"

• Locked thread
«2 »