Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
Emily Hartwell

Emily ducks her head slightly in embarrassment as she swallows another bite of chicken. It's delicious, but not quite as delicious as...

...nope. Not gonna think about that day.

"Um, sorry. I guess I have a pretty fast metabolism or something. Get kinda woozy if I don't eat enough, so maybe packing something up's a good idea..."

Half her bag is already full of food anyway, mostly granola bars and jerky, but more can't hurt. Emily's suspicious gaze darts around the room once more before settling on Cathy, but she tries to keep her tone light. No sense giving away her thoughts.

"Hey, I forgot to ask. Where'd our roommates end up going anyway? Does the school do these, like, small-scale field trip things a lot?"

poo poo, is she tipping her hand too much? Maybe, but worst case, she'll be alone with Cathy soon enough.

Jefepato posted:

Emily Hartwell

Monster Form +4 - Massively strong, with a dark leathery hide, sharp claws and a powerful jaw full of razor teeth -- not to mention even hungrier than Emily normally is and able to digest drat near anything.
Academia +2 - Emily is actually pretty smart, and has generally made decent grades in spite of, well, everything.
Scrapper +2 - Having been through a succession of mostly unpleasant households and equally unpleasant school districts, Emily learned to take care of herself early on.
Hungry -2 - Emily is pretty much always hungry, even when she eats vastly more than a girl her size normally should (which she does whenever possible).
Paranoid -2 - To be fair, Emily has a lot of experience with people who actually were out to get her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
(The dice gods have spoken in my favor. Enjoy that, Puppies.)

Emily Hartwell

Emily's expression darkened as she shoved the flailing girl aside and pulled Cathy away. And then, the explosion.

She could be one of them, Emily realized horribly. This could be a setup.

But...it wasn't quite right. Emily wasn't actually stupid, after all. She knew how to think.

It doesn't make sense. If Cathy is part of some conspiracy against me, she wouldn't have been holding my hand when a bomb went off. That would be stupid.

And there might not be a real conspiracy. Just a lot of basically normal people who happen to be assholes.

None of what I've seen really fits with her being against me. Not everyone in the world is evil, or else life's not worth living anyway.

Emily straightened, still holding onto Cathy's hand (though more relaxed now), and she made a choice.

"Cathy? Let's get you to the...nurse's office? Infirmary? Whatever. Get you there and then I'll figure out the rest of what I'm doing." She could just walk the other girl to the medical care she needed, and...then figure out if her bag survived.

Nothing in my bag was worth anything anyway.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

Emily Hartwell

"I'm Emily. Um...there was something about poison, and then a really big boom?" Emily almost immediately regretted opening her mouth, but then, it wasn't like she was volunteering anything secret. She flinched slightly at the impact on the privacy screen, and inched away to follow Cathy, eyes still tracking the other girls in the room briefly.

"Sorry about your arm," she murmured awkwardly, searching around for...ice packs or bandages or something. "It's, uh, not always like this around here, is it?"

She'd hardly believed Matron Melua's speech, but somehow, even Emily had still expected better.

• Locked thread