Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

It was, perhaps, only sheer goddamned stubborness, created from years (well, a couple of them) of believing she had to prove herself a tough lady. Maybe it was pride, with all these other people around, what would she look like if she freaked out in the middle of it all?

Whatever it was, what it had succeeded was in leaving Joanna a trembling mess as she tried to make her way out of the cacophony around her, nearly blinded by the pain. It was probably sheer luck that she stumbled upon the other two, really. Her vision was swimming by then, and only when Mary presses her hand against her forehead is when she truly realizes that those girls are, in fact, speaking directly to her.

At the offer to get out of there and someplace hopefully quieter, she nods numbly. The dark room and bed are a honest, honest relief. Her vision slowly returns as the sounds from the outside are muted, and she can finally pick up what Mary is saying clearly.

She still takes a couple of moments to compose herself, clearing her throat. "... J... Joanna." Her voice is raspy and quiet, as if somebody who doesn't really speak a whole lot. "Um... Jo's fine. S-sorry... I'm not very good with..." she gestures to the door beyond. "... Not lately."

quote:

+4 Destructive Scream - Joanna's screams can shatter crystal, render people deaf for a while, and possibly worse.
+2 Knack for Trouble - Getting into tight places, things she's not meant to find/see, and other kinds of mischief. She used to be even worse (better?) at this before life decided to crap on her.
+2 Streetsmart - Joanna may not have a formal education, but she has learned enough to know what's what.
-2 Hyperacusis - Sound sensitivity. The world is a noisy place and she rather hates it right now. Her own voice, which rarely rises above a whisper nowadays, sounds uncomfortably loud.
-2 Arachnophobia - gently caress spiders. Seriously. Preferred method of dealing with them is moving the other way as fast as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna takes the aspirin gratefully. It doesn't block the noise, but it does help lessen the ensuing headache.

At Andy' question, she looks around herself, and gives a small groan. "Think it's... back in the big room." Her voice does come out clearer now that she has had some water. After a moment's thought, she checks herself over, before pulling out an old baseball cap from her vest, and sighing in relief as she shakes it back into more-or-less shape. She had forgotten whether she had taken it with her or put it in her backpack after she was told she couldn't wear it while on the meeting.

"Should... go get it."

---

Contents of her backpack: A few spare clothes, old teddybear, photo of herself with her mom

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna takes the hand gratefully as she stands up. "Yeah. I... feel better. Let's go."

She takes a moment to focus on her other two companions and oh christ that girl is tall. Jo probably reaches to about her waist.

Kerzoro fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 21, 2014

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Of course somebody would take her bag. Of course.

... Well, maybe the situation wasn't as hopeless as she thought, if what Mary said was true. "... I... yeah, that's possible. Where is it?"

Her voice comes out somewhat stronger now that the headache is a thing of the past. "... Um... I didn't really thank you for before..."

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

To be frank, Joanna isn't really used to somebody she just met being so nice to her right out of the gate, and she has no real idea how to react to Mary beyond blushing and pushing her cap down over her eyes a bit. "Uh... th-thanks."

Once at the Lost and Found, Jo can only bite her lip as she fails to find her backpack and... sighs. "It's... uh... It's this really old backpack, it's a faded blue, it... uh..." she tries to think about any significant details about the backpack. "... The zippers tend to get stuck, and.... oh! It, uh... it has this cartoony grinning fox on one side, although most of it is kina torn and only the head is clear..."

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Jo can only look curiously at Mary as she cleans the clock. "You, uh... wound them all up? Izzat something we're supposed to do? There's a lot of 'em..." It is, of course, impossible to not notice all the clocks, especially with all their ticking and their tocking. Why couldn't they use some nice, digital, QUIET clocks?

She sighs and shakes her head. "I... I'll be fine... really. If it... gets to be too much I'll just bail or something." ... she quietly hopes that the dining hall is not quite as... echo-y? Is that a word? As echo-y as the meeting place.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Jo catches the stumble, but doesn't comment on it (no need to be rude).

"Huh... well, maybe..." She drifts off as she imagines chores someplace quiet. The tick-ticking of the clocks would drive her mad after a bit.

... which might happen soon anyway, as she braces herself for the no-doubt sound explosion that she can already hear welling up nearby. She has no idea where the cafeteria actually is, but this seems like a good guess.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna simply takes a deep breath, covering her eyes with a hand. "I... think I'll go after the line... thins out."

She's not going to let this beat her, goddammit. Still, she glances over to the table that was pointed out and hopes in vain that it's not overtly busy.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Oh sure, add clattering plates and screams around the girl with the sensitive hearing. That will REALLY help. Joanna can only cover her ears with a wince at the commotion!

Of course... with two girls having collapsed and in the middle of a seizure, complaining about THAT would be... well, jerkish.

She wants to go in and help Mary, but frankly the wall of people and sound are too much for her... and... itīs not like a slip of a girl like her can help carry them... right?

Still, she does get an idea, at least. "I..." She pauses to gather her thought. "I'll... go tell the Matrons!"

And then she's running out of the room, away from the noise, and once she's finally away from it all, and her running footsteps are the only thing echoing in the hallway... then she remembers she actually has no idea where the Infirmary is.

Biting back a curse, Joanna does the only other thing that comes to mind and runs towards the Lost and Found, where she was just now! There are matrons there after all, right?!

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna takes a moment or two to catch her breath. "T... Two..." A gasp of air. "Two girls... cafeteria, they... collapsed." She waves her arms around. "Maybe... poisoned?"

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna... just nods, the noise form inside the cafeteria is quite frankly getting uncomfortable. "I... I'll be out here, ma'am..."

A part of her feels guilty and hopes that Mary is OK.

Another part of her reminds her that oh hey she's still hungry.

The larger part of her just wants to sit back against the wall and wait it all out until things are QUIET.

So she does just that... keeping her eyes on the doors nonetheless.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Does this mean the cafeteria is now empty of people or they just can't find the sick?

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

You know how just before a really loud sound there is a moment of silence?

Joanna actually heard it before the dining room exploded. How Graviat's feet made no sound before she jumped.

And then there was darkness.

As she woke up, the only thing she could really hear was a sharp note, drowning everything else. The matron was saying something, but she couldn't really tell what it was.

She thought she had said something back, but couldn't even hear herself from the ringing.

The only thing that comes to mind is clutching her ears and curling onto herself, trying to drown it all OUT, and trying really hard to not scream herself.

---

Two damage... I think I could set Knack For Trouble and Street Smarts down to 0 then. That's how it works, right?

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna groans quietly as she finally gets up. The ringing is... still there, but not quite as SHARP. Her vision is not quite swimming so much either.

"M... matron...?"

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna's ringing ear's had gone down from a loud EEEEEE sound to a quiet hum in the background. Annoying, but better than usual.

She was... also understandably worried about the matron, even as she helped as best she could.

Seeing the others was a relief, even if she didn't quite get the escape of the noise one expects in an infirmary, but she was glad to see them ok.

"Ah... yeah, I, uh, went to get the matrons, when we came back it was empty but... boom." She motions towards Graviat. "I... she... pushed me down... she's hurt a lot worse than me."

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna didn't like the radio. To her ears, the levels popped too much.

It was still better than what was happening behind curtains, so she... tolerated it.

At Mary's request, she goes to sit besides her. "... Um... yeah. I had told them about the whole collapsing thing, and then they were searching... just... boom all of a sudden. The matron-- wait, I already said that..." ... then she blinks as she notices Mary's eyes. "... uh... what... what happened to you?"

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

What a first day. Seriously. Poison, explotions, and... who knows what the hell else?

She makes a face upon seeing the girl's wrist. "... Uuuh... the matron is... treating somebody behind the curtain. Um... Matron?

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

"God I hope not." Joanna idly rubs her head. "Was really hoping it was much more... quiet than this."

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna idly considers what use advanced latin is for when a particular sound from behind the curtain makes her insides curl.

She's on her feet and halfway out the door so fast she almost causes a doppler effect. "Yes! Sure! That sounds like a great idea! Let's go do that!"

---

That is a late present, sir :colbert:

I kinda wondered if the girl with sensitive ears would pick up the conversation, but then I remembered it's a disadvantage and thus probably lost in the cacophony of every other sound in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Oh god why did she think this was a good idea.

The silence in the classroom was certainly appreciated. The squeaking on the whiteboard was even quiet. Or maybe Jo just hadn't noticed as her brain paralyzed upon seeing the problem.

For a moment, she could almost feel steam coming out of her ears.

She is quite redfaced as she stares some more, looking clearly lost, and then just... desperately glances at the others around her, mouthing off a silent and somewhat desperate "What?"

• Locked thread