Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

gromdul posted:

Any advice? I have level one tanks currently. Warriors maybe? I don't have smoke yet.

I would Heavy + zooka it. Heavies can tank rockets and machine guns all day. Kill one rocket launcher up top with your boat, then put down your heavies and kill one of the bottom rockets. He's got almost nothing protecting those so you can walk the heavies in right next to it and kill the thing without taking much damage. Then get the zookas down and maneuver everything up, tanking the other rockets with heals and shocks.

Now, I don't know if your troop levels are high enough to do this; but it's definitely a good strat to take out those rocket bases, especially with a bad setup like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I'm 99% sure I read advice on SA to never attack the little NPC bases, cause doing so raises your Victory Points and matches you up with tougher opponents. Maybe it was in the CoC thread before this split off?

Anyway, I started doing that about a week ago and think I disagree with it. Invasions (new bases spawning) have slowed to a trickle, and as a result I'm rapidly running out of human targets. I've completely clearcut a whole quarter of my map:

There's 11 human bases on the rest of it, but half of those are either high level (and also have great loot, so I'm saving them until I can take them) or have particular resource layouts (like one guy with a massive amount of stone) that I save for when I need them.

Anyone else have a similar experience or idea about these mechanics?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Matchmaking is done purely off VPs so that is a potential downside.

I agree, that's unfortunate. I popped like 10 of them to test my own theory last night, however, and within a few hours had half a dozen 'Village lost' and a bunch more humans targets to choose from. I'm up to 19 human bases on my map at the moment, from the 11 I was down to.

So yea, I think going through a bunch of the NPC bases is going to be a necessary evil once in a while when you need the targets.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Very nice, the game has gotten pretty stale recently so this will be good to shake it up. I've been rarely playing, but you can still progress with occasional bursts. Yesterday I even built up enough to do my HQ (15->16) off a perfect sub haul (all 3 building components), a day's worth of my collectors being ready, and an easy Dr. Terror. I built up the 1.3m wood and 1m stone without needing to raid a single PC base.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Compared to zookas they're faster and have decent HP, so all your DPS doesn't die to one unlucky mortar shot/rocket barrage. The shots are really inaccurate though, hitting all over behind the target. Zookas are far better single target DPS, I can only see these guys being better for specific bases with everything clumped together so the splash helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

They keep adding stuff but somehow it keeps being boring. Impressive in a way

• Locked thread