Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
What are the downsides to beaching your HQ and purposefully dropping VP? As far as I can tell, as long as you're smart about when you collect resources you shouldn't have much of anything to be taken in a raid, and the only loss is the VP boat. The potential benefits are getting a lot of much easier PVP bases to attack. I haven't tested it but just theorycrafting it could be very beneficial as long as you're only raiding enough to do get your upgrades moving (i.e. never stashing a lot of resources). Higher level bases usually have better rewards sure but lower level ones are a lot easier to attack and do so without many losses. Just theorycrafting I would think a good cycle would be beach your HQ to let your VP drop. Meanwhile, log in whenever an upgrade is necessary, do a bunch of (comparatively easy) raiding to fund it, and repeat.

Summit fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

In the OP it says resources are not vulnerable until collected. Is this true? I can't find a straight answer on it. Seems most people agree the boats are safe but what about unclicked resource collectors?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

S.T.C.A. posted:

Thanks, updated the OP.

Assuming uncollected resources are vulnerable (which makes more sense from a gameplay perspective, so I'm inclined to believe it to be true) then you'll also need to change this bullet point in the OP:

S.T.C.A. posted:

You can determine exactly how much of your resources are at-risk by clicking on the resource counter in the top-right. This is also where you find out your resource-production-per-hour overall, and from what sources.

Part of the reason there's confusion about this is that the dropdown only counts what's been collected. Potentially more is vulnerable than what that dropdown would lead you to believe.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

khy posted:

Any recommended sites to get base design help

I went from HQ12 to HQ13 and suddenly my HQ is being destroyed 2-3 times a day whereas before it was once every 2-3 days

The real answer is to stop caring about base defense. Make offensive upgrades a priority so you can raid more effectively. Save raids for when you need the resources so your stores are always too low for anyone to bother with. The best defense is having nothing to steal.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

gromdul posted:

I build my new defenses and level them up during periods of relative inactivity. They're so inexpensive relative to my big upgrades I can do them quite easily from just collectors or clearing out NPC bases. While you can also totally ignore defenses, if you are doing a hybrid offense/defense, that third Boom Cannon and Shock Launcher are pretty drat sweet.

Yeah, I do the same. Offense is the priority but defense gets some love now and then. It's nice to collect some diamonds from being raided. But I don't care too much how often I'm attacked as long as I don't lose resources.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

As much as I dislike hooka in everyday raiding I find it hard to stop upgrading because of ops. I'm in a 10 man task force that likes to do the hardest op (within reason) possible and tanks just get melted before they can do much of anything. Only heavies can absorb the damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I haven't lost a single hammerman defense using that layout.

• Locked thread