Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Beater 540s are not only the best 540s, they're also the best beaters. I've got 19s on mine, and there's barely any rubber there, i can't imagine 20s. What size are the tires?

It's a pain in the rear end to find E39 wheels, too. pretty much every other BMW is high offset, and 72.5mm hub bore, the e39 is medium offset 74.1mm hub bore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Beater buddies :hfive:

When you're checking the brakes, if the pads are down to 20%, change them. Once your "Check brake linings" warning goes off, you have to replace the break wear sensor, which is $15-25 an axle.

I was lucky with mine, it was built 9/98, so i could just throw a volkswagen MAF at it and it was cool. the non dbw cars you're not so lucky. They probably painted the interior plastics because the laquer on the factor wood likes to crack like a motherfucker. before you paint, you might be able to sand to the origional laquer, and polish from there to get back to OEM. Otherwise, i'd probably just throw an ebay carbon fiber kit at it(but i'm a ricer). If you're replacing the headliner, the one out of the M5 is black if you can find one, makes it feel more cocoony, but is also much much nicer.

It looks like you have M-sport bumpers, and blacked out window trim which would be m-sport stuff, but the standard steering wheel and comfort seats which wouldn't be.

Plug your digits into this thingy and see what comes up. http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I meant all the options stuff below that. Does it have any m-sport package of any sort?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

On second thought, it wouldnt hurt to look at your wheels and tires. If you feel like it, send me pics at paint.vagrant at gmail.com

You can get spacers that give you the backspacing, and convert the hub bore to the right size for E60 wheels, but they aren't cheap. E34 wheels are medium offset with a smaller hub bore, so you could get the center bored out, or if they're aftermarket wheels, they might be larger bore with hub rings, in which case you can just get 74.1 hub rings, but generally speaking, stock E34 wheels won't bolt strait onto a E39, and E60 wheels will need spacers.

8ender posted:

Another thing for your list is that those 20" wheels are almost certainly beating the poo poo out of your thrust arms. If you plan on running 17" or greater wheels on an E34 I suggest you avoid the shimmy of doom now and get some arms with the 740i bushings pressed into them.

The shimmy will destroy the rest of the suspension rather quickly so if you have the shakes now at higher speeds then get new arms on there right away.

I'm sure you meant E39, and rather than 740 bushings, if you're worried about it go with the powerflex bushings. They'll last a little longer, and you don't have to fill the car with 500 pounds of junk to torque them down. The ball joint is part of the arm, so if it hasn't been replaced recently, you do have to replace the whole arm. But you mentioned some of the suspension stuff seemed fresh, so if you don't have the 50mph shimmy or clunk over bumps, that was probably adressed, although likely with cheap parts so be ready to do it again in 15,000 miles.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah I've got stands. This car is a bit of a bitch to get up on hands so I've been using ramps for the short term. Once it runs again I will be able to diag the suspension stuff a bit more. Pretty happy with the condition of stuff I found under there after I cleaned off all the oil.

Auto-rustproofing does tent to keep stuff looking good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

any cluster you find is either going to have bad pixels, or is about to. If you really care about it, there is a ribbon cable fix that involves dissasembling a cluster never designed to be dissasembled. I can read my whole mileage, and most of my trip, but the trip shows up in the radio computer thing anyways, and where i keep my wheel i can't see the message center anyways, so idgaf.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You work at least 200 times faster than i do, holy poo poo.

You should slap some paint on those valve covers while they're off. VHT makes metallic engine paints now.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

boooooourns.

Is it at least metallic?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Metallic gold valve covers and timing cover probably wouldn't have leaked :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

You get your aux fan issues sorted?

No, i can't find my big hammer. I think i left it in my super duty.

my ext temp sensor is gone, and some folks say the car uses that for climate control stuff, so i might short the plug and see if i can make the car think it's +40*c outside instead of -40*c

i work at a really slow pace.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Ive heard that about the ambient temperature sensor too.

You'd better hurry up man! I am a hoseclamp and a couple of minor oil leaks away from being roadworthy! So, after a few weeks of sitting with the battery disconnected, my pixels came back?!

once the cluster warms up you'll probably lose the pixels agian.

My car is roadworthy, there's just a lot of janky stuff that i don't care enough to put money into right now.

So i just drive around without a/c, and don't use the drivers side window. if i need to adjust the blower fan, i just stick the tire depth gauge into the hole where the missing button would have pressed.

There's a bunch of little luxury poo poo that i should fix, but luxury stuff is pretty far down on the project list.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Air in the brake system will give you that brake fluid warning. might be worth a bleed.

Love the sound of that engine though. I'm contemplating pulling the muffler off. It's got a resonator further up in the exhaust, so the muffler is really useless.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Shoulda bought a poormobile instead. Everything works on mine :v:

I doubt a $1000 poormobile would be in any better nick.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jesus christ you're ambitious.

fuel filter has been on my to-do list for a year now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The lines will probably be brittle. even my windshield washer fluid lines were like chalk, just crumbled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mine will pour some coolant on the curb for a fallen brother.

• Locked thread