Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Snow was just stupid throughout though.
loving Guy is more of a hero and a better character than Snow!

I really like the GBA version of this game. While it has some ridiculous flaws still, there is just something so satisfying about getting microrewards after pretty much every battle. Scratches my itch just right.
I appreciate you trying to somehow make this game difficult, good luck in achieving that - I honestly think it's impossible. Because so much of this game's difficulty is binary, you either lose horribly against every random encounter or are completely untouchable. It has the weirdest difficulty "curve" of any game I played - more like difficulty steps. Have 4 Magic Resist? Death on the entire party, everyone dies! Have 5 Magic Resist? Completely immune to death. It's baffling, really. I'm probably exaggerating a little, too, but Evasion level definitely work like this, where if you don't have enough, you die, and Esuna (or however it's called here) too with its completely incomprehensible progression from "cures in-battle poison only" to "can finally de-blind you at like level 16" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

This part of the game is so dumb. They clearly were proud of their keyword system, used it moderately sensibly at the start (HAVE A PASSWORD, LET US IN), then realized that this is all it can ever do and...resorted to stupid bullshit to somehow squeeze more use out of it.
It is now HAVE PASSWORD, GIVE ME PASSWORD and the people you get them from are arbitrary and it doesn't add anything. It could be used with at least some design idea behind it, and maybe they try that: by forcing you to talk to NPCs you might otherwise skip or ignore after the first conversation, you can get some more snippets of forced worldbuilding and characterization in. Like with the King. However, the game's writing is neither voluminous nor competent enough to achieve any of that, so it's really just tedious padding while you traipse around in the same small corner of the world over and over again. Maybe you overgrind during that and end up shattering the difficulty of the next three dungeons, so that's also a...plus?!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

dotchan posted:

On the other hand, huge, game-sprawling Chain of Deals are hardly endemic in Final Fantasy games alone (or even JRPG games).
My problem is that it's almost entirely contained in this section (Keyword use drops off severely after this if I remember correctly), which tanks the already rather wonky pacing the game has, and it's literally just talking to a few random dudes in a row which are somewhere. If it were a sidequest, I think I would be more okay with it, but it's mandatory and you are guaranteed to miss a step when not playing with a guide, causing you to walk aimlessly around the boring-rear end world map until you discover the one person to use the correct Keyword on.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kemix posted:

This game must love you for some reason. Agility is usually a pain to level up and even then, you maybe see a handful of Agility ups over the course of an entire game spread through your party. This game MUST want you to win this time.
Time to revive Firion, off Maria and start the REAL challenge :getin:!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I'm trying to remember if I like this cave or hate it. I always did it asap, and I think it's here where the difficulty feels right for once. You're slightly early, but nothing has bullshit instant death or all-target Confuse or whatever spells, so you can have a decently hard time against randoms and still get nice rewards. Of course, this being FF2, the dungeon itself is pretty poo poo (I think) and becomes easier as you get more and more stats from the harder monsters. You win some, you lose some.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I'm pretty sure Chimearas can spawn from 1-4, another point proving that the devs had no idea of how difficulty works. I also think you got really lucky with the Big Horn, because that is another 1-4 boss if I remember correctly.

Seriously, that is just nuts. It's like Dark Souls randomly decides that the bossfight is against The One King now.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

"Mensch" is the gender neutral "human". It is well possible for a woman to be ein Übermensch :v:.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I'm (thirding now, I think) the only magic suggestion. If you restrict yourself to one weapon type, you will inevitably start killing enemies with that at some point unless you go some silly bow-only route. And "then I hit him with my spear/dagger/rod a bunch of times" is just boring. Magic offers up something that might actually be an interesting challenge, as the direct attack spells are usually pretty weak in comparision to physicals, and you have a lot of enemies just plain resisting magic, so you have to get creative.

Or Frog everything. That works, too. Up to you to narrow it down to "no instant kill nonsense", of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Edward_Tohr posted:

Unless you sneak into Mysidia early and pick up Holy.

EDIT: unless they made that less feasible in the GBA port?
It's perfectly possible if I remember correctly.

If all else fails, you could allow yourself Bows *shrug*. Or do you have a fourth party member against the flame? They can do whatever I'd say, their damage is gonna suck anyway.

• Locked thread