Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Lothire posted:

Quilian Nailos [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 28/28 4(4HD) | AC: 16 | Arrows: 40 | Spells: 1st 3(3)

He nods as he collects his belongings. "You may not have chosen the adventure life willingly, but we are comrades here regardless. If words help you be ready for whatever comes next, I'm happy to share them. In the end, I hope you find what you seek."

A dissatisfied departure.

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia turns heel just before she is about to leave, and hugs Quilian, her head against his chest for a moment.. then scurries off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Speaking Stones

Sereia heads to the Speaking Stones to meditate. Quilian too heads to the Speaking Stones though to speak with Pingtu about where the group can find a sapphire. Pingtu thinks on the matter for a moment before finally recalling where some might be found.

"I believe that sapphires were occasionally found in the Wormwrithings, of course with them closed you cannot find one there now. I remember that once there was a necklace adorned with a sapphire displayed beneath the Ruby in the Rough. If it survived the raid it would be magically sealed inside a stone cyst sealed by magic. I can provide an elixir to crack the cyst, but to find the cyst you must travel into the old tunnels underneath the Ruby in the Rough."

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

HP: 28/28 4(4HD) | AC: 16 | Arrows: 40 | Spells: 1st 3(3)

More underground tunnels in what is, essentially, one impossibly large underground tunnel. But with the wormwrithings closed, it was their only lead on their final gemstone.

"We will make our to these tunnels then." Quilian accepts the elixir and any directions the gnome will depart with.

Standard scout deal, can keep me a few squares with the party no matter the stealth/perception.

http://orokos.com/roll/241329 - 24 stealth
http://orokos.com/roll/241331 - 8 perception.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Beneath the Ruby in the Rough

The group makes their way to the Ruby in the Rough, and then begin to travel the tunnels underneath. Quilian is like the shadows themselves as he moves ahead of the group, but so focused on keeping himself hidden he does a poor job of keeping a lookout. And so after a few hours he stumbles upon some rather large, and now irate, rats. Literally stumbling upon them in this case as both were unaware of the other until the collision.

Quilian gets to his feet, and so too does the rat, and things look rather tense.

Initiative
22 Zarnov the Magnificent
22 Giant Rats
17 Sereia
13 Shamis
09 Quilian

So yeah this calls for some cave rats and dire rats. Neither seem to exist anymore. Only Giant Rats.

Map

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Zarnov
HP 26/26, AC15 (mage armor), Spell Slots 3/2, Arcane Recovery

"Oh, rats!"

Wiggling his fingers, Zarnov shoots a sticky, gooey substance towards the vermin. It expands to cover them all in sticky white strands.

Oops, forgot about this game. I'm going to cast a Web on the back wall, which should be big enough to target all the rats and avoid all friendlies. DC14 Dex save or they are Restrained.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 4, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Zarnov unleashes a mighty spell, covering much of the cavern in webbing and holding most of the large rats in place. Two of the rats seem to have avoided the webbing and made their way to Quilian, whom they then proceed to nibble upon. Two more rats slowly tear themselves from the webbing and manage to waddle over to Quilian as well. The final two squirm and squeal but make no headway whatsoever.

Okay so 2 natural 20s followed by 4 failures on the save. Then the two free rats move up and bite Quilian for 3 and 4 damage respectively. The next two rats nearly roll natural 20s on their strength checks and free themselves, then move to surround Quilian. The final two rats roll poorly and remain restrained.

Initiative
22 Zarnov the Magnificent
22 Giant Rats
17 Sereia :rolldice:
13 Shamis :rolldice:
09 Quilian :rolldice:

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

HP: 21/28 4(4HD) | AC: 16 | Arrows: 40 | Spells: 1st 3(3)

Quilian ducks as the webbing engulfs the rats. Thinking his misfortune had turned around thanks to Zarnov's swiftness, he doesn't expect two of the rats to nimbly evade the webbing and slash and claw at him. His armor holds back their chomping teeth from sinking deep, but not enough to stop them from drawing blood.

While one rat is kicked away, the other clamps down hard on his left arm, preventing him from drawing sword. A full body spin slams the rat the ground still latched to his arm, clearing the surrounding vermin momentarily and stunning his attacker. Normally a feat once impossible to him, Quilian draws in his offhand the blackened Longsword from his back. It's long blade and weighted construction are no longer factors thanks to the martial experience he's acquired in this place. A forceful thrust impales the creature, finally releasing its grip. Quilian soon stands ready against the remaining threats.

Map rolls: main hand whiffs (8), offhand hits (18), 10 damage/I think killing one of the two rats that hit me.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Indeed it does kill one of the rats.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I was considering re-spec'ing as a Drow Paladin[4] but instead I'll just add a level of Cleric :effort:

Domain Spells:
Level 1:
Bless
Cure Wounds
Level 2:
Lesser Restoration
Spiritual Weapon

Prepared Spells [6]:
Level 1:
Command
Guiding Bolt
Healing Word
Shield of Faith
Level 2:
Prayer of Healing
Hold Person

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 32/32 | HD: 3/3d8+1/1d10 | AC:16/18 | Arrows: 19 18 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]4/4 [Lv.2]2/2

Something about Sereia had changed; maybe she didn't know it and maybe no one else noticed it yet either.

For now, she had kept her shield stowed after taking it off in Blingdenstone.
Faced with the group of attacking rats, she went for her bow instead of the sword.

Longbow at Rat4: 1d20+5 = 21, 1d8+3 = 4
:flaccid:

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Shamis Aeryn

Splat the rat. Shamis shoots one or two flanking killer.

xbow; damagex2: 1d20+7 23 1d6+3 6 1d20+7 27 1d6+3 5
crit damage: 1d6 2

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Zarnov
HP 26/26, AC15 (mage armor), Spell Slots 3/1, Arcane Recovery

Zarnov's eyes light up with glee as he launches a series of fire rays from his fingertips, frying the poo poo out of some rats.

Scorching Ray on the 3 remaining rats. 2 are restrained, advantage on the shot.
scorching ray vs webbed rats, normal rat: 2#2d20k1+6 16 26 1d20+6 13 3#2d6 10 9 8
crit: 2d6 5.
Hit AC 16 for 10 damage, crit for 14 damage, hit AC 13 of the unwebbed one for 8 damage.
Webbed ones take another 2d4 fire damage when they start their turn as the webs combust.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Where's mah Ryuuj?!

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
I know Ryuujin is struggling with his new place and all, but wanted to give a heads up that I'm still snoopin' around. Work has been pretty demanding though, even Ritorix's game is slowing down, so guessing it's not just me.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Zarnov unleashes a firestorm of burning rays that incinerate the three rats that the others didn't already decapitate or perforate. The bodies burn, and the web catches fire. Not that anything lives within the web to slowly burn to death.

The battle is over, and as the group catches their breath they continue on their way. It is not much longer when they find the underground room containing the cyst. Pouring the elixir upon the stone cyst causes it to crack open revealing the exquisite silver necklace with the sapphire setting.

And you now have all the gems! Unless I am mistaken. If you wish to continue this quest you would want to return to Pingtu to head to the next part of the quest. The only other quest remaining is dealing with the orcs.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Woo!

Streams of fire lick past his elven figure with intense heat. Any closer and he was sure to suffer from burns, but Zarnov's mastery and gleeful expression makes such precision appear effortless. He wondered for a brief moment - if such flames were wielded by an enemy, would he fair any better than these rats? A frightening possibility in this line of work, a question he hopes remains unanswered for a very long time.

Moments later the smell of burning fur overwhelms his senses. He is all too glad to have moved on to finding the cyst, upon which, discovering the elixir is successful. The sapphire necklace dangles from his hand. "A strange place for such a valuable thing. None the less, it is the last gem we need. Pingtu is no doubt waiting for us."

And back to the gnome we go. Will deal with the Orcs when this is wrapped up.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 32/32 | HD: 3/3d8+1/1d10 | AC:16/18 | Arrows: 18 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]4/4 [Lv.2]2/2

Sereia sighs her relief and shoots Quilian a smile.

"I'm sure he'll be most excited to see us again, with the stones. Then, perhaps, we can visit Jalless and Jengal, en route to seeking out the orcs."

Does Quilian want a heal? Or we gonna short rest/Hit Die this one?

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

I forgot I was hurt! I'll use an HD and have it apply (take a few minutes to rest) when we get back to the city.

1 HD roll: 1#1d10 4

HP: 25/28 when we reach city and rest (while handing in quest).

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Chapter 4 Wake the Stones - Speaking Stones

The group makes their way back to Blingdenstone, and the Speaking Stones, though once they make it back to the gnome city they do stop to recover a bit before pushing onward.

Pingtu is waiting for them when they return. He takes the gems you have acquired into safe keeping, preparing them for the ritual, and reminds you of the seven drow weapons that had been found around his master's corpse. And how they are currently stored at The Golden Hills Hearth with their other supplies that Fendrick Pestle watches over. He lets them know that they will need to go see Pestle about the weapons and return them to him for the ritual.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

HP: 25/28 3(4HD) | AC: 16 | Arrows: 40 | Spells: 1st 3(3)

Minor injuries are repaired in moments. Well, most of them. A few scratches from some feisty rodents isn't about to stop this elf. He greets Pingtu warmly and offers the gems.

Drow weapons for a ritual? Hm.. A part of Quilian thinks there could be a bit of shady business here.. But this place is still odd in its ways. The gnomes have all been fair folk as well. Suspicion now seems ill-placed.

"Then weapons you will have." A short bow sees the party towards The Golen Hills Hearth, where they will ask Pestle for the seven Drow weapons in order to complete Pingtu's ritual.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Chapter 4 Wake the Stones - Golden Hills Hearth

The group then makes their way back to The Golden Hills Hearth. Once they let Pestle about the weapons, letting him know about Pingtu's need, he is more than happy to get the weapons for them.

He goes to the locked supply area to help the adventurers search. He is surprised to find the guard missing, the door unlocked, and a dragonshield kobold and six kobolds inside, packing supplies into sacks to carry them away. Fendrick runs to call the other sentries from the barricades, leaving the party to deal with the kobolds until the guards can reach them to help.

Fendrik helps the characters look for the weapons. Working together, the group finds the right crate after a few minutes of moving boxes and barrels.

Inside the crate are three rapiers, two daggers, a hand crossbow and a short sword. Also you find another one of those pages you have been finding.

If you don't already have a hammer Fendrick gives you one to use for the ritual. After getting the weapons, hammer, and presumably reading the page, the group makes their way back to Pingtu.

Once the group have gathered the required components, Pingtu assembles them for the ritual that should awaken the stones.

He says, "Performing this ritual is an honor I bestow upon you for all your hard work. You must place the gems, in order - red ruby, orange fire opal, yellow citrine, green emerald, blue aquamarine, indigo sapphire, and violet amethyst - at the foot of each stone, walking widdershins from the southernmost stone. Then, place the weapons as the vellum you have indicates and break them in whatever way you can. While you do all this, I'll offer the prayers my old teacher wants to hear."

A crowd of svirfneblin starts to gather, including gnomes the adventurers know.

Hmm yeah sure lets say this doesn't happen because of your earlier routing of kobolds and closing of the way they were getting in. Doesn't really mention what happens if you do that quest first, but that makes sense.

code:
[FRONT]
Ring of standing stones
Drow here - torture?

rapier
crossbow			dagger
gap							rapier
	dagger			short sword
			rapier
code:
[BACK]
When the tempest is born,
  as storm-tossed waters rise uncaring,
  the promised hope still shines.
And the reaver takes hold
  of drawn-born chosen's fate,
  pursuing the light across the sea.
Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

It is a strange honor to be granted, but Quilian knows the value of such things. His hood and mask are removed to show proper respect for the occation, accepting the gems and bundling the weapons.

As a group, the party moves as instructed, placing gems and their corresponding weapons at their proper stones in a anti-clockwise fashion. He looks to Pingtu for approval before they begin the breaking process.

With a nod of the gnome's head, Quilian breaks the first weapon. The Drow rapier is thin and durable for its design, but a strong armed strike of his longsword breaks it apart effortlessly. The group continues to break the weapons in accordance to vellum and Pingtu's guidance, ensuring the ritual is performed precisely.

With the last one broken and their role accomplished, the elf waits in anticipation. What is to come next, he wonders? What will his Elven eyes see?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 32/32 | HD: 3/3d8+1/1d10 | AC:16/18 | Arrows: 18 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]4/4 [Lv.2]2/2

Sereia can't help glancing over at Quilian (and her other comrades) as the ritual gets into motion.
Her thoughts wander; is this the end of their journey? Where will they all go from here?

She dared to hope, that this would be the end of a lengthy dark spell in her life.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The group begin to place the stones widdershins, apparently knowing what it meant and didn't need to ask Pingtu what he meant. While they do so Pingtu says his prayers to segojan Earthcaller, Callarduran Smoothhands, Garl Glittergold, Baervan Wildwanderer, Flandal Steelskin, Gaerdal Ironhand and Baravar Cloakshadow.

As the last stone is placed before the final menhir a shudder ripples through the cavern floor, prompting an exclamation of delight from Pingtu in the middle of his prayers.

Following the directions written on the message they found they place the weapons . Quilian's first blow does not quite shatter the rapier. His second however does smash it. Continuing around he continues to smash weapons. Most smash with a single blow, though two more of the weapons give him a little trouble and required a second blow. However all the weapons were properly placed and thus were successfully destroyed.

Once all seven weapons are broken, another shudder shakes the earth, and the air vibrates for a moment. Pingtu squeaks with delight again.

Pingtu finishes his prayers soon after you complete your tasks. The entire cavern and all its contents, including your insides, vibrate. Then the vibrations settle into a soft hum.

Pingtu does a little hopping jig. Tears on his cheek, he says, "Oh forgive my fool cowardice, my old teacher. Thank you seven lords, thank you my brave friends. The Speaking Stones are active once more!"

Pingtu then attempts another ritual to peer into the future of Blingdenstone.

Pingtu says, "Now, let us ask the stones about our future, eh?" He chants a ritual prayer, and the stones issue a low hum that grows louder as he continues. Higher overtones become audible, shifting subtly in a melodic way.

The svirfneblin priest is ecstatic. He lifts his hands and his head. A peaceful smile on his face, he basks in the vibrations around his body.

He finishes chanting and closes his eyes, listening to the stones as they slowly quiet. His face grows serious, and he levels his gaze on you.

"The Speaking Stones have spoken," he says. "They tell of the fate of Blingdenstone, the fate of our people. They say our fate is intertwined with yours. They whisper of a time of great travail, during which the world's fate might rest in the hands of people such as you. Be brave. The world needs you."

The gathered gnomes all turn their eyes to you, hope and expectation bright in their eyes.

You are allowed to keep some of the gems used in the ritual, excluding Kargien's emerald and Gurmadden's ring.

Chapter 4 finished! 5/6 Chapters complete. And hey have another levelup.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Yay levels! Workin' on that soon.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 17, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

The apprehension is apparent on Sereia's face, with the talk of travails and the fate of Blingdenstone potentially resting on them -- on her.
The look belies that her heart has sunk to the pit of her stomach, and her hands go pale with cold.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

HP: 34/34 5(5HD) | AC: 16 | Arrows: 40 | Spells: 1st 4(4), 2nd 2(2)

The vibrations never concerned Quilian. Rather, they would have, had the gnomes not been so joyous about them. He lets the current ride through, but it does not end the way he expects. The vibrations dull, but continues to hum in his senses. It is not of the ritual, but of a connection. There is a bond that lie between a Ranger and the wilderness. Even here, where cold stone holds sway, he feels his bond has grown stronger. The flow of life feels all the more closer to him now. The stone walls hold out of view a world which eagerly welcomes him, he need only embrace it.

The rush of this is partially overwhelming, but Quilian holds fast and processes the new bond. It is then that he hears the words of the gnome, uncertain as what to make of the proclamation. The elf muses on the words for some time before offering his own.

"I am but a lone Ranger. I craft my life with these hands and take lives away with these blades. Silvanus knows I try to be just, Corellon guiding my good deeds. The more I fight, the more I get to see of such wondrous things. Things such as this, your beautiful home..

..But of fate.. I know nothing of fate. I am but a lone Ranger, forever seeking the next horizon. Whatever is to come, I will not shy away."

Sereia is clearly less comfortable to hear such words. Quilian sheaths his swords and joins her.

"The next challenge is but a stones throw away, to do away the orc menace that plagues this city. I do not know of fate and what is to come. I know only of the strength I posses and the faith of my companions. What do you say to giving these people the safety they deserve?.. After a well deserved rest, of course."

Long Rest to get back up to snuff, apply level ups and all that. Then.. ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS!"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Lothire posted:

Quilian sheaths his swords and joins [Sereia].

"[...] I know only of the strength I posses and the faith of my companions. What do you say to giving these people the safety they deserve?.. After a well deserved rest, of course."

Gonna have to change Quilian's nickname to Ladykiller :iamafag:

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

In regards to making our way back to the Orc camp, I'd like to specify how we go about it. Normally I'd do my stealth thing in scouting position, but since we know a bit about what to expect, I'm looking to change it up.

I'd like to return to the place where we first fought the big Orc group. There was a bit of a choke point there with a few sentries posted (which lead to that whole Quilian tank scenario). I want to get the group close enough to see it but without requiring a stealth check to do so. We might not get to see very well due to the distance we need to maintain for this to happen, or utilize a corner or something that makes it hard to get the whole picture, but any of that is OK. I'm mostly looking to see if the have replaced the Orc sentries. If they aren't there, it may be that they have fallen back.

If there are sentries there though, I want to utilize that "choke point" they guard. My new level got me the Spike Growth spell, which lets me convert a 20ft area into difficult terrain that also deals 2d4 damage every 5ft while moving through it. The neat trick with this spell is that it is camouflaged until someone sees it with a perception check, or if they see me cast the spell. If the sentries call in more Orcs, their passive perceptions will have to beat the spell DC just to see it. Even if they do, they still need to get through it to get to us. Assuming the choke point is small enough - again, even if that is the case, they still won't know how much of the ground is effected without beating the check (or letting their comrades fall into effected squares).

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Chapter 5 Stop the Raiders - Northern Caves

The group makes their way through the caves back to where they had faced the orc sentries before. But there don't seem to be any orc sentries there again. It seems in all the time since the orcs have gone down from high alert, or have moved on. The deep gnomes still seem like they have been bothered by the orcs, though there was a day or so when no attacks came. But you did not see any orcs on your way here.

You are in area 17 the Hlouse Center, the S just above is where the sentries were last time.

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

The blood from their last encounter is still visible, but far from fresh. How long has it been since that run in? Couldn't have been that long, but feels like weeks. Yet, no sentries this time. There must be other signs around to clue him in on any recent activity - foot prints fresher than the old blood, spilled food or drinks.. Anything that might tell him if there had been more Orcs around since their last run in, perhaps a visiting group that moved off further north after abandoning this sentry point.

Maprolls - how I missed those. Advantage for favored enemy Orcs: 21.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Heavy footprints, traces of darker-shaded blood, small pebbles crushed or knock aside from underfoot.. Quilian's hunted Orcs longer than he's known how to swing a sword. Alone these clues mean little. Together, retells a scene he's accustomed to for the race.

"Sometime after our scuffle, another group came to check on the sentries. Abundance of depressions here between the guard points, like pacing for some time. Something disagreeable took place, a minor fight that came to blows - nothing unusual for Orcs, probably discussions on what to do next.."

A few steps north has the elf pointing out another series of depressions and disturbed debris. ".. Another trail, leading north. Seems they abandoned the spot, given no new sentries.."

He counts under his breath and on his fingers. ".. A move like this would suggest they seek to consolidate their forces. We bested a number of them in previous encounters, so it is fair to assume the number we have killed is significant. They would not give ground like this so readily otherwise."

"In other words, we have them on the defensive. How to approach from here will be delicate, a cornered Orc fights with the madness of their twisted god. It is best to locate their primary gathering point and asses the numbers. From there, we can come up with a plan of assault." Quilian eagerly leads the way.

Much like when we got to here, I'd like to get as close as we can without requiring stealth rolls. The group should be on alert and moving more quietly. May require stealthing to get closer in order to assess numbers and fighting condition, but we'll handle that after we find 'em.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The group pushes in a little further, stopping when they hear a little scuffling, laughing, and the occasional word in orcish.

You are in area F, sounds of some kind of conflict or activity are coming from 10.

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

A still hand gesture encourages the group to remain silent and to keep a low profile as Quilian moves them closer to the sound.

Checkin' out the sounds from 10. Quilian understands Orcish if we can get close enough to hear.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Quilian has the others wait quietly while he sneaks forward a little more. He ghosts forward, nearly impossible to detect by even those who just watched him step into the shadows. The three orcs rumbling and tumbling around, drinking, laughing and wrestling, have absolutely no chance of noticing his approach.

Quilian sees three orcs wrestling playfully and drinking. He can make out that it isn't a serious scuffle but rather just something they are doing to relieve boredom. He gets close enough to watch them, and he sees no other orcs in the immediate area, but he can't see far enough to see the far walls or where some of the paths lead to.

Rolled Stealth for Quilian, got a 25. There is no chance they could detect him with a +0 modifier, even if they didn't have disadvantage.

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

A moderate-sized stalagmite gives Quilian a place to crouch and stay hidden as he watches the three Orcs. The area is much too wide and barren to move further onward, and without the ability to see beyond this distance, attacking the three now might raise an alarm or even simple suspicion. Hmm, what to do..

Drawing them out of this area is a good place to start. His group is not far behind him, engaging back there should keep the fight from ringing beyond this section of the caves. The others are sure to be annoyed being dragged into a fight without warning, but the elf is out of view and unable to communicate. They'll forgive him.. If things go well.

It'd be best if he didn't get them riled up by exposing himself just yet. With his hands to his mouth, he adopts a low, brutish voice and speaks in crude Orcish. "Oi, ya lugs! Give us a hand with this beast, and maybe we'll let ya' eat some fresh meat! Get a move on!" Even if they don't buy his imitation, they'll at least come to investigate all the same. Should the Orcs take the bait, Quilian will stay ahead of the three and continue to draw them back to the group - once the group comes into sight, he'll find a place to stay hidden until the Orcs near him.

Look like a Charisma check to fool things in various ways and I don't see Favored Enemy being applicable for a bonus. Still, knowing and speaking Orcish rather than common might give him an edge. Map roll: 15.

The idea is to draw them all the way to the group without being seen (staying ahead and shouting back to them along the way), so that when the group comes into view for me, I can turn around and wait in ambush somewhere dark or behind a waist-high wall of some kind. Then when the Orcs turn a corner and find the group, he'll get a chance at a surprise attack. Or something to that effect.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The orcs stop their wrestling play, and get up, then begin to make their way toward Quilian's voice.

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

The way back has plenty of shadows and low-profile hiding places, but only one real point to break line of sight - a column of cave wall that helps to separate the area. That is also the area where he last left his group. When he spies the Orcs rising to their feet, he moves quickly and reaches the turn without looking back. Doing it in this way prevents the Orcs from having any chance at physically seeing him, but he is also uncertain if the Orcs actually followed.

He is relieved to see them soon come into view, traveling down the same path he had just made his mad dash on. They're oddly slow for creatures about to partake in a free buffet of meat, but that will only work to his advantage. Further south of him is his group, and he motions them to come closer to the cave wall he currently hugs. He does not wish to risk giving himself away by speech, so he hopes by taking his blades into his hands that the group realizes battle is about to begin.

At any moment, the three Orcs will emerge into the area. Quilian, hugging the corner wall, will have his shot at ambush to start off the fight. The growing tension causes his hands to grip hard on the elf's swords.

On the map, to the left of the letter F, is a square-shaped chunk of cave wall. I'm expecting my lure to bring them out of 10 and into F. Having ran ahead and set myself on the eastern side of the cave wall, Quilian will strike as soon as the Orcs become visible while entering F. The group should be somewhere south of me, or even with me on the corner there should they too be aiming for a surprise round/get close to engage. They would probably have like a round to move and set up as soon as they saw me hug the wall and gesture to them before the Orcs show up, depending on how eager the Orcs are to get in on that meat.

Stealth roll for his ambush, maproll: 20

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The orcs continue to follow Quilian's guidance as he pulls ahead and gestures to the others to ready themselves, and so when the orcs turn the corner and finally get the chance to see Quilian and the others they are rather surprised.

Okay you guys get a surprise round against the 3 orcs. Then initiative will follow, assuming you don't kill the 3 orcs before the surprise round is over.

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

The look of surprise on their foes face is exactly the payoff Quilian was after. Almost as soon as one turns the corner, Quilian greets it with a slash of his Longsword. Dropping to a knee in disbelief, it fails to muster any defense when Quilian lines up his blade to it's throat. He grins as he spits Orcish words, "Too slow, ya' git." Dragging the edge alone its neck sprays a gore of blood into the air. The elf is quickly reminded of why he picked up a mask and hood so long ago - the taste of Orc blood has splattered into his mouth and caked his hair. It is, perhaps, the grosses thing he's ever tasted in life, and takes forever to rinse out.

No time for complaints - the elf slashes a cut into the next Orc's shoulder. Bloody, but not enough to fall it. He prepares for another assault.

Surprise round. 2 attacks with main hand, 16 damage, killed #1. Offhand bonus attack, 7 damage on #2. Will take normal round after the others resolve theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
gonna bump DEX with my 4th level of Cleric, gain Thaumaturgy cantrip for the lolz

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 39/39 | HD: 4/4d8+1/1d10 | AC:17/19 | Arrows: 18 17 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]4/4 [Lv.2]3/3

Sereia is continually astounded by the simultaneous grace and ferocity of Quilian's ambushes.
Taking aim at the orc wounded by the elvish blade, she draws on her bowstring and looses an arrow.

Longbow: attack @ 1d20+7 = 17, damage @ 1d8+4 = 12, ghetto crit

• Locked thread