Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
That is 2 orcs down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Zarnov
HP 32/32, AC15 (mage armor), Spell Slots 3//3/2, Arcane Recovery

A bolt of flame flies from Zarnov's fingertips. Practice is paying off - this one hits a lot harder than it used to!

Fire bolt: 1d20+6 16 2d10 12 damage.

Level 5: +6HP
spells gained: fireball, vampiric touch

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Chapter 5 Stop the Raiders - Northern Caves

Two orcs fall in quick succession to Quilian's blades and Sereia's arrow. The third is nearly brought low with a bolt of fire from Zarnov's fingers. As smoke curls from the injury, and flesh crackles and blackens the orc looks up in surprise, and is still too slow to stop the upcoming attacks.

Initiative
19 Sereia :rolldice:
18 Quilian :rolldice:
07 Shamis :rolldice:
06 Orc
05 Zarnov the Magnificent

Map

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 39/39 | HD: 4/4d8+1/1d10 | AC:17/19 | Arrows: 17 16 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]4/4 [Lv.2]3/3

The fiery-haired half-elf follows up Zarnov's fiery bolt with another missile from her longbow.

Longbow: attack @ 1d20+7 = 14 :ohdear:, damage @ 1d8+4 = 12, ghetto crit, again

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

And the third orc falls.

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Quilian Nailos [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 34/34 5(5HD) | AC: 16 | Arrows: 40 | Spells: 1st 4(4), 2nd 2(2)

Overwhelming offense is a favored tactic of Quilian. This time, it went perfectly. It too helps that the party has grown much stronger since their last run in.

Now the area is clear. Well, clearer. Quilian takes the group near area where the three Orcs were, where it should be safe to stay low while Quilian scouts the rest of the area and plans their next direction.

Not sure what directions are available once in area 10, sounded like a few paths open up. Hopefully now Quilian can see more of the area with the three Orcs gone and can tell what's what.

Stealth if relevant: Map roll 21

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
recover 1 arrow

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 39/39 | HD: 4/4d8+1/1d10 | AC:17/19 | Arrows: 16 17 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]4/4 [Lv.2]3/3

Stealth: 1d20+4 = 5 :downs:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Quilian slips forward, stealthily, and spots a few groups of orcs. Four orcs near a watering hole. Two orcs near a wall. And the final group he can spot from where he is has another four orcs. Sereia followed along, not all that stealthily, but the orcs seem to have not payed too much attention to her bumbling about.

Map updated

4 orcs at a, 2 orcs at b, and 4 orcs at c.

And thanks to disadvantage on Perception rolls the orcs do not hear Sereia.

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Counting the Orcs had Quilian too busy to notice Sereia taking after him. Up until she shows up behind him, standing much too tall to be considered stealthing or hidden. A soft hug to her waistline and a nudging pull brings her down to a crouch.

"The elven gift to move unnoticed only goes so far. Fortunate that these Orcs are duller than the norm - but if you should want lessons to better use that gift, you need only ask."

He gestures over to the west (area designated A).. "But it is good that you are here. I believe the Orcs at that camp are best to assault first. They are isolated.. Well, mostly so."

I'm good to assault group A. Can we get the group up to where me and Sereia are to attack without stealth? Group A seems out of the way enough but it's pretty rough to tell just how visible we are to the others.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Shamis Aeryn

After seeing the cleric kick every loose stone on the way there with no response from the orcs, the fighter just walks after her with near complete disrespect for her enemies. She happens upon some discussion of elven gifts and being noticed and meet me in my bedchamber for private lessons. Trying to grow a rose in an orc pit, if you asked her. She rolls her eyes and speaks her mind, "Let's just shoot the couple, no one in the other two camps has line of sight to them with their backs against the wall. Lot less risky trying to take them out before they make a sound or charge or whatever."

http://orokos.com/roll/258335: 1d20+3 6
49/49 HP, 18 AC, 4/4 SD

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Quilian leads the group toward the orcs in the little offshoot alcove area, where they might not be seen by the other orcs. You move up to them and catch them by surprise.

Okay everyone gets a surprise round before the orcs can go.

Map

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shamis Aeryn

3 quarrels, no problem.

http://orokos.com/roll/258416: 3#1d20+8 18 20 24 3#1d6+3 4 8 4

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Zarnov
HP 32/32, AC15 (mage armor), Spell Slots 3/2/2, Arcane Recovery

"Surprise!"

Scorching rays leap from Zarnov's fingers. The love gets spread around, nailing orcs that Shamis wounded to finish them off.

Scorching rays vs orcs: 3#2d20k1+6 17 24 21 3#2d6 9 9 11. Three hits, spread the damage around to kill off Shamis's wounded 3.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Shamis kills 1 orc, Zarnov kills another and nearly kills the third. One orc at full and the other nearly burned to death.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Shamis's eagerness was welcoming, if oddly received. It is not unusual for a group to become restless when sending one to scout.

But, it has paid off well enough. She is right to strike and swiftly so. Even Zarnov is hot on her tail, in a literal sense as well. Sereia is no doubt readying her own assault, which means Quilian ought to act now while there's still foes left to cut up!

Maprolls: good hits, not so good damage but killed the really healthy one. one really wounded orc left!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 39/39 | HD: 4/4d8+1/1d10 | AC:17/19 | Arrows: 17 16 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]4/4 [Lv.2]3/3

:blush:
Trying to hide her embarrassment only causes chills to run up Sereia's spine. She tries hard to focus her senses again, taking aim with her bow.

Longbow: attack @ 1d20+7 = 16, damage @ 1d8+4 = 6

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

And the final orc at this camp falls, face first into the ashes that indicate an old fire pit. Clearly not used for light, but rather for cooking meat on occasion. Looking about the watering hole looks to be a small camp.

Fight is over. You guys are steamrolling them now.

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sheathing his swords, Quilian draws on a long knife hidden in his boot. He begins to hack away at the neck of a fallen Orc.

"They fight against a foe they cannot hope to win against.."

By the tenth or so whack, the head comes off. He holds it by the hair in his hand, wiping what blood he can off his knife before putting it back in his boot.

".. Striking from the shadows has culled further their numbers. Now, we show ourselves."

Moving with the group in a northward path, he takes no effort to hide. Somewhere nearby will be more Orcs. Before them, he will show the severed head and install fear - they are being hunted, and they cannot escape.

Wherever the next group of Orcs is, we'll face them head on as a group. With any luck, the severed head and Quilian's challenge will make them fearful. They may flee, or perhaps summon their strongest to fight, ending this quickly when we win (and we will, too!).

Intimidation, map roll: 17

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

As Quilian comes forth with an orc's head in his hands the orcs in the next camp look up. His behavior, his mannerisms, and perhaps something else about the way he holds himself, puts fear into their bellies, and they flee, screaming in orcish.

Any orcs still remaining in these caves must know about the intruders now.

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Boasting Orcish words of challenge sends them running, probably to the other camp to herald the group's coming. Tossing aside the leaking head, he draws his blades once more.

"They will spread the word to those that remain. Strength is law for Orcs, and ours is undeniable. Normally this would be enough to route out an aimless group, but a proper war chief will not give up on threat so easily. If one is to be found here, we must see it dead to end this threat completely. Be prepared, such an Orc will be made of more cunning and strength than the average."

Onwards to the last camp!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Feeling that the time of the orcs is neigh Quilian marches forth like death. And the orcs flee, at least at first. But once they make it to their chief, who beats some courage into them. All the remaining orcs come together at the screams, and the chief's commands. And so too does the orog. They head off Quilian's march, ready for the coming of the orc death.

As everyone readies for combat the heavy orc-kin rushes Quilian, ripping into him twice with his greataxe. And Quilian is nearly brought low. The sight of the elf's blood flowing so heartens the orcs that were otherwise ready to flee the tunnels.

Okay no surprise, and now instead of fighting them in groups of 2 or 4 you got all of them in one spot. The Orog wins initiative and rushes Quilian with a multiattack for 7 and 16 damage.

Initiative
19 Orog
18 Zarnov
17 Sereia
16 Quilian
16 Orcs
10 Orc Chieftain
09 Shamis

Map

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Zarnov
HP 32/32, AC15 (mage armor), Spell Slots 3/2/1, Arcane Recovery, DC15 saves

"Yes, yes...soon your charred corpses will serve as my undead army! Wait, did I say that out loud?"

A fireball launches from Zar's fingertip, immolating the lot of them.

Dropping the fireball between the orc chieftain and orc3, so it hits all the orcs and the orog too. fireball, DC15 dex saves: 8d6 39 damage. Save for half, suckers.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Orcs fall in burned cinders, leaving just the Chief who struggles through the fireball through sheer determination, not so much dodging the flames as just shrugging them off with massive burns. And the Orog too. Though it looks to be on the verge of death's door from Zarnov's flames.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Lothire posted:

Quilian Nailos

Sheathing his swords, Quilian draws on a long knife hidden in his boot. He begins to hack away at the neck of a fallen Orc.
By the tenth or so whack, the head comes off. He holds it by the hair in his hand, wiping what blood he can off his knife before putting it back in his boot.

:barf: Not cool, bro. Sereia is dainty and would be very put-off by this.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 39/39 | HD: 4/4d8+1/1d10 | AC:17/19 | Arrows: 17 16 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]4/4 [Lv.2]3 2/3

True to form, Sereia places her hands on Quilian's shoulders, steeling him against the assault of the orcish brutes. She leans in and whispers into his ear, "Be strong; we haven't much more of this to endure."

Cure Wounds[2]: 2d8+6 = 15
Move: 1 square right of Shamis; put as much distance as possible between me and the Chieftain, and far enough that Orog would provoke from Quilian if he moves to engage me

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

HP: 26/34 5(5HD) | AC: 16 | Arrows: 40 | Spells: 1st 4(4), 2nd 2(2)

The force is as big as he figured it'd be.. But, An Orog?! Quilian is the one to be surprised here, not just in the attack, but of the monster itself. Much like the Drow, he thought them only legends lost in time. The bite of its greataxe is real enough, landing a blow against his blades that crush them into his chest.

But he is defiant, withstanding the blow and pushing the creature away. Sereia restores both body and mind with her words, giving him faith in his next assault.

Maprolls against Orog, 19 hit, 8 damage. Probably dead!

As the creature winds another blow Quilian is there to intercept. An exchange of blade on axe tires the crispy creature enough for its defenses to break. Violently Quilian thrusts his blade into the creature's gut, bringing it to its knees. A stab through it's neck, and a final swipe of his blades decapitates the Orog.

Beyond the Orog lies the chieftain. Fueled by the victory, he charges through the flames left behind Zarnov's spell and slashes with precision against the boss. He makes his assault as gory as possible - hammering home the fear that has accompanied the elf thus far into the remaining orcs.

Maprolls against Chieftain, second attack miss, bonus offhand attack = 19 hit, 13 damage.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 26, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Orcs burn, and the orog is brought low by Quilian who keeps going and lands a heavy blow against the chieftain. The chief grunts, looks around at the fallen orcs, and is enraged. He quickly realizes there is no way he can escape your group without getting cut down from behind, so he decides to take out as many of you as he can.

He lands a tremendous blow against Quilian, knocking the elf unconscious with a single blow, then he follows up with another shot but overcompensates for the falling elf and fails to take Quilian's head off his shoulders.

Then he looks up to all of you and gives a roar of defiance.

Quilian is crit for 28 damage, knocking him unconscious. Then he is narrowly missed, unless there is some advantage against unconscious characters thing that I don't feel like looking up.

Everyone is up!

Initiative
19 Orog
18 Zarnov
17 Sereia
16 Quilian
16 Orcs
10 Orc Chieftain
09 Shamis

Map

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 39/39 | HD: 4/4d8+1/1d10 | AC:17/19 | Arrows: 16 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]4/4 [Lv.2]2 1/3

Gasping in shock at the violence visited by and upon Quilian, Sereia's facial expression then becomes stern.
Holding out a hand, illusory waves rise up from the floor of the cave, then crest and crash down upon the brutish orc.

Action: Hold Person, DC 14 WIS save or be paralyzed for [Concentration, up to 1 minute]

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Wis Save 14, exactly.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:bang:

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

Quilian is crit for 28 damage, knocking him unconscious. Then he is narrowly missed, unless there is some advantage against unconscious characters thing that I don't feel like looking up.
It's more than just advantage actually. This could be when having 10 con in melee finally catches up with Quilian.

Unconscious
• An unconscious creature is incapacitated (see the condition), can’t move or speak, and is unaware of its surroundings
• The creature drops whatever it’s holding and falls prone.
• The creature automatically fails Strength and Dexterity saving throws.
• Attack rolls against the creature have advantage.
• Any attack that hits the creature is a critical hit if the attacker is within 5 feet of the creature.

So not only does the thing get a reroll, but if it hits at all it will crit again. -2 to -34 unlikely but possible. Otherwise he gets healed and is fine.

fake edit; whoops never mind Sereia didn't heal him. Even if the attack doesn't instakill him through negative max hp, crits still inflict 2 death save failures. That means if the reroll hits but doesn't kill, he might die anyway if he fails his 3rd save on his turn.

Shamis Aeryn

Shamis thinks it odd that Sereia doesn't heal Killer probably when he needs it most. As if the fighter needed her help killing the monster...

She has 5 bolts ready, one loaded and one between each of her fingers. 5 seconds later, the chieftain would have that many more feathers in his cap if he didn't make like he was gonna fall down first. Now was he ducking or dying?

http://orokos.com/roll/259322: 5#1d20+8 16 23 25 24 12 5#1d6+3 7 8 8 5 5...
15, 12, 9, 11, and a miss. 37 damage total, make up to 4 will saves or be frightened of me if the thing is somehow still alive. If 26 damage was enough and I don't need the fourth attack I'll action surge anyway to walk over and stabilize Quilian. Otherwise idk Zarnov could do it.

49/49 HP, 18 AC, 4/4 SD

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well reroll with advantage then!

Orcs burn, and the orog is brought low by Quilian who keeps going and lands a heavy blow against the chieftain. The chief grunts, looks around at the fallen orcs, and is enraged. He quickly realizes there is no way he can escape your group without getting cut down from behind, so he decides to take out as many of you as he can.

He lands a tremendous blow against Quilian, knocking the elf unconscious with a single blow, then he follows up with another shot but overcompensates for the falling elf and fails to take Quilian's head off his shoulders. easily striking the fallen elf.

Then he looks up to all of you and gives a roar of defiance.

Sereia tries to hold the mighty orc in place with her faith, but his will is too strong to be contained!

Shamis unleashes a storm of bolts that pincushion the orc. The creature is bleeding and panting as the numerous wounds wear it down. But it is not out, not yet. It lets out some, weaker, savage growls. But Shamis can see the fear in its eyes as it looks at her in pain and rage.

Quilian is crit for 28 damage, knocking him unconscious. Then he is narrowly missed easily hit, unless there is some advantage against unconscious characters thing that I don't feel like looking up for 20 damage on a crit giving him 2 failed death saves.

Passes the Wis save, barely, then gets pincushioned for just barely not enough damage to take him out. Passes 2 saves fails 2 saves.

Initiative
19 Orog
18 Zarnov :rolldice:
17 Sereia
16 Quilian :rolldice: 2 failed death saves!
16 Orcs
10 Orc Chieftain
09 Shamis

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

HP: 26/34 5(5HD) | AC: 16 | Arrows: 40 | Spells: 1st 4(4), 2nd 2(2)

Savage and brutal are the exchanges, and what would have fallen any other Ranger, Quilian inhumanly defies. Bloody and suffering from a broken bone or two, he crawls to his feet as the chieftain recoils from the sight.

The spirit of a killer lurks behind the elf's eyes. Unflinching, cold. When his blades flash into the chief's body, the creature does not feel it. How could something so broken move with such speed? It was simply impossible.

Numerous times does Quilian's longswords strike the deceased body. Blood covers ground and elf alike, flying in streaks with every draw and slash. There seems to be no end in sight for Quilian, his whole purpose of existance right now is only to strike and slash and cut and maim. What he does now is not swordsmanship. It is vile and repulsive.. But the elf does not stop.

Could Quilian's first 5e death come by the hands of a severely-out-of-date adventure?!

Apparently not (yet). Crit rolled 20 on recovery on Maprolls. Brought to 1 HP! And lots of damage that resulted in a dead chief.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Epilogue

In a bloody frenzy the final orc falls and Quilian rises covered in blood. Injured but victorious. The group binds their wounds, takes a few trophies for proof, and makes their way back to main Blingdenstone. They are hailed as heroes, feasted as well as the deep gnomes can, and honored greatly. Statues are put up in their likenesses and songs are written of their bravery. What orcs and kobolds managed to avoid the groups genocide have fled and no longer bother Blingdenstone.

The heroes have a month of resting, refreshing, and recovering while everyone cheers them. They watch as the deep gnomes do their best to rebuild their city. They watch as the deep gnomes and pech come to an understanding thanks to their aid. They watch as deep gnomes enjoy the music of the singing stones, and their deep divine connection of the speaking stones. They watch as Burrow Warden Kargien is eventually crowned after an election, a number of influential deep gnomes giving him their vote after all the good the heroes did, and having the crown really helps.

Eventually the heroes grow restless and leave Blingdenstone in search of their next adventure.

Thanks for playing! And stay tuned as I have another recruit up that is currently looking for players, and will probably start soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Sure was a struggle getting through the game! Thanks for running it. It's pretty funny how much the old rules clashed with 5e being out proper. I'm not sure about how to feel on the melee side of Ranger, his lacking defenses really hurts.. But a lot of that comes from going toe to toe with Orcs that all seem to crit endlessly. Even up until the very last Orc! Between tanking the many Orcs with a shield and now this, rolling a crit on my death save to stand up and kill the last chief.. It's been a hell of a roller coaster. Looking forward to the next game.

And now, Epilogues..

For Quilian, the trip back is solemn. He remembers losing his footing, thinking he might have been struck a fatal blow.. But he stood up, fought back. Then several minutes exhausting his arms on the body, resorting to kicking and stomping on it when his arms wouldn't respond. Did he really do that? Did he snap? He can't even recall what he felt. Just cold, overwhelmingly focused, like a relentless hunter with no emotion. Yet the memory does not summon a sense of fear.

It's been said, those who follow in nature's way tend to lose their sanity. Perhaps he has invoked the Hunter's spell one too many times, treading too close to primal ley lines. The residual effects may have played on his senses. Too hard to tell, but in the following days of merriment and overly-salted gnomish food, it is an incident he puts behind him. The Orcs have been driven away, along with all their other accomplished deeds. His tasks become more mundane, helping to physically rebuild homes and structures. It is a welcoming change from swords and sorcery, renewing the grin that had been lost during these times of trial.

Speaking of magic, Quilian is sure to address Zarnov before his ultimate departure. The red-skinned individual had been quite instrumental in more than a few occasions, and their trip to the Outpost would not have gone as smoothly without his well-practiced ways. When they say their goodbyes, he cannot help but reflect; while he did not learn of the man as well as he would have liked, he will remember the person with an equal sense of curiosity and awe.

He is even less certain of Shamis, who he utterly failed to understand during their time together. Some people prefer to stick to themselves entirely, and that is not inherently bad nor even wrong. It is only a shame.

Finally, there was Sereia. Where most adventurers come to the life by choice, she seemed to have fallen into it. Timid at times, yet stalwart when it counts. He would never say something so rude openly, but she reminded him of an old pet mouse he once had. And there was their kinship - Quilian has known so very few other wood elves since his departure from home all those years ago. Her sight is refreshing, yet she also invokes questions of faith and gods. Her attitudes towards Corellon, the father of elves, seemed almost indifferent. He was not quite clear on who she followed in his stead, though it must have been a strong connection to invoke such divinity.

Quilian spends considerable time remaining with the gnomes. But word reaches even the depths of the Underdark, talk of dragons and long-dead gods coming from the surface, of monsters running unchecked while adventurers struggle to fend the tide. The pull of adventure takes hold, stroking his wonderlust and tempting him back to the surface. Before he makes for a final departure back to the world above, he offers Sereia the opportunity to join him. He hopes she may come to find her purpose during their travels, and perhaps better teach her the use of their elven gift along the way. As for himself, good company while out exploring the vast world would do him comfort.

• Locked thread