Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 10/10 | AC:17 | Arrows: 19 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]1/2

Sereia moves up, drawing her shortsword. Brandishing her shield, the holy symbol emblazoned upon it glows with holy energy.

Put me 1 square West and 2 squares South of Shamis, Sacred Flame at Orc 3
DC 1513 Dex save or take 1d8 Radiant Damage.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Grim Evenwood
HP: 10 | AC: 13 | Spell Slots: 1

Grim had been tagging along the whole time. Honestly, he was bored out of his mind. Geez, wouldn't these geezers just shut up and point him at something to kill already?

Luckily, he got his chance soon enough with the second orc attack. The last one had been easy enough, right? This is pretty much just a game at this point. He pantomimed drawing a bow, aiming at the nearest orc to his left--they seemed to be focusing on an attack on that flank. Charging up his arcane energy through the flexed arm, he "releases" the string, sending the blast at the horde. He was too focused on showing off, though, and the attack swerves further left than he had hoped.

Eldritch blast: 1d20+5 9 1d10 7

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Chapter 1 - Phantasmal Glamours

While Shamis managed to take out one orc the others remain standing, even if one has an arrow sticking out of one arm and some singes from some near misses. One orc rushes forward and slams its axe into Shamis in retaliation but her armor absorbs the entirety of the blow. A second orc follows suit and smacks her with its axe as well, she is ever so slightly bruised by the impact. Once more proving just how touch she is. The near dead orc that Shamis shot, through the eye, rushes her and swings, but misses by quite a bit, then falls down finally realizing it was dead. And the final orc charges Shamis, getting about as far as he could, and overextended himself and missed as well.

Orc 1 moves up and hits Shamis for 3 damage, but well Heavy Armor Mastery reduces it by up to 3 damage, so yeah. Orc 3 follows suit and does 5 damage, or 2 damage after HAM. Also because I forgot something the now dead orc rushes Shamis, misses, THEN dies.

Everyone is up!

map not updated quite yet, all the orcs are right next to/in front of Shamis.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Zarnov
HP 8/8, AC12, Spell Slots 1/2

Sighing heavily with mock drama, Zarnov says, "I suppose I'll have to kill you all. You had your chance to flee."

He steps into range and blasts the orcs with a fingertip inferno. Successful or no, he then steps back a bit to let his companions clean up.

Burning Hands, DC13 Dex save for half damage: 3d6 9 fire damage.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Shamis Aeryn
11/13 HP, 16-18 AC

These orcs aren't tired as the last ones either, they take one last swing as they go down. Better watch out, because they'd probably be making them all real soon. "Zarnov, got a light?"

Taking the Disengage action and making space for Burning Hands to not hit me. Still staying in front, and giving Zarnov a pocket to run to. Drawing my whip too, which lets me opp attack if any of them live and try to close I guess.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 29, 2014

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Grim Evenwood

Grim holds his arms in front of him in weak defense as the orcs charge toward the party. As they stop to swing at his companion, he doesn't hesitate to pop off another blast quickly.

Attacking whatever Orc looks badly damaged: 1d20+5 17 1d10 8

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Quilian Nailos [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 10 | AC: 15 | Arrows: 40

Shamis braving the rush of Orcs is a sight to behold. So few has Quilian seen survive even one, yet she holds strong against four. Emboldened by his comrades, the elf singles out the southern-most Orc. Flinging elbows and knees as much as blades doesn't help him break past the Orcs defenses.

Attack action: 1#1d20+5 7
Bonus attack action: 1#1d20+5 12
*probably missed bonus attack but if I didn't*Damage: 1#1d6 1

Hopefully being south of the pack gets me out of their threat zone should any get a death swing, save for the one I'm attacking.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 10/10 | AC:17 | Arrows: 19 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]1/2

"Damnit!"
Sereia clangs on her shield with the pommel of her shortsword, again channeling divine energies.

Keep me 1 square West and 2 squares South of Shamis (wherever she is now), Sacred Flame at Orc 3 (if he's still alive, otherwise at the most beaten-up Orc.)
DC 13 Dex save or take 1d8 Radiant Damage.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Two of the orcs are seared with eldritch and holy energy, clearly dead orcs standing, but they live on just long enough to get a little pay back. One is has a hole punched through his midsection, still burning with eldritch green fires, then proceeds to nearly cut Quilian in half. The orc seared by holy light staggers forward to nearly cut down Shamis, but her armor and sheer grit keep her standing as the orc falls over dead having spent what little life it had left on an attack that was not quite enough. The final orc looks as its companions all fall, then with a calculating look turns and attempts to run away.

Orc 4 is hit by Eldritch Blast, brought negative, but not enough to outright kill it, so it gets a free attack on a nearby enemy which is Quilian. Hits with a crit for 17 damage, bringing Quilian to 0, and only 3 damage away from outright killing him. Man orcs are swingy.

Orc 3 is seared by holy light, then attacks Shamis because Zarnov moved back to a safer spot, somehow. The attack would have left her at 1 hp, but HAM protects her, leaving her at 4 hp instead. The last orc was going to smack her into negatives, but actually will instead try to retreat. It uses the Disengage action then moves 30' leaving it 40' away from Shamis who is the closest to it.

Everyone is up!

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

HP: -7 | AC: 15 | Arrows: 40

It seemed impossible for the orc to strike with such a hole forged in its body. When its axe came down, Quilian brought his blades up to parry but were pushed aside by the savage might of the blow. Deep red blood sprays from the newly created axe wound in his chest, sending the elf down to the floor and out of the fight.

Death Saving Throw 1: 1#1d20 5
1 failed death save.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shamis Aeryn
13/13 HP, 16-18 AC

The fighter tilts her head right and left, adjusting her neck with two chiropractic cracks. Then she stows her still-coiled whip, draws a loaded sling, moves into range, and tries to take down the runner with a figure eight swing and snap.

After letting the missile fly, she moves back to the group. If she has it her way, the last orc won't get a chance to make his parting shot at anything but air.

Second wind, move within 30' of the orc, shoot it, move as far away from the orc as I can with the rest of my speed.

(10:45:59 PM) slydingdoor: !r 1d10+1
(10:46:01 PM) Krysmbot: slydingdoor, 9+1 = 10 (second wind heal)
(10:48:17 PM) slydingdoor: !r 1d20+7
(10:48:18 PM) Krysmbot: slydingdoor, 6+7 = 13 (sling to-hit)
(10:50:36 PM) slydingdoor: !r 1d4+3
(10:50:36 PM) Krysmbot: slydingdoor, 2+3 = 5 (sling damage)

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 30, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 10/10 | AC:17 | Arrows: 19 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]10/2

Hurrying over to Quilian, Sereia drops to one knee, sheathing her sword.
Looking to Zarnov and Grim, she points two fingers towards the orc; "Don't let him get away," she says - almost calmly - but her voice strains.

Her eyes shift down to her elf compatriot, concern crossing her brow, and placing a hand onto his shoulder, watching for some kind of reaction.

Cure Wounds: 1d8+3 = 4

*FART*
Quilian is up @ 4 HP

It's actually +6; forgot about my Disciple of Life feature (thanks, slydingdoor) so 7 HP for Quilian.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 30, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Zarnov
HP 8/8, AC12, Spell Slots 0/2

Zarnov was torn. He wants the orc to survive and warn the others of the new Asmodeus-powered might of the gnomes. Perhaps they will stay away next time. Killing them all will remove that element of fear.

But for good measure, he pops the orc with a fire bolt vs fleeing orc: 1d20+5 19, 1d10 5 damage.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Grim Evenwood

In the whirlwind of battle, Grim will take a pot shot of the nearest orc.

Hard to tell what's left. I'll target the fleeing orc, unless there's another one still in battle. Won't matter much though because...

Mop-up Eldtritch Blast!: 1d20+5 10 1d10 4

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The final orc falls a burned crisp, failing to get away. The guards are still a bit alert, those that survived, and eventually Henkala Shadowsong comes out of her hiding place. More importantly the pech, who had hidden at the first sign of danger by melding into the stone, slowly reveal themselves. She spots the pech, and approaches cautiously, to avoid scaring the pech again.

She turns to you and asks, "you managed to get their help?"

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Zarnov

"That we did, my good lady. That we did."

Zarnov looks casually to his wounded comrades and to his own scorched handiwork.

"A shame one of them didn't survive to warn them of the dangers of attacking Blingdenstone again. But after enough patrols don't return, they will eventually get the picture."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shamis Aeryn
13/13 HP, 16-18 AC

The folk heroine scoffs as she helps one elf haul another back to his feet, "You'd rather have them learn to start swinging at you? Thought wizards were supposed to be smart. Speaking of people who can't take a hit, we gotta pitch in and buy you a shield, Killer."

Where to now?

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

HP: 7 | AC: 15 | Arrows: 40

Responding to Sereia's spell, flecks of blood stain his mask as Quilian awakens with a series of deep coughs. It takes several minutes for him to regain his senses, favoring the cold cavern floor until the others coax him to his feet. It takes a few more before his senses return to him fully. His chest still feels the weight of the axe that laid him low; though mended, it still felt bruised and sore. The armor on his chest now sports a bloody gash where links in the chain were rent apart, severing the leather underneath. A shame, it was still reasonably new until now.

He shares his gratitude for Shamis and Sereia's help before taking control of himself once more. In a worn out tone, "I should consider leaving the closer fights to the professionals" whilst tapping her armor. The sensation in his chest is bothersome, but negligible as he reclaims his fallen weaponry. While the others are talking to the gnome, Quilian assures the Pechs of his well being while cleaning off his blood soaked mask. Once done, he looks over the slain Orc bodies, searching them for any clues as to their purpose of attack or useful goods - though he expects to find little evidence of a plan.

Searching bodies. Quilian is good to go whenever the group is, suggesting we find a way to set up camp for a long rest. Maybe look for an inn somewhere, whatever we can settle on.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 31, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 10/10 | AC:17 | Arrows: 19 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]0/2

"...you're welcome." :sigh:

Sereia sheathes her sword, for the time being.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shamis Aeryn
13/13 HP, 16-18 AC

The human gives Sereia a raised eyebrow look and points with a disapproving glance to Quilian as if to say "you're interested in him?" then shrugs.

At the moment she's more interested in picking out the best greataxe of the lot. Turns out it's the one that almost chopped someone in half. She cleans the blood off it, gives it a few swipes of steel to tune the blade, and adds it to the collection. Never know when you just need one haymaker of a blow.

You also need to know when it's time to recover. "Henkala, where's a safe place to rest?" Going there and setting up that secretary/town crier thing were next on the list. She suggests to Grim that he set it up, since he didn't seem to have exerted himself that much.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Henkala Shadowsong gives the question some thought before answering. "Well The Singing Stones should be safe, though it is not being used as a tavern anymore it is our makeshift barracks and houses our guards."

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

The Orc gear is rather shoddy, but durable. Most likely goods plundered from elsewhere. The armors and arrows are tied and placed in his bag while the greataxes and shortbows are strapped to it. A side pouch on his belt fills up with what coin he could find. While the added weight means little to his overall strength, the new weapons play with his sense of balance. The pain in his chest protests against the increased weight of the bag, a sensation that is ignored regardless. The mention of a place to rest catches his ear as he moves back to the group.

"I can continue, but I admit that a long rest would see me better off."

Quilian will take the scouting lead again, though it sounds unnecessary for the trip to the inn/barracks.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shamis Aeryn
13/13 HP, 16-18 AC

"Great, we'll check it out. But first we need to talk about magic weapons. See, we're gonna have to beat up some elementals, include the Bane..."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

You speak to Henkala Shadowsong about how the Bane is resistant to non-magical attacks. She is thoughtful for a moment before disappearing into what remains of her store, then returning with a very nice looking handaxe.

"I was going to give this to you as a reward, but if you need it to defeat the Bane in the first place then take it."

It is a +1 handaxe.

You then head toward the Singing Stones

Chapter 1 - The Singing Stones

Wide columns of stone divide this large central cavern, which now serves as a barracks for weary gnome warriors. The Speaking Stones are on the eastern side, and the Singing Stones are to the west.

The Singing Stones was once a tavern that attracted large crowds by altering the pitch of vibrations emitted by a specific type of crystal. Few members of other races could hear the vibrations, let alone appreciate the intricate harmonies, but svirfneblin consider it the highest form of music.

Although the tavern is in ruins. Gurmadden Stonesinger, an eager young bard is striving to recreate the effect of the stones.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shamis Aeryn
13/13 HP, 16-18 AC

Shamis, a glassblower herself, is familiar with crystallophones and makes talk with Gurmadden Stonesinger about the Singing Stones while everyone rests. Maybe he'll have a quest to give or something, or better yet, he'd be willing to be their secretary.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 1, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia has a lackadaisical look on her face, slowly wandering over towards the Speaking Stones, not really sure if anyone else will be there or if any of her comrades will follow. Regardless, she seems intent on going there.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Grim Evenwood

Grim follows the party dutifully. They keep talking about resting and bandaging their wounds, but he felt fine. Could keep fighting for another tenday with no sleep. Don't know what they're complaining about. "Wimps," he says aloud, then realizes it was audible. "Er, uh, the orcs. Yeah."

As they head into the Singing Stones cavern, Grim will approach the svirfneblin(?) who seems to be trying to tune(??) the crystal formations in front of them all. Grim was never much for music, at least the creation thereof. He usually feigned interest when it came to elven ballads, but the truth is that he was a bit tone-deaf, so the tinging as the gnome struck the crystals with a small instrument sounded just as much music as anything else to the young warlock.

He approaches the apparent bard and calls out, "Nice tune you got there. It have a name yet?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Gurmadden Stonesinger looks up eagerly as a couple people approach with apparent interest.

"Many of the stones were damaged in the drow assault and over the years since. I know where replacements can be found, but the journey is too dangerous for me to undertake. Fine crystals from the Wormwrithings sing perfectly, but kobolds infest the place.

"Those same kobolds have moved into the southeastern caverns of our city. Kargien thinks they must have found a passage from the Wormwrithings."

Guradden hesitates, nervously twisting a silver ring set with a fire opal around his finger.

Then he says, "I know it's asking a lot. But you'd be doing me and the city a great service if you'd cut your way through the kobolds, find the passage they're using, gather at least six singing crystals, and close the passage on your way back."

He shows you a few samples of the crystals he is looking for, and offers to pay 10 gp for each singing crystal you bring back to him.

Chapter 1 - The Speaking Stones

Two dozen stone monoliths stand here, arranged in a rough circle with a gap on one side. Seven of the stones, about evenly spaced, stand around eight feet tall, much taller than the rest. Each taller monolith has a vaguely humanoid shape, stooped and bent like a giant, sleeping deep gnome.

A glum svirfneblin priest named Pingtu lingers around the stones, in the hopes of hearing any stirring.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Moving towards the centre of the monolithic enclave, Sereia slowly stoops to one knee.

She was continually disheartened by the ground being stone everywhere; it was unhelpful for getting into her usual prayer stance. A frown crossed her face once again. She instead folded her hands over her upright knee, shield still on her arm, and closed her eyes, head tilting down slightly.

"There was a time when the posture was a lot more important.." she thought to herself.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 1, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Zarnov

Feeling a bit mischievous, Zarnov discreetly casts a minor illusion on the tallest monolith. It starts to emit a faint, almost inaudible humming sound of a constant pitch and tone.

"Odd, does anyone else hear that?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Though still glum the priest Pingtu seems to almost smile at Sereia's actions. But that is quickly washed away as he hears the hum, he looks to the monolith, then shakes his head and looks about with suspicion.

Still when Sereia finally finishes her prayer, as she seems rather devout and that touches something in his heart, he speaks to her.

"Back in the old days, we communed with our gods through the Speaking Stones. We have tried to call on them again, but they have been silent for all the years since our return. Many of us think we cannot possibly hope to reclaim the whole city while the stones are sleeping. Waking them will restore our spiritual heart. It night even restore our hope. Then, perhaps, we can finish the work we have started."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia slowly opens her eyes, but stays kneeling; keeping herself at eye-level with the gnome -- hoping he takes no disrespect in it.

"Does anyone know how the stones were 'put to sleep?' Perhaps it was hope that fuelled the stones, and not the other way around."
A gentle smile crosses her face, speaking with deep sincerity.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Pingtu nods at Sereia's words. "It is a thought. The Speaking Stones spoke to use before we fled, and have been silent since. It could be that we have lost faith, though I do not believe it to be so. I, and others among my craft, believe that the Speaking Stones have been cursed."

The deep gnome sighs, dwelling on the past, his face full of regret.

"Before the attack I had been an acolyte studyding under High Priest Bendekik, but I have not been here long, and I fear my expertise is limited."

He looks up at the stones. "Legend holds that the stones are ancient galeb duhrs, humanoids hailing from the Elemental Plane of Earth. They are so ancient that they are indistinguishable from stone, and they have never moved in the memory of our people.

"In the old days, the area emitted faint, persistent vibrations. We used ritual divinations during which the vibrations changed frequency. Every priest knows how to perform the rituals and interpret these vibrations.

"Bendekik died defending this chamber from the drow. When we svirfneblin arrived here forty years ago, long before I personally arrived, Bendekik's remains were found in the center of the menhir circle."

He looks sadly toward the center of this circle of stones.

"They removed the bones and interred them beneath The Ruby in the Rough.

"When I recently tried a ritual divination I heard the voice of my dead master begin to speak. Before I could hear anything coherent I ..."

He looks down ashamed, "...fled."

He looks up into Sereia's eyes, "I admit I was afraid a vengeful ghost was manifesting. I am still afraid, much to my shame, and I haven't tried another ritual since."

He takes a deep breath.

"I would like to make up for my previous cowardice, to attempt the ritual again. All I ask is that you watch over me and protect me from any bitter apparition that might appear."

Then he awaits a response.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Quilian hides a tired smirk at Zarnov's prank behind his mask. When the priest speaks to Sereia of a possible ghostly arrival, he tenses. Standing a few steps away from the stones, he slides his bag off to the ground and assumes his usual poster; hands rested on the pommels of his swords. Should something hostile appear, he'll bring himself to meet it.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

"It isn't easy to always be brave; in fact, it's quite impossible.. All we can do is try and be stronger as time goes on, so take heart that you are doing just that." :)

"We have encountered the Orcs twice since we have arrived here; they have taken quite a toll on us, myself and my colleague here in particular," she says, looking over her shoulder to acknowledge Quilian. "Perhaps we might rest, and see about this ritual in the morning?"

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 1, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Pingtu nods at Sereia's words. "Perhaps that would be for the best." Then, assuming you don't do anything else, he goes about trying to find somewhere for you to sleep, and some food and water. Sparse amounts of the latter, but at least enough to take care of you for the night.

Unless you want to do something else first we will be going into a Long Rest.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Unless you want to do something else first we will be going into a Long Rest.

I'm done here.

Can Zarnov or Grim do a detect magic, to see if the stones really are "cursed"?

Other than that, I'll leave it to the rest of the party to investigate the Singing Stones further.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shamis Aeryn
13/13 HP, 16-18 AC

"Another kobold job, sure. Say, while you're in here you mind doing us a big favor?" She pitches to Gurmadden Stonesinger her idea of being their herald/secretary/quest aggregator while they're out in the field. Failing that, she asks if he knows anyone else'd be up for that kinda thing.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Gurmadden Stonesinger looks happy as you say you will do this for him, and then thoughtful at your own question.

"Hmm sure I can ask the rest of us if they have any tasks or anything they want you to do. Can you tell me who you have already talked to so I don't bother them?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shamis Aeryn
13/13 HP, 16-18 AC

Shamis gives him the skinny on all the svirfneblin and pech that have already received elfpromises.

• Locked thread