Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Algraetha of Thundertree

"Great. Let's go find that rapscallion everyone." Algraetha throws back her tea then starts heading down the path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Alton Brushgather

"I agree. I'm ready to get some pay back. Thanks for your help, friend." He says to the goblin, smiling. "means a lot, buddy."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Algraetha of Thundertree

Algraetha doubles back, murmuring "Thanks." Drawing her sword, she neatly beheads the goblin, and then sheathes her sword and begins walking on again.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Roddy McGristle

"Oh my stars and garters," the dwarf exclaims. He is careful to catch the teacup as it falls, however. "Was that really necessary? He seemed an OK enough chap."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Algraetha of Thundertree

"If you don't kill it now, it'll just live to burn another field and drive another family hungry."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Quillanthe Meliamne

Quillanthe elegizes in Elvish,

"Eyes full of hope, the dwarf makes tea
a new friend has come to visit.
"Finally, someone to talk to," he thinks.
Blast, he is late for a meeting.
"

Think only Algra understands it.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Dorm Ironwood

Phoneposting because my computer farted for the last time

"Right you are. Could have assembled a court for him, I suppose, but since that would have been us anyway, end result would have remained the same."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
The goblin's head flies through the air, landing on the ground with a thump as Roddy rushes forward to grab the teacup. The goblin's face doesn't look surprised so much as he looked resigned, but he's in a better place now.

Specifically, his soul now dwells in the halls of Maglubiyet, the goblin god. Which are in the Nine Hells. But one of the nicer subdivisions, as far as hell goes.

The group carefully ties up the horses and the wagon in a small meadow to the side of the road, near the entrance to the path the goblin had pointed out before being beheaded. It heads through the dense brush but is fairly well trampled, although some of the overhanging branches require people taller than a goblin (or a halfling) to duck underneath. A few minutes after you start hiking through the woods and Dorm pulls up short, just before stepping into a well-laid snare.

The game calls for a marching order; after talking with the people in IRC, I settled on Dorm, Roddy, Alton, Quillanthe and Algraetha. The way traps work in this game is interesting; if your passive perception is high enough, and you know to be searching for them, you'll automatically spot them if the DC of the trap is low enough. In this case you didn't get that information out of the goblin before killing him, so there's no automatic pass on the DC12 check, but I rolled 1d20+3 = 22 for Dorm for an easy pass.

Sidling around it and continuing onwards, now more alert for the possibility of sinister goblin treachery, the group continues onwards towards the goblin's hideout. After another few minutes of walking, a suspiciously dense underbrush across the path alerts Dorm to the possibility of another trap. Gentle prodding with a stick reveals a pit trap, about five feet wide and ten feet deep, covered with a net that will give under weight. The group manages to find a small, hidden side path through the dense underbrush that leads around the pit trap before continuing onwards.

In this case, the requirement for spotting the trap passively is DC15, which exceeds anyone's passive perception. I roll for Dorm again and get a 1d20+3 = 22, again, because the dice are pleased with you and wish to grant you their blessing.

The trail through the underbrush opens up into a small meadow with a shallow stream running through it, separating the mostly clear meadow from the screen of dense underbrush on the other side. The stream flows out of a large cave opening, about ten feet wide, and you can see a narrow dry path on the far side of the stream that winds its way into the cave.

You're presently on the west side of the stream. Each square represents a 10' by 10' area, approximately. More of the map will be revealed as you continue to explore. For passing the traps and locating the Cragmaw Hideout, each player gains 25 XP, putting you at a total of 75 XP.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

Pointing to the stream, Roddy grunts. "The goblins likely make their lair further back in the cave. The blighters typically foul what water they draw near, and this stream seems fresh enough. Be on your guard," he finishes. Hefting the heavy hammer, he utters a short prayer and the end begins to glow.

Casting light

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Alton Brushgather

He was not entirely shocked by the beheading of the Goblin. He might have preferred something else, but all things considered it was not necessarily surprising, but it probably means real bad things for his future self if he isn't careful. He rather likes his head all things considered. But as they press on, he makes sure to stick to the middle of the pack. Very safe there, in the pocket.

Without much to say to the Dwarf other then a nod, he pulls out his bow to be prepared.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
The group edges forward cautiously, crossing the stream at its shallowest point. An errant footstep kicks up a splash of water, though, and after a few moments and some distant cursing two goblin heads poke out from the dense bramble on the other side of the river. One of the goblins makes a quick shot with his bow which goes spinning into the river, a clear miss, before diving for cover inside the bramble. The other stands there, staring in dull amazement at the intruders. You're under attack!

The goblins were theoretically on guard duty, but because no one escaped the first encounter to warn them, they were slacking off and being lazy and didn't catch you by surprise, only noticing the party when they moved into the stream and started making more noise that way. One of the goblins rolled well on initiative and got off the first attack, which missed, but then managed to crit his Stealth roll as he dove for cover. Attacks made against the hiding goblin have Disadvantage.

G is the Goblins, P is the party. Welcome to the ~theater of your imagination~. The goblins are hiding in the dense thickets of bramble by the river; ranged attacks made through the bramble give the target +2 to AC or Dex to defend against them. Moving through the bramble takes twice the amount of movement it would otherwise, but doesn't present any additional obstacles to motion. The stream is shallow enough that you can move through it normally. This only matters insofar as this; you can reach the goblins in one move action, but won't be able to flank behind them.

initiative count - name - hp; ac defence; special conditions
22 - Goblin (Archer) - HP: 4/4 - AC 15 - Hiding
16 - Algrae - HP: 12/12 - AC 14
16 - Alton - HP: 9/9 - AC 14
15 - Dorm - HP: 10/12 - AC 17
14 - Goblin (Archer) - HP: 7/7 - AC 15
10 - Roddy - HP: 4/11 - AC 18
2 - Quillanthe - HP: 8/8 - AC 12

Hiding creatures have Advantage on the first attack they make, and Disadvantage on all attacks made against them.

Algrae, Alton and Dorm are up!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

"We are under attack," Roddy cries out in his cultured voice if any one has not noticed yet. "Stay strong, fellow gentle creatures! We will get through this together!"

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Dorm Ironwood

Guess who has two thumbs and didn't get replacement pc inntime \o/

"Bah, guards as incompetant as their traps! I knew I should have made that halfpint ambusher my valet, he at least had proper thirst for blood to make up for his lack of spine and brain.

Show them some proper fighting! CHAAARGE!"

With party now properly motivated, Dorm bradishes his axe in the air while heedlessly rushing towards the goblins.

If the iniative order matters, I'll attack whichever Goblin remains alive or bush if they are both filled with arrows. If we three count as same iniative, I'll attack the stunned goblin because Dorm disapproves it's lack of warface. Real sorry about this, I'm hopeful I'll get new pc going tomorrow.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Alton Brushgather

His bow is in his hands with a screech. It's some combination of mortal terror and honed instincts that make him raise his short bow and take a potshot at the non-hiding goblin, as he lets out a screech. "Not only are we under attack! We're being shot at!"

I shall shoot at the goblin that is not hiding. Krysmbot Flare, 6+5 = 11 and miss

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Algraetha of Thundertree

Algra cries: "I'll pin them down!" She shoots at the visible archer, her arrow bouncing off its armour.

<Arivia> !roll 1d20+7
<Krysmbot> Arivia, 7+7 = 14

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Dorm's axe sings as it flies through the air, connecting with the surprised goblin's head and sending it flying through the air. His body slumps to the ground, blood flowing, as his more intelligent - or cowardly - companion makes a startled sound from the underbrush.

Rolling for Dorm, got a 14+5 = 19 to hit and 4+3 = 7 for damage, which one-shots the stunned goblin.

22 - Goblin (Archer) - HP: 4/4 - AC 15 - Hiding
15 - Dorm - HP: 10/12 - AC 17

Hiding creatures have Advantage on the first attack they make, and Disadvantage on all attacks made against them. Targets in the brambles (including the goblin) have a +2 defense against ranged attacks as well.

Roddy and Quillanthe are up!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Quillanthe Meliamne

The wizard shoots some covering fire as well, then hits the dirt behind Algra.

(5:01:09 PM) slydingdoor: !r 1d20+5#2 (5:01:10 PM) Krysmbot: slydingdoor, 5+5 = 10, 12+5 = 17
Missed w/ Ray of Frost, going prone behind soft cover.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

Crunching through the dirt, Roddy charges a goblin! Alas, the fellow has more enthusiasm than skill. He deftly misses, because he kind of blows at hitting things.

[20:12] <+Morphball> WinsonPaine: 6 = 1d20(2)+4

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
The last goblin breaks from cover as attacks land all around him, firing a quick shot that takes the distracted Dorm in the side before breaking for the cave entrance, hollering up a storm. He's out of breath enough that it's unlikely anyone else can hear, but if he makes it inside then they probably will - stop him!

The goblin attacks Dorm with advantage, rolling a 22 and a 18, which hits for 5 damage. He then takes off running for the cave entrance, using Disengage as a bonus action to avoid provoking from anyone he runs by. Everyone is in range to reach him with one move action, still.

22 - Goblin (Archer) - HP: 4/4 - AC 15
15 - Dorm - HP: 5/12 - AC 17

Incidentally; Winson, I had Roddy at 4/11 HP after the last fight - did you want to spend a Healing Dice during the last short rest? If you did, just roll it and note it, and I'll bump your HP accordingly.

Everyone is up!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Algraetha of Thundertree

"Get them!" Algra takes another wild shot at the goblin, her arrow plinking off a rock close to - but not really near - the goblin. Like a foot away. Ish.

<Arivia> !roll 1d20+7
<Krysmbot> Arivia, 4+7 = 11

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Quillanthe Meliamne

"Got 'em"

Standing up and tossing the goblin a cold one. (12:56:23 PM) slydingdoor: !r 1d20+5 (12:56:23 PM) Krysmbot: slydingdoor, 10+5 = 15 (12:56:35 PM) slydingdoor: !r 1d8 (12:56:36 PM) Krysmbot: slydingdoor, 5 = 5

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
The goblin catches an icy ray in the back, falling dead to the ground as it freezes his heart. The meadow and stream are suddenly quiet as everyone takes a moment to catch their breath, the danger passed. No goblin horde or startled cry emerges from the mouth of the cave; you're safe, for the moment.

The second fight is complete, and everyone earns another 25 XP. You're now at 100 XP, 200 to go until level 2. If anyone wants to do any post-fight healing, let me know; if you're taking a Short Rest as well, note it, but for the moment I'm assuming not as it takes a literal hour of rest. Roddy can still spend his hit die retroactively for the previous fight, and Dorm has Second Wind.

After catching your breath, the group scouts ahead to the cave entrance. The interior of the cave angles sharply upwards into the hill, and even with the light cast by Roddy's spell you can only see a short distance inside. The stream continues upwards, deeper into the cave, towards a bend where it disappears around a corner. A path leads off the stream, perpendicular to it, leading to somewhere deeper inside. And from your right there's a small climb, concealing the details of a cave immediately adjacent to the entrance. The sound of running water bouncing off the cave muffles most sound, but you can hear faint, animal sounds, barking and nipping, coming from the cave to your right.

The party retreats momentarily outside the cave, ready to plan their next move. Where will you go as you search for your friend and mentor, Gundren Rockseer?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

Pointing to the right, "Barking and nipping. Mayhap they keep hounds? Hounds for hunting. Hounds for hunting the likes of us." He considers. "Or perhaps for food. Either way, we ought to check it out."

SHORT REST HP -
[12:30] <%WinsonPaine> .roll 1d8+2
[12:30] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 5 (1d8+2=3)

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

Dorm Ironwood

"Another bloody hole in my shirt. Do these bastards think silk grows in trees?"

Muttering unaudibly to himself, Dorm tries to clean his shirt with a cloth before giving up and using it to binds his wounds a bit.

< Puistokemisti> !roll 1d10+1 second wind
< Krysmbot> Puistokemisti, 3+1 = 4

"The gutless scumsucker obiviously tried to call his friends to wipe his arse, so eyes open everyone. Search for a cell or possibly a larder, depending on how badly their hunts have gone. Considering the quality of traps we saw on the way in, I would guess that they have gone very badly."

"We should move quick, before they realize that their sentries are currently even more worthless than usual."

Moving at the front of the group, Dorm edges towards the first tunnel entrance and peeks inside.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Algraetha of Thundertree

"Agreed. Let us check out the caves first - we don't want to get caught from behind, and every trace of the infestation must be purged." Algraetha heads into the first cave, heedless of Dorm's caution.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Quillanthe Meliamne

The elf rushes to follow and keep the formation. Wherever everyone goes, she doesn't want to be left exposed even for a moment.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

Hammer at the ready, underground, this was how it was meant to be. This was the ideal. Perfect. Roddy enjoys a moment of sublime peace, considering things.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
The group advances cautiously towards the first cave, where a few uneven stone steps lead up to a small, dank chamber on the east side of the passage. The cave narrows to a steep fissure at the far end, and is filled with the stench of animals. Savage snarls and the sounds of rattling chains greet your ears where three wolves are chained up just inside the opening. Each wolf's chain leads to an iron rod, driven into the base of a stalagmite. The wolves stand up as they smell and hear the party coming, growling in a low, long rumble, but they're chained up far enough away that they can't reach up the short ledge to the rest of the group while still chained.

What will you do?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

"Not to put to fine a point on things, my brave fellows," Roddy says quietly. "Those vermin are chained up, and we have ranged weapons. I have an idea."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Algraetha of Thundertree

"Hold. They may well be feral or natural, captives and not servants of the goblins." Algra approaches the edge of the wolves' range, seeing if they try to attack.

Handle Animal: a 4. Bye Algra's arm.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 8, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Quillanthe Meliamne

Quillanthe casts a prestidigitation to make Algra smell like calming lavender. Maybe that works on canines.

--Well, more specifically her extended glove now tastes like lavender but the effect, if any, should be the same.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
The wolves growl as Algrae approaches, hackles raised and crouching down to leap. Her attempts to soothe them are spectacularly unsuccessful, and all three leap in unison before being caught by the chain and and stopping in midair. In the startled confusion, one of them manages to snag the end of Algrae's now lavender-tasting glove, ripping it off her hand and growling as it chewed on it, slobbery doggy drool dripping out of its mouth.

Algrae's natural one on Animal Handling means that the wolves reacted somewhat poorly to the attempt. They tried to break the chain but failed, rolling only a 4+1 on their Strength check to loosen it.

What now?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

Having tied a rope to the end of one of his hand axes, Roddy is good to go. Throw, return, throw. "Vermin, alas. No redeeming in them at all. A pity, really."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Alton Brushgather

"Uh." he coughs. "Wow. Uh. Well. Okay then." he isn't really sure what to do about the Dwarf straight murdering the dogs. But he supposes it's his call. He's still worried about what it means about him if he isn't careful, but at least for now everything's okay.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

Sensing the grouchyness, Roddy keeps getting ready. "Would you leave them here to starve? Loose them on to a world where they will snatch children from mothers? If you have hate in your heart for this chore, save it for the goblins who defiled these animals. We do them a kindness now."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
The wolf chewing on Algrae's glove settles down with it, gnawing on it furiously, before settling down. After a few more moments, its tail starts to wag, and the other two wolves turn to sit by the lead wolf. Something about the taste, or possibly the smell, of the glove is calming them, evidenced by the furious wagging of their tails. It seems like they'll let you pass now, although it might be wise for someone to conjure up another lavender-tasting chew toy for the other two. You're not getting that glove back, though.

So, after a bit of back and forth with slydingdoor and checking the rulebook a bit, the way it works is this; you can give your friends assistance on a roll, which means that they roll it with advantage, and that's what slydingdoor's post was trying to accomplish. Arivia got to roll again, and this time skated by with a 16 total, which beats the DC 15 to calm the wolves down. (It would have been DC 10 if you'd given them food first; if that would have made a difference, I would have nudged the party in that direction)

Without the barking wolves in the way, you can see more clearly into the room. There's a narrow, steep opening in the east wall, a natural chimney in the rock that leads upwards. Scattered along the base of the natural chimney is a heap of rubble, well-gnawed bones and general detritus. As you watch, a mostly-eaten apple comes tumbling down the chimney before landing on the ground below. One of the wolves looks up with interest, then settles back down. It seems like there might be a way up the rocks, but it'd be a tough climb; on the other hand, whatever is up above is probably not expecting anyone to climb up the garbage chute. What do you do?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

A huge grin spreads across the dwarfs face as he is proven wrong. "Well I'll be," he says smiling. He takes rations from his pack and leaves them for the animals as they pass. He looks up to the chute. With a whisper, "Can any of ye get up there? I might with a bit of help and a rope, likely."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Quillanthe Meliamne

"I'll mak--er, buy you a new pair."

The elf casts a Mage Hand and pulls out a mirror from her compact, then floats it up the shaft to scout. She also inspects the apple core for teeth marks that might tell her what was chewing on it.

Investigation: 1d20+5 18

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

"Another trick I remember for such a place," Roddy says thinking, "sneaking in through the garbage is one thing, sure, but a bit of smoke up the chimney as it were. We'd get some right bastard fires sometimes when one of the raw recruits would empty their pipe in the wrong spot. Like as not they'd send someone down to investigate, we could do for em proper then. Ambush, like."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Algraetha of Thundertree

"That's a grand idea, but it might make the dogs a bit annoyed. Do we want to be attacked from both ends? What can you see up there, Quill?"

• Locked thread