Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Alton Brushgather

"I ain't afraid to climb up there if I have to. I've done it all the time when I've forgotten my keys to the door, you get up in the ally, put your feet on one wall and your back on the other, then you just like walk, hop, walk, hop, all the way up the top. So easy, so simple like you wouldn't believe it at all." he lets out a slew of words once the dogs are calmed, observing the Wizard cast a spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
The compact floats up the long chimney, rising higher and higher until it's nearly at the top of the thirty-foot long shaft. It is, unfortunately, rather difficult to see much in the reflection of an object that far away, but you can make out some vague details; a room filled with boxes, probably crates, and some vague figures walking around. None of them seem to be coming near the chimney, as far as you can tell, but that's about all you can get from this far away.

Climbing the chimney, if you're so inclined, is a Strength (Athletics) check. It will take anyone climbing it two consecutive checks to climb it, with a base DC of 10; a result of 6-9 just means you don't go anywhere, but a 5 or less means you fall back down instead of climbing upwards. There should be some way to secure a rope once you've climbed up, though, and anyone who followed afterwards wouldn't need to make Athletics check to climb up after you.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Roddy McGristle

Thinking a moment, Roddy considers. "Maybe I ought to go up first," he says looking at the skinny halfling. "You wouldn't know it to look at me, but I am inexplicably good at climbing." Using his apparent skills, Roddy starts to scramble up. Then he slides down. Then he scrambles up. Then he slides down. "Musta greased it."

So it turns out I have +4 Athletics. Who knew?
[06:36] <%WinsonPaine> .roll 1d20+4
[06:36] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 5 (1d20+4=1)
[06:36] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 19 (1d20+4=15)
[06:36] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 5 (1d20+4=1)

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Dorm Ironwood

Getting over his distaste of dogs, Dorm follows the rest of the team in the room, trying to keep as far as possible from canines.

"Bah, I have climbed a thing or two during my youth, I'll show you how it's done."

After an explosive start, Dorm's climb peters out but he manages to pull himself up to the ledge. Taking a quick peek into room, he stifles a grunt and pulls himself into up and tries to spot something that he can tie Alton's rope to.

16:44 < Puistokemisti> .roll 1d20+5
16:44 <+skybot> Puistokemisti: 21 (1d20+5=16)
16:44 <+skybot> Puistokemisti: 7 (1d20+5=2)
16:44 <+skybot> Puistokemisti: 11 (1d20+5=6)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Algraetha of Thundertree

Algra cries up the shaft. "Don't get your robes of gold all dirty just for us." She grins at Alton. "I thought I'd have to do it!"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

Roddy looks at the shouty lady. "Shhh," he says. "We are sneaking. Sheesh." Then he climbs up the rope himself.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Alton Brushgather

"Well you gotta climb it anyway. Just, you know, with the rope. Well I guess that's easier though then." He says as he scrambles up it.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
There's a few heavy crates just inside the room when Dorm climbs to the top, complete with hooks. With a careful tie, and a few tugs to make sure the crates weren't going to slide back down, he secured the rope and let the rest of the party follow quietly upwards. You're on the western side of a large room, about twice as big as the one with the wolves, hiding behind some crates and a large boulder on the western side in a sheltered alcove. The room is packed with storage crates, looted goods, and bags of grain.

Carefully peeking around the corner, you can see a set of large stone steps leading to the north, which is the only other visible exit to the room. You can hear the sound of roaring water from beyond the steps - perhaps they lead back to the river? In the middle of the room is large smoldering fire. An enormous bugbear is seated by the fire with a wolf lazily lounging at his feet. Two goblins scurry back and forth, rearranging boxes on the far side of the room as the bugbear angrily directs them. He bellows, the sound of his voice surprisingly loud in the enclosed space. "Klarg is displeased with your positioning of Klarg's rightful spoils! Fix it, or Klarg will be very angry." One of the goblins jumps, almost dropping the crate he's carrying, but manages to fumble it back in time before placing it on top of another.

The group seems occupied, and it seems like you've successfully snuck into the headquarter's of the goblin's base. This might be your chance to launch a surprise attack!

And back on track.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 17, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Quillanthe Meliamne

The modest and easily embarrassed elf brings up the rear. She had been this close to disregarding her father's advice to leave the robes of power and authority at home and wear sensible pants. Now could think of another reason in favor of following it as she did. Vertical climbs.

With a look around the room they're to clear, she prepares to unleash sleep again whenever her allies are ready to jump on Klarg.

(8:54:21 AM) slydingdoor: !r 5d8
(8:54:22 AM) Krysmbot: slydingdoor, 20 = 20

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Algraetha of Thundertree

Algra notches an arrow to her bow, aiming at the wolf. She doesn't say anything, but the steel in her eyes indicates she's ready when the others decide to strike.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

Dropping into a three point stance, Roddy nods when he is ready to charge in and wreck up the place. That bugbear would be just the ticket.

Nominating Arivia as the designated ambusher with sleep, the rest of us can bat cleanup.

Init: [07:48] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 0 (1d20-1=1)
[07:49] <%WinsonPaine> balls

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
The group creeps forward, moving carefully to avoid making any noise as they advance into the cavern. The wolf curled around the base of Klarg's chair twitches his ears a few times, but stays calm and quiet, tongue lolling out lazily. Some faint whiff makes him sit up just as Quillanthe's quiet spell fires, dropping the two scurrying goblins into an instant sleep as they collapse to the floor. Klarg turns to the two, surprised, before he catches sight of the group out of the corner of his eye. He bellows and starts to rise, but he's moving slow - too slow - and you're already upon him!

The stealth rules are, somewhat annoyingly, rather unclear. What I ended up doing, and what is contrary to the book's stated method but in line with the examples they actually use, is average your stealth modifiers together and then roll that once against the passive perception of the enemies. You guys made it, barely peeking past the wolf's passive perception, and got a surprise round; none of the enemies will act this round. Quillanthe's spell went off and took out two of the goblins, sending them into dreamland; everyone but Quillanthe is up. You're about 30 feet from Klarg and his throne, with the wolf sitting at his feet.

initiative count - name - hp; ac defence; special conditions
22 - Klarg - HP: 29/29 - AC 16
20 - Wolf - HP: 14/14 - AC 13
19 - Quillanthe - HP: 8/8 - AC 12
18 - Algraetha - HP: 12/12 - AC 14
15 - Goblin - HP: 6/6 - AC 15 - Sleeping
10 - Dorm - HP: 9/12 - AC 17
5 - Goblin - HP: 9/9 - AC 15 - Sleeping
5 - Alton - HP: 9/9 - AC 14
0 - Roddy - HP: 9/11 - AC 18

RPZip fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 22, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Algraetha of Thundertree

Algra fires at the wolf and then steps behind cover. "Attack!" Her arrow strikes true, the wolf's blood spilling onto the floor.

09:15:55] <Arivia> !r 1d20+7
[09:15:56] <Krysmbot> Arivia, 17+7 = 24
[09:16:10] <Arivia> !r 1d8+3
[09:16:11] <Krysmbot> Arivia, 2+3 = 5

5 damage to the wolf!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Alton Brushgather

With a very strange, very unusual amount of precision for the laid back, talkative halfling, who had seemed, for most of this journey so far only good at talking and getting in trouble, Alton pulls back the string on his short bow and takes aim at the Bugbear. With a whisper of release, the arrow flies through the air, spiraling through the cave and sinking deep into the Bugbear's right shoulder with a solid, powerful thunk.

For a moment, he almost seems competent.

Flare !roll 1d20+5
Krysmbot Flare, 13+5 = 18
Flare !roll 1d20+5
Krysmbot Flare, 19+5 = 24
The hit triggers Sneak Attack, so I do an extra 1d6.
Flare !roll 2d6+3
Krysmbot Flare, 12+3 = 15 damage to the Bugbear

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Dorm Ironwood

"Hurmph, filthy beast, you will pay for ruining my shirt!"

Dorm charges in from behind the cover, stepping over the sleeping goblins and dodging the wolf conveniently distracted by Algraetha. As the bugbear flinches from arrow buried in it's shoulder, Dorm unleashes mighty blow against it's unguarded left side.

"Hah! Just rewards for the damage you have caused to my colors!"

attack
00:00 < Puistokemisti> !roll 1d20+5
00:00 < Krysmbot> Puistokemisti, 14+5 = 19
damage
00:01 < Puistokemisti> !roll 1d12+3
00:01 < Krysmbot> Puistokemisti, 8+3 = 11

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

"Arrrrgh," Roddy hollers. He charges the bugbear. Alas, he sucks and stuff. Sucking is nothing he wants to do, but here we all are anyway. The hammer swing goes wide. His ancestors weep for shame.

[09:38] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 12 (1d20+4=8)

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Klarg snarls as wounds rain on his body, finally clearing his chair and roaring his defiance. "KLARG WILL SMASH PUNY INTRUDERS! KLARG WILL MAKE THRONE FROM YOUR BONES!" Klarg's pet wolf advances, snarling, and lunges towards Dorm. The noble brushes the attacks off easily, his focus still on the enormous bugbear.

The wolf gets advantage on melee attacks as long as an ally is adjacent to its target, and if they hit they also force a strength check to avoid going prone. They have about 50% more HP than the goblins, although a lower AC, and do more damage to boot. They also are worth as much XP as the goblins, although they're much more murder machine-y. I think it's interesting. In this case, though, it doesn't help him; he rolls a 5 and a 4 to attack, which both miss.

Klarg bellows and brings his club down to smash against Roddy's head, sending the dwarf slumping to the floor with a bleeding wound. He laughs triumphantly, cackling. "KLARG WILL FEAST WELL TONIGHT ON YOUR FLESH! KLARGE WILL... KLARG WILL BE RIGHT BACK." The bugbear starts to make a break for it, heading for the next room and leaving Roddy behind, but Dorm's blade flashes out and catches him in the back as he turns. Klarg stumbles, twisting to slump down on the ground only a yard or two from where he laid out Roddy.

Bugbears are also murder machines. They do 2d8+2 damage on a hit, which has a pretty high chance of taking anyone from full HP to 0 in a single hit; in this case he rolled a 18 to attack and then did 14 damage, which laid out Roddy in a single blow. Somewhat more brutally, this module has lots of opportunities for Klarg to lay a trap for the PCs (if any goblin manages to escape from a previous encounter, primarily). If he got in a hit during a surprise round he does an extra 2d6 damage, which has a pretty good chance of outright killing one of the frontline PCs and would definitely kill one of the squishier PCs outright. Again, kind of interesting. For those playing along at home, I had Dorm roll an opportunity attack in IRC, which he'll include as part of his next post.

The wolf goes mad as Klarg falls, snarling and biting, standing over his fallen master. The two goblins continue sleeping, and your friend is bleeding out on the floor. What do you do?

initiative count - name - hp; ac defense; special conditions
20 - Wolf - HP: 9/14 - AC 13
19 - Quillanthe - HP: 8/8 - AC 12
18 - Algraetha - HP: 12/12 - AC 14
15 - Goblin - HP: 6/6 - AC 15 - Sleeping
10 - Dorm - HP: 9/12 - AC 17
5 - Goblin - HP: 9/9 - AC 15 - Sleeping
5 - Alton - HP: 9/9 - AC 14
0 - Roddy - HP: 0/11 - AC 18 - Dying

Dorm is up (opportunity attack!) and so is everyone else. Roddy needs to make a Death Saving Throw on his turn unless someone can heal him before then, which is just a straight d20 check; 10+ is a pass.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

Roddy slowly dies, all dignity lost. He had hosed up big time. It was time to pay the price.

21:13] <%WinsonPaine> .roll 1d20
[21:13] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 19 (1d20=19)

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

Dorm Ironwood

"Furry scum! Taste my steel!"

With mighty heave, Dorm cleaves the cowardly creature's back open but is taken back by wolf's sudden frenzy. Dorm stumbles a step backwards and the wolf easily evades his clumsy attempt to strike it.

Cursing silently at the sight of Roddy bleeding on ground, he rights himself and shakes his axe towards the wolf.

"Smell familiar? Come at me you furry mongrel!"

attack
00:33 < Krysmbot> Puistokemisti, 6+5 = 11

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Quillanthe Meliamne

Quillanthe waits to see whether her allies need her help taking down the wolf before helping Roddy. Hopefully they don't.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Alton Brushgather

Alton pulls back his bow once more, aiming at the wolf, but the momentary dash of competence is apparently gone. The arrow flies wide.

Flare !roll 1d20+5
Krysmbot Flare, 7+5 = 12

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

Roddy gurgles moistly.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Quillanthe Meliamne

Turns out they do. The fighters flank the wolf but can't put it down, so Quillanthe moves between it and Roddy and fires a ray of frost at its face. Even if it made a run for Roddy's exposed throat it'd have to get through three of them! Hopefully the dwarf can cling to life in the meantime.

(10:58:01 PM) RPZip: hey slydingdoor arivia is gonna be pretty inconsistent for a bit since she's on vacation, you should probably roll a thing. Anyone can go for her though, if nobody does in the near future I'll roll her thing for her
(10:59:00 PM) slydingdoor: roll for arivia?
(10:59:57 PM) RPZip: well, I meant you're waiting on her and she's probably MIA for a bit. I'm guessing the question was if you should sit on sleep 2 or just pop it depending on general party ineptitude?
(11:06:48 PM) slydingdoor: !r 1d20+4
(11:06:49 PM) Krysmbot: slydingdoor, 4+4 = 8
(11:07:02 PM) slydingdoor: algra misses a greatsword swing
(11:07:46 PM) RPZip: the great party of heroes vs. the wolf with 13 ac
(11:08:18 PM) slydingdoor: !r 1d20+5
(11:08:20 PM) Krysmbot: slydingdoor, 10+5 = 15
(11:08:28 PM) slydingdoor: quil shoots it with ice
(11:08:33 PM) slydingdoor: !r 1d8
(11:08:34 PM) Krysmbot: slydingdoor, 7 = 7
(11:08:36 PM) slydingdoor: for 7
(11:09:07 PM) RPZip: :toot:

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
The wolf takes Quillanthe's bolt of frost to its snout and whimpers, backing up and trying to scrabble at its now frost-covered face. It eyes the three adventurers standing tall above it and then whimpers again, rolling over onto its back and showing its belly in a gesture of surrender. It keeps pawing and scratching at its nose, trying to clear some of the frost, but otherwise it stays still save for a very gently wagging tail.

Domesticated wolves, sometimes called 'dogs' and not being idiots, can and will surrender. The fight is over! And Roddy is still dying. You can stabilize him with a DC10 Healing (wisdom) check, or automatically stabilize him with magical healing, which isn't something you have in your repertoire with the cleric currently bleeding out. Once he's stabilized, you should probably figure out something to do with your sleeping goblins and currently surrendering wolf, and there's all these crates nearby. There's also a notable lack of Gundren Rockseer. What do you do?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Alton Brushgather
Alton goes to check on Roddy Mid-Moist Gurgle.

"Hey dude are you alright? I mean you don't look alright but you're a dwarf and dwarfs are kind of like you know a knight except you aren't as tall but I mean there's a lot of short people in the world, you know like me. I mean my mom was always like 'You don't have to be tall to leave a big foot print' and I always assumed that was just her way of saying 'buy shoes a size too big so you grow into them' but I'm starting to think that it was just saying 'don't let your size hold you down'. get it, that's a pun."

This somehow helps Roddy.

Flare !roll 1d20
Krysmbot Flare, 16 = 16

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

Roddy gurgles less moistly. He thinks about recovering or something, but doesn't really know the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Roddy McGristle

Roddy, like the game itself, slowly dies.

• Locked thread