Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

jalopybrown posted:

Micheal Collins has spent 45 years wondering what could have been

Poor Michael Collins.

History's Ringo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Also, for the depressed people here, we could easily get back to the Moon if we wanted to. But.... Republicans. So we can't.

But that's a political reason, not a technological one. Also, besides "science", what is there for a man to accomplish on the Moon? I can't think of much that's practical

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mining what?

And low gravity construction for what?

Believe you me, I'd like to see mankind settle the solar system, but there ain't much happening on the moon.

Now, if you were to say those same things about asteroid mining, there's a future there. Because of $$$$$.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SirEvelynTremble posted:

Helium3, Isotope which can combust & be used as fuel. Loads of it under moon's crust. Worth trillions

Not really. It's not concentrated and would require massive resources to extract. It would be easier to get it from ocean water here on sweet, sweet Earth.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nomadologique posted:

water (plus heavy water), carbon, heavy metals -- good first stage production facility for getting to the asteroid mining, buddy (where ya think all those asteroid mining rigs will come from?)

From the asteroids themselves. Why set up an infrastructure on the moon in order to build an infrastructure in high Earth orbit? Makes no sense. Drag an asteroid into orbit, use that for everything you need.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

gently caress the moon.

We need to go to Calisto.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

To get sentimental for a bit, when I was a lad, men were landing on the moon a regular basis. This, a mere 15 years into human space exploration.

The default assumption was of course this pace of advancement would continue, and by the year 2000 humans would live all over the solar system.

But then came Nixon, and Reagan, and the Dark Times, and everyone's dreams of being an astronauts were buried, and instead we learned "Greed is Good".

Then came W. and the future is bleak, now, we eat ashes and drink poison and tell ourselves the good times are still here.....

But we all know the truth.

We're doomed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cucking Mama posted:

how old are you redshirt

Old enough to know you're just a young cuck and I begrudge you your insolent behavior.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nomadologique posted:

how the gently caress are you going to build an infrastructure capable of bringing asteroids into orbit? how are you going to do that without an intermediate infrastructure? do you think your piddling little shits made on earth will be capable of this work? you're gonna havta build poo poo in orbit or on the moon to take care of this heavy lifting, and it's gonna be easier to get material from the moon to do this than from the earth

Bringing asteroids into orbit is fairly simple. It's the mining/manufacturing that's hard.

You still have to get material from the Earth to the Moon. Why go that BIG extra step when you can just build in orbit?

Sure, it'd be primitive at first, but I assume the first space mining will be all about bringing that stuff back to earth. Once the Earth's economy has absorbed this, a new space age can begin and proper asteroid mining can begin - i.e. building infrastructure in space from the asteroid itself.

The moon is completely unneessary for this.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

you are pitifully loving retarded if youre honestly blaming our pitifully underfunded space program on "republicans" lol

How so? Nixon ended Apollo, and Regan's (and W's) deficits ensured we'll never have the money to try again.

Tell me how I'm wrong.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A misanthrope posted:

yeah didn't you read my post, redshirt? republicans wanna go to the moon because they can have slaves there

I don't think Newt was being serious. As his entire Presidential run was not serious, nor will it be when he tries again in 2016.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nomadologique posted:

the material required to go to the moon and set up mining there is not much compared to the material required to go out to an asteroid and bring it back to earth. the fuel alone is astronomical (ROFL). one thing the moon has is fuel. another thing the moon has is physical structural materials. a little bit of mining equipment makes a lot of bit of building material and fuel supply.

trust me on this one geezer if we both live to see it i'll bet you the moon is used as an intermediate base.

my plans have been laid for a long time. first the moon, then the asteroid belt, then the outer moons, then the galaxy.

What? Walk me through your logic, since from what I know the resources required to bring an asteroid into Earth orbit are reasonable (big rear end rocket, space craft, some kind of towing apparatus) and in fact this is currently in NASA's horizon, as opposed to a MOON BASE which would require tons of material and human habitations and multiple launches (dozens).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

lol you have some sort of idiotic belief than apparently if only the democrats held office then our space programmmm!!!

see, as you profess, the democrats are the party of enlightenment and if you vote for obama we will surely have a well funded NASA!

:ironicat:

Yes, it truly is that simple, and has nothing to do with the rabid anti-science party in Congress.

Keep believing your Republicans care about things like "The Moon", and "The Sun".

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

I don't really like the Dems all the much but I can agree that the Republicans are evil fuckers who defund poo poo like NASA so they can redirect the funds to their buddies and their buddies' companies all in the name of "CUTTING GOVERNMENT SPENDING." Also as a side effect they tank the economy.

gently caress Republicans

Go to Callisto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Neil Armstrong and wife lost a young daughter to a brain tumor, and Neil named a crater on the Moon after her, so, ironically, her name will live on hopefully forever, while her body only lasted 3 years.

• Locked thread