Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

vssrio23 posted:

In what way does winning a robotics competition (with an MIT team as a contestant for dramatic effect) have anything to do with achieving financial success?

quote:

A decade after the competition, MIT professors invited the winners to Cambridge, Massachusetts for a reunion with the MIT team they beat. Not surprisingly, the losers were now winning engineers; one of the MIT graduates had gone on to invent ear buds for Apple.

The undocumented winners haven’t done so well. Christian, who had finished second in his high school class, was forced to drop out of community college in 2006 under the harsh terms of Arizona’s Proposition 300, which denies state aid to undocumented students. Lorenzo went to culinary school and started a small catering company, where Luis, a janitorial supervisor, helps out. Oscar, hoping to join the Army and become legal, turned himself in to the authorities, who deported him to Mexico.

Because it shows that undocumented students are forced into poverty. Having watched the movie, the Hayden team were a bunch of awkward nerds who in any other situation would have been able to go to college.

The only thing keeping them from "achieving financial success" was not having citizenships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

on the left posted:

I don't know why you'd want to encourage that kind of job creation in the US.

I don't, I want to encourage safe and free access for all workers.

My point is that you're literally parroting GOP nativist rhetoric and assuming they're all just lazy mexicans and are stealing our welfare.

vssrio23
Oct 2, 2011

Cercadelmar posted:

Because it shows that undocumented students are forced into poverty. Having watched the movie, the Hayden team were a bunch of awkward nerds who in any other situation would have been able to go to college.

The only thing keeping them from "achieving financial success" was not having citizenships.

Your first point that undocumented workers are forced into poverty is correct. Your second point that they would have, if documented, went to college is a not only a non-sequitur argument but is also a strawman to draw attention away from the original claim.

Your final point is, again, a non-sequitur argument. It is not established that they would have been successful on par with the MIT students even if they were citizens. Winning a robotics competition is in no way a guarantee that one can find a profitable career after his formal education. To make the logical leap you have made is factually absurd.

vssrio23 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 26, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

vssrio23 posted:

Your first point that undocumented workers are forced into poverty is correct. Your second point that they would have, if documented, went to college is a not only a non-sequitur argument but is also a strawman to draw attention away from the original claim.

Your final point is, again, a non-sequitur argument. It is not established that they would have been successful on par with the MIT students even if they were citizens. Winning a robotics competition is in no way a guarantee that one can find a profitable career after his formal education. To make the logical leap you have made is factually absurd.

It's not that absurd. Sorry.

vssrio23
Oct 2, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

It's not that absurd. Sorry.

What is the connection between winning a robotics competitition and achieving financial success?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

vssrio23 posted:

What is the connection between winning a robotics competitition and achieving financial success?

Evidently the correlation between losing one is pretty high.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

vssrio23 posted:

Well, considering that one of the guys enrolled in community college and then got kicked out...

quote:

No one said they would have become as successful as MIT students. That's your dumb strawman. The point is that they were not even given the chance to try.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

vssrio23 posted:

quote:

Christian, who had finished second in his high school class, was forced to drop out of community college in 2006 under the harsh terms of Arizona’s Proposition 300, which denies state aid to undocumented students." I think its safe to assume that most of them could have gone to college.

quote:

Anjelica Hernandez, a female member of the 2004 robotics team who is featured in the film but didn’t travel with the boys to Santa Barbara, is taking up the challenge. When I met her, she had just received a master’s in science from Stanford but devotes much of her time to highlighting the injustices committed against tens of thousands of young “Dreamers” who came as children and-- even with President Obama’s 2012 directive--are still having trouble getting legal.

quote:

Oscar was allowed to come back to the United States and join the Army, where he served with distinction in Afghanistan. At present, he’s the only one working in a STEM-related business.

Somehow I assume they would have done better if they were citizens. I'm confused as to what you think the cause of undocumented students being forced into poverty is.

vssrio23
Oct 2, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Well, considering that one of the guys enrolled in community college and then got kicked out...

No one said they would have become as successful as MIT students. That's your dumb strawman. The point is that they were not even given the chance to try.

That is correct. He was removed because he had no legal right to enroll. It is also likely a fact that he submitted falsed information to the school. College entry forms clearly require you to truthfully submit the status of your immigration status upon request for admission.

You are also correct. No one did explicitly say that they should be as successful as the MIT students in writing. However, why were the MIT students used as a figure of merit for comparison? Is it not implicit in this article's reasoning, and indeed this documentary's, that these kids could have been as successful as the MIT students if, as you say, they were given a "chance"?

For your claim that that they were not given a chance, that is also correct. They lack the requisite legal status to actively participate in the formal American economy.

My point is that it is absurd to conjecture that by merely winning a robotics competition a student has an equal chance to acheive any type of financial success than runner-up student.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

vssrio23 posted:

That is correct. He was removed because he had no legal right to enroll. It is also likely a fact that he submitted falsed information to the school. College entry forms clearly require you to truthfully submit the status of your immigration status upon request for admission.

It said he dropped out because Arizona passed a law that restricted aid from undocumented immigrants.

quote:

You are also correct. No one did explicitly say that they should be as successful as the MIT students in writing. However, why were the MIT students used as a figure of merit for comparison? Is it not implicit in this article's reasoning, and indeed this documentary's, that these kids could have been as successful as the MIT students if, as you say, they were given a "chance"?

Generally people from MIT are considered, you know, smart and successful.

quote:

My point is that it is absurd to conjecture that by merely winning a robotics competition a student has an equal chance to acheive any type of financial success than runner-up student.
Hmm, it's almost as though the article is stating that the system that makes them unequal is inherently flawed!

vssrio23
Oct 2, 2011

Cercadelmar posted:

Somehow I assume they would have done better if they were citizens. I'm confused as to what you think the cause of undocumented students being forced into poverty is.

One should not assume such things that they do not intricately understand.

I do not myself believe I am confused by the question of why illegal immigrants and residents have depressed earnings in the formal economy.

What I am confused about is why a winning a robotics competition is sign that a student will be successful in the adult world.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

vssrio23 posted:

I do not myself believe I am confused by the question of why illegal immigrants and residents have depressed earnings in the formal economy.

What I am confused about is why a winning a robotics competition is sign that a student will be successful in the adult world.

Generally people who are smart enough to beat MIT students at a competition that requires skills in engineering, math and robotics have the ability and requisite skills to be successful in the adult world. What is so controversial about this statement? You're being incredibly obtuse.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

vssrio23 posted:

However, why were the MIT students used as a figure of merit for comparison? Is it not implicit in this article's reasoning, and indeed this documentary's, that these kids could have been as successful as the MIT students if, as you say, they were given a "chance"?

The point the documentary makes is, look, these guys are smart enough and skilled enough to beat a group of people from one of the nation's top universities in an advanced technical competition when they had neither the same level of education nor the same level of resources to realistically be able to do so. By not giving them and those like them the right to become a part of American society, the US is losing out on a lot.

As for the conjecture itself, it's definitely not absurd if you understand how admissions departments work. If these guys were legal residents, they would be able to leverage their victory in the competition to have a very good chance of being admitted to a top university, possibly even with scholarship.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

vssrio23 posted:

Your argument is just strange. Like, yeah winning a robotics competition doesn't mean they'll be successful MIT super engineers. What it does mean is that they're good enough at robotics, engineering, and writing to be able to win in a college robotics competition as high school students. It's not a huge leap to assume they would do well with more education.

Unrelated, but man do you have a weird style to your posts. Use a contraction please, reading them makes me type like you and it just feels off.

vssrio23
Oct 2, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

The point the documentary makes is, look, these guys are smart enough and skilled enough to beat a group of people from one of the nation's top universities in an advanced technical competition when they had neither the same level of education nor the same level of resources to realistically be able to do so. By not giving them and those like them the right to become a part of American society, the US is losing out on a lot.

As for the conjecture itself, it's definitely not absurd if you understand how admissions departments work. If these guys were legal residents, they would be able to leverage their victory in the competition to have a very good chance of being admitted to a top university, possibly even with scholarship.

What is the percentage is this "very good chance"? More importantly, after going to this "top university", how do you know each one of these students will be able to mimic their success at the competition during 4 years of advanced-level courses?

Do you know know their grades, attendance, discplinary record, or any of their other qualifications? Is the only thing that gives you faith in them a politicized robotics competition?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

vssrio23 posted:

What is the percentage is this "very good chance"? More importantly, after going to this "top university", how do you know each one of these students will be able to mimic their success at the competition during 4 years of advanced-level courses?

Do you know know their grades, attendance, discplinary record, or any of their other qualifications? Is the only thing that gives you faith in them a politicized robotics competition?

Hahaha what is this? Either they're perfect students so being illegal immigrants doesn't matter or they're hooligans and so we shouldn't change the law.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Please, unless their advisors did literally all of the work they had to learn something about mechanical design; electrical design, machining, soldering and programming between them. These skills alone are enough to get a decent engineering tech job.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

vssrio23 posted:

You didn't see the movie. The contest was way back in '04 and not very politicized. They won because their robot genuinely did well in the water and they understood how their robot did well enough to write and do presentations about it to the judges.

I don't understand why you're being such a pedant about something you didn't even see.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

vssrio23 posted:

Are you the creation from a different years robotics competitions, jesus loving christ?

vssrio23
Oct 2, 2011

Cercadelmar posted:

Your argument is just strange. Like, yeah winning a robotics competition doesn't mean they'll be successful MIT super engineers. What it does mean is that they're good enough at robotics, engineering, and writing to be able to win in a college robotics competition as high school students. It's not a huge leap to assume they would do well with more education.

Unrelated, but man do you have a weird style to your posts. Use a contraction please, reading them makes me type like you and it just feels off.

That is correct, they did win the competition. What is unestablished is whether they have the character and aptitude for sustained performance to achieve financial successful after the competition. Winning a competition such as that is not a measure of one's future potential so much as it is a result of what one has already done. Your claim effectively assumes that the past result (the competition) is an indicator of future performance from the students.

At its heart, this is a fallacious argument.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vssrio23 posted:

That is correct, they did win the competition. What is unestablished is whether they have the character and aptitude for sustained performance to achieve financial successful after the competition. Winning a competition such as that is not a measure of one's future potential so much as it is a result of what one has already done. Your claim effectively assumes that the past result (the competition) is an indicator of future performance from the students.

vssrio23, you're no fishmech.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Just as spergy as fishmech, but with the most unpleasing way of typing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

vssrio23 posted:

What is the percentage is this "very good chance"?

68.77%

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

420.1488%

I think vssrio23 just read an "Arguments for Dummies" book or something because this is the weirdest posting I have ever seen.

edit: he's a BFC poster, this explains everything

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 26, 2014

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Amused to Death posted:

Just as spergy as fishmech, but with the most unpleasing way of typing.

Nah, someone who actually had Asperger's would be more likely to sympathize with the students simply on grounds of "they could have had excellent careers that involved minimal human interaction and/or emotional processing".

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

vssrio23 posted:

Your claim effectively assumes that the past result (the competition) is an indicator of future performance from the students.

It's false in the stock market, sure. But how much individuals can/will achieve is actually pretty well predicted by how much they already have. Relative to their circumstances of course. People != Tesla stock, bro.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

vssrio23 posted:

Past results are absolutely a predictor or indicator of future results, or there would be no point in modeling the stock market. The phrase you are thinking is "guarantees future results".

Hell there would be no point in admission standards at all- picking randomly from high schools would be just as effective as any other method if there were no correlations.

tsa fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 28, 2014

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

vssrio23 posted:

I hope the young illegal immigrants that programmed this chatbot get citizenship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Maddow reporting (see also HuffPo) that Obama is returning from his vacation early to pursue unilateral executive action on immigration reform for DREAMers.

• Locked thread