Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
See, its funny. I can tell that most of the people in this thread are all not descendants of immigrants (as in, my old man received their naturalization through military service).

All this 'amnesty" garbage would effectively be a "gently caress you" to all of us who have to wait in lines, pay money, have relatives who can make sure we can afford keeping a green card person not in poverty, for people who work illegally and destroy wage structures and jobs that African Americans (I use that to separate them from say myself, a 'second/third depending on which side of the family you ask,) [Although through would work in.

Also, why do you not support drug legalization, which would help improve Mexico and other South American countries.

I'm sorry if I'm contrarian, but when you have filled out hundreds of immigration papers, visa requests, signed forms, and gone to naturalization ceremonies, you would understand that people who have worked hard, and not had the luck to simply cross a border (luck meaning they COULD, rather than it was easy, immigrating across the desert, dealing with rapists, drug lords and violence is not luck() (and I know about open borders, my homeland has an issue with genuine terrorists invading and bombing schoolhouses), is not .. fair.

But I have a unique perspective, since we managed to immigrate here, after losing a civil war (Biafra), and we managed to get to the middle class without stealing social security numbers or working under the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

So Pope Guilty, what you are saying is, if I have this right, it is OK to commit crime, and then be forgiven for it because you had a hard experience? If so, it was perfectly fine for the police to violate people's rights to privacy, they were being forced by their command to do so. I mean, I want to know if you think that it is ok to commit crime, regardless of exceptional skill, because by that logic I should start smuggling people from my homeland in freighter since they are engineers and doctors, and America needs more STEM workers!

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

So Destroying children's credit is being a "good neighbor? and just living? I mean, I don't know about you guys but my credit IS how I earn my money, and if someone was to steal my SSN to try and make a better life for themselves, but they destroyed mine, that sure isn't ethical.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Visa lotto? As in the DV lottery lottery?

The lines are simply the lines to receive one's Visa.

You also never addressed my point about stealing SSNs, which IS a criminal offense, and the fact that while being here illegally is a civil crime, ENTERING the nation illegally IS. And as long as employers have access to the labor supply willing to work below market wages, the market will allow it. It would be like asking union workers to tolerate 'scabs' because they are 'simply willing to work underneath union wages,the union should just deal with it, they are just hardworking folks trying to get buy.

US Criminal code posted:

"Improper entry by an alien" as it is called, is a violation of Title 8 of the U.S. criminal code punishable by a fine of between $50 and $250 and/or a maximum of six months in jail.

The luck point is pretty amusing, since our village had been planning the US immigration effort since the 1950s when we were still a colony of the British, but please, tell me how years of planning, studying, and research is 'luck'.

• Locked thread