Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Ryand-Smith posted:

See, its funny. I can tell that most of the people in this thread are all not descendants of immigrants (as in, my old man received their naturalization through military service).

All this 'amnesty" garbage would effectively be a "gently caress you" to all of us who have to wait in lines, pay money, have relatives who can make sure we can afford keeping a green card person not in poverty, for people who work illegally and destroy wage structures and jobs that African Americans (I use that to separate them from say myself, a 'second/third depending on which side of the family you ask,) [Although through would work in.

Also, why do you not support drug legalization, which would help improve Mexico and other South American countries.

I'm sorry if I'm contrarian, but when you have filled out hundreds of immigration papers, visa requests, signed forms, and gone to naturalization ceremonies, you would understand that people who have worked hard, and not had the luck to simply cross a border (luck meaning they COULD, rather than it was easy, immigrating across the desert, dealing with rapists, drug lords and violence is not luck() (and I know about open borders, my homeland has an issue with genuine terrorists invading and bombing schoolhouses), is not .. fair.

But I have a unique perspective, since we managed to immigrate here, after losing a civil war (Biafra), and we managed to get to the middle class without stealing social security numbers or working under the table.

gently caress You, Got Mine. I grew up poor as poo poo and my overwhelming desire is to not have anyone have to go through the poo poo I did, not sure how immigration is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

vssrio23 posted:

One should not assume such things that they do not intricately understand.

I do not myself believe I am confused by the question of why illegal immigrants and residents have depressed earnings in the formal economy.

What I am confused about is why a winning a robotics competition is sign that a student will be successful in the adult world.

Generally people who are smart enough to beat MIT students at a competition that requires skills in engineering, math and robotics have the ability and requisite skills to be successful in the adult world. What is so controversial about this statement? You're being incredibly obtuse.

• Locked thread