Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

An American friend of mine emigrated to Australia. He got his residency in two years, and full citizenship two years after that. This is in contrast to America, where the welfare system is utter poo poo and it takes anywhere from 10-20 years to become a citizen.

Spain gives residency to anyone who buys a house there.

I could go on.

A lot of immigration systems are biased to the wealthy (Spain as you mentioned, Canada is also similar), which is fundamentally different from the usual issues that plague the US regarding immigration.

A reform to the H1B system though or something like the article mentioned would probably be in line with that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

You are kidding right? America has a visa category specifically for rich foreigners. It's called the "emigrant investor" visa.

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-fifth-preference-eb-5/eb-5-immigrant-investor

Yeah, but it's not as permissive as "buy a house, get permanant residency". The point in any case was that most of the US's immigration problems would remain unsolved if you only focused on rich immigration.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Powercrazy posted:

We don't really need any more Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerburgs, nor do we need another Jeff Bezos, or Larry Ellison anymore then we need another family of Waltons or Kennedy's. The "Great Man" fairy tale is honestly a pretty destructive outlook that contributes a lot to American Exceptionalism, and the Just World that makes people think poor people are just lazy.

Going too far in the other direction can be harmful though, eg "Our culture (of white people) creates many great individuals that wouldn't be possible in that other culture (of black people)".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VideoTapir posted:

How is that the other direction?

Because it's a rejection of the "Great Man" in favor of the "Great Culture".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

I think the former is an extension of the latter, actually.

Plenty of libertarians would disagree with you, but in any case it's very much possible for people to exemplify culture without exemplifying specific people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

on the left posted:

You should have been part of an important racial voting block, then immigration laws wouldn't apply to you. We prioritize the indios.

"Heh, get in line like everyone else".

*uses literally the quickest visa method that takes under a year to process*

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

on the left posted:

Note that you don't have to be anti-immigration to point out the double standards that the US has created for immigrants from Latin American countries vs practically every other country.

Maybe the answer to the H1b problem is not to creat more H1b visas, but just to formally allow companies to hire people without doing even basic due dilligence on immigration status and citizenship. Microsoft and other tech companies could invest hundreds of millions into sneaking people into the US and then playing dumb when it comes to where they came from.

Hmm yes I suppose that if you ignore that these people are willing to do backbreaking work and live in abject poverty for decades that sure is a double standard.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

on the left posted:

I don't know why you'd want to encourage that kind of job creation in the US.

I don't, I want to encourage safe and free access for all workers.

My point is that you're literally parroting GOP nativist rhetoric and assuming they're all just lazy mexicans and are stealing our welfare.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

vssrio23 posted:

What is the connection between winning a robotics competitition and achieving financial success?

Evidently the correlation between losing one is pretty high.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

vssrio23 posted:

That is correct. He was removed because he had no legal right to enroll. It is also likely a fact that he submitted falsed information to the school. College entry forms clearly require you to truthfully submit the status of your immigration status upon request for admission.

It said he dropped out because Arizona passed a law that restricted aid from undocumented immigrants.

quote:

You are also correct. No one did explicitly say that they should be as successful as the MIT students in writing. However, why were the MIT students used as a figure of merit for comparison? Is it not implicit in this article's reasoning, and indeed this documentary's, that these kids could have been as successful as the MIT students if, as you say, they were given a "chance"?

Generally people from MIT are considered, you know, smart and successful.

quote:

My point is that it is absurd to conjecture that by merely winning a robotics competition a student has an equal chance to acheive any type of financial success than runner-up student.
Hmm, it's almost as though the article is stating that the system that makes them unequal is inherently flawed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

vssrio23 posted:

What is the percentage is this "very good chance"? More importantly, after going to this "top university", how do you know each one of these students will be able to mimic their success at the competition during 4 years of advanced-level courses?

Do you know know their grades, attendance, discplinary record, or any of their other qualifications? Is the only thing that gives you faith in them a politicized robotics competition?

Hahaha what is this? Either they're perfect students so being illegal immigrants doesn't matter or they're hooligans and so we shouldn't change the law.

• Locked thread