Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Initiative
Immeral
20) Borsir
19) Alister
18) Gregor
18) Krag
:rolldice: 16) Willy
16) Davenarious
08) Tinathalassa (8 damage)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

Krag immediately picks up the book, hoping for a skeleton or monster to pop out and attack him. If nothing happens he throws it over his shoulder in disgust. He then heads over to search through the clerics things hoping to find an axe.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
They all aren't even dead yet!

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"Get off his body! You bastard! Vulture! DIE!"

As Krag moves in to loot and then walk away, the distraught elf takes an attack of opportunity.

OA vs Krag: 1d20+5 14 1d8+3 10.

Krag falls over with the spellbook still clutched tight in his hands. is missed.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

"KRAG CASTS SHIELD"

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"Noo! I hate wizards!!"

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
So Krag does get the spellbook (then throws it away). And he does go on to loot the cleric. The cleric had a mace, shield, and a pouch of 12 gold.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Willy Hollins

Willy scurries up to the last mercenary and knocks her down and out with one pommel smash from her double daggers. With the danger dealt with at last, she takes the other does the same thing to Krag, then kicks and screams at his stupid unconscious body.

Not really, that last bit was just in her adrenaline-filled imagination. Wasn't it? The silent stares of her companions and two bodies at her feet say otherwise. She bursts into tears and runs to Borsir, clinging to him.

attack, twf; damages: 2#1d20+5 23 25 2#1d4 2+3=5 3 plus

crit damage: 1d4 4

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Tinathalassa collapses in a bloody, smoking mess. She's still alive though. For now. Her fellows in the Order are both dead, including her silent brother.

Krag is out too, his greedy hand still clutching the belt pouch of that dead cleric.

A spellbook and other supplies are nearby. There's also a few small tents set up.

You've made one hell of a mess of things. And right about then Winnie shows up. The big guy hasn't eaten since back at the tower, hours ago. He crashes through the forest and starts sniffing around the bodies.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Borsir Frostbrew

Borsir takes up the book and starts flipping through it. "If nothing else, we can each give this a few read throughs, copying what we'd like from it."

When he notices Winnie sniffing after the bodies, he intercedes and then appeals to the group. "Winnie, no! No eating people! We need to bury them, or at least give them funeral rights. Regardless of the melee here, we should pay them the proper burial respects. Right?"

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The spellbook includes the following: sleep, shield, magic missile, comprehend languages, identify, detect magic.

As you know, one cannot simply start using another's spellbook. They are a deeply personal thing, inscribed in ways that make sense to the caster. Copying any one of these spells, or those from another apprentice into your book takes 2 hours of work and practice, and 50gp in materials. Alarel didn't give that stuff away for free either, so the cost is on you.

And for Winnie, convincing an owlbear not to eat free food isn't easy. Someone will have to get between him and the meal.

It's a DC15 Animal Handling to convince Winnie to not eat the food right in front of him. On a failure he eats a body.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 29, 2014

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Alister Eastwell

"Oh poo poo!" Alister grabs Krag by the feet and drags him away from the other bodies, in the hopes that if Winnie does start chowing down on corpses, he spares our hero.

After getting Krag out to a safe distance, Alister pulls out his healing kit, carefully unwraps and lays out each instrument and supply, and begins to work at Krag's wounds, hoping to prevent death by blood loss, blunt force trauma, or whatever. At the very least he should have a good seat if death turns out to be inevitable. Medicine check:14

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 29, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Krag should be ok, but he remains unconscious. Getting him awake will take some sort of magical healing, or let nature take her course and hope Krag wakes on his own in a few hours.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Alister Eastwell

Having verified Krag's health, Alister moves over to Tinathalassa and takes a look at her wounds. He momentarily weighs the consequences of saving the life of someone who will surely now be a mortal enemy, against showing mercy. Ultimately he gives into his better nature and attempts to save her (medicine check:14) assuming of course that Winnie hasn't helped himself in the meantime.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

He offered her a morningbeer before, but that's as far as Borsir's care goes apparently. While he hypocritically reads the loot of the slain while talking about giving them a funeral, sniffling Willy beckons the owlbear to her with a honey flavored candy treat, then tosses it onto the looted mercenary wizard.

She mutters a response while the pet begins to feast, "Why would you want to memorialize these monsters? They're just as bad as we would've been if we killed the goblin kid who stumbled into our path. And what if more come after them? You think showing them how we killed and buried their scouts will make them treat us any better? Nah, we'll just say 'don't know who you're talking about!' and maybe they'll find some undigested bones in a pile of bear poo poo."

Then she disarms and the unconscious but still living mercenary, mumbling like a mantra, "I found them like this."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Borsir Frostbrew

Borsir tossed the book aside and moved to intercede Winnie when it became clear that nobody else would. He moved to stop the beast, but then Willy's words got through his thick skull: surely the bodies, found buried, would mean war, while bodies mauled by an Owlbear might be overlooked as a Random Encounter. "Blast it, Willy, you're right. It will be better if they're simply eaten, discarded and dead and forgotten, than preserved and treated right. At least I have solace in knowing the goblins would not have likely treated their bodies any better."

So Borsir simply watches the beast, ensuring it doesn't get to close to Tinathalassa, and allows it to grotesquely cover their tracks. But he also keeps an eye on the beast, speaking orders as Alarel sometimes did to it, to ensure it performed the task without risking anyone else's life or limb.
Animal Handling (Untrained, Wis): 1d20+2 18

While the owlbear worked, Borsir thumbed quickly through the spell book. It was easier, in many ways, than trying to calm the visibly upset halfling. Delivering a morning beer was one thing, but calming a person with real troubles was never within his wheelhouse. After a few moments, he spoke again, "As I feared. Killing these folk certainly wasn't the right thing to do. It's a shame Krag pushed the issue to a breaking point. This book isn't full of dark necromancy or anything, just some small cantrips and the like. These people were just here to explore the ruins, find what they could. Perhaps they could have even struck a deal with the village given time, coming and going in peace and bringing profit to the people there."

Sighing, he looks at Alister's work. "How is that one? And what should we do with her? If we leave her alive, we've surely doomed the village to die a cruel death at the hands of their compatriots. But killing her doesn't seem right. I think we should take her back with us, perhaps turn her over to the sheriff."

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Alister Eastwell

"Not sure yet Borsir, she took quite a beating. Things will be a lot easier if she doesn't make it though, as much as I don't want to think about it."

Alister continues working in silence, all the while worrying about his companions. Willy seems to be in the middle of a full on breakdown, and may be near out of her mind. He knew the accident haunted her, but her arrogance and tenacious attitude had done much to hide just how deep the wounds were. It was easy to forget that she wasn't a child, it was an easy mistake to make with her folk. And what was going to happen when Krag came to? He didn't seem to be the type that held a grudge, but who knows?

At least Borsir seemed calm about the situation, that was at least reassuring. Actually maybe he is just drunk again? Pity he wasn't as quick to share of late.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
For anyone taking stock of her equipment, the woman has a pair of scimitars, a longbow and quiver of 20 arrows, and a backpack full of common adventuring supplies including 50' of hempen rope. She is still unconscious and breathing very shallowly.

In addition to the spellbook, the dead wizard had a quarterstaff and a pack full of some typical scholar's equipment: there's a bottle of ink, 10 sheets of parchment, an ink pen, and a little bag of sand.

With his meal of the dead wizard finished, Winnie seems pretty tired. He curls up next to the fire and is hooting himself to sleep once again. Winnie loves his naps.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

"'Killing her doesn't seem right,' 'I don't want to think about it,'" she mocks her colleagues. "You are all useless," spits the halfling as she finishes what she started. Two knives, blade first this time, one in the heart and the other in the left eye. She averts her own rather than look at the mess she's made. "At least one of you with prestidigitation clean me up. The bodies too, if that fat lazy sack of crap is too full to eat we'll need to carry them around for a while. Unless you want to throw them on the fire and prestidigitate them to taste like ranch dressing and go to town."

She approaches, but turns to the unconscious Krag, under the care of Alister, coughs out a forced laugh and turns her mimicry to the mayor's voice, "'If we attract too much attention the Order will just send more men. Those mercs outside town need to be handled delicately. Can you do it?'"

"Durrr, nope! Krag Hack dumber than bag of hammers!"

cdg: 2#2d20k1+5 25 19 2#2d4 3+3 5

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Tinathalassa's eyes flutter open one last time, moments before the knives strike her heart.

"Curse you! I call upon Baelas, Lord of the Sun! You will burn under his gaze!"

The knives strike home. As her life quickly fades, her voice diminishes. She dies with a prayer on her lips.

"Deliver me. Give me a sign, Baelas..."

Then her eyes close and she is dead.

Just then, a breeze blows through the camp. The campfire flickers ominously. A single sheet of parchment is blown from one of the tents and lands next to the fire. It almost burns...

It's a map.

Willy, you gain a point of Inspiration for seeing the deed through. Though perhaps it has changed you for the worse.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

"Lightfingers!" incants the halfling, whose Mage Hand can snatch the map safely out of the fire without burning herself or bloodying it.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Alister Eastwell

Alister turns red with anger, before the color drains and his composure is somewhat regained. "Clean yourself up you infernal half wit, assuming you can manage that much without getting someone killed" he says coldly before gathering up his things.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The map shows the area not as it is now, for the goblin town is not visible, but as it was long ago. Perhaps the elves unearthed it somewhere. It has an old feel to it, a brittlness to the parchment and a faded quality to the ink work. Regardless of origin, it is now a treasure map.

The fountain at the center of town is clearly marked. Around it are numerous smaller buildings, houses perhaps. Those are long-gone. Most other features and parts of the map are crossed off with a far newer ink. It seems this party had been digging through the past before you caught up with them. They must not have found anything of value yet.

Orienting the map based on the nearby hills, the map shows a large lake near your current position. You didn't see that from up on the hill. Next to the lake is a symbol of the sun god Baelas. Perhaps a temple or the like. Maybe these Order folks left it alone out of respect.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Borsir Frostbrew

The color drains from Borsir's face as the halfling moves to murder the woman, and turns away from the deed. Back in the tower, lectures and notes and studying kept them busy, and it kept them safe from the realities of the world. But now here was little Willy, murdering a woman without cause, and acting like it was the only course of action. When the cries died away, he turned back, his jaw set, his tone derisive. Even after Alister's outburst, he decided he should make one of his own. "Sure she isn't. Willy, shall we now gut Winnie to, for the inconvenience he has caused us? Or are you quite done with your murderous outburst now, little one? Back home they'd have you at Trials for what you just did."

The map is a secondary thought to him, and he puts on his best glower and focuses it on the short woman.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Are you taking a short rest (1 hour) to use arcane recovery, or calling it a day for a long rest so Krag can recover?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Alister Eastwell

"We need to get away from this camp, after which I think Krag could use a little time to recuperate. Winnie should be able to carry him easy enough, we can grab some of the camping gear as well. It hardly matters if they catch us with it, seeing as I don't imagine they are going to greet any strangers warmly once they find the remains of this place" Alister then moves over to the tents and supply packs and conducts a quick search for food and other supplies.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

"Nah, Winnie's the only thing helping me save the village and us by covering up this clusterfuck. Don't even pretend there's any other way this was going to end. It was her or us, you heard her waking up, saw her waving those swords around. What else were you gonna do? Turn her over to the goblins and have her stand trial for attempting to kill us? Fail another Charm spell? Or pour her a beer and try come to an understanding like reasonable people? Some soldier you are. The only thing you've ever killed is a barrel of ale. And you, snob, want me to clean up after myself, like I'm the only one who killed anybody today? Fine!" She flicks blood at him. Just because he killed from afar with a cantrip doesn't make him any better than her.

That's how it goes in Willy's imagination. In reality she just ignores them, washes her hands with her waterskin, and wipes her daggers off on the dead elf's cape. She murmurs quietly in response, "You want to call the shots now? Be my guest. I'm tired."

A stable creature that isn’t healed regains 1 hit point after 1d4 hours, so, short rest.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Everyone clearly needs a few minutes to themselves after what you've all just seen or done. Awkward silence dominates for a bit, interrupted only by Winnie's snoring. About an hour later, Krag finally comes around and sits up.

Where to?

Krag is now at 1HP. This is a short rest, so you can use Arcane Recovery and spend Hit Dice. See the basic rules for that stuff.

Btw, we are at 180XP per person. 300 needed for level 2. You don't have to keep track, just an FYI.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

Krag snaps bolt upright, confused and disappointed that he inexplicitly missed the fight.

"KRAG not sleepy anymore. What Krag miss?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Immeral Liadon

Immeral is torn. On the one hand he is not happy about killing, or at least nearly killing, another elf. Nor is he happy to watch the wizard get eaten, yet he is somewhat tempted to take out a parchment and ink to sketch Winnie eating, to immortalize the workings of the beast's jaws. But the scene is a bit bloody and gruesome for even his detached attitude.

It is some time before he brings himself to move or speak. Despite Willy's somewhat crazed attitude he does offer to clean her off if she still needs help. Is he happy about what she did? No. But he does actually agree that disguising the battle as the rampaging of a wild beast instead of an ambush would likely lead to less trouble in the future. He doesn't have to like it, but he sees the sense in it.

That said for the whole hour he is rather quiet. When Krag finally awakes he simply answers the man quietly. "The loss of innocence."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Borsir Frostbrew

He gives the map a glance over (assuming Willy will allow it), and studies it while they all take a short rest. Finally, he says. "I think we should get some rest, sure, but it may be better to move their camp from here to the lake on this map. Make it look like they were not killed in the night. More track-covering. If we aren't going to, though, we should head back, find an inn for the night, and go there in the morning."

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Alister Eastwell

"That makes sense Borsir. I don't think it will fool anyone if they have any skilled trackers in their ranks, but we may luck out so it's worth a shot"

Alister walks over to Krag. "To put things mildly, things could have gone better. You took a knock to the head during the fighting..." Alister gives Krag a detached but accurate account of the events that occurred after Krag was knocked out.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
To the lake?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

Krag gets big smile on his face at the news Willy murdered the Order party.

"Good work willy! You kill wizzies as good as Krag! Krag had a nap already but Krag could always go for another. Krag bored now though, Krag think we should go to the lake now."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

"Ok"

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Alister Eastwell

"The lake makes some sense, but Winnie should eat again before we leave. Given the menu, I don't want to pack him a lunch."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
It's mid-afternoon by the time you all head out for the lake and the mysterious site marked on your map. As you near the area, you don't find a lake at all. Who knows how many years old this map was?

But there are a few encouraging signs. Scattered around are the same white stones that you saw at the fountain and throughout the goblin town.

And about a dozen yards from a large concentration of stones, covered in underbrush, is a fault in the earth. It's simply a hole, a crevasse about 6 foot long and a few feet wide. A sinkhole? It drops down into darkness.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

"Literally Lightfingers," incants the halfling, casting a Light spell on a river stone and grabbing it with a Mage Hand that she uses like a lamp-on-a-pole. An invisible, thirty-foot, magic pole that can safely explore the abyss.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Magical light reveals about a 20-foot sheer drop. At the bottom is a lot of rubble mixed with mud, but you also see hints of white stone under the mess. There's a passageway down there! But how to get down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

Willy uses the 50 feet of rope the mercenary left behind to make a way down, then descends, silently.

• Locked thread