Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pointy corpse
Jul 7, 2014

Sweet. I tried to play this once, but couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try again sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

oh my gosh, this game is charming as hell

i have never played a Mother game, much to my regret.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Mother 3 isn't all dark and depressing. It's still pretty goofy and light-hearted a lot of the time too! I'd agree that I prefer the more upbeat Earthbound myself, though another small reason I'm doing this LP is to see if I may end up liking this game more in the end since there were a few things in this game that really impressed me, including one thing I think this game did the best out of any game I've ever played. But more on that when I get to it.

As someone who waited 12-something years under the impression Earthbound 2/Mother 3 would one day grace my game set and take me on another adventure that was truly magical, I have to admit that as much was I love M3, there were some disappointments. M3 despite having a better story and Lucas being an immensely sympathetic protagonist feels... I guess truncated? Not because Eagleland/Winters/et. all is certainly more massive than the Nowhere Islands, but something about the way the game progresses makes me feel like there's alot of cut story somewhere.

Not at this point though; the first chapter is one of the strongest in the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The Lucas stuff was the prologue, essentially. The first real chapter starts here, with a town in chaos thanks to some pig-clad creatures being irresponsible with explosives and causing a forest fire.

The object in this guy's hands is a siren, which he keeps turning as he runs like a madman.

It's a fire! A fire, a fire! The Sunshine Forest is on fire in a huge, fiery, flamey fire!!

This is Flint, father of Lucas and Claus.

The menu has its own nice relaxing music. Flint starts with a hat, with his special ability as being able to use strength on stuff.

Swing damages all enemies, Power Smash does more damage at the cost of a low chance to hit, and Strengthen/Toughen Up boosts offense and defense respectively.

You can nap if you're a jerk.

Flint is a shepherd, so the family having a wool spinner makes sense.

It's the forest! The forest, the forest! The forest is on fire!!!

Geez! Who would lock their door in a village as peaceful as ours?! Flint!

Why'd you hafta come off at a time like this?!

I mean, Flint! This is no time to be dozing off! There's a huge fire in the Sunshine Forest!

Bad times like this call for reckless nice guys like you! Please come, Flint!!!

Eh, no thanks.

Too bad! Anyway, Thomas has no abilities or real stats, clearly just a temporary character to take hits for us if we get into battles.

What? What's so wrong with that? I happen to like following behind people!

Anyway, first thing to do obviously is talk to our dog.

Hey! Flint! That stick should make a good weapon in case anything happens. Be sure to equip it first, though. Just holding on to it'll make it as useful as a caramel.

Equipping weapons and armor works just like every other video game.

(It's really noisy out. You're supposed to be quiet at night. I'm a good dog, so I'm being quiet.)

The animals aren't really liking this noise any.

There's also lots of save frogs about. Between the next five screens, there are three save frogs. Literally the next screen up also has a save frog. Note that there are no battles in these five screens.

When leaving the house, new music plays.

A few recovery items on the way to Sunshine Forest. Nut Bread restores 30HP.

We won't get to Sunshine Forest today, or even get into any battles. No, what's most important is meeting some of the NPCs in this village. Appreciate it since I've had to do sprites for every single one of them.

The whole sky north of here is pitch black with smoke.

The next screen up is the town square, where there's lots of town residents wandering about.

Claus and Lucas and Hinawa will be stuck out there.

The Funshine Sorest is on tire!!

These two are Thomas's children, around the same age as Lucas and Claus.

There's several stores about, but obviously we can't go into any of them right now. This store, of course, belongs to our current party member.

Th-the Sunshine Forest is on fire? Oh... Umm, uhh...

Sure, the more the merrier.

No, I mean, umm... Sorry... I'll leave everything to you today, Flint.

Whatever.

If that's true, we better get our butts out of here before the fire engulfs our village, too!

One of the few reasonable people here, apparently.

You'd better not cause too much trouble for Flint!

As you probably guessed, Lisa is Thomas's wife.

You should probably take whatever Thomas says with a grain of salt. That's just the kind of person he is.

Eh, I don't know if I'd risk disregarding someone screaming about a massive fire that might destroy the town I live in, but whatever floats your boat.

No exploring right now, of course.

Just hearing there was a *cough* fire has me *cough* *hack* coughing uncontrollably. I'm ultra-sensitive to things, you know? By the way, if you'd prefer to run instead of walk, I recommend trying the "Dash" ability.

Please, feel free to take one with you.

Hey, someone useful!

You're worried about Lighter's shack deep inside the Sunshine Forest, yes? I've marked that area on the map for you.

Forgot to tell you how to check the map, didn't I? To check the map, you need to - how do I put this?

To put it more bluntly, I guess do something R Button-ish?

By doing something R Button-ish, you can look at your map. Red dot at the bottom-right is where we're at, while our target destination is circled top-center.

Go check out the fire! Quickly! Chop-chop! If the fire spreads here, to Tazmily Village, my honor, my estate, and I will all go up in smoke, literally!

Why do you force me to explain such simple things to you?!

And if you talk to him again...

Please don't make me repeat myself! North, as in north-south-east-west! Just go north! Do things simply not register with you the first time you hear them or something?!

This wonderful person is our mayor. He's obviously not running for re-election anytime soon.

And as I mentioned earlier, there's another frog here for some reason.

Now to the north.

The Sunshine Forest, which is to the west of Cross Road and past the Prayer Sanctuary, is apparently on fire like crazy!

This one only restores 20HP.

Rather than being a generic zombie joke, this is much more likely a nice callback to Earthbound and its own zombie-infested cemetary.

The other gift is a Nut Bread. All consumables so far.

If you lose your way, be sure to check sign posts and message boards. I'm telling you this out of the kindness of my heart, just so you know!

Abbey and Abbot are married.

Anyway, the signpost tells us the Sunshine Forest is west, as does our map, so on we go. But there's just one more person to talk to...

This is Leder, who is thankfully a mute or else his dialogue would stretch your computer screen horribly. He's also ringing a bell, though he actually always does that rather than doing it as a fire alarm.

(Sparrow Advice! For this little bit, I'm going to use game lingo rather than comparisons. You can bring up the menu by pressing Start! Starting from the left, the menu selections are Goods, Equip, Status, and Sleep. At present, you can use the control pad to select one of those four. By choosing a menu option and pressing the A Button, you can find out all sorts of things you might want to know! Lastly, about the rightmost "Sleep" menu option. If you choose this Sleep option and press the A Button, you can pause the game! The batteries won't drain very much while the game is in Sleep Mode, so don't worry. When you want to start the game again, just press Select and the L and R Buttons all at the same time!)

HELL NO

Chirp-chirp. (A sparrow fluent in game lingo is pretty rarrow, wouldn't you say? I mean, rare. Well, this time I'll be sparrow-like for sure and...)

All I have to say is that I had to rip that sparrow sprite from one of my screenshots since I don't think anyone made a sprite sheet for it. Everything else, talk to the bird.

What should I do...?

Next area has these two.

But ol' Lighter and li'l Fuel are still stuck in the forest...

Talk to Lou again, and...

Yeesh. What a bonehead of a partner...

Quit pushing that... *wheeze* *gasp* Quit it...
See what I have to put up with?

Quit pushing that... *wheeze* *gasp* Keep pushing that and I'll be sick...

Just so you know, if something bad happens to me, it's all because YOU kept pressing that stupid thing!

Oops.

Bud and Lou are references to Bud Abbot and Lou Costello.

(Sparrow Advice! Got a minute? If you're ever out of strength or find yourself poisoned, a dip in a hot spring is best for what ails you. But it's important that you stay in the water for a while for it to be effective. And actually, there's a nice hot spring right inside the Sunshine Forest, too. Now, to end this with a sparrow-like...

I kinda like these sparrows, it's like they're doing my job of explaining things to you guys for me.

We'll end our update in this place.

Oh, Flint. Good to see you here. I think it's only proper to offer a prayer here before going into the forest.

My name? Well, let's see... Ah yes!

Oh wait, that's not it! Well, this is awkward, I seem to have forgotten my name...

Quick, what's my name? (e: 16 character limit)

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 8, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I really don't know if it's the actual intent of the game, but the people of Tazmily are all horrible unhelpful jerks who deserve to lose their homes.

P.S. Your name is Lord Wigglybottom.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 24, 2014

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Given what the game encouraged us to do with the family's names, surely we are Goons.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Given what the game encouraged us to do with the family's names, surely we are Goons.

I'd have to go with this one this time around too. Goons it is.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
No, I think you had the name right to begin with.

Or it's Goons. Even though it's barely ever (never? Can't quite remember) brought up again, I'd rather have a relatively normal answer.

Now, I haven't played beyond the first part of Earthbound (couldn't get past the arcade, it seemed like the game wanted me to grind and I didn't, and I came to it after playing this, so the lack of a combo system was bugging me, so I left it; gonna go back to it now that it's actually on VC, though), but I don't know what people talk about when they say this game isn't as charming as it, or what-have-you. The humour is rooted a lot in the game being, whether intentionally or not, incredibly dry with you.

Fister Roboto posted:

I really don't know if it's the actual intent of the game, but the people of Tazmily are all horrible unhelpful jerks who deserve to lose their homes.

We'll cover this later in more detail, but for now, I'll say that the people of Tazmily Village are incredibly, unabashedly, genuine. Genuine and honest. They have no need to hide their personality and what they feel. We don't get much of a look at the village because we're on high alert and going to the fire right now, but at the start of the next chapter we'll be seeing how life normally goes in the village.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
No, Mega64. You are The Goons.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Wilhelm!

Just because it was the first thing in my mind: The thought of Kaiser Wilhelm playing a video game.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I'm going to jump on the Goons :bandwagon:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

frozentreasure posted:

We'll cover this later in more detail, but for now, I'll say that the people of Tazmily Village are incredibly, unabashedly, genuine. Genuine and honest. They have no need to hide their personality and what they feel. We don't get much of a look at the village because we're on high alert and going to the fire right now, but at the start of the next chapter we'll be seeing how life normally goes in the village.

I've played the game before. I just wasn't sure if they were intended to come across as worthless jerks or not.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Our name is clearly Lowtax.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Alpha3KV posted:

No, Mega64. You are The Goons.

This guy, right here.
You are The Goons.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Our name is Goons, for we are many.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Make it Goons. Worked for Leave's LP and it'll work for this one.

Edit: whoops, used his real name.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 24, 2014

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Goons for the above reason. It's no Bowser, but the next best thing.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Also going with Goons.

Also: The guy who did the translation has quite a few (Spoilery) words regarding the technical nitty-gritty aspects. It's really an interesting read.

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 24, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Fister Roboto posted:

I've played the game before.

I thought that might be the case a few seconds after I posted, but it's worth reading for anyone who hasn't. I think their characterisation was intentional, but I don't think I'd say "worthless jerks".

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Edward_Tohr posted:

Also going with Goons.

Also: The guy who did the translation has quite a few words regarding the technical nitty-gritty aspects. It's really an interesting read.

Just a warning that this has spoilers, but yeah, really interesting read if you've already played the game.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Obviously, the name is Beats Pigs. Also, glad to see someone doing an LP on this. Can't wait to see how it all pans out.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Make it Goons. Worked for Leave's LP and it'll work for this one.

Edit: whoops, used his real name.

Exactly for this reason we should take a new name. Doing the same thing over and over again is boring.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Edward_Tohr posted:

Also going with Goons.

Also: The guy who did the translation has quite a few (Spoilery) words regarding the technical nitty-gritty aspects. It's really an interesting read.

Wait a minute.

According to that, then, our name should very clearly be HARD MODE.

Come on everyone what kind of goons would we be if we stood in the way of the LPer selecting hard mode?

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

Wait a minute.

According to that, then, our name should very clearly be HARD MODE.

Come on everyone what kind of goons would we be if we stood in the way of the LPer selecting hard mode?

I haven't read the link but, if there truly is a hard mode, I second this vote

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hard Mode, huh? Anyone have any experience with it? According to Tomato's blog,

quote:

“So, how exactly does it make the game harder?” you probably asked ten paragraphs ago. Well, it:

Doubles enemies’ HP
Quadruples enemies’ speed

Is it a nice difficulty spike, or does it just make the game more tedious? If it actually makes combat more interesting and strategic, I'd do it. Not worth the effort though if it just makes everything drag out longer without changing much else.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I tried it a few years ago and noticed some changes, but not too much. I don't think it was too tedious, but I don't remember significantly changing my strategy in some fights too much. Some boss fights did become brick walls, but past a certain point, it kind of became unnoticeable. Honestly, seemed more like a nice little extra than anything really significant.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nichol and Richie? Oh, this game. :allears:

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Also voting for Goons.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

Is it a nice difficulty spike, or does it just make the game more tedious? If it actually makes combat more interesting and strategic, I'd do it. Not worth the effort though if it just makes everything drag out longer without changing much else.
Wish I knew as well, but it kinda reminds me of the anti-piracy measures in Earthbound that would triple the amount of enemies on screen and raise their aggressiveness so the game would be unenjoyable for players.

Also, Goons is my pick.

basch
May 24, 2014

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Our name is clearly Lowtax.

Seconding this! Even if Goons will probably win at this point.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

basch posted:

Seconding this! Even if Goons will probably win at this point.

I change my vote from my own poo poo to this. At least "Lowtax" is fresh and new!

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Lowtax

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Voting for HARD MODE

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Jumping on the Lowtax train.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Goons It's gotta be Goons, goon-dammit!

Itoi really doesn't like mayors/politicians, I see; Pusher may not be Pirkle/Montolli corrupt, but he sure seems kinda inept and willing to force other people to shoulder burdens. It's about the 4th unreliable mayor instance in the series.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Doubling down on Goons.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Definitely Goons. This game's hard mode strikes me as being kinda bullshit.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Obviously we are Lowtax

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Go for Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
This thread has my blessing.

Best Regards,
RG

• Locked thread